This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Contrary to popular belief, LOIs do have some impact even if the WL is ranked.

n=1 but I sent a LoI and one week later, I received an acceptance off WL the day they came out with the ranked WL.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
never thought i was so impatient until i went through this process

I received my 2 WLs in the same week in october. I was able to wait it just fine but now I'm 1 week away from being notified if I have been placed in tier 1 or 2 at one of the schools (my top), where all of tier 1 historically gets in, and I've never been this anxious in my life

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an A for a DO program back in December along with 6 MD WL’s throughout, and I’m still waiting to hear back from my most recent interview. I’m stoked that I got into the DO program as it’s one of the better ones, but it’s very far. I’d much rather stay IS for cheaper tuition, and proximity to friends and family. Assuming I don’t come off any WL’s, would I be crazy to reapply and withdraw from the DO program? URM LizzyM 65.10

Assuming I don’t come off any WL’s, would I be crazy to reapply and withdraw from the DO program? URM LizzyM 65.10

Honestly, in my opinion, yes. Crazy to spend the money, time and effort applying and interviewing at a school you really would never want to attend. What makes you think your MD cycle will better as a reapplicant?

I got an A for a DO program back in December along with 6 MD WL’s throughout, and I’m still waiting to hear back from my most recent interview. I’m stoked that I got into the DO program as it’s one of the better ones, but it’s very far. I’d much rather stay IS for cheaper tuition, and proximity to friends and family. Assuming I don’t come off any WL’s, would I be crazy to reapply and withdraw from the DO program? URM LizzyM 65.10

Have you been doing EC's during the application cycle? Any new grades since then? The biggest mistake reapplicants make is coming back with pretty much the same application. Honestly I would just go with the DO program. Its a sure thing whereas the MD route is not at this point. And you would be losing a years worth of salary and possibly more.

Might hear back from my dream school tomorrow. Deep breaths, fingers crossed.

Reactions: 10 users
You got 7 MD IIs... you will be fine. You really will be. But for fun - I would go DO unless you have improved your app in some capacity. Wouldn't even have to be a major improvement, since you got 7 IIs. If you tried to run back the same exact application, it would be risky.

Got my 5th waitlist today 0 acceptances. My pre med advisor advised me to not reapply right away so I’m hoping for the best.
You will be fine. Waitlists don't move this early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining in here, ya'll.

After five interviews this cycle, I'm waiting on five lists.

Fingers crossed super hard.

Good luck to us all.

Reactions: 10 users
Today marks 6 weeks until May 1

Not that I’m counting :oops:

Reactions: 8 users
In general, if admitted from the waitlist, how long does a school give you to decide if you want the spot? Also, do they give you financial aid information before you have to decide?

Reactions: 1 user
In general, if admitted from the waitlist, how long does a school give you to decide if you want the spot? Also, do they give you financial aid information before you have to decide?
The letter I got said 1-3 days

2nd waitlist received today and 1 active consideration. And the waiting continues... Told my dad I got waitlisted and he was like well noone get off waitlists so whats your plan B. I told him to reapply and he looked at me like I was crazy

2nd waitlist received today and 1 active consideration. And the waiting continues... Told my dad I got waitlisted and he was like well noone get off waitlists so whats your plan B. I told him to reapply and he looked at me like I was crazy
our parents are unbelievable sometimes :))) Stay strong!

HONESTLY. i stopped updating my parents about the process because they're SOOO pessimistic
Yes, it's as early as now that a doctor must learn independent thinking. People get in on their second, even third try. Believe in your dream, it was given to you for a reason. Parents love you and don't like to see their kids experience rejection and hurt, but that is the winding road to success. Your best teachers will be your mistakes, and those times you get up again after falling will make you the turtle that beat the hare :)

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe he's thinking of college waitlists? I can tell you from experience that people do legitimately get off waitlists - a huge portion of my friends in medical school came off the waitlist and every year tons of people on the SDN threads get off waitlists at schools all over the country. I know it's hard to stay positive but there is absolutely still hope!

Got waitlisted at the second school I interviewed at, too (Wright State). Waitlisted also at VCU. Feeling a little stressed because don't know what I'm going to do in the fall, but looking into Americorps positions because it's something I really want to do. Planning to reapply the 2020-2021 cycle if needed.

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!! Was really depressed on being on 2 WLs and being a reapplicant. My third interview pulled through! I'm so happy I'm finally going to be a doctor! Currently typing this during a work meeting right now. :p

Reactions: 28 users
I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!! Was really depressed on being on 2 WLs and being a reapplicant. My third interview pulled through! I'm so happy I'm finally going to be a doctor! Currently typing this during a work meeting right now. :p
Huge congrats!!! The feeling of relief is incredible. So happy for you! And just leave the work meeting and go celebrate since you'll be quitting soon anyway. It's 5pm somewhere!

Oh , I am SO happy for you !!!! This is such a relief - I know because that’s how I felt a few weeks ago . I was on three waitlists , and I was freaking out , and then I got an acceptance. It is such a great feeling !!! I have to warn you though - I think it might take you several days if not weeks to really process it.:)))) go celebrate

Also, does anyone know if there's information about waitlists movement for specific schools? I know it's bound to be different this year given the new rules but I'm just trying to get some reassurance for my 4 WL's

Huge congrats!!! The feeling of relief is incredible. So happy for you! And just leave the work meeting and go celebrate since you'll be quitting soon anyway. It's 5pm somewhere!

Oh , I am SO happy for you !!!! This is such a relief - I know because that’s how I felt a few weeks ago . I was on three waitlists , and I was freaking out , and then I got an acceptance. It is such a great feeling !!! I have to warn you though - I think it might take you several days if not weeks to really process it.:)))) go celebrate

Thank you so much!!! I'm getting this mix of euphoria and surrealism that I really can't put to words. Thank you again! And I wish everyone still waiting the best of luck! :)

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know if there's information about waitlists movement for specific schools? I know it's bound to be different this year given the new rules but I'm just trying to get some reassurance for my 4 WL's
There are threads on this website for each school specifically too which give info on each individual school including any waitlist movement.

I still don't really understand what is different about the rules this year than in the past? can someone explain

I still don't really understand what is different about the rules this year than in the past? can someone explain
Read about it here: New Traffic Rules - Wait List

And also important to understand the new "CYMS" (Choose Your Medical School) rules of AMCAS schools. Know the difference between "Plan to Enroll" and "Commit to Enroll".
Be sure to KNOW the deadline for your particular school of desire, by which you must choose the Commit to Enroll option or risk losing that acceptance. You could mess up by holding more than one acceptance past April 30 without committing to any of them.
https://students-residents.aamc.org..._content=673d50a8-752b-482f-90d9-5c302f96cbca

Last edited:
Ok , so when do we think the waitlist movement will start ? EVMS finishes interviewing in March , for example . For schools like that do we think the movement will start on April 15th? Or May 1st?

Ok , so when do we think the waitlist movement will start ? EVMS finishes interviewing in March , for example . For schools like that do we think the movement will start on April 15th? Or May 1st?
Hmm.. I'm not sure. I know that after April 15 people are suggested to drop to 3 acceptances - but I would just plan for in May, that way you don't get your hopes up! That's what I'm doing!

Hmm.. I'm not sure. I know that after April 15 people are suggested to drop to 3 acceptances - but I would just plan for in May, that way you don't get your hopes up! That's what I'm doing!
Ahhh... my birthday is on April 16th... would’ve been the best present ever :))

You are right though . For now I will focus on the last semester of school ...

Ahhh... my birthday is on April 16th... would’ve been the best present ever :))

You are right though . For now I will focus on the last semester of school ...
I will keep my fingers crossed for you! I know it's hard, I'm dying inside hoping to get off one of my two WL. I've gotten my hopes up like 10x during this cycle and nothing has panned out yet, so I'm trying to take a more conservative approach!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you! I know it's hard, I'm dying inside hoping to get off one of my two WL. I've gotten my hopes up like 10x during this cycle and nothing has panned out yet, so I'm trying to take a more conservative approach!
What are your WLs? Do they normally see a lot of movement ?

WL movement is one of the most poorly things represented by past SDN threads
True, but timeline wise it'd probably give some peace of mind, other than directly asking the school, even though there are new traffic rules this cycle. A lot of schools don't have data on it on MSAR.

Georgetown & Drexel - and yup!
Georgetown has a lot of waitlist movement. I got accepted but I’m not even sure that I’m going to go there which I’m sure is the case for many others. I’m sure you’ll get off the list!

True, but timeline wise it'd probably give some peace of mind, other than directly asking the school, even though there are new traffic rules this cycle. A lot of schools don't have data on it on MSAR.

I think we can assume all schools will have more WL movement. But whether it’s a little or a lot more, it’s uncertain.

Also people without acceptances I believe will sadly have a harder time this cycle coming off WL.

I think we can assume all schools will have more WL movement. But whether it’s a little or a lot more, it’s uncertain.

Also people without acceptances I believe will sadly have a harder time this cycle coming off WL.

Why do you think so?

In my (uninformed) opinion, I doubt that there will be MORE waitlist movement. In my eyes, that would only be true if the assumption that schools are waitlisting more students this cycle is true, and I'm not sure that they are. At this point in the cycle, the schools have the same information they usually have. I'm not sure that they are employing new practices if what they have done in the past has worked successfully up to this point. I anticipate that any new procedures would take effect after the point when the multi accept report was made available. That's just my guess though.

Status
Not open for further replies.