***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update my MCAT score was just released.
MCAT: 508
cGPA: 3.41

I'm from Illinois and applying in-state. Fingers crossed my stats and ECs are good enough to get accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone, just wanted to say good luck and stay positive :)

Hey guys! I'm currently compiling my school lists. I'm trying to decide how many reach schools to apply to. Some of these MSAR stats have been discouraging.... Have there been any success stories where an applicant didn't meet the 10% percentile MCAT average and still got an interview?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm currently compiling my school lists. I'm trying to decide how many reach schools to apply to. Some of these MSAR stats have been discouraging.... Have there been any success stories where an applicant didn't meet the 10% percentile MCAT average and still got an interview?

I wish they gave like the whole range not just the 10% percentile

Reactions: 1 user
Back at it as a re-applicant this year! Now complete with the postbac.

Background: AA Male
GPA: 3.09 cGPA, 3.01 sGPA. [upward trend] Postbac: 3.92
MCAT: 507

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
One of my friends got accepted to a top 10 school and they weren't in the 10 percentile. But that's my only story though. I'm sure there are others.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

I got interviews and acceptances at 3 top 20 schools where I was under the 10th percentile. You just have to know how strong your application is as a whole and look at the acceptance and race/ethicnickty breakdown that the aamc puts out. I’m pretty LizzyM links it and do WedgeDawg’s thing.

• Love
I got interviews and acceptances at 3 top 20 schools where I was under the 10th percentile. You just have to know how strong your application is as a whole and look at the acceptance and race/ethicnickty breakdown that the aamc puts out. I’m pretty LizzyM links it and do WedgeDawg’s thing.

Thanks for the info! I did use the WedgeDawg calculator, but I am worried that it may be overestimating the strength of my application. I don't want to apply to too many schools out of the 10% range. Did you use these calculators when applying?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, PM me.

For the top 20s how many points below the 10th percentile was your score on average?

Just to be clear, when the MSAR gives the lower 10% range does it also mean that there were students below that number or is that the lowest?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the top 20s how many points below the 10th percentile was your score on average?

I was around 4 points below the 10th (I was 510, 10th was 514). However, my GPA was above the 10th percentile. My PS was very compelling and I think that got me a lot of interviews as I got comments on it at every interview. I also have extensive research experience and a summer research program at an Ivy. GPA and MCAT are very important, but your activities also can help edge you out.

Back at it as a re-applicant this year! Now complete with the postbac.

Background: AA Male
GPA: 3.09 cGPA, 3.01 sGPA. [upward trend] Postbac: 3.91
MCAT: 507

Good luck to you this year! Where did you apply the first time if you don’t mind me asking?

Just to be clear, when the MSAR gives the lower 10% range does it also mean that there were students below that number or is that the lowest?
10th percentile means that 90% of accepted students did better than whatever score is stated. You can think of it as 90 out of 100 accepted students got more than 510 (assuming 510 is the 10th percentile score). With this example, there are 10 accepted students that got less than 510, you can be one of them. However, this doesn't mean you should apply to Harvard with a 488 MCAT and 2.0 GPA. Carefully assess the rest of your application and be honest with yourself. It is also very important to look at the range of scores when making school list. If I remember correctly, places like the University of Chicago and WashU had very tight ranges (the bar thing was very short), I would avoid applying to such places with even a 510.

10th percentile means that 90% of accepted students did better than whatever score is stated. You can think of it as 90 out of 100 accepted students got more than 510 (assuming 510 is the 10th percentile score). With this example, there are 10 accepted students that got less than 510, you can be one of them. However, this doesn't mean you should apply to Harvard with a 488 MCAT and 2.0 GPA. Carefully assess the rest of your application and be honest with yourself. It is also very important to look at the range of scores when making school list. If I remember correctly, places like the University of Chicago and WashU had very tight ranges (the bar thing was very short), I would avoid applying to such places with even a 510.

I was accepted to UChicago and waitlisted at WashU (withdrew from WL) and I had a 510. But it’s like you said, you have to carefully assess your application. Apply to a wide range of schools. I recommend at least 10-15 schools.

Good luck to you this year! Where did you apply the first time if you don’t mind me asking?

Applied to a few state schools including my own, then filled in the rest of the list with Ivies/top 20. Got FAP in the last cycle so I applied recklessly just wanted to see what could happen. My cGPA and sGPA were lower though since the postbac grades were not factored in yet.

Applied to a few state schools including my own, then filled in the rest of the list with Ivies/top 20. Got FAP in the last cycle so I applied recklessly just wanted to see what could happen. My cGPA and sGPA were lower though since the postbac grades were not factored in yet.

Ah I see. Still, I would have thought you’d get some love from your state schools, especially with that MCAT.

Does anyone know of applicants having success at SUNY schools with sub 500 MCAT?

Does anyone know of applicants having success at SUNY schools with sub 500 MCAT?

Not sub-500 but I eventually got accepted to Downstate with a 502 (retake) for what it's worth.

Downstate is one of my top choices. Can you speak a little more on your stats? I'm taking a gap year and I'm going to study while working so I was worried about having a lower score but it sounds like they're not too stringent on the score

Not sub-500 but I eventually got accepted to Downstate with a 502 (retake) for what it's worth.
Congrats!! I Downstate is the perfect school for me. I am hoping to get some love from them.

Hey what where your stats if you don't mind me asking. I am curious to see how I stand against someone who has been accepted. As well as to see where I can improve.

Hey what where your stats if you don't mind me asking. I am curious to see how I stand against someone who has been accepted. As well as to see where I can improve.

My cycle was three years ago but I had a 3.1 UG GPA, 3.6 post-bacc GPA, second-retake was a 502. Had a bunch of research, was a scribe, TA for orgo, a lot of volunteer work over the years, compelling PS

Hi Everyone, I'm a 27-year-old Latin male who applied last cycle with a 3.11 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA/Post-bac GPA, scribe work, organic chemistry research, prestigious work experience in a completely different industry, and a 504 MCAT. All of this got me interviews at 9/27 continental U.S. med schools I applied to, 2 acceptances, 6 waitlists(still waiting), and 0 post-interview rejections (I declined my last invitation). I'm mainly stopping by to reassure you that the process can be wildly unpredictable - I truly did not expect to hear back from this many places. I would advise making sure to tailor your identity as a minority as it relates to your life experiences, clinical experiences, and ultimately your future in medicine - it came up at times during interviews. Best of luck!

Reactions: 8 users
How do I look y'all?

GPA: 3.04cgpa | 3.34sgpa (Post-Bacc) | 3.5 Graduate (Masters Business)

Major: Economics
MCAT: Taking soon (Shooting for a 514 score)
Lizzy M Score: 66.40 (Upon reaching 514 MCAT Score)
EC: Army Veteran, Emergency Medical Technician
Volunteering: Boys & Girls Club
Work: Information Technology at Hospital
Bio: Black Male 26 year old career changer. Worked days as I.T. analyst at major hospital, went to school at nights to complete Post-Bacc program in Pre-Medical Studies. Served in United States Army National Guard, and was Emergency Medical Tech for a bit.

School List:
University of Massachusetts Medical School
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Tufts
University of Florida College of Medicine
University of Central Florida College of Medicine
University of Illinois College of Medicine
University of Minnesota Twin Cities Medical School
University of Minnesota Duluth Medical School
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Health Sciences
Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
New York Medical College
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Central Michigan University College of Michigan
Morehouse School of Medicine
Howard Medical School
You should add East Tennessee State University "Quillen College of Medicine" to this list they are very military friendly, I know from experience.

You should add East Tennessee State University "Quillen College of Medicine" to this list they are very military friendly, I know from experience.
Just added, I'd rather be up more North, but looks like great opportunity. Thanks man

Hello All, Just wanted some advice on my school list.

A.A Male
2.9 cGPA 2.8 sGPA(Postive upward trend for both)
3.78 gGPA( 1 year Masters in Biomedical Sciences)
509 MCAT(129/127/128/125)
500 hrs as a CNA, 400 as a Medical Scribe. Community Service Chair in 2 clubs. Peer Tutor in MBS program. over 200 hours non-clinical volunteering and community outreach. Worked as a research mentor for URM high school students.

SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate(and Upstate)
SUNY Buffalo
NYMC
Albany Medical
Temple
Drexel
Tulane
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Rosalind Franklin
Geisinger Commonwealth
GWU

Do you think I should add some schools or take some out? Any input is appreciated.

Hey all! I was wondering your take on my school list. I'm not sure what reaches are considered too far considering my stats, and if my list is too long; I don't want to get overwhelmed with secondaries as I am working a full-time job.

Native American Male (tribe registered), first-generation college student, California
cGPA 3.57
sGPA 3.47
MCAT 516 (130/126/130/130)
Research: 4000 paid clinical research hours (>2000 complete, another 2000 projected - Critical Care research), 100 wet lab hours, 300 volunteer clinical research (ED). No pub, poster, etc.
Volunteering (clinical): 150 hours hospital volunteer (OR/ED), 150 Native American health center (FQHC designated)
Physician shadowing: 20 FM (Native American clinic), 28 Psychiatry
Teaching: Taught interactive lesson plan to grade school students on field trip (50 hr total), Biology lab teaching assistant (50 hours),
Community Experience: 2 years (1000 hours) chairman of Native American event committee, Student representative for AI/AN recruitment/retention on campus (~100 hr), 300 hours in Native American community on campus

School list
UCD, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UCI
Cincinnati
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Hofstra
Iowa
Loyola
Miami
Minnesota
Mt. Sinai
Ohio State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Stanford
Tufts
USC
Wisconsin

Hey all! I was wondering your take on my school list. I'm not sure what reaches are considered too far considering my stats, and if my list is too long; I don't want to get overwhelmed with secondaries as I am working a full-time job.

Native American Male (tribe registered), first-generation college student, California
cGPA 3.57
sGPA 3.47
Research: 4000 paid clinical research hours (>2000 complete, another 2000 projected - Critical Care research), 100 wet lab hours, 300 volunteer clinical research (ED). No pub, poster, etc.
Volunteering (clinical): 150 hours hospital volunteer (OR/ED), 150 Native American health center (FQHC designated)
Teaching: Taught interactive lesson plan to grade school students on field trip (50 hr total), Biology lab teaching assistant (50 hours),
Community Experience: 2 years (1000 hours) chairman of Native American event committee, Student representative for AI/AN recruitment/retention on campus (~100 hr), 300 hours in Native American community on campus

School list
Cincinnati
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Hofstra
Iowa
Loyola
Miami
Minnesota
Mt. Sinai
Ohio State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Stanford
Tufts
USC
Wisconsin

Hi, you have great app as far as I am concerned, especially with that MCAT. I would consider adding schools that have a Native American focus (or preference?) if I were you. I encountered a couple throughout the Midwest/West (though I cannot remember their names :p) and I imagine that they would love to have a student like you. You might also find the things that they are doing interesting to you.

Edit: Oh! & I think SLU likes Cali students in general (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so maybe consider that school too. I would also add a few more reaches (along a couple of "safeties" that you would attend) if you can afford it. You're MCAT puts you in a good place with a lot of higher ranked schools outside of CA, but it might also make you a risk to some lower ones that assume you won't attend if accepted. You can always prewrite secondaries and take it from there. I did that, along with keeping a list of "possible applications" in case I wanted to apply later on.

cGPA 3.57
sGPA 3.47

School list
Cincinnati
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Hofstra
Iowa
Loyola
Miami
Minnesota
Mt. Sinai
Ohio State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Stanford
Tufts
USC
Wisconsin

I would agree with adding SLU, I have heard they were CA friendly. Thomas Jefferson and Temple could be some good safeties to add. I would also agree with adding a few more reaches. If you like Chicago, I would add Northwestern and UChicago. You could throw in WashU - I had some success there (I had a higher GPA, but a 510). Don't under estimate yourself and miss an opportunity to attend a great school. And with secondaries, you can look at the previous threads on SDN and see if their secondaries have changed. If not, as long as our done with your PS and activities, start pre-writing some secondaries. I was still writing secondaries in October and that pushed some interviews to late Feb. It was terrible to be interviewing then, I still got acceptances, but some people were interviewing in August and October because they submitted in July.

Hello All, Just wanted some advice on my school list.

A.A Male
2.9 cGPA 2.8 sGPA(Postive upward trend for both)
3.78 gGPA( 1 year Masters in Biomedical Sciences)
509 MCAT(129/127/128/125)
500 hrs as a CNA, 400 as a Medical Scribe. Community Service Chair in 2 clubs. Peer Tutor in MBS program. over 200 hours non-clinical volunteering and community outreach. Worked as a research mentor for URM high school students.

SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate(and Upstate)
SUNY Buffalo
NYMC
Albany Medical
Temple
Drexel
Tulane
Howard
Morehouse
Meharry
Rosalind Franklin
Geisinger Commonwealth
GWU

Do you think I should add some schools or take some out? Any input is appreciated.

I think you should definitely add more schools. You have a solid MCAT, but your gpa might get you screened out at some schools (so double check that with each school). I would add Charles Drew to that list, especially depending on what region you're from. But seriously consider applying to at few (5-10) more schools just to make sure you cast a wide enough net. Really evaluate all the schools close to you and/or ones that you're in MCAT range for. Your list looks fine to me, but it does not hurt to apply broadly especially if you definitely want to get in this year. Also, strongly consider DO, especially because they tend to be more forgiving and favor reinvention.

Disclaimer/Biases: I also did a biomed masters, and it might not help much depending on the school so be prepared to talk about the grades issue during secondaries/interviews; your ability to bounce back and do better now will be looked into. Furthermore, my gpa was higher than yours but I had a lower MCAT so I think we're in a similar boat. I utilized the LizzyM, but really liked the list break down that WedgeDawg's Applicant Rating System gave me. It might help you as well.

Hey guys! Pleaseeeee help me out here because I am a nervous wreck!

A.A female
Undergraduate cGPA: 2.55-2.59 (upward trend)
Undergraduate sGPA: 2.12- 2.13
Masters in biomedical science GPA: 3.33 (upward trend)
MCAT: Will take soon
TONS of clinical, shadowing and volunteer experience, scribe, community service and few research experience.

Any chances and if so, what schools should I reach for?

FYI: My low GPA is due to working so much in college and graduate school to support myself and being swamped with extracurricular/leadership activities.

Hey guys! Pleaseeeee help me out here because I am a nervous wreck!

A.A female
Undergraduate cGPA: 2.55-2.59 (upward trend)
Undergraduate sGPA: 2.12- 2.13
Masters in biomedical science GPA: 3.33 (upward trend)
MCAT: Will take soon
TONS of clinical, shadowing and volunteer experience, scribe, community service and few research experience.

Any chances and if so, what schools should I reach for?

FYI: My low GPA is due to working so much in college and graduate school to support myself and being swamped with extracurricular/leadership activities.

To be completely candid and hopefully not too harsh, your GPA is probably gonna get you screen at a lot of schools. You're gonna need to absolutely destroy the MCAT. If I were you, I would not even think about applying unless my AAMC practice score was 508+. You need a compelling reason for your GPA even with the upward trend. Having too many extracurriculars/leadership activities is not a valid excuse for a low GPA - if there was something going on in your life during undergrad, then you need to make sure to be open and honest about it.

As far as schools, I would apply to all the HBCU's and DO schools. As @CUatthefinishline linked above, look at your LizzyM schools and do WedgeDawg's rating system to see if you fall in the range for any other MD's. It'll be a tough cycle, but make sure you activities, personal statement, letter of recs, and secondaries are absolutely perfect.

Just don't rush to apply. If you don't do well on the MCAT, take a gap year and do some non-profit work and volunteering. Rushing into this will only hurt you.

I would agree with adding SLU, I have heard they were CA friendly. Thomas Jefferson and Temple could be some good safeties to add. I would also agree with adding a few more reaches. If you like Chicago, I would add Northwestern and UChicago. You could throw in WashU - I had some success there (I had a higher GPA, but a 510). Don't under estimate yourself and miss an opportunity to attend a great school. And with secondaries, you can look at the previous threads on SDN and see if their secondaries have changed. If not, as long as our done with your PS and activities, start pre-writing some secondaries. I was still writing secondaries in October and that pushed some interviews to late Feb. It was terrible to be interviewing then, I still got acceptances, but some people were interviewing in August and October because they submitted in July.
Do you think it's practical to apply to schools such as WashU, UChicago? I have been hesitant when building my list since my cGPA and sGPA is below the 10th percentile for matriculated students. Then again, it's tricky to predict when your population is typically <1% of incoming classes...

cGPA 3.57
sGPA 3.47

School list
Cincinnati
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Emory
Hofstra
Iowa
Loyola
Miami
Minnesota
Mt. Sinai
Ohio State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Stanford
Tufts
USC
Wisconsin

Your application looks really solid. GPA is a little low but your MCAT is great. Consider adding a few more reaches if you have the money. Either way I think you'll get a lot of love.

Do you think it's practical to apply to schools such as WashU, UChicago? I have been hesitant when building my list since my cGPA and sGPA is below the 10th percentile for matriculated students. Then again, it's tricky to predict when your population is typically <1% of incoming classes...

I definitely think so. The number of Native Americans applying to med school is so minuscule and there's such a great need. You also seem to have a lot of service with your community (not just checking boxes) which will be very favorably looked upon. Plenty of people get accepted below the 10% (by definition a 10th of the class) and it's usually in cases where someone brings something unique to the table (a really compelling story, great ECs, etc.)

I would recommend adding any school you like.

I definitely think so. The number of Native Americans applying to med school is so minuscule and there's such a great need. You also seem to have a lot of service with your community (not just checking boxes) which will be very favorably looked upon. Plenty of people get accepted below the 10% (by definition a 10th of the class) and it's usually in cases where someone brings something unique to the table (a really compelling story, great ECs, etc.)

I would recommend adding any school you like.
Well put. Wedgedawg’s spreadsheet also suggested adding more reaches, but I’ve been hesitant due to the lagging GPA. Money isn’t a problem (I was able to stockpile enough for apps and interviews), I’m just concerning about time and handling secondaries.

I’ll definitely be adding more reaches. Thanks for the help.

Yes, you should definitely apply. I had something like 3.68 cGPA and 3.5ish sGPA and a 510 MCAT and will be matriculating to UChicago and was waitlisted at WashU (I was the last interview and they were already full, everyone got the waitlisted). The best advice I got during my cycle was to not underestimate myself and that URM's are in high demand. Definitely add more reaches, however except to not hear back from a few. I didn't get any interviews from Ivies and I think my best secondary was to Yale too.

To be completely candid and hopefully not too harsh, your GPA is probably gonna get you screen at a lot of schools. You're gonna need to absolutely destroy the MCAT. If I were you, I would not even think about applying unless my AAMC practice score was 508+. You need a compelling reason for your GPA even with the upward trend. Having too many extracurriculars/leadership activities is not a valid excuse for a low GPA - if there was something going on in your life during undergrad, then you need to make sure to be open and honest about it.

As far as schools, I would apply to all the HBCU's and DO schools. As @CUatthefinishline linked above, look at your LizzyM schools and do WedgeDawg's rating system to see if you fall in the range for any other MD's. It'll be a tough cycle, but make sure you activities, personal statement, letter of recs, and secondaries are absolutely perfect.

Just don't rush to apply. If you don't do well on the MCAT, take a gap year and do some non-profit work and volunteering. Rushing into this will only hurt you.

Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback. And no you are not harsh, my graduate advisor was more stern with me. I took wayy too many credits every year of my undergrad knowing I was not in a good place to do so which is what weighed down my GPA. No F's, just a lot of C's. I looked at my LizzyM schools, I don't know how accurate that and the WedgeDawg rating system are. Also, my state residency has many state schools. Going to tackle this MCAT beast!

Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback. And no you are not harsh, my graduate advisor was more stern with me. I took wayy too many credits every year of my undergrad knowing I was not in a good place to do so which is what weighed down my GPA. No F's, just a lot of C's. I looked at my LizzyM schools, I don't know how accurate that and the WedgeDawg rating system are. Also, my state residency has many state schools. Going to tackle this MCAT beast!

The most useful thing from LizzyM was how many people with my stats were accepted at schools. That shows up at the top of the screen. The Wedgedawg is useful for a breakdown of which caliber of schools you should apply to. Both ended up being pretty accurate for me. Just make sure to apply to broadly.

The most useful thing from LizzyM was how many people with my stats were accepted at schools. That shows up at the top of the screen. The Wedgedawg is useful for a breakdown of which caliber of schools you should apply to. Both ended up being pretty accurate for me. Just make sure to apply to broadly.

Okay, thanks! Idk about the Wedgedawg, unless I am interpreting it incorrectly. It states that I should apply to Jefferson, Tulane, Tufts, Georgetown, Brown, BU, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, NYMC, Penn State, Albany, Rush. I'm not sure if Georgetown or Brown are realistic. :laugh:

Okay, thanks! Idk about the Wedgedawg, unless I am interpreting it incorrectly. It states that I should apply to Jefferson, Tulane, Tufts, Georgetown, Brown, BU, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, NYMC, Penn State, Albany, Rush. I'm not sure if Georgetown or Brown are realistic. :laugh:

It’ll really depend on your mcat, but Brown favors non-traditional and basically everyone applies to Georgetown. They get something like 10k apps.

I can't believe I'm starting this process!! Good luck everyone!

Stats:
23, African American, female
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.38

MCAT: 504 (retake from a 496, yikes)

Experience:
Chief Medical Scribe for an outpatient clinic and ED (will be 2 years at the end of this cycle, so ~4000 hours)
Biology TA for 3 semesters
Orgo/Bio/Calc tutor for underrepresented undergraduate students (4 semesters)
Skin Microbiome Research (basically reading research articles and database entry. Received 3 credit hours spread over 3 semesters)
3 executive board positions for 2 semesters
Reading aide/mentor for 1st graders in surrounding underserved community who are reading below their grade level (~180 hours)
SMDEP 2015
Sunday School teacher (300+ hours)

Do I use my cGPA or sGPA to calculate my LizzyM score? Also what are some good URM friendly MD schools?
LizzyM is bases off of total GPA, so you would want to use cGPA. But when using MSAR, it is also helpful to consider the sGPA of accepted students.

As for URM friendly schools HBCU are a good start: Howard, Meharry, Morehouse. Also consider UCLA-Drew.
There are also schools who interview quite a few URM students, such as George Washington, Tufts, Dartmouth, Boston University.
Considering the amount of community service you listed, Rush would a good consideration too.

I'm sure others here could give a few more suggestions.

Reactions: 4 users
I can't believe I'm starting this process!! Good luck everyone!

Stats:
23, African American, female
cGPA: 3.53
sGPA: 3.38

MCAT: 504 (retake from a 496, yikes)

Experience:
Chief Medical Scribe for an outpatient clinic and ED (will be 2 years at the end of this cycle, so ~4000 hours)
Biology TA for 3 semesters
Orgo/Bio/Calc tutor for underrepresented undergraduate students (4 semesters)
Skin Microbiome Research (basically reading research articles and database entry. Received 3 credit hours spread over 3 semesters)
3 executive board positions for 2 semesters
Reading aide/mentor for 1st graders in surrounding underserved community who are reading below their grade level (~180 hours)
SMDEP 2015
Sunday School teacher (300+ hours)

Do I use my cGPA or sGPA to calculate my LizzyM score? Also what are some good URM friendly MD schools?

You're going to have a great cycle! You should post in the What Are My Chances forums and the experts will be happy to help create a school list for you.

LizzyM is bases off of total GPA, so you would want to use cGPA. But when using MSAR, it is also helpful to consider the sGPA of accepted students.

As for URM friendly schools HBCU are a good start: Howard, Meharry, Morehouse. Also consider UCLA-Drew.
There are also schools who interview quite a few URM students, such as George Washington, Tufts, Dartmouth, Boston University.
Considering the amount of community service you listed, Rush would a good consideration too.

I'm sure others here could give a few more suggestions.

Thanks for the help! I will definitely take a look at the schools you suggested. Rush is already on my list!

You're going to have a great cycle! You should post in the What Are My Chances forums and the experts will be happy to help create a school list for you.

It's really my MCAT and GPA I'm worried about for this cycle. I'm hoping my EC's will set me apart! I'll take a look at that forum!

Would an early August Mcat be considered too late? I just received my score (500) and I am very disappointed.