2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there an accepted students facebook page?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone on their interview waitlist that heard back yet? I'm not sure if we are supposed to contact them..?

Members don't see this ad :)
For current students, does the school still provide a medical kit with a stethoscope and other tools? They have it on their website for the inaugural class of 2017, but I didnt see anything for 2018 or 2019.

For current students, does the school still provide a medical kit with a stethoscope and other tools? They have it on their website for the inaugural class of 2017, but I didnt see anything for 2018 or 2019.
Yep, they provide everything (including two sets of scrubs and a white coat). Textbooks will also be provided electronically. You will need to buy your own computer though.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 1/19. First acceptance of the cycle today!!!!!:love::love::love:

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed: 1/19
Waitlisted: 2/1

Does anybody know if they would accept updates if you are on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/19, Accepted 2/1. Feeling extremely blessed to be accepted into DO program!

Best of luck to the rest of you! Will be removing my name from all other schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 1/18. Waitlisted today. I thought I had done pretty great in the interviews... guess not. Hopefully I'll be accepted later on

I was wondering does the school do automatic secondaries or if you receive a secondary do you actually have a chance of acceptance. I recently received a secondary and was wondering if anyone knew?

I was wondering does the school do automatic secondaries or if you receive a secondary do you actually have a chance of acceptance. I recently received a secondary and was wondering if anyone knew?
you do have a chance, and must complete the secondary before being eligible for an interview invitation.

Reactions: 3 users
Does UIW ever reject post-interview, or does everyone who isn’t accepted get thrown onto the waitlist?

Earlier in the thread I saw some people saying they got rejected. Still no acceptance from the waitlist :/

Earlier in the thread I saw some people saying they got rejected. Still no acceptance from the waitlist :/
Keep waiting, there will probably be a lot of movement.

Do they send out pre-II rejections? Also, any insights on the “your application is still being considered” email?

Congrats!!!

Any chance you guys can post your sGPA and MCAT stats?!

Thnx!

MCAT: 502
128/122/126/126
cGPA - 3.1
sGPA -3.74

I also did a masters program in business and my GPA throughout was 3.82. I have a lot of scribing hours (~2000), was a youth leader for about 5 years, and was pretty active in various organizations on campus.

Are COMLEX scores posted anywhere for this school?

Are interviews still being handed out? Or are all interview spots full, which is why there is an interview waitlist?

I called them yesterday to follow up on this. Secondary received on 8/14/18. Secondary submitted 9/4/18. They told me that I'm on a pre-interview hold and that they can't guarantee that I will be granted an interview spot at this point. Still trying to be hopeful!

Do they send out pre-II rejections? Also, any insights on the “your application is still being considered” email?

I called them last week about this. They left me a voice message saying they interview up until next month and that my application is still being considered. However, they also said they could not guarantee that I will get an II at this point :( Hoping there's still a chance for us!

When did you submit your primary?

Does anyone have any idea where the OMS-III will be doing their rotations in San Antonio?? I was wondering if we get to work with Baptist Memorial or UT Health Science Center.

Does anyone have any idea where the OMS-III will be doing their rotations in San Antonio?? I was wondering if we get to work with Baptist Memorial or UT Health Science Center.
If I remember correctly, they said that they had organized rotations win Baptist, Methodist, and Christus Santa Rosa in San Antonio, as well as community medical centers in Laredo and Kerrville. They said that they avoided doing the required rotations at University Hospital so there wasn't any fighting over slots with UT Heath Science Center. The selective and elective rotations are available at University if that is somewhere you are interested in residency at.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone that was accepted this year receive a journal in the mail?

I received one but the package was torn and open when I got it in my mailbox. I just wanted to confirm that it only included a journal and a letter? I hope I am not missing anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone that was accepted this year receive a journal in the mail?

I received one but the package was torn and open when I got it in my mailbox. I just wanted to confirm that it only included a journal and a letter? I hope I am not missing anything.
That is all I received as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Pre-interview waitlisted today. I suppose that I should take solace in that I am at least good enough that an outright rejection was not in order.

Pre-interview waitlisted today. I suppose that I should take solace in that I am at least good enough that an outright rejection was not in order.
I think that's what I received today too.

Can anyone speak to how prepared students are for the USMLE? From my understanding, the curriculum is most of it not all free response questions/small group discussions, and I'm worried that might not translate well to an exclusively multiple choice exam

Can anyone speak to how prepared students are for the USMLE? From my understanding, the curriculum is most of it not all free response questions/small group discussions, and I'm worried that might not translate well to an exclusively multiple choice exam

USMLE is optional for DO students. Their 2nd class is currently studying for the COMLEX so there is no data yet! Any current students want to comment on this??

Current OMS-II here. We only have to be in class from 8-12pm and that has allowed for ample time to dedicate for board studying since year 1. Additionally, most of the OMS-IIs have purchased UWorld and are going to be doing thousands of practice questions. Doing countless board style questions is highly correlated with score on the USMLE. Lastly, the curriculum has appeared to be testing very board relevant information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Current OMS-II here. We only have to be in class from 8-12pm and that has allowed for ample time to dedicate for board studying since year 1. Additionally, most of the OMS-IIs have purchased UWorld and are going to be doing thousands of practice questions. Doing countless board style questions is highly correlated with score on the USMLE. Lastly, the curriculum has been appearing to be testing very board relevant information.

Does UIWSOM have special pricing for UWorld or did you have to purchase directly from UWorld? Is it worth purchasing starting your first year, and completing questions after each unit? Thanks!

Does UIWSOM have special pricing for UWorld or did you have to purchase directly from UWorld? Is it worth purchasing starting your first year, and completing questions after each unit? Thanks!
UIW did not purchase UWorld for us because it did not have an osteopathic component. However, we had enough people in the class interested to receive special pricing. On the other hand, UIWSOM did purchase Kaplan for us and we are required to do 150 questions each unit. The Kaplan questions are a little different from the UWorld ones but it is still good practice.

Does anyone know is it’s worth sending in an update for a pre-interview hold

Any chance anyone has heard about acceptances or rejections from interviewing 2/21 -- 2/22 ?

Super nervous! I thought the MMIs were very difficult compared to other schools!!