2018 CYCLE APPLICANT. WHAT ARE MY CHANCES FOR DO SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhopeful22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was wondering if you could look at my stats and let me know what you think of my chances for DO school. I'm taking my MCAT for the first time on June 17th 2017 and applying this cycle. I haven't been doing that well on my practice MCATs ... scoring around 498 on Kaplan but I haven't prepared much at all. I've rescheduled already but still didn't get the opportunity to study. I have undergrad gpa of 3.49 overall and 3.3 science. 2+ years as an EMT, 6 months with a biomedical research company as a research assistant. Strong letters of rec from research scientists, doctors, manager of hospital, Microbiology professor, & admissions committee member from my undergrad university. I am a Hispanic female if that matters, 21 years old, trilingual. Let's just go with my practice MCAT score of 498. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN! You should not take the MCAT if you "haven't prepared much at all." Honestly, you should postpone the MCAT. Usually the latest that schools will accept a 2017 MCAT for the 2018 application cycle is a test taken in mid-September (may be later for DO schools). If you are set on applying this cycle then reschedule for August 24th or September 1st and study HARD starting today. Your other stats look solid for DO and possibly some low tier MD considering you are URM and a polyglot. An MCAT below 500 will be frowned upon, even by DO schools. Shoot for at least a 503 and try to get some additional clinical experience (i.e. shadowing, scribing, etc.)

The Kaplan practice tests are not indicative AT ALL of what you will score on the actual MCAT. Take the AAMC full-lengths to get a better idea.

Also, what community do you represent? Not all Hispanic groups are considered URM.

If you score around the 500 mark on the MCAT, you will be competitive for some D.O. schools, especially the newer ones. Score around the 505 mark, and you should be competitive for most, if not all, D.O. schools.

Good luck.