***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applying to an SMP... good luck with your cycle guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

1. Hello! I am really looking for some advice on my chances of getting in this cycle with my stats. I am an Ohio resident and an 22 year old African-American female. Traditionalapplicant with a gap year.
    GPA: cGPA= 3.51 sGPA= 3.13 with an upward trend. No Ds or Fs
    MCAT: first attempt: 499 (125-125-124-125) second attempt 503 (126-123-127-127)
    EC: Cello, choir, theatre, orchestra for 4 years
    Shadowing: 30 hours with mostly primary care physicians
    Volunteering: Clinical- ambassador at OSU East and University Hospitals volunteer
    Community: over 100 hours as a camp counselor for inner city youth, Habitat for humanity, served lunch for elderly, miscellaneous, cleaned up local park
    Research: worked as a lab helper for 10 months in a research lab. Doing a CBPR with American heart association.
    Work experience: 2 years retail in high school. I worked as lab helper, campus safety officer, early reading tutor, Physics TA, and tutor during undergrad often working two jobs at a time.

This is current list, please give any input:
    Case Western Reserve (I am legacy. Both parents graduated and father and aunt attended Case Medical)
    University of Toledo
    Ohio State Medical
    University of Cincinatti
    Wright State
    Wayne State
    Morehouse
    Meharrey
    University of Illinois
    Loyola
    Indiana University
    Central Michigan
    Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

DO: Ohio University

#56Today at 12:52 AM
    Last edited: Today at 1:00 AM
    + Quote Reply
Previous Thread Next Thread
< Prev1

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll do great, also happy to see another Haitian-American here so I'm rooting for you ☺️
Hey did you do an SMP or something ? I notice your Lizzy score was a 62 but u had 6 acceptences

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you who scored 509+ on the MCAT, how'd you do it?lol

I take mine May 24 and needless to say I don't feel confident at all! I'm so stressed!

I take mine May 24 and needless to say I don't feel confident at all! I'm so stressed!
FL exams + review of every question... patterns will develop and you will figure out the test

Reactions: 1 user

Practice >>>> Content Review (at least for me)

I did a ton of practice in Biology because that was my weak area. I would say identify your weaknesses ASAP and do a bunch of review and practice problems on that. At least 5 FL, more if you have time. Each FL will help you identify what your strengths and weaknesses are. Also, the EK 101 Passages books significantly helped me. They were very difficult, but gave me a lot of preperation for the real thing.

Reactions: 1 users
My neuroticism is getting the best of me!
21 years old, M, AA
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 524
~250 hours clinical volunteering
~400 hours Tutoring at BGC
Volunteer Biology TA (2 years)
~100 hours shadowing (in OR)
Leadership position in pre-med club (1 year)
Poster presentation at Neuroscience Conference
Missions Trip to Haiti

Tentative School List:
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Duke
UF
Harvard
Stanford
UWash
UChicago
NYU
UPenn
Columbia

Is this reasonable? Suggestions greatly appreciated!

My neuroticism is getting the best of me!
21 years old, M, AA
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 524
~250 hours clinical volunteering
~400 hours Tutoring at BGC
Volunteer Biology TA (2 years)
~100 hours shadowing (in OR)
Leadership position in pre-med club (1 year)
Poster presentation at Neuroscience Conference
Missions Trip to Haiti

Tentative School List:
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Duke
UF
Harvard
Stanford
UWash
UChicago
NYU
UPenn
Columbia

Is this reasonable? Suggestions greatly appreciated!
As long as you're not a sociopath/psychopath, any school is reasonable. Apply to your heart's content.

Add Mayo!

Reactions: 4 users
This is my first time going thru the cycle. I'm super excited!!!

Practice >>>> Content Review (at least for me)

I did a ton of practice in Biology because that was my weak area. I would say identify your weaknesses ASAP and do a bunch of review and practice problems on that. At least 5 FL, more if you have time. Each FL will help you identify what your strengths and weaknesses are. Also, the EK 101 Passages books significantly helped me. They were very difficult, but gave me a lot of preperation for the real thing.

My MCAT is not above a 509, but I would like to emphasize this. I only did a diagnostic, the AAMC section banks, & the official AAMC 2-3 FLs due to low $$ & time, but my score went up by at least 2-3 points with every FL. This is definitely something I would do differently (even though it worked out in the end ;)).

Please make time and save some $$ for Full Length MCAT practice tests, & don't be afraid to get them from multiple sources (but don't waste the AAMC ones too early). It makes a world of difference & I was almost too mellow at my actual test because I felt more comfortable (& my score still went up by 2 more points on test day).

Hi everyone!

Suuuper nervous and excited about this cycle.

I'm URM (Latino). Was wondering if I could ask your guys' advice. I have kinda mixed stats, 3.87 GPA and 511 MCAT. Lots of people are telling me to apply to some top schools but I feel like my MCAT is too low to get any love. I was thinking about just playing it safe. I do have really strong ECs though - WedgeDawg gave me a score of 82. Lots of research, volunteering, shadowing, leadership positions.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice! And good luck to everyone else! :)

Hi everyone!

Suuuper nervous and excited about this cycle.

I'm URM (Latino). Was wondering if I could ask your guys' advice. I have kinda mixed stats, 3.87 GPA and 511 MCAT. Lots of people are telling me to apply to some top schools but I feel like my MCAT is too low to get any love. I was thinking about just playing it safe. I do have really strong ECs though - WedgeDawg gave me a score of 82. Lots of research, volunteering, shadowing, leadership positions.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice! And good luck to everyone else! :)

Why not do both? I also like the WedgeDawg scoring system & I feel it was pretty accurate as to the schools that responded best to my application. I would use that percentage breakdown that it gives you, but not too strictly & add in some safety/lower-tier schools, your state schools, and any others that interest you. As a stronger applicant you have more options, but it doesn't hurt to put a few regional or lower-tier schools on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys go about narrowing down your schools? I am interested in MD/PhD so schools with strong programs in the research area I am interested in are very important. However, the schools that have strong research don't really have a strong track record of service to the community. Service is very important to me, as I grew up in extreme poverty (relative to the reset of the US population) and definitely want to give back to my community. Its getting difficult to pick schools to apply to.

As long as you're not a sociopath/psychopath, any school is reasonable. Apply to your heart's content.

Add Mayo!
Will do!
I am primarily concerned about my relative lack of ECs compared to some (perhaps a plurality) of the apps I’ve seen on here; specifically, that it will serve as a great hindrance at Ivies.

Will do!
I am primarily concerned about my relative lack of ECs compared to some (perhaps a plurality) of the apps I’ve seen on here; specifically, that it will serve as a great hindrance at Ivies.
I was quite similar to you and did fine!

Does anyone know what new med schools are opening up for this cycle???

Hi all,

My dream is to attend a top 20 school. Can anyone chance me/give any advice on a school list? My idea is to apply to ~7-8 top 20 programs, ~7-8 20-40, then 7 FL schools.

GPA: 3.58cgpa 3.60sgpa (upward trend, 3.80 avg senior year)
Major: Chemistry
MCAT: 514 (130/127/128/129)
Background: First-generation (Hispanic), low-income, top 3 LAC, FL resident
EC: D1 varsity rowing (4 years), summer science program for URM undergraduate students (2 years), SMDEP (elected Vice President)
Research: 4 years undergrad: 1 in physics lab, 3 in biochemistry. Senior thesis, posters, no pubs, but was awarded Highest Honors. Currently doing 2 gap years at an ivy affiliate, will be part of multiple pubs.
Volunteering: Hospital volunteer starting in January. Will continue throughout the app cycle, hopefully finish with ~100-150 hours
Shadowing: 150 hours (50 internal medicine, 100 neurosurgery)

Your app looks pretty good stat, research, and EC wise. But your lack of clinical and non-clinical hours will be a red flag. Do you not have any hours? If not I think that might hold you back from some schools.

Your app looks pretty good stat, research, and EC wise. But your lack of clinical and non-clinical hours will be a red flag. Do you not have any hours? If not I think that might hold you back from some schools.

My other EC's during college (research, athletics) prevented me from being able to do much volunteer work, and most of my summer experiences were geared towards shadowing/clinical experience. I started hospital volunteering this year (about 5 months of experience now) and will have about 50 hours by the time I submit AMCAS. I plan to continue it throughout the cycle though, so by the time I matriculate it will likely be closer to 150 hours.

My other EC's during college (research, athletics) prevented me from being able to do much volunteer work, and most of my summer experiences were geared towards shadowing/clinical experience. I started hospital volunteering this year (about 5 months of experience now) and will have about 50 hours by the time I submit AMCAS. I plan to continue it throughout the cycle though, so by the time I matriculate it will likely be closer to 150 hours.

You should try to do some volunteering before you submit in my opinion. Once you submit, it doesn’t really matter if you keep on volunteering and getting hours. Getting 100 more hours isn’t really worth an update letter.

You should try to do some volunteering before you submit in my opinion. Once you submit, it doesn’t really matter if you keep on volunteering and getting hours. Getting 100 more hours isn’t really worth an update letter.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. I am doing volunteering right now, currently. Are you saying I should be doing something additional on top of that?

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. I am doing volunteering right now, currently. Are you saying I should be doing something additional on top of that?

Sorry if I misunderstood. You said you were going to continue your hours through the application cycle. I meant that once you submit in June/July even if you continue volunteering through say next May, the hours after you submit won’t matter because the school won’t have that when you’re being selected for an interview. My advice is to try to get as much volunteering in before you submit your application. Pick up some extra shifts or something. Try volunteering at a nursing home or something like. I don’t mean to worry you or anything, I was super light on shadowing when I applied, so I had some gaps on my application. But you have some time to fix them before you submit.

Hi Everyone! Good luck to all of you on this application cycle! I would love to get some advice on the schools on my list (or lack thereof) as I feel my ECs are strong but my academics have not been as high as I would have wanted so finding the balance has been hard. I only plan to apply to MD programs and have a range of "safety" to far reach on my list. Thanks so much!

21 years old, Female , Black (1st Gen American-Cameroonian),
Major: Biochemistry GPA: 3.5cgpa, ~3.3sgpa MCAT: 506
*100 hours clinical volunteering giving direct healthcare in underserved communities w/ Harvard Med
*~500 hours of non-clinical volunteering
*Peer Mentor: Both for Honors Program and sole student mentor for all of Pre-Health
*Chemistry TA & Physics Grader (2 years)
*~50 hours shadowing (both domestically and abroad)
*~400 hours of Biostatistical Research in Uganda (research presented at Global Health Conference in 2018)
*Leadership position in Black Student Organization, Acapella Group
*Intern in Office of Undergrad Admissions (2yrs)
Current Schools list:
Howard University College of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Morehouse School of Medicine
Mercer University School of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
University of Arizona College of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University
Tulane University School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
University of Alabama School of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Emory University School of Medicine
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine
Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
The University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
Nova Southeastern

Hi Everyone! Good luck to all of you on this application cycle! I would love to get some advice on the schools on my list (or lack thereof) as I feel my ECs are strong but my academics have not been as high as I would have wanted so finding the balance has been hard. I only plan to apply to MD programs and have a range of "safety" to far reach on my list. Thanks so much!

*100 hours clinical volunteering giving direct healthcare in underserved communities w/ Harvard Med
*Peer Mentor: Both for Honors Program and sole student mentor for all of Pre-Health
*~400 hours of Biostatistical Research in Uganda (research presented at Global Health Conference in 2018)
Current Schools list:
Meharry Medical College
Nova Southeastern

Are you a TX Resident?

What's up everyone! I am hoping to apply this year but not taking the MCAT for another couple months. Depending on how my practice exams go that will determine what I do. If I'm not scoring around 510 at least, I'll just take another gap year. I don't want to shoot my self in the foot/sell my self short. Life has been crazy this year though and studying has been hard so hoping this next month I can make some serious gains lol.

Im 21 AA male majoring in bio.
SGPA is ~3.65 cGPa ~3.75
MCAT: upcoming. Jesus take the wheel pls
EC: , leadership positions 3 years in college, 500 hours of working in retail and food service, research internship at ivy med school, public health internship through gov agency, doing another research internship at ivy school this summer, doing NIH fellowship in the fall for a year or two not sure yet.
Volunteering: 250+ clinical hours 350 hours nonclinical

Im being intentionally vague about my EC's because they are pretty identifying, but if anyone has any specific questions feel free to PM me :) Also putting in another plug for the FB group. It's dope( im not biased since i am one of the admins;)

Also for any taking one or two gap years looking for things to do and who is interested in research consider the NIH NAEP: NIH Academy Enrichment Program - Office of Intramural Training & Education at the National Institutes of Health

If you have any questions about it feel free to ask me!! Good luck everyone y'all are going to kill it!! :D

How did you guys go about narrowing down your schools? I am interested in MD/PhD so schools with strong programs in the research area I am interested in are very important. However, the schools that have strong research don't really have a strong track record of service to the community. Service is very important to me, as I grew up in extreme poverty (relative to the reset of the US population) and definitely want to give back to my community. Its getting difficult to pick schools to apply to.

This is important to me too. There are a few standout MSTPs that also have a lot of opportunities for staying involved in service to poor or minority communities. UCSF, Pritzker, anything in NYC, Hopkins all come to mind.

Current Schools list:
Meharry Medical College
Nova Southeastern

If you are a TX resident I would just go ahead and apply to all TX schools unless there is a specific reason you wouldn’t attend one.

If not, TX schools will be pretty low yield compared to other options.

If you are a TX resident I would just go ahead and apply to all TX schools unless there is a specific reason you wouldn’t attend one.

If not, TX schools will be pretty low yield compared to other options.
I'm a GA resident so that's why I wasn't planning to apply to many Texas schools. I have a lot of family there so I thought about trying my luck even though the chances are pretty slim.

27 y/o AA woman. I'm a non-trad and graduated in 2013.
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.41; During my undergrad I aced orgo, and other upper bio electives such a immunology, physiology, microbiology, biomembranes, A&P, and biophysics. I just had plenty of B's that should have been A's, and 4C's (Bio I&II, Phys II, Biochem II).
MCAT: 2 previous attempts on old MCAT. I retook the MCAT 04/06/18

Volunteer/Research
I have close to 3000 hours worth of clinical/shadowing experience (I worked as a ER scribe/Scribe training coordinator as well as a clinical research assistant on multiple studies involving OB/GYN and Alzheimer's research). I also have 300 hours volunteering as a mentor, optometry assistant, and nursery volunteer.

Are Nicaraguan Americans considered URM?? Why does it say that the only Latinos considered URM are Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans on aamc website?? We are the poorest in central america ...

Are Nicaraguan Americans considered URM?? Why does it say that the only Latinos considered URM are Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans on aamc website?? We are the poorest in central america ...

URM status is determined by number of physicians in that group relative to their population in the USA. You may find that some schools will include Nicaraguans.

Yassss!! That’s an amazing jump! What did you do differently the second time? (I’m currently studying for my retake).

I prioritized practice over content and focused mainly on my weak areas. For example, I did a bunch of biology review because that was my weakest area but I didn't practice CARS until two weeks before my test. I used TBR and EK101 Passages (only for bio and psych). The EK101 passages were very difficult, but they were just like the real thing in terms of the way the passages were structured. They had a lot of research and data analysis, which was just like my actual MCAT. Another key thing is actually understanding what the question is asking. Sometimes you can have the right answer to the wrong question, especially in the CARS and psych section. I would say that if you can, try to start practicing CARS first because I really think learning how to read critically can help with all the sections of the test.

Also, I spaced out my studying over 6 months and did a bunch of Anki cards. I think the biggest thing was not being in school. I'm currently doing a post bacc at the NIH, so I'm just doing research right now and don't have any classes to study for. The MCAT sort of took a backseat to my classes when I took it the first time around. I hope that helps and good luck on your retake!

Reactions: 3 users
This is important to me too. There are a few standout MSTPs that also have a lot of opportunities for staying involved in service to poor or minority communities. UCSF, Pritzker, anything in NYC, Hopkins all come to mind.

I really liked Pritzker and the schools in the NYC. I'm thinking about Hopkins as well. I'm from the east coast, so I'm not applying to any schools in Cali. It's just a little too far for comfort. It's difficult prioritizing which criteria to use when applying to schools. Questioning whether I should focus more on the research or the residency placements of the graduates of the programs.

I really liked Pritzker and the schools in the NYC. I'm thinking about Hopkins as well. I'm from the east coast, so I'm not applying to any schools in Cali. It's just a little too far for comfort. It's difficult prioritizing which criteria to use when applying to schools. Questioning whether I should focus more on the research or the residency placements of the graduates of the programs.

I think it’s easy to overinterpret match lists, especially from MD/PhD programs with like 5-10 grads / yr. I’m not really thinking very hard about how to decide at this point though XD, I’ll wait and see.

Hey y’all! Good luck to everyone!! I just have a quick question. I got accepted to the GeorgeSquared post bacc program but i was wondering if a DIY postbacc (30 credits) would be just as good to get me looked at for most DO schools and lower tier med schools (if successful in post bacc & MCAT)? I know that grade replacement isn’t factored in anymore

Sorry if this isn’t the right thread to post my question at. Kind of new here haha

Stats: 3.09 cgpa, 2.85 sgpa, 3.64 other
East African, URM
Great EC and LORs
MCAT pending

Hey guys! I'm a little nervous about the application process but I'm sure of myself.
AA Female,
cGPA: 3.34, sGPA: 3.5
MCAT Pending
Clinical research hours, ED volunteer, fitness trainer, STEM educator for underserved neighborhoods (another big passion of mine in addition to medicine)

Any recommendations for schools to look into with my stats?

Last edited:
Also, I'm planning on asking two science professors to write LORs (asking within this week). I did great in their classes but they didn't know me that well. Any tips on how to get the best LOR out of them? I planned on sending a draft of my personal statement, transcript, resume and a brief paragraph on why I'm pursuing medicine.

Also, I'm planning on asking two science professors to write LORs (asking within this week). I did great in their classes but they didn't know me that well. Any tips on how to get the best LOR out of them? I planned on sending a draft of my personal statement, transcript, resume and a brief paragraph on why I'm pursuing medicine.
I would start off by asking them if they feel they can write you a strong letter of recommendation for medical school. If they say yes, then you can give them the packet with instructions on where to send the letter, resume, personal statement, & etc. I'm not sure I would include a transcript. Just tell them your GPA and MCAT on your resume.

I took a few gap years between undergrad and my med school app, so I also reminded professors who I was when I e-mailed them to ask for a letter. Literally, "I took Llama Grooming 203 in Fall 2014". I liked to have some language reminiscing about the course and what I liked about it, and I think that also helped jog people's memory. Also, complimenting people on their teaching makes them feel warm fuzzies towards you. But seriously, don't worry too much. This is part of their job, and they are used to getting requests for letters.

hey guy,

looking for some advice. AA male. 3.56 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA. I have strong ECs as well as a strong letter of rec from my premed committee. I have a really bad MCAT score;498. And that is after 2 retakes. I don't feel that I will get any higher if I attempt to take it again. I just can't beat CARS.

hey guy,

looking for some advice. AA male. 3.56 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA. I have strong ECs as well as a strong letter of rec from my premed committee. I have a really bad MCAT score;498. And that is after 2 retakes. I don't feel that I will get any higher if I attempt to take it again. I just can't beat CARS.

If you’re dead set against another retake you can cast a wide, well researched net and I’d bet you’d find success some where. I’ve heard of a handful of AAs getting into MD with 497 - 499 and plenty getting into DO with the same. Obviously, nobody will recommend applying with anything less than your best application, but I figured I’d just throw this out there. It can be an expensive risk, but it’s up to you.

If you’re dead set against another retake you can cast a wide, well researched net and I’d bet you’d find success some where. I’ve heard of a handful of AAs getting into MD with 497 - 499 and plenty getting into DO with the same. Obviously, nobody will recommend applying with anything less than your best application, but I figured I’d just throw this out there. It can be an expensive risk, but it’s up to you.
Hey, thanks for the feedback! I am really hesitant on a retake only because it is already May and I work 50+ hours a week overnight. I am fearful that I might actually do worse. I hope that being very early to submit my application will help.

hey guy,

How far apart were your retakes and how different was your study regime? Depending on your answer, I think it is possible to raise your score, but that might have to be at the cost of balancing work with MCAT. If you are really not about a third retake, like someone said above, and if this your first time applying, you can keep your options very open while applying and see how it goes, considering the other components of your application.

All the best!

I want to send the warmest wishes to everyone applying this year. It can be quite a disheartening and frustrating process, but I believe in you all! As a reapplicant who finally got in, my biggest piece of advice would be to try to stay busy at all times, because the wait can be maddening.

Best of luck! :luck:

Reactions: 15 users
I want to send the warmest wishes to everyone applying this year. It can be quite a disheartening and frustrating process, but I believe in you all! As a reapplicant who finally got in, my biggest piece of advice would be to try to stay busy at all times, because the wait can be maddening.

What were your stats if u don’t mind me asking

So happy for you! I wish you all the best luck! I'm still fighting for my chance at get in.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been thinking about medical school for a bit but decided in January that it was go time! I am so excited for everyone here and I cannot wait to hear how it goes. :nailbiting::D

AA, First generation.

cGPA: >3.5 (3.8/3.9 in major)
sGPA: >3.7
MCAT: Soon!
(Hoping for at least 515 - I have a tutor. Trying to organize studying around seeing patients + ECs and my kiddos is rough! :scared:)
Post-bacc in Nursing: 3.7 (Honors; Top 3 nursing school - Institution is also a Top 3 medical school)
Doctorate in Nursing: 3.7 (Honors; Top 3 nursing school - Institution is a Top 10 medical school)

+ Current NP
+ Currently run a specialty clinic service
+ Mentor for Black nursing students
+ Former birth worker for women and families who are marginalized.
+ Former tutor for Black athletes at a D1 and high school students of color
+ >5 years sponsoring women and families who are homeless
+ >3000 hours of shadowing physicians, considering my training and profession

I asked in a different forum but didn't extend my search broadly: Chances? Schools?

I am so proud to be a part of this group. Thank you in advance and best wishes! :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users