***2018-2019 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II to Keck, as a reapplicant this is exciting!!!

Congrats!! I interviewed there last year and its very nice! The dean of admissions is very down to earth and you get to talk to her in a group of about 8 and its great. Have fun there and stay with a student host!

Reactions: 1 users
Nigerian-American Male(0-11yrs Nigeria/11-18 Oakland CA)
cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.59
MCAT: 500
Spent 1 year in Afghanistan as a flight medic, got out the Army worked in ENT/Bariatric Sx/Vascular Sx and OMFSx (Emory Healthcare)
Grew up in a conflict zone of Nigeria
3rd time reapplicant (Every body kept telling me you're going to walking into Med school LMAO "you're a walking diversity essay" :laugh:)
First two cycles I only apply to CA schools but they did not want me :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Nigerian-American Male(0-11yrs Nigeria/11-18 Oakland CA)
cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.59
MCAT: 500
Spent 1 year in Afghanistan as a flight medic, got out the Army worked in ENT/Bariatric Sx/Vascular Sx and OMFSx (Emory Healthcare)
Grew up in a conflict zone of Nigeria
3rd time reapplicant (Every body kept telling me you're going to walking into Med school LMAO "you're a walking diversity essay" :laugh:)
First two cycles I only apply to CA schools but they did not want me :(

EDIT: My bad, I assumed you posted for advice. Below is some unsolicited advice. Best of luck!

You do have a very interesting background, but CA is way too competitive to be your only source for schools. Also, your MCAT may be getting you screened out at a lot of schools.

My suggestions and questions:
  • Strongly consider an MCAT retake. How many times have you taken it? How old is it? How did you study before? Do you feel you could do better? (It is okay if you do not retake but be realistic with yourself about your score, why it happened, & what that means for your school list)
  • What shadowing do you have?
  • What volunteer experience do you have (clinical, non-clinical, etc.)?
  • You need to broaden your school list well beyond the West coast. Like think HBCUs, the South, the Midwest, etc. Anywhere where you fit the mission and are within the 10th percentile for the MCAT
  • You need to apply to DO. For a myriad of reasons, but mainly due to them being more forgiving and appreciative of applicants like yourself.
  • Your school list needs to expand to at least 25-30 schools in my opinion. 35-40 if you include DO & MD.
  • Utilize LizzyM, Wedgedawg's list maker, and the MSAR (which needs to be your bff during the app season)
  • Make your next app your strongest and most complete thus far. Make your PS, activities, and LORs great. Submit early (June/July), prepare your secondaries in advance, and continue to boost your volunteer/clinical experiences resume throughout the app season.
This is all just off the top of my head. Sorry if it seems rushed or abrasive. I can go into more detail if wanted. I do not meant to knock what you have already done in any way. It's just tough out there and you have to sell yourself. However, you also have to know who is more likely to listen to your pitch in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You do have a very interesting background, but CA is way too competitive to be your only source for schools. Also, your MCAT may be getting you screened out at a lot of schools.

My suggestions and questions:
  • Strongly consider an MCAT retake. How many times have you taken it? How old is it? How did you study before? Do you feel you could do better? (It is okay if you do not retake but be realistic with yourself about your score, why it happened, & what that means for your school list)
  • What shadowing do you have?
  • What volunteer experience do you have (clinical, non-clinical, etc.)?
  • You need to broaden your school list well beyond the West coast. Like think HBCUs, the South, the Midwest, etc. Anywhere where you fit the mission and are within the 10th percentile for the MCAT
  • You need to apply to DO. For a myriad of reasons, but mainly due to them being more forgiving and appreciative of applicants like yourself.
  • Your school list needs to expand to at least 25-30 schools in my opinion. 35-40 if you include DO & MD.
  • Utilize LizzyM, Wedgedawg's list maker, and the MSAR (which needs to be your bff during the app season)
  • Make your next app your strongest and most complete thus far. Make your PS, activities, and LORs great. Submit early (June/July), prepare your secondaries in advance, and continue to boost your volunteer/clinical experiences resume throughout the app season.
This is all just off the top of my head. Sorry if it seems rushed or abrasive. I can go into more detail if wanted. I do not meant to knock what you have already done in any way. It's just tough out there and you have to sell yourself. However, you also have to know who is more likely to listen to your pitch in the first place.
This is exactly what I did lucky for me my roommates are residents at Emory so they have been helping me out

This is exactly what I did lucky for me my roommates are residents at Emory so they have been helping me out

That's awesome. Best of luck!

EDIT: Also, my bad. I assumed you were asking for advice like a lot of others that post and just quickly scanned your previous post. Ignore my unsolicited advice. I wish you much love this cycle :D

Last edited:
That's awesome. Best of luck!

EDIT: Also, my bad. I assumed you were asking for advice like a lot of others that post and just quickly scanned your previous post. Ignore my unsolicited advice. I wish you much love this cycle :D
oh nah its welcomed thanks alot.

Reactions: 2 users
Just applied yesterday! It feels good to finally have it done... Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have any advice for submitting before getting the MCAT score? I'm URM hispanic and have finished everything for the AACOMAS application and have my transcripts received, I am just waiting to take the MCAT. Should I submit or wait until I receive the score in September?

Does anyone have any advice for submitting before getting the MCAT score? I'm URM hispanic and have finished everything for the AACOMAS application and have my transcripts received, I am just waiting to take the MCAT. Should I submit or wait until I receive the score in September?
How much faith do you have lol. "I" wouldnt submit until I have my score because it might be a waste of money. I've done it before and I got back 492 lmao so I waste money and time and had to reapply this cycle.

How much faith do you have lol. "I" wouldnt submit until I have my score because it might be a waste of money. I've done it before and I got back 492 lmao so I waste money and time and had to reapply this cycle.
Ok thanks. I guess I'm looking more at the best case scenario of having it in early and then getting a good enough score lol.

I remember applicants from the year before me, posting in the 2017-2018 thread and saying how much time flies and how surreal it is to see the next wave. I just read through everyone's post and they were right lol. I just want to say I'm proud of you all and feel free to msg me about anything; I don't post as frequently as I did during the cycle but I still actively lurk :).

Reactions: 8 users
I remember applicants from the year before me, posting in the 2017-2018 thread and saying how much time flies and how surreal it is to see the next wave. I just read through everyone's post and they were right lol. I just want to say I'm proud of you all and feel free to msg me about anything; I don't post as frequently as I did during the cycle but I still actively lurk :).

I’ll jump in on this as well. It’s been a year since I’ve applied, which honestly feels like forever ago. My white coat ceremony is in 3 weeks and I’ve been feeling a little nostalgic. Anyway, good luck to all you URMs applying this cycle! Feel free to slide into my dms if you have any questions as well. I don’t think I’ll be on this as much as I was before but I’ll try my best to answer.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping to get a little insight..Ive applied to 25 MD schools (507 mcat, 3.86 gpa, decent amount of ECs). I started my app for AACOMAS, but was waiting on FAP approval. Long story short I'd have to order my mom's 1040 (an additional $57) to get the FAP approval. I'm hoping to get at least 1 MD acceptance, but does anyone think I should continue with all the FAP stuff so I can apply to some DOs for safety in case?

Hoping to get a little insight..Ive applied to 25 MD schools (507 mcat, 3.86 gpa, decent amount of ECs). I started my app for AACOMAS, but was waiting on FAP approval. Long story short I'd have to order my mom's 1040 (an additional $57) to get the FAP approval. I'm hoping to get at least 1 MD acceptance, but does anyone think I should continue with all the FAP stuff so I can apply to some DOs for safety in case?

If you can, I would. I know it seems like a lot now, but $57 will be a drop in the bucket later on. You have a good shot at MD with your stats, but if you can apply DO, especially for free, it will bring a lot of relief later on during this application cycle. Only apply to schools you would actually attend, but if you aren't too picky it could also help you avoid having to reapply later on too. I didn't apply DO because I couldn't afford to and my family is a little sketch when it comes to taxes, but if I could I would have. There are a lot of great DO schools out there and it provides a wider safety net.

If you applied broadly including all the HBCU's and you have a well done application then I think you would be okay not applying DO.

Is there anyone that could provide tips on how to study for the MCAT with a job? How far out did people usually start?

And is it worth setting up an interfolio account with professors if I'm taking a gap year for next year?

Is there anyone that could provide tips on how to study for the MCAT with a job? How far out did people usually start?

And is it worth setting up an interfolio account with professors if I'm taking a gap year for next year?
I started studying in August for a January test date.Personally, I just like to take my time. I'm working full time but have flexible hours. I would wake up and get to work early so I could leave around 3. The rest of the day, I studied. I didn't get too serious with studying though until November. I was doing mostly content review and anki cards before then.

Idk anything about Interfolio

It really depends on your work schedule for instance I took the MCAT May 5th and started studying Jan 26th. My work sched was 1100 to 1930 (up at 0730 study until 0915 quick workout and quiz on studied materials and study 2hrs after work).

For the interfolio I would say set it up in Feb and start collecting in April. (costs money to send rec letters to application service *1yr subscription)

Last edited:

I started around November for my March 24th date. My tips my tips would be to maximize time. I would listen to Khan Academy videos during my commute (30 - 60min each way), use Anki cards when I had free time. I work a somewhat M-F job, so it was perfect for me to take a FL on Saturday, review it in depth Sunday, and do qpack, section banks during the week. I would recommend waking up early to study rather than trying to do it after work; aside from the fact that your test will be in the morning, I found that it was easier to neglect and fall behind on studying after a long day at work. Overall, a lot of the same rules apply: don't try to memorize every detail, make sure you emphasize practice problems, use all AAMC material, don't cram CARS.

I 100% recommend Interfolio, especially if you are taking a gap year. I asked my letter writers to begin writing around January of this year. Received my first letter March, and had all of them by June. I like the piece of mind that it gives by allowing you to collect letters year, as well as the quality check that they offer - checks for letterhead and signature. I believe it is inexpensive for what it offers.

This part of SDN seems to have less activity. Are there really that few URM applicants out there?

This part of SDN seems to have less activity. Are there really that few URM applicants out there?

Could be not many on SDN. Or those that just follow the thread and don't post (aka I do that often haha)

I second that there are plenty of us who lurk but do not post regularly (if at all).

Hey fellow URMs! Excited to apply this cycle finally, can anyone tell me how bad would taking the mcat in late August be for applying this cycle if all other boxes are checked? Shooting for 510+

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey fellow URMs! Excited to apply this cycle finally, can anyone tell me how bad would taking the mcat in late August be for applying this cycle if all other boxes are checked? Shooting for 510+

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That’s way too late to apply this cycle. You would be putting yourself at a big disadvantage. You should take it when you’re ready and just apply next cycle. You can volunteer or get more clinical hours during the year and it will only make sure app better for next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone!

I'm an AA female, non-trad, 3.36 cgpa, 3.51 sgpa, 507 MCAT (129,125,127,126)
NYC Resident
Over 500 clinical hours, projected 400 research hours, 3 teaching/tutoring positions, 2 leadership positions and some non-clinical volunteering.
I got a late start to submitting my apps because my MCAT score took a blow to my ego but I decided to keep going and I'm ready for the challenge now.
Any suggestions for schools to apply to?
I have 26 so far including all HBCUs, all NY schools (except Columbia, Cornell & Mt.Sinai) and a few others based on MedMAR emails)

Any other tips or suggestions are more than welcome!!

Good luck to everyone in this cycle!

Hello fellow applicants! I just submitted my amcas but wanted to add a few more schools. Can anyone suggest any more schools to add. Uchicago and Northwestern are far reaches, but they gave me a secondary fee waiver. Also, just any comments on my chances at these schools on my list as well would be helpful. Thanks!
23 yo AA female, CA resident
UG:Spelman College
cGPA:3.54/sGPA~3.3ish
MCAT:509(127,128,126,128)
EC:
Current NIH post bac(on my second year now)
25 hrs of physician shadowing
Will have 260 hrs volunteering at hospital by next summer
Studied abroad in Scotland for six weeks
Participated in SMDEP UCLA
A couple e- board positions
Current School List:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Creighton University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Howard University College of Medicine
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Morehouse School of Medicine
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medic
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine
University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

Last edited:

Well, yah, there are really not that many URM applicants in the grand scheme of things (~16% of apps). Also, most applicants probably don't use SDN and the one's that do might have not stumbled on this corner of it.

Last edited:
Still waiting to begin the verification process over here. Thought AMCAS would be about 2 weeks behind on apps but they're a whole month behind..

Still waiting to begin the verification process over here. Thought AMCAS would be about 2 weeks behind on apps but they're a whole month behind..
Same! it's pretty crazy tbh. Submitted June 29th and i'm still in queue.. I'm starting to get a little nervous about my entire timeline

Same! it's pretty crazy tbh. Submitted June 29th and i'm still in queue.. I'm starting to get a little nervous about my entire timeline

You guys are fine. I didn't submit until the end of July and was verified August 22nd and I still received 7 interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
You guys are fine. I didn't submit until the end of July and was verified August 22nd and I still received 7 interviews.

Out of curiosity, which 7 schools did you interview at? And how many did you apply to total?

Rising sophomore lurker checking in. Wishing everyone the best of luck! Try to find something you enjoy to do whilst waiting for IIs and such! :biglove:

Anyone else having commitment submission issues? :rofl:
I've drafted up many secondaries and keep tweaking them to sound better, but once I start the app and input the information, I just find it so hard to hit that submit button...like man this is really it hahah

Anyone else having commitment submission issues? :rofl:
I've drafted up many secondaries and keep tweaking them to sound better, but once I start the app and input the information, I just find it so hard to hit that submit button...like man this is really it hahah
You must be applying to just one school...

Hey guys!!
Can you please tell me what you think my honest chances of getting into medical schools with these stats please? I am a black African American female from a rural area.
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Masters in Cell and Molecular biology GPA: 3.7
I was a medical scribe in the ER. I also played basketball at Tulane University in undergrad. Lots of volunteer work.
MCAT: ??? I just took it a few weeks ago and Im still waiting on my scores.
I am applying to all 3 of my in-state schools (LSUS, LSU New Orleans, Tulane) and all of the HBMCs (Meharry, Howard, Morehouse) as well as some other schools in the south near Louisiana. How low could my MCAT be and I still have a chance? I just have a feeling that it did not go as well as I hoped it would.

Hey guys!!
Can you please tell me what you think my honest chances of getting into medical schools with these stats please? I am a black African American female from a rural area.
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Masters in Cell and Molecular biology GPA: 3.7
I was a medical scribe in the ER. I also played basketball at Tulane University in undergrad. Lots of volunteer work.
MCAT: ??? I just took it a few weeks ago and Im still waiting on my scores.
I am applying to all 3 of my in-state schools (LSUS, LSU New Orleans, Tulane) and all of the HBMCs (Meharry, Howard, Morehouse) as well as some other schools in the south near Louisiana. How low could my MCAT be and I still have a chance? I just have a feeling that it did not go as well as I hoped it would.
You should wait until you get your MCAT score, even schools with "lower MCAT expectations" dont take low MCAT scores.

Are you complete? Have you received any interview invitations yet? Frankly, despite the top heavy list, I would be very surprised if you do not get in anywhere. You have the track record in publishing research that you may be considered a good prospect for MD/PhD despite GPA/MCAT

Don't apply to more than 40 schools. You will wear yourself out with interivew invites in the earlly weeks of the cycle when it is too early to say no to any invitation (before the first offers go out).

With 40 applications, I predict that you will have at least 8 interviews and at least 4 offers. Anyone care to make a friendly wager on the under/over of that prediction. ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Just made an account as I am feeling truly jaded about my current application as of this moment....

Need help adding more MD only schools as I have been so, so naive on the list I chose. I have been getting way too nervous and would love some feedback on lower-mid tier schools to add (yeah I am at 40 now, but I DO NOT want to reapply)

I am shooting for MSTP, yet I'm realizing I don't have the stats...
GPA: 3.47
sGPA: 3.43 (had to work through college/help out with family problems throughout, yet aced 3 courses post-bac to finish pre-med when responsibilities lessened...not really a positive GPA trend)
MCAT: 507 (129, 125, 127, 129)
Hispanic/Latino (Speak Spanish, 1st gen, E-01, disadvantaged)
College attended: Top 5
California
Personal statement: "Unique/very compelling" were comments from 2 MSTP directors and 1 Med admissions reader all from Top 5

ECs:
Research=: >1.5 years in school, 2 years full time now
Clinical work with underserved hours: 700
Non-clinical with underserved (combining hours of multiple activities): >1500
Shadowing: 100 hrs

Pubs: 2 co-author in one of the Big 3 (Science, Nature, Cell), 1 first author pub (impact: ~5), 1 co-author pub in (impact: ~5)
+3-7 under review (co-author)
+1 more co-first manuscript on the way

Schools:

MDPHD: Harvard
MDPHD:John Hopkins
MDPHD:Stanford
MDPHD:NYU School of medicine
MDPHD:UCSF
MDPHD:University of Washington
MDPHD:UPENN Perel
MDPHD:UCLA
MDPHD:Wash U in St Luis
MDPHD:Duke
MDPHD:Columbia
MDPHD:Yale
MDPHD:University of Pittsburg
MDPHD:University of Michigan School of Medicine
MDPHD:Baylor College of Medicine
MDPHD:Vanderbilt University
MDPHD:Icahn School of medicine
MDPHD:priztker
MDPHD:Cornell University
MDPHD:UCSD

Rest MD
Iowa
Dartmouth
Northwestern
Mayo
Emory
Boston U
Oregon Health and Science University
University of Maryland
Brown
University of Rochester
University of Southern California
University of Colorado Medicine
Yeshiva University (Einstein)
UC Davis
UC Irivine
University of Miami
Temple University
Tufts University
UCR
Charles Drew/UCLA

I entered the cycle as somewhat hopeful, yet after scouring SDN for the first time for similar stat applicants, have been heartbroken by how harsh/ realistic @LizzyM and @Fencer can be. Yet I do think their comments have been insightful to how naive I have been in terms of how I thought I would have fared as an MSTP applicant (submitted secondaries to almost all lower-tier MD schools so cant do MSTP there anymore). I want to be realistic now. As of now, I have completed 32/40 secondaries (4 have yet to come in, no UCSF/UCLA yet). Because I do not want to re-apply, I am asking for feedback on how I should add to this list as I can finish up more and not be considered "late". I would be applying as MD only to any additional schools as I have been made to truly feel like I am not competitive with my stats for MDPHD (also now considering putting down MD-only for Duke). I sorta wish I had found SDN earlier ahhh..

Thanks and good luck all.
I'm applying right now, so I have no experience with admissions. Just wanted to say I'm sure u will do well and I would love to have you as a classmate if we both end up getting in to MSTP programs.

Are you complete? Have you received any interview invitations yet? Frankly, despite the top heavy list, I would be very surprised if you do not get in anywhere. You have the track record in publishing research that you may be considered a good prospect for MD/PhD despite GPA/MCAT

Don't apply to more than 40 schools. You will wear yourself out with interivew invites in the earlly weeks of the cycle when it is too early to say no to any invitation (before the first offers go out).

With 40 applications, I predict that you will have at least 8 interviews and at least 4 offers. Anyone care to make a friendly wager on the under/over of that prediction. ;)
I agree with my learned colleague. Suggest adding ALL CA schools, but only UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire. Forget CN"u".

I submitted first day/verified early and have been complete at multiple schools. 0 invites. Recently found the mdphd interview invite thread and no school I have applied to have sent out invites just yet so I guess I’m still safe?

@Goro Argh, just finished UCR last night. I just feel like my strongest point is research but also have done a lot of work with the underserved that I truly enjoy so UCR was a fun app to do. I’m sorry I do not know what CNU is...?
A for profit M.D. school that places the needs of its shareholders over those of its students.

I just received two interview invites today! Indiana University and University of Illinois. Can anyone offer advice on how I can best prepare myself?

Also I have natural hair and would prefer not to wear it straight. I don't want to have to worry about my hair on interview day. Do you think Havana twists pulled back in this style would be OK?

3RSzLe

Hi, everyone! I'm very excited to finally be applying to medical school! I really need help coming up with a school list so any help is much appreciated! I've posted before but I have my MCAT score now!

21 years old, Female, African-American (1st Gen American-Cameroonian)

GPA: 3.271 cGPA
MCAT: 512
State of Residence: Ohio

Extra Curricular
- Patient Care Technician: 500 hours
- Medical Assistant: 3000 hours
- Non clinical service: 900 hours (3 separate ones including an organization that I started)
- Medical fraternity: 300 hours
- Leadership position: 1200 hours
- Research: 350 hours (no publications)
- Research: 600 hours (no publications)
- Leadership position: 950 hours
- Scholars group: 400 hours
- Scholars group: 100 hours
- Clinical volunteering: 1,000 hours
- Shadowing: 500 hours

I also speak four languages!

Anyone who could give me advice on what schools to apply to would greatly be appreciated! @LizzyM @Goro @Faha @gyngyn

I just received two interview invites today! Indiana University and University of Illinois. Can anyone offer advice on how I can best prepare myself?

Also I have natural hair and would prefer not to wear it straight. I don't want to have to worry about my hair on interview day. Do you think Havana twists pulled back in this style would be OK?

3RSzLe

IU is very straight forward interview. Be ready for the typical tell me about yourself, your family, why medicine, and what speciality questions. They also do situational questions. You don't have to know much medical information, they're more ethical situations. Just keep in mind your answers should involve advocating for the patient, doing what is best for the patient, and being honest if there was a mistake made. There's nothing really to stump you. Mine was at Indianapolis and my friend who interviewed at Gary had the same experience. I had a student interviewer and a faculty interviewer at the same time. My other friend who interviewed at Terre Haute had a similar experience with questions but she had a panel of 5 or so faculty/physicians and it threw her off big time. So, just be prepared.

For your hair, natural is fine. Just make sure it's simple. You don't want your outfit/hair to draw any attention away from your answers. Good luck!

Hey, guys. I will be taking the MCAT this Saturday and I would like your opinions on my AAMC FL#3 score (I wasted #1 & #2 so they're of no use). My score break down is so lopsided:

CP: 124 :/ (In the last 10 seconds, I guessed on 4 and left 7 empty because I ran out of time)
CARS: 125 (This is scary. I expected 127+)
BB: 127
PS: 131
Total: 507

AA and female, Ivy League, NJ
sGPA = ~3
cGPA = ~3

I'm quite depressed about this. My goal is a nicely balanced 510+ to help make up for my lackluster GPA. I'm applying this cycle, but I wonder if I should take another month to work on the CP section.

Hello, again! I'd love to hear your opinions on my chances!

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn and anyone else with insight!

• AA, female, HYP, NJ
  • sGPA = ~3 (it does not dip below 3.0; includes postbac)
  • cGPA = ~3 (it does not dip below 3.0; includes postbac)
  • postbac = ~3.7
  • MCAT #1 sub-500.
  • MCAT #2 CP: 126, CARS: 128, BB: 127, PS: 128 | 509
    • I really wanted a 512+, but I guess this is okay. It kills me to know that the conditions I was under during test-taking time were subpar (no sleep and thus was sleepy during the exam, I got into an argument with my SO a few hours before, mild hunger, running out of time in ALL the sections - so while I answered every question, I rushed like a maniac through the majority of it...) and yet I managed to pull off a good score. I am itching to do a retake. I believe I'm capable of comfortably scoring 513+, even though I can't prove it (the only predictable practice exam I had to use for my retake was AAMC #3 and I didn't do so hotly on that one; I used up the others from my first round of MCAT studying).
  • EC/application
    • Clinical EC = cookie cutter
    • Non-clinical EC = above average
    • Research = 3 years in undergrad, no publications
    • I am a non-trad between 25 and 30.
    • My application shows a strong commitment towards the disadvantaged. I also worked to support myself during and after college.
    • My AMCAS application is still in line to be verified. I submitted mid-July. I have not finished/submitted by AACOMAS application yet.
  • List
    • I have a strong preference for the NY/NJ area. The closer to Manhattan, the better. However, I know that beggars can't be choosers. The below was my list prior to taking my MCAT exam when I thought I would score 513+. Please let me know if this list is still viable and please suggest other schools, as well. I would like to apply to 30 schools minimum and my list is currently only 29.
  1. New Jersey Medical School
  2. Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
  3. Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
  4. Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
  5. Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences
  6. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  7. New York University School of Medicine
  8. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  9. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
  10. New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
  11. SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
  12. Stony Brook University School of Medicine
  13. New York Medical College
  14. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  15. Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
  16. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
  17. Yale School of Medicine
  18. Harvard Medical School
  19. Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science at UCLA
  20. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
  21. Howard University College of Medicine
  22. Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
  23. Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
  24. Stanford University School of Medicine
  25. University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
  26. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  27. University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
  28. Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
  29. Boston University School of Medicine

Last edited:
I’m new to sdn and I Just got my MCAT score and I need help with a school list.

506 MCAT, 3.61 gpa, 3.4 science gpa
Biology lab TA
2 summers of bench research, poster presentation
Choir member
Intramural sports
Volunteer in elementary school, hospital
40 hours of shadowing

I’m applying to my state school definitely and the HBCUs but I’m not sure about other schools.
Help

3RSzLe
Congrats! I don't have any advice specific to those schools, but before my first interview, I:

• Read a book called "The Medical School Interview" by Dr. Samir Desai, took notes while reading
  • Typed up answers to basic interview questions (why medicine, tell me about yourself, etc.) and school-specific questions reported on SDN (usually the basic questions plus things like "why XYZ SoM?"). *don't write a script, just points you plan to bring up if asked*
  • I also did a short, voice-only, mock interview with a friend

As for the hair, I can't help you with that lol.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hey guys,

I just need help with a school list and also I want to know my chances at MD. I only applied to one school at the moment but looking to add some more schools. I have already pre-written some secondaries for other schools.

Hispanic male, bilingual, 1st generation immigrant.
GPA: S 3.6 possible 3.7 depending if my scientific writing class gets classified as english instead of biology, C. 3.7
SMP GPA: 3.29 (all med schools classes, mostly B's and B+, except biochem B-)
MCAT: 506 (128,124,128,126)
Research: somewhat extensive- 2 symposiums, thesis, 1 poster, 1 publication at a good journal. Overall 2000+ hrs
Volunteer/ Leadership: Very involved on my college, president of SGA, president of graduating class, etc)
Clinical experience: Yes, one of my research internships was clinical research which allowed me to shadow physicians as well as to have daily interactions with patients (6 months).
LOR: 2 were written by professors on ADCOM's.
Teaching: Yes started as a volunteer, now I'm one of the programs coordinators for an after school program that helps students from underserved neighborhoods be introduced to the health sciences.

Would appreciate feedback from all lol.

@LizzyM @Goro