2018 Match List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And earlier in this thread people were hating on Osu for matching Osu. Probably won’t change after the merger either. Who’s laughing now b****es

ya well thats going to change soon with OSU adding extra seats and not residencies. There are 2 ortho and 1 ENT spots... so specialties at OSU outside of anestesia and EM will be rare.

Members don't see this ad.

It's really not even that different from most of the DO match lists. It just doesn't have those 2-3 matches that all the DOs circle jerk themselves over saying "Wow! look at us go!".

Maybe some of the lower DO programs. Sure.

I don't think we're circle jerking 2-3 matches. I think we're seeing a few programs doing pretty well in the match.

But honestly, it doesn't matter. Worry about yourself and don't use a match list to determine what or where you should be going.

Reactions: 1 users
or uncompetitive fields like PMR.

I mean, I don't disagree with your other statements, but PM&R had 100% of programs filled in the match for the 3rd (?) straight year. Average board scores are still not "ultra-competitive" per-se, but it's certainly not uncompetitive anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I don't disagree with your other statements, but PM&R had 100% of programs filled in the match for the 3rd (?) straight year. Average board scores are still not "ultra-competitive" per-se, but it's certainly not uncompetitive anymore.

It’s not competitive. You don’t need to be in the top half of DOs to match into it.

ya well thats going to change soon with OSU adding extra seats and not residencies. There are 2 ortho and 1 ENT spots... so specialties at OSU outside of anestesia and EM will be rare.

I’ve been hearing from inside sources that they will be adding residency spots. Maybe not ones like ent or ortho but I have heard things like ob and emergency. I agree with you that the more competitive ones will be harder to reach though but at least our school will dangle a couple out for us. A lot of DO programs can’t say the same.

I’ve been hearing from inside sources that they will be adding residency spots. Maybe not ones like ent or ortho but I have heard things like ob and emergency. I agree with you that the more competitive ones will be harder to reach though but at least our school will dangle a couple out for us. A lot of DO programs can’t say the same.
I heard CUSOM is doing the same thing in NC, and ARCOM is gonna try the same thing in AR.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I will believe it when I see it!

But it's already happening.

Its one thing for these schools to say they "plan" on doing it. I will believe it when I see it actually happen. And no... opening up 2 rural family med residencies is not helpful or something to pat them on the back about when they just brought more than 150 new applicants to the residency pool.

Reactions: 4 users
Its one thing for these schools to say they "plan" on doing it. I will believe it when I see it actually happen. And no... opening up 2 rural family med residencies is not helpful or something to pat them on the back about when they just brought more than 150 new applicants to the residency pool.
Look up CUSOM new residencies and match lists. It's not like 2 rural FM programs, or limited to primary care or something. They basically took over NC, and most of their students fill those spots.

Look up CUSOM new residencies and match lists. It's not like 2 rural FM programs, or limited to primary care or something. They basically took over NC, and most of their students fill those spots.

CUSOM has done well! My original comment was in regard to OSU, but since you responded I figured I would make it a blanket statement for 80% of the DO schools not doing their part.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s not competitive. You don’t need to be in the top half of DOs to match into it.

You don't need to be in the top half of DOs to match most fields tbh. I think we continue to pretend that everything is as difficult to get into as Ortho.

But sure, you don't need to a superstar to get into it. But such is expected due to the fact that it's not a surgical field.

I agree with the above, many people in my class matched ER, OB, psych while not being in the top 50%.
We as a whole tend to look at the field and make blanket statements about it being competitive/noncompetitive but for example a small AOA anesthesia program might not be as lofty as matching Family or IM at a large university program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey how did the ENT match go for everyone?

Reactions: 7 users
Next year will be a true test on what determines dos future. Many AOA programs will be acgme or will be closing their doors. or a few programs will continue to maintain accreditation through aoa until the last class graduates (ideally 2025). I doubt many people will risk the AOA match unless its ortho or ENT or Uro . So that leaves everyone else in the ACGME. Should be interesting to see how this goes.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't need to be in the top half of DOs to match most fields tbh. I think we continue to pretend that everything is as difficult to get into as Ortho.

But sure, you don't need to a superstar to get into it. But such is expected due to the fact that it's not a surgical field.
Exactly...I feel like it would make less than 0 sense to have to be in the top half to match into fields. Obviously the most competitive ones/places you have to have it all, but if you had to be top half for everything nobody would be able to specialize. Half of all graduates have to be bottom half so to say you have zero shot at fields like EM, OB, neuro, etc is SDN nonsense at its finest.

hey how did the ENT match go for everyone?

The rollercoaster of emotions i just went through figuring out this wasnt the real account, wow i am way too emotionally invested in this failedatlife saga

Reactions: 8 users
Exactly...I feel like it would make less than 0 sense to have to be in the top half to match into fields. Obviously the most competitive ones/places you have to have it all, but if you had to be top half for everything nobody would be able to specialize. Half of all graduates have to be bottom half so to say you have zero shot at fields like EM, OB, neuro, etc is SDN nonsense at its finest.

I think honestly as long as you're above the bottom quartile you really have pretty good choices about what to do or where you want to do. Obviously if you fail something or your boards are poor ex. <200 usmle or <500 comlex, then yah you really shouldn't be dreaming of much beyond FM, Neuro, Peds, community IM, etc.

Ohio State and Baylor for IM. Wow. Also the 2 SLU matches are competitive too right? I'm not too familiar with it.

Not sure. I've never had any desire to enter IM and it's never even been on my radar, so other than the tippy top programs I'm pretty clueless about which programs are actually competitive.

This is the future of DO schools as the residency crunch approaches. Essentially >80% FM and IM while everything else goes to MDs. It likely hit LMU early.

This is BS. Statistically speaking EM and anesthesia were the most DO friendly fields this year and pretty much every field which is "moderately competitive" is still open season for DOs who actually have decent applications. Even Diagnostic Rads was 40% non-USMDs this year, so clearly DOs aren't getting shut out there either. I do think that getting into the highly competitive fields like ortho, derm, or ENT as a DO will be an issue after the merger, but saying 80% of DOs are going to end up in FM or IM is just nonsense unless 20 new DO schools pop up in the next 5 years...

Yup, 70% of that list is classified as PC. And 60% of the KCU list is also able to be classified as PC although some of the IM matches were probably competitive enough to do a number of other things. To be 100% honest though, now that I'm done with a year of school I am not sure that any DO school is going to have more than 50% of its class be competitive enough for anything else... I'm starting to develop the opinion that the decreased specialty matches (which we will inevitably see reflected at all DO schools) will be mostly due to the fact that someone with a below average app can't get a spot simply by auditioning anymore and needs to actually have an app worthy of the specialty they want. The changes will honestly be more reflective of the overall true competitiveness of DO students in general where the top 40-50% (I say 50% because you have to factor in the people who matched to solid programs in PC that probably could have had other options if they chose) or so will likely match well and specialize because they will be the only ones actually competitive enough to do that, while the other 50-60% won't be competitive for things outside of PC or uncompetitive fields like PMR.

I think this is a pretty reasonable post, but I do think the moderate fields like EM and anesthesia will still be open to DOs. I think the bolded also gets underestimated a bit. For example, 2 of the EM matches in my class had the CVs to enter pretty much whatever field they wanted and one of them has a CV that would put most ivy league CVs to shame, but he really liked EM and ended up at the academic program back home. Both of the Wake Forest Couples matches were superstars, and several others were the same but chose less competitive fields. One of the gen surg matches was also interviewing at ACGME ortho programs but ranked the gen surg program #1 because it was in his hometown and matched there. Guy legit could have matched ACGME ortho but put those programs further down his rank list in favor of location.

No, most people won't fall into that category, but people seem to forget that the mission statement of most DO schools is to train physicians to enter primary care fields, so it's to be expected that more students would eventually enter those fields as opposed to elite MD schools where primary care isn't a primary goal.

PM&R has actually gotten more competitive in the past decade and it's no longer at the bottom like it used to be. It may seem less competitive for DOs than other fields because it's historically always been a very DO friendly field, but according to the attending I worked with on that rotation it's definitely become more competitive and you can't just walk into it anymore.

Reactions: 9 users
Not sure. I've never had any desire to enter IM and it's never even been on my radar, so other than the tippy top programs I'm pretty clueless about which programs are actually competitive.

This is BS. Statistically speaking EM and anesthesia were the most DO friendly fields this year and pretty much every field which is "moderately competitive" is still open season for DOs who actually have decent applications. Even Diagnostic Rads was 40% non-USMDs this year, so clearly DOs aren't getting shut out there either. I do think that getting into the highly competitive fields like ortho, derm, or ENT as a DO will be an issue after the merger, but saying 80% of DOs are going to end up in FM or IM is just nonsense unless 20 new DO schools pop up in the next 5 years...

I think this is a pretty reasonable post, but I do think the moderate fields like EM and anesthesia will still be open to DOs. I think the bolded also gets underestimated a bit. For example, 2 of the EM matches in my class had the CVs to enter pretty much whatever field they wanted and one of them has a CV that would put most ivy league CVs to shame, but he really liked EM and ended up at the academic program back home. Both of the Wake Forest Couples matches were superstars, and several others were the same but chose less competitive fields. One of the gen surg matches was also interviewing at ACGME ortho programs but ranked the gen surg program #1 because it was in his hometown and matched there. Guy legit could have matched ACGME ortho but put those programs further down his rank list in favor of location.

No, most people won't fall into that category, but people seem to forget that the mission statement of most DO schools is to train physicians to enter primary care fields, so it's to be expected that more students would eventually enter those fields as opposed to elite MD schools where primary care isn't a primary goal.

PM&R has actually gotten more competitive in the past decade and it's no longer at the bottom like it used to be. It may seem less competitive for DOs than other fields because it's historically always been a very DO friendly field, but according to the attending I worked with on that rotation it's definitely become more competitive and you can't just walk into it anymore.
Literally half the AOA FM residents I worked with had failed to match either psych or PM&R. Sad how quickly fields change

Literally half the AOA FM residents I worked with had failed to match either psych or PM&R. Sad how quickly fields change

To be fair, both of those are fields that you can do a lot of in day-to-day FM. FM->Sports = a lot of what is done in PM&R, and tons of Psych in FM, plus behavioral/addiction fellowships are possible. Most of the people in IM I rotated with in M3-4 wanted something slightly more competitive like Rads, Anes, Ophtho, etc.

Also, anyone who was looking for the Match rate thread I do every year, here it is (TL;DR basically things are stagnant if not slightly down from last year, and range is super wide because the report didn't include a breakdown of the AOA scramble):
DO Match Rate 2018

Whoot! Which of the following will be the best new school?

Close enough

No. For ACGME community programs the trend I have seen with a good amount of contacts is a 230+ and good clinical grades will get you a spot if you apply broadly enough. For the former AOA programs I would say you want a 550+ COMLEX to have an ok shot, 580-600+ is better. Anyone is free to correct me on the COMLEX numbers, I know less about AOA programs in general.

Now a match like Ohio State? Yes you need to have the whole package. Probably 250+ with multiple publications.

SSP doesn’t mean anything in the ACGME world.

As a fellow DO who will be applying soon. ACGME Gen Surg programs dont give a F even if we get over a 250. I got higher than that threshold but I have talked to a DO who matched ACGME GS at community hospital and her stats were just as good as mine. Its a crap shoot and also very region specific.

SSP is stupid af. They try to make is as an AOA equivalent but its not.

Yea, the expansion is honestly my biggest concern in terms of future DO match stats and the match in general. I do feel most of the current schools will likely be just fine other than maybe 2 or 3 of the weaker schools, but newer schools will exaggerate the major problems DO students already face in the ACGME match and will only hurt the DO brand in the future.

So as a OMS / med student, how many ivy league residency CV have you seen?

More than you'd think, as many of my friends from grad school ended up at solid medical schools including a few T20s and are now in the more competitive fields (3 nuerosurgeons, plastics, derm) or at elite programs (anesthesia at Mayo, OB/Gyn at JHU, IM --> heme/onc at UTSW, etc). I'm actually one of the underachievers of my grad school group. I was also talking about CVs of med students, not residents. Keep making assumptions though...

Yea, the expansion is honestly my biggest concern in terms of future DO match stats and the match in general. I do feel most of the current schools will likely be just fine other than maybe 2 or 3 of the weaker schools, but newer schools will exaggerate the major problems DO students already face in the ACGME match and will only hurt the DO brand in the future.

More than you'd think, as many of my friends from grad school ended up at solid medical schools including a few T20s and are now in the more competitive fields (3 nuerosurgeons, plastics, derm) or at elite programs (anesthesia at Mayo, OB/Gyn at JHU, IM --> heme/onc at UTSW, etc). I'm actually one of the underachievers of my grad school group. I was also talking about CVs of med students, not residents. Keep making assumptions though...
By grad school do you mean KCU?

By grad school do you mean KCU?

No, I got a graduate degree before med school. Many of my friends from that program ended up in either very competitive fields or at very competitive programs. My med school friends had some solid matches this year, however I'm not referring to my med school classmates in my previous post.

No, I got a graduate degree before med school. Many of my friends from that program ended up in either very competitive fields or at very competitive programs. My med school friends had some solid matches this year, however I'm not referring to my med school classmates in my previous post.
Thank you for the clarification. Also congrats on graduating KCU

As a fellow DO who will be applying soon. ACGME Gen Surg programs dont give a F even if we get over a 250. I got higher than that threshold but I have talked to a DO who matched ACGME GS at community hospital and her stats were just as good as mine. Its a crap shoot and also very region specific.

SSP is stupid af. They try to make is as an AOA equivalent but its not.

Also, letters are HUGE in GS. A letter with a letterhead from "Wichita Community Hospital" means little/nothing to an ACGME PD in a mid-high tier program. Being accepted to elective rotations in solid, academic hospitals is crucial, outperforming the other students, and getting a letter is a HUGE help. But it's easier said than done. Applied to electives a few months ago and some medical centers put up arbitrary barriers for non in-house students and make it impossible to rotate. One hospital asked for my Step 2 score report even though it was February. The system is messed up.

Also, letters are HUGE in GS. A letter with a letterhead from "Wichita Community Hospital" means little/nothing to an ACGME PD in a mid-high tier program. Being accepted to elective rotations in solid, academic hospitals is crucial, outperforming the other students, and getting a letter is a HUGE help. But it's easier said than done. Applied to electives a few months ago and some medical centers put up arbitrary barriers for non in-house students and make it impossible to rotate. One hospital asked for my Step 2 score report even though it was February. The system is messed up.
well at least you know applying there would've been a waste of your time and money anyway then, right?

Their match list has never been great. Like literally almost a carbon copy of the last 4 years.

Huge class size with bottom tier med school applicants --> low boards and majority of people going into IM/FM. Our school brags about matching primary care, so its no issue with the administration. I know people that didnt show up for graduation because they SOAPed into IM and were embarrassed. Also loads of people who wanted other specialties but didnt have the apps/board scores to get it, as well as advisers/mentors to help get their stuff together. Unless you're going IM, FM, or PM&R we dont have any actual faculty that can help us with matching places. Did I forget to mention PE failures ( we have terrible PE pass rate like 75%), hit-or-miss rotation sites, and people taking CE or Step2 in October.

still no LECOM match list? Last year they were like the first DO school to publish results.

FM at UCLA Ronald Reagan (which isn't true -- it's actually at the Santa Monica hospital) is an IMPRESSIVE match. Yea it's Family Medicine, but getting your foot into UCLA's door (main hospital) for just about anything is pretty damn impressive. Cedars-Sinai for Anesthesia-- pretty sick (but the FM was definitely a harder match).

Ohio State and Baylor for IM. Wow. Also the 2 SLU matches are competitive too right? I'm not too familiar with it.

Also of note, PCOM also got a grad into University of Maryland for Neurology. Pretty cool.

Dude what are you talking about?

still no LECOM match list? Last year they were like the first DO school to publish results.

So last year was unusually early. They had their A-game going or something and managed to get it out pretty fast by the end of March. In the past they've released it in April, May, and even as late as June, so it might take some time. We'll just have to wait and see.

Any updates on atsu kcom? Lol strange how they didn’t publish their match list

Neither do you, OMS-1 lol

Seeing as how I'm from the area and know the logistics of the residencies in the area, I know enough to make that statement. LA is the second biggest city in the U.S., with GME severely lacking compared to the East Coast. This FM residency is in the heart of LA (and in the best area) and it's the only one offered by an academic institution directly. (We have Kaiser but it's more of a strong community-hospital than an academic center). We only have UCLA and USC in LA -- with USC not offering a FM residency directly. Take a look at their residents for yourselves:

Residents

Oh, and don't be fooled when you see the IMG's on the list. UCLA has a special IMG program where they recruit these students specifically, thereby reducing the number of spots even more.

And @Lexdiamondz, I think I lost the memo where studying organ systems, anatomy, biochemistry, pathology, etc. taught me how to understand how residency programs work. But hey, anything you can use to try to prove your (really weak) point that you're right, huh.

FWIW if you look at Freida..

The fm residency at Santa Monica has a 221-240 range with a minimum 220 on step one for consideration. They do not take comlex at all.

The anesthesia residency at cedars Sinai has a 221-240 range with no minimum score listed. They do take comlex, and the comlex average is 451-550.

Based purely on scores of qualified applicants, it appears that this FM residency is likely more competitive, at least from a DO standpoint.

If you haven’t been on Freida, been through the match, or done research into stuff like this while applying as an OMS III/IV, please refrain from speaking as if your word is fact.

Seeing as how I'm from the area and know the logistics of the residencies in the area, I know enough to make that statement. LA is the second biggest city in the U.S., with GME severely lacking compared to the East Coast. This FM residency is in the heart of LA (and in the best area) and it's the only one offered by an academic institution directly. (We have Kaiser but it's more of a strong community-hospital than an academic center). We only have UCLA and USC in LA -- with USC not offering a FM residency directly. Take a look at their residents for yourselves:

Residents

Oh, and don't be fooled when you see the IMG's on the list. UCLA has a special IMG program where they recruit these students specifically, thereby reducing the number of spots even more.

And @Lexdiamondz, I think I lost the memo where studying organ systems, anatomy, biochemistry, pathology, etc. taught me how to understand how residency programs work. But hey, anything you can use to try to prove your (really weak) point that you're right, huh.

I can't speak for DOs, but I'm from a non-top MD school but know people with really low steps who interviewed at all the CA FM programs including UCLA. They didn't rank UCLA very high though because they wanted an unopposed program. That being said, anesth at cedars is a newer program and not particularly competitive either (one that got in from my school had a below avg step, little research/honors etc)

I can't speak for DOs, but I'm from a non-top MD school but know people with really low steps who interviewed at all the CA FM programs including UCLA. They didn't rank UCLA very high though because they wanted an unopposed program. That being said, anesth at cedars is a newer program and not particularly competitive either (one that got in from my school had a below avg step, little research/honors etc)

UCLA's FM residency is at their Santa Monica hospital and not the main Ronald Reagan one. Would it still be considered opposed in this case?

UCLA's FM residency is at their Santa Monica hospital and not the main Ronald Reagan one. Would it still be considered opposed in this case?
I know other UCLA residency programs rotate through there (e.g. Internal Medicine), but I don't know the specifics.

FWIW if you look at Freida..

The fm residency at Santa Monica has a 221-240 range with a minimum 220 on step one for consideration. They do not take comlex at all.

The anesthesia residency at cedars Sinai has a 221-240 range with no minimum score listed. They do take comlex, and the comlex average is 451-550.

Based purely on scores of qualified applicants, it appears that this FM residency is likely more competitive, at least from a DO standpoint.

If you haven’t been on Freida, been through the match, or done research into stuff like this while applying as an OMS III/IV, please refrain from speaking as if your word is fact.
The Frieda stats aren't accurate. Most residency programs actually don't have a minimum cutoff, regardless of how elite the program is. I had been told that certain competitive programs (Brigham IM) used step screens, but they released some residency admission data to schools who participated in the TX STAR (Seeking Transparency in Application to Residency) survey this year, and it's proven this is clearly not the case for many. People matched Brigham IM with steps in the 210s-220s, several hopkins IM with 220s, derm at WashU with a 210s, ophtha at vandy with 210s... the list goes on if we're only looking @ the denominator.

For those specific programs, here's the step 1 data I have for people who reported interviews at UCLA FM (each range is one data point, reported as a range to maintain anonymity):
240-244, 235-239, 225-229, 210-214, 215-219, 225-229, 205-209, 220-224, 235-239, 205-209, 235-239, 215-219, 240-244, 220-224, 235-239, 230-234, 230-234, 230-234, 225-229, 200-204, 230-234, 240-244, 230-234, 210-214, 215-219
And then Cedars anesth:
240-244, 230-234, 250-254, 230-234, 245-249, 230-234, 230-234, 225-229, 220-224, 215-219, 235-239, 220-224, 245-249, 240-244
245-249, 235-239, 225-229, 235-239, 225-229, 225-229, 250-254, 240-244, 215-219, 235-239,245-249, 220-224, 245-249, 240-244, 235-239, 255-259, 220-224, 220-224, 220-224, 235-239, 225-229, 240-244, 240-244, 220-224, 250-254, 240-244

Lol this. The program used to match hispanic IMGs almost exclusively in the past.. like half their class used to be from guadlajara and so forth.

SCVMC (stanford) FM could be called competitive, but none of the rest lol

Yea, through their UCLA IMG program — not because they couldn’t easily fill with U.S. grads. Big difference.

And the point isn’t just about board scores. If you’re not from a CA medical school, it is very difficult to get in there. The problem, again, is a supply and demand issue. I’m sure if you see the Anesthesia matches in LA, the residents are more geographically diverse as opposed to the FM residency.

Yea, through their UCLA IMG program — not because they couldn’t easily fill with U.S. grads. Big difference.

And the point isn’t just about board scores. If you’re not from a CA medical school, it is very difficult to get in there. The problem, again, is a supply and demand issue. I’m sure if you see the Anesthesia matches in LA, the residents are more geographically diverse as opposed to the FM residency.
Of the 25 individuals who received interviews that I listed, 10/25 of them stated a geographic connection (others came from places like NC, MI, IL, FL, NY, TX, PA). I assume most that end up there are CA because the CA people rank it higher.

Of the 25 individuals who received interviews that I listed, 10/25 of them stated a geographic connection (others came from places like NC, MI, IL, FL, NY, TX, PA). I assume most that end up there are CA because the CA people rank it higher.

Maybe you’re right... it’s just being from the area you know where the good areas are. LA is huge and a lot of the areas aren’t good, but the UCLA site is in one of the best areas and it’s affiliated with the best hospital in the region. Even Cedars Sinai and USC don’t have FM residencies.

California Hospital Medical Center is in downtown LA— but the patient population is difficult to deal with. The only other ones I can think of in the area are Kaiser LA, Dignity Northridge, and Glendale Adventist. Northridge and Adventist are a good 15-20 miles away from West LA as well.

With Anesthesia, you have UCLA, Cedars, USC, and Kaiser — with, in general, a smaller applicant pool applying for Anesthesia than FM. This is why I concluded that the FM residency is harder to get into (along with seeing more DO’s in competitive Anesthesia residencies than FM residencies in match lists).