2018 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just so everyone gets some sort of timeline (and of course it can always change year to year)....

For 2017
- got email for FMS and personal statement March 1 (saw most people got this for that 1st week)
- got email about interviews March 30. This was sent out in batches for each group per interviewer . Email from PHAP and email from doodle later to schedule. Schedule emails were in batches so pick your slot quickly.

Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey you all! Quick question. Does anyone know if it is possible to attend graduate school while participating in the PHAP cohort? I’m applying to graduate school at the moment as well and I am having a hard time making a decision. If I make it to the 3rd phase!! Thanks.
Yes, it is possible to do both.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey- sorry to post about this again in here- but does anyone who also applied to GHC have any information on that application? The hear-back dates were March 2-17 so I’m getting pretty antsy

Members don't see this ad :)
Was wondering, did anyone else who was NOT referred get this e-mail?:

"Your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria for referral.Therefore, your application package was not reviewed and your name was not referred to the selecting official for consideration."

I received it two days ago... not that it matters, but does this literally mean my application was thrown out because I didn't rate myself highly enough on the questionnaire thing? I really hope that's not the case... I wasn't salty before but I will be if my resume/cover letter weren't even reviewed...

Last edited:

"Your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria for referral.Therefore, your application package was not reviewed and your name was not referred to the selecting official for consideration."

I received it two days ago... not that it matters, but does this literally mean my application was thrown out because I didn't rate myself highly enough on the questionnaire thing? I really hope that's not the case... I wasn't salty before but I will be if my resume/cover letter weren't even reviewed...

Hi Feemebot,

Unfortunately the application portal uses an automatic system to disqualify the first round of applicants. If you don’t fall among the highest ranking applicants, you won’t be moved onto the next round.

It’s a tricky process because you want to make sure that you’re ranking yourself high enough while being fair to your actual limitations. If you rank yourself too high and can’t support your ranking with your resume/ references you’re likely to be disqualified anyway, it would just happen later on.

Hi Feemebot,

Unfortunately the application portal uses an automatic system to disqualify the first round of applicants. If you don’t fall among the highest ranking applicants, you won’t be moved onto the next round.

It’s a tricky process because you want to make sure that you’re ranking yourself high enough while being fair to your actual limitations. If you rank yourself too high and can’t support your ranking with your resume/ references you’re likely to be disqualified anyway, it would just happen later on.

Hey, thanks for your answer. None of this is directed at you as I know it's not your fault, but the fact that a human couldn't be bothered to even open my application really bothers me -- especially seeing as this was a program that I was really excited for, and I spent a really long time thinking about my application.

It's not even like I rated myself low to be modest or something -- I gave myself almost all 4/5s. I guess I was "supposed" to give myself more 5s -- but the text for 5 reads "I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist or train them in doing this task because of my expertise." I am an undergraduate in college who works with people who hold MPHs at the very least. It would be a ridiculous and outright lie to imply that anyone I work with would consider me an "expert" in anything. And isn't PHAP supposed to be a training program? If I considered myself an "expert" in anything, I wouldn't even be considering a program that pays comparatively so little. But if I had known that this questionnaire, which frankly I took about 10 minutes to do, would be so important in screening, I honestly would have just lied and rated myself 5/5 in everything.

I feel like a sore loser airing my rant on a public forum like this -- but as I won't have the opportunity to apply again, I hope this can somehow help applicants next year.

Hey, thanks for your answer. None of this is directed at you as I know it's not your fault, but the fact that a human couldn't be bothered to even open my application really bothers me -- especially seeing as this was a program that I was really excited for, and I spent a really long time thinking about my application.

It's not even like I rated myself low to be modest or something -- I gave myself almost all 4/5s. I guess I was "supposed" to give myself more 5s -- but the text for 5 reads "I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist or train them in doing this task because of my expertise." I am an undergraduate in college who works with people who hold MPHs at the very least. It would be a ridiculous and outright lie to imply that anyone I work with would consider me an "expert" in anything. And isn't PHAP supposed to be a training program? If I considered myself an "expert" in anything, I wouldn't even be considering a program that pays comparatively so little. But if I had known that this questionnaire, which frankly I took about 10 minutes to do, would be so important in screening, I honestly would have just lied and rated myself 5/5 in everything.

I feel like a sore loser airing my rant on a public forum like this -- but as I won't have the opportunity to apply again, I hope this can somehow help applicants next year.
When did you get this message, femmebot? The reason that I'm asking is because I do hold an MPH, but there are a couple of questions that I rated myself at 3 or 4 on (can't remember which ones, since I did it rather quickly, too and barely remember the questions), so I'm wondering if there's a glitch somewhere.

I say that because there seems to be a lot of glitches with the PHAP program this year. For example, I originally got an email saying that I didn't qualify for the program because I didn't submit all the required documents, which wasn't true at all. I called them up the same day, and after looking at what I had sent, the woman on the phone realized there was just a misunderstanding, and made a note of it in my file. After the correction, I was moved on to the next round.

Even after that, those of us who moved on to the next round saw a discrepancy in the deadline for the essay submission that took multiple contacts with PHAP to fix (the portal would've closed 3 days early). I really think it's worth a call to see if there was a mistake on their end. With all 4s and 5s, and really think you should've been passed on to someone to at least take a look at your resume.

When did you get this message, femmebot? The reason that I'm asking is because I do hold an MPH, but there are a couple of questions that I rated myself at 3 or 4 on (can't remember which ones, since I did it rather quickly, too and barely remember the questions), so I'm wondering if there's a glitch somewhere.

I say that because there seems to be a lot of glitches with the PHAP program this year. For example, I originally got an email saying that I didn't qualify for the program because I didn't submit all the required documents, which wasn't true at all. I called them up the same day, and after looking at what I had sent, the woman on the phone realized there was just a misunderstanding, and made a note of it in my file. After the correction, I was moved on to the next round.

Even after that, those of us who moved on to the next round saw a discrepancy in the deadline for the essay submission that took multiple contacts with PHAP to fix (the portal would've closed 3 days early). I really think it's worth a call to see if there was a mistake on their end. With all 4s and 5s, and really think you should've been passed on to someone to at least take a look at your resume.

I received that message last Thursday, a few weeks after having received the general notification that I wasn't referred.

That's interesting. I actually didn't give myself any 5s (when I said mostly 4/5s I had meant 4s out of 5, not 4s and 5s). I think I gave myself maybe two 3s and one 2, so it is possible that I really just didn't score high enough. The other thing I was wondering is, perhaps I messed up the eligibility questions (the ones that ask if you're a recent graduate etc). I e-mailed CDC about that last week though, and all they did was send me the exact same "Your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria for referral" message, lol.

Seeing as they were so little help over e-mail, I'm kind of hesitant to call. I don't even know what else they'd say. I'm sort of already over it anyway, but it just sucks that they didn't even open my application -- I was totally fine with being rejected when I thought they had at least read it, lol. This program is one of the big reasons I decided to take two gap years before going back to school, too. Oh well. Thank you (and @PublicHealth94) so much for your thoughts anyway.

I received that message last Thursday, a few weeks after having received the general notification that I wasn't referred.

That's interesting. I actually didn't give myself any 5s (when I said mostly 4/5s I had meant 4s out of 5, not 4s and 5s). I think I gave myself maybe two 3s and one 2, so it is possible that I really just didn't score high enough. The other thing I was wondering is, perhaps I messed up the eligibility questions (the ones that ask if you're a recent graduate etc). I e-mailed CDC about that last week though, and all they did was send me the exact same "Your responses to the assessment questionnaire did not fall within the eligibility criteria for referral" message, lol.

Seeing as they were so little help over e-mail, I'm kind of hesitant to call. I don't even know what else they'd say. I'm sort of already over it anyway, but it just sucks that they didn't even open my application -- I was totally fine with being rejected when I thought they had at least read it, lol. This program is one of the big reasons I decided to take two gap years before going back to school, too. Oh well. Thank you (and @PublicHealth94) so much for your thoughts anyway.

I'll bet the question about the recent graduate is what did it. I believe that was something along the lines of "are you, or will you be, a recent graduate (on or before June 2018)?" Something like that. I'm pretty sure that was the number 1 eligibility criteria, and if you marked 'no', the system will automatically reject you. I know it's super frustrating. I'm applying for jobs right now besides PHAP, and many companies use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATSs) like USAJobs.gov uses, and it's all the same thing - the computer looks for specific things, and if you don't have it, they auto-reject you. Technology making life... easier?

But there are other options for a gap year, too, that would be really beneficial. You could do AmeriCorps or Peace Corps. I have a lot of friends who did PC, and they're really well positioned now. There are also a million fellowship programs, too, that you can look into. I'm sure you can figure something out! I'm really sorry this happened, though. It's beyond disappointing...

I'll bet the question about the recent graduate is what did it. I believe that was something along the lines of "are you, or will you be, a recent graduate (on or before June 2018)?" Something like that. I'm pretty sure that was the number 1 eligibility criteria, and if you marked 'no', the system will automatically reject you. I know it's super frustrating. I'm applying for jobs right now besides PHAP, and many companies use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATSs) like USAJobs.gov uses, and it's all the same thing - the computer looks for specific things, and if you don't have it, they auto-reject you. Technology making life... easier?

But there are other options for a gap year, too, that would be really beneficial. You could do AmeriCorps or Peace Corps. I have a lot of friends who did PC, and they're really well positioned now. There are also a million fellowship programs, too, that you can look into. I'm sure you can figure something out! I'm really sorry this happened, though. It's beyond disappointing...

Oh no, haha, if that's what happened, that's even more frustrating.

Just to be clear, the questions were:

2. Are you a recent graduate who has, within the previous two years, completed a qualifying Associate's, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program?
Note: Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree due to military service obligation have up to six years after degree completion to apply.
For more information, review USAJOBS Student and Recent Graduate Resources. To verify your eligibility, you must submit a copy of your transcripts. If you are a veteran, please submit a copy of your latest Certificate of Release or
Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214 (copy indicating character of service) or other proof of service which includes character of service. *

3. Are you eligible for the Recent Graduates Program? To be eligible for this developmental experience program, recent graduates must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion (except for certain eligible veterans). The Program lasts for 1 year (unless the training requirements of the position warrant a longer and more structured training program).
For more information, review USAJOBS Student and Recent Graduate Resources. *​

I wasn't sure how to answer, so I called CDC and the person I talked to (rather curtly) told me to answer "No" to #2 and "Yes" to #3. (I posted about this much earlier in this thread). There was another question later that read:

1. From the descriptions below, select the one which best describes your education and/or experience that meets the Minimum Qualification Requirements for the CDC Public Health Associate Program for Recent Graduates, GS-0685-Grade 5. *
A. I have successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree within the past 2 years.
B. I will have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university by July 1, 2018.
C. I do not possess the education requirement described for this position.

... to which I answered B. So I think I made my situation clear enough, and I really hope my application wasn't trashed because the CDC helpdesk guy gave me wrong information.

In any case, thank you for your gap year advice! I'm already applying to several other programs so I'm not really too worried. I just wish I knew if I was screwed over for this or not, haha.​

Hi! 2017 PHAP here!
I'm sorry if this was already addressed (I'm responding without reading other responses because I am in a bit of a rush). A few 2017 PHAPS received the same email last year and we later found out that it was a glitch in the system. I would sugest checking your application status on USAJobs.gov (is that still the site used to gov't job apps?) because it'll tell you whether or not your application was actually referred.
Good luck!

Hi quick question, I just logged into my application profile and clicked track your application, it says that I was selected for an interview and should have received an email or call, but I haven't received anything about it yet. Has anyone else received an email or call? Or gotten this update to their application status? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi quick question, I just logged into my application profile and clicked track your application, it says that I was selected for an interview and should have received an email or call, but I haven't received anything about it yet. Has anyone else received an email or call? Or gotten this update to their application status? Thank you!

Hey, I received that notification as well when I clicked track my application. Are you going to email them or wait? I’ve seen on past forums people said they received their interview email on the 30th of March. I’m not sure what to do!! Congrats to you though!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I received that notification as well when I clicked track my application. Are you going to email them or wait? I’ve seen on past forums people said they received their interview email on the 30th of March. I’m not sure what to do!! Congrats to you though!!!!!!
Hi, congrats! Yeah I'm not really sure what to do, it says they will email in April so I feel like it's a bit early to email them and ask about it but I don't know, I think I'll wait a couple days anyways.

Hi, congrats! Yeah I'm not really sure what to do, it says they will email in April so I feel like it's a bit early to email them and ask about it but I don't know, I think I'll wait a couple days anyways.
Yeah I will wait as well, I misread that.

Yes, I checked "track your application" and it said I was referred for an interview. I'm just going to wait a couple days. Congrats to everyone!

Hi, everyone! Checked my status today and it says that I was referred for an interview as well. Congrats to you all!

Hi everyone l, I also checked my application and saw I was picked for the interview! Congrats to everyone else! Will be looking out for the email or phone call

Hi! 2017 PHAP here!
I'm sorry if this was already addressed (I'm responding without reading other responses because I am in a bit of a rush). A few 2017 PHAPS received the same email last year and we later found out that it was a glitch in the system. I would sugest checking your application status on USAJobs.gov (is that still the site used to gov't job apps?) because it'll tell you whether or not your application was actually referred.
Good luck!

Hi! Did they tell you all how many people applied this year?

Yes, I checked "track your application" and it said I was referred for an interview. I'm just going to wait a couple days. Congrats to everyone!
I remember you said you were offered placement in a previous application phase...Do you happen to have any advice for the interview round?

I have also been selected for an interview, but no email yet! I'm sure it will come in a couple days!

Hi Everyone! Congrats to all those who proceeded to the next step. Unfortunately, I was not selected, but I will try again next year. Until then, I guess Grad school it is.

I remember you said you were offered placement in a previous application phase...Do you happen to have any advice for the interview round?

I honestly do not remember much about the interview, but I will definitely say be yourself and market yourself in the best way possible. Just be authentic and believe in your capabilities.

Mine still says that my application is being reviewed... i hope this isnt a bad sign lol

Mine still says that my application is being reviewed... i hope this isnt a bad sign lol
Mine says the same “currently being reviewed” it’s making me more nervous than before lol. Good luck to you.
And congratulations to everyone who have been selected for interview.

Mine says the same “currently being reviewed” it’s making me more nervous than before lol. Good luck to you.
And congratulations to everyone who have been selected for interview.
Mine does, too. I keep going back and hoping for an update. I remember my email about the personal statement didn't come until the last day, either. It's a bit nerve racking, though! Good luck everyone!!

Mine does, too. I keep going back and hoping for an update. I remember my email about the personal statement didn't come until the last day, either. It's a bit nerve racking, though! Good luck everyone!!
I have been doing the same checking my status every 10 mins or so lol. I am not that hopeful. I could have worked on my personal statement a bit more. Anyways, whatever happens I got to accept it lol. All the best to you

Mines also still says, " Currently being reviewed, but I received an email saying I was not selected." Maybe there's some hope and last minute selections.

Just remember the time zone!!! Lots of people missed their interviews because they forgot the time zone!!!

Also, current and past PHAP cannot discuss the interview really. There are just some typical Interview workplace questions and scenario questions

Has anyone received an email yet regarding interviews?

I haven’t received an email yet either. I’ll give it to wednesday before I email PHAP

I haven’t received an email yet either. I’ll give it to wednesday before I email PHAP
I emailed them today and they said there hasn't been any correspondence sent out regarding scheduling interviews.

I wonder if they're still making last minute decisions? My application still says "being reviewed," but I haven't received an email saying I haven't been selected, either, like some folks. @Knight14 - did you get a sense for when they'll be sending out the emails?

I wonder if they're still making last minute decisions? My application still says "being reviewed," but I haven't received an email saying I haven't been selected, either, like some folks. @Knight14 - did you get a sense for when they'll be sending out the emails?

No, not really. They just reiterated that this month is Phase III when candidates will be notified if they have been selected for an interview. They also asked that we please be patient in receiving more detailed interview instructions. :)

Is anyone's else application still saying "Your application is being reviewed" today?

Is anyone's else application still saying "Your application is being reviewed" today?
Mine says the same. I am not very positive for myself, but good luck to everyone else. I guess I’ll be trying again for next year.

Hi you all. Has anyone been contacted for an interview yet? Still waiting but getting anxious as we are moving into the second week of April now.

Hi you all. Has anyone been contacted for an interview yet? Still waiting but getting anxious as we are moving into the second week of April now.
I haven't been contacted yet, but my application portal says that I was selected for an interview. I think things just move very slowly!

So, I have a question.
It relates to housing and it's kinda unrelated to the PHAP process, I just need some advice.
I got an interview for CDC PHAP (which I am incredibly grateful for), but I have also been accepted into graduate school. If I get PHAP, I'm going to defer my admission to graduate school. If I don't get in, I'm just going to graduate school.

Since we don't know if we get into the program by late June-August, I'm not sure when to looking for housing for my graduate school just in case I don't get into PHAP. Any ideas when I should start looking?

Like I said, totally unrelated to PHAP. Thanks though!

Hi. So i heard from a current PHAP associate that her friend got her email for a interview on March 26. I still have not received a email for a interview. It is wrecking my nerves. Has anyone else heard anything?

UPDATE!

Just received a interview invite!

Last edited:
Just received my email about the interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi. So i heard from a current PHAP associate that her friend got her email for a interview on March 26. I still have not received a email for a interview. It is wrecking my nerves. Has anyone else heard anything?
I just received my email as well so it looks like they are sending them out now. In any case it says to respond by April 16th so I would think everyone would have to hear by then. Good luck!

Yay got mine too! Congrats all!

Got mine, too! I was getting so nervous cause my status on the portal never changed from "being reviewed," so it was really nice to see that I'll be moving on to the next round, too! Congratulations to everyone who's moving forward!

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I got my email as well. So excited and best of luck to everyone too!!!!

Has anyone received the doodle poll yet to set up your interview? I have 3 going for separate things at the moment, so I'm a bit concerned that it's just getting buried in my inbox amongst the other polls.

Has anyone received the doodle poll yet to set up your interview? I have 3 going for separate things at the moment, so I'm a bit concerned that it's just getting buried in my inbox amongst the other polls.

Yes, my doodle poll came 30 mins after the interview email.

I sent my email response at around 4:48, so that means it was after 5pm east coast time. I'm just gonna assume that I'll get an email tomorrow once they are back in the office. Not sure what tie you sent your response but that could be a factor.