Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by teeayejay, Apr 4, 2018.

1. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, I'm super nervous especially when seeing some crazy stats some students have. I really hope all this goes well and some random thing doesn't happen that screws me over. Literally, the only reason I have Pritzker and Northwestern on was that soon after I got my MCAT scores back last year, I got emails from their Diversity Offices saying they'd waive my secondary fees when I apply. Also, this list is contingent on getting FAP benefits (app in progress).

Also, congrats on going to Pritzker!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nathan17182

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    You have better stats than me, so on paper you have nothing to worry about! Just make sure you personal statement is in tip top shape and your activities are well written. That really goes for everyone.

My personal statement really helped me out on the interview trail, every single interviewer asked about it and whenever I talked about why I wanted to be a doctor I feel like that really understand what else I had to say because they read my story with my PS.

Also, with the FAP, I was initially declined because i could t get my fathers information because we’re estranged, but I just emailed them and they sent me a form to fill out and another party to fill out saying that I wasn’t estranged and then I got it. So, just make sure you contact AAMC if for some reason you get declined and you’re sure you should qualify.

4. ETC&chemiosmosis

Medical Student (Accepted)

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll do great, also happy to see another Haitian-American here so I'm rooting for you ☺️

TempuraOreos likes this.
  5. Serine Minor

Serine Minor Mad scientist
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

No Columbia?

TempuraOreos likes this.
  6. azolesoul

Pre-Medical
    Applying to an SMP... good luck with your cycle guys!

PursuingHappy likes this.
  7. TRussell74

Pre-Medical

1. Hello! I am really looking for some advice on my chances of getting in this cycle with my stats. I am an Ohio resident and an 22 year old African-American female. Traditionalapplicant with a gap year.
      GPA: cGPA= 3.51 sGPA= 3.13 with an upward trend. No Ds or Fs
      MCAT: first attempt: 499 (125-125-124-125) second attempt 503 (126-123-127-127)
      EC: Cello, choir, theatre, orchestra for 4 years
      Shadowing: 30 hours with mostly primary care physicians
      Volunteering: Clinical- ambassador at OSU East and University Hospitals volunteer
      Community: over 100 hours as a camp counselor for inner city youth, Habitat for humanity, served lunch for elderly, miscellaneous, cleaned up local park
      Research: worked as a lab helper for 10 months in a research lab. Doing a CBPR with American heart association.
      Work experience: 2 years retail in high school. I worked as lab helper, campus safety officer, early reading tutor, Physics TA, and tutor during undergrad often working two jobs at a time.

This is current list, please give any input:
      Case Western Reserve (I am legacy. Both parents graduated and father and aunt attended Case Medical)
      University of Toledo
      Ohio State Medical
      University of Cincinatti
      Wright State
      Wayne State
      Morehouse
      Meharrey
      University of Illinois
      Loyola
      Indiana University
      Central Michigan
      Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

DO: Ohio University

#56Today at 12:52 AM
      Last edited: Today at 1:00 AM
      + Quote Reply
    Previous Thread Next Thread
    < Prev1

8. drogbamed

Hey did you do an SMP or something ? I notice your Lizzy score was a 62 but u had 6 acceptences

9. ETC&chemiosmosis

No I did a DIY post bacc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. iqe2010

Pre-Medical
    Those of you who scored 509+ on the MCAT, how'd you do it?lol

I take mine May 24 and needless to say I don't feel confident at all! I'm so stressed!

11. Kgizzle

FL exams + review of every question... patterns will develop and you will figure out the test

12. PursuingHappy

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Practice >>>> Content Review (at least for me)

I did a ton of practice in Biology because that was my weak area. I would say identify your weaknesses ASAP and do a bunch of review and practice problems on that. At least 5 FL, more if you have time. Each FL will help you identify what your strengths and weaknesses are. Also, the EK 101 Passages books significantly helped me. They were very difficult, but gave me a lot of preperation for the real thing.

CUatthefinishline likes this.
  13. jjthrowaway225

My neuroticism is getting the best of me!
    21 years old, M, AA
    GPA: 4.0
    MCAT: 524
    ~250 hours clinical volunteering
    ~400 hours Tutoring at BGC
    Volunteer Biology TA (2 years)
    ~100 hours shadowing (in OR)
    Leadership position in pre-med club (1 year)
    Poster presentation at Neuroscience Conference
    Missions Trip to Haiti

Tentative School List:
    Johns Hopkins
    Yale
    Duke
    UF
    Harvard
    Stanford
    UWash
    UChicago
    NYU
    UPenn
    Columbia

Is this reasonable? Suggestions greatly appreciated!

14. O.T.I.

As long as you're not a sociopath/psychopath, any school is reasonable. Apply to your heart's content.

Add Mayo!

15. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    This is my first time going thru the cycle. I'm super excited!!!

CUatthefinishline likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. CUatthefinishline

Pre-Medical
    My MCAT is not above a 509, but I would like to emphasize this. I only did a diagnostic, the AAMC section banks, & the official AAMC 2-3 FLs due to low $$ & time, but my score went up by at least 2-3 points with every FL. This is definitely something I would do differently (even though it worked out in the end ;)).

Please make time and save some $$ for Full Length MCAT practice tests, & don't be afraid to get them from multiple sources (but don't waste the AAMC ones too early). It makes a world of difference & I was almost too mellow at my actual test because I felt more comfortable (& my score still went up by 2 more points on test day).

18. Doc8a

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone!

Suuuper nervous and excited about this cycle.

I'm URM (Latino). Was wondering if I could ask your guys' advice. I have kinda mixed stats, 3.87 GPA and 511 MCAT. Lots of people are telling me to apply to some top schools but I feel like my MCAT is too low to get any love. I was thinking about just playing it safe. I do have really strong ECs though - WedgeDawg gave me a score of 82. Lots of research, volunteering, shadowing, leadership positions.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice! And good luck to everyone else! :)

19. CUatthefinishline

Pre-Medical
    Why not do both? I also like the WedgeDawg scoring system & I feel it was pretty accurate as to the schools that responded best to my application. I would use that percentage breakdown that it gives you, but not too strictly & add in some safety/lower-tier schools, your state schools, and any others that interest you. As a stronger applicant you have more options, but it doesn't hurt to put a few regional or lower-tier schools on there.

Doc8a likes this.
  20. PursuingHappy

Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    How did you guys go about narrowing down your schools? I am interested in MD/PhD so schools with strong programs in the research area I am interested in are very important. However, the schools that have strong research don't really have a strong track record of service to the community. Service is very important to me, as I grew up in extreme poverty (relative to the reset of the US population) and definitely want to give back to my community. Its getting difficult to pick schools to apply to.

21. jjthrowaway225

Will do!
    I am primarily concerned about my relative lack of ECs compared to some (perhaps a plurality) of the apps I’ve seen on here; specifically, that it will serve as a great hindrance at Ivies.

22. O.T.I.

I was quite similar to you and did fine!

23. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    Thanks! Likewise!

24. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical
    I think I had it at one point. Forgot why I dropped it if I did.

25. AllYouNeedIsHope

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know what new med schools are opening up for this cycle???