2019 Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you done a neuro rotation? That’s why. Great specialty but certainly a personality
I think it will come back in style with psych getting so competitive. People will realize that nuero is great way to avoid primary care and guarantee a 300k+ specialty with decent call (especially if you stick to outpatient non-intervention based). Good hours, relatively immune to midlevels, not that hard to match. Psych went up, Anesthesias going up again, Nuero is next.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Neurology is one of those specialties that only attracts the ones who truly adore the CNS and/or can’t imagine doing anything else in medicine. Its intellectually challenging, not very lifestyle friendly, brutal residency workload/hrs, and the pay isn’t that great (on par with nonprocedural IM specialties- rheum, Allergy, Endo). On top of all that, unfortunately Neuro is not a core rotation at most DO schools (something that is truly disturbing tbh). For these reasons and more, it’s not hard to see why neurology is not a sought after specialty among med students, specially DO students.
I feel like AI salary isnt horrible compared to say Endo ID and Nephro for the amount of training. Def not as good as Hemeonc GI or Cards though

I think it will come back in style with psych getting so competitive. People will realize that nuero is great way to avoid primary care and guarantee a 300k+ specialty with decent call (especially if you stick to outpatient non-intervention based). Good hours, relatively immune to midlevels, not that hard to match. Psych went up, Anesthesias going up again, Nuero is next.

Anesthesia was rough this year. I had a lot of friends drop below their 4th rank. Some matched to their back ups. I dropped pretty low on my list too.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Psych floor is 300K? didnt know it was that high. Thought it was in the 200s

Why on the DO forum we always waste our time arguing what's top notch and what's not top notch? I mean who cares? The important thing is the person matched, and s/he did because s/he applied to some programs, got several interviews, liked some of them, ranked them based on fit, and the program chose them based on fit. There shouldn't be any more argument on that. Whatever program it is it's top notch for whoever is going to be a resident there. End of discussion.

This couldn't be more true. As a 4th year who matched at my #1 choice at an academic program, unless you're a 4th year in the process, you have no idea what you're talking about. I watched these threads every year and took part in the bickering. Now that I'm through the process, I can tell you that it's more than just stats and prestige when it comes time to make your ROL. I received interviews to places more prestigious than where I matched (not listed in my old posts), but chose to rank based off of location because I'm married and location was important to us. There's more than just prestige when it comes time to making a ROL, and you all will see that. I can't speak for anybody else, but remember, there's more to a match list than simply the final results- especially when people receive and turn down interviews at solid programs just based off of location.

Reactions: 16 users
especially when people receive and turn down interviews at solid programs just based off of location.
Not a 4th year, but totally resonate with this. I would rank "worse" programs so that I could match back home, hands down. Not everyone cares about matching at the most prestigious place over everything else.

Reactions: 8 users
Thats high even for Neuro. Neuro floor im pretty sure is not 300+. I mean sure there are neuros that make 300 but def not the minimum
Average was something like 305 2 yrs in according to MGMA. It’s damn close but nobody wants the brain

Reactions: 2 users
Average was something like 305 2 yrs in according to MGMA. It’s damn close but nobody wants the brain
Oh wow didnt know that thanks! For me, neuro is too intangible. You find the lesion and can only do minimal things about it. This is me but obviously if everyone hated it we wouldnt have any neuros so thank God we have people that like it haha

Oh wow didnt know that thanks! For me, neuro is too intangible. You find the lesion and can only do minimal things about it. This is me but obviously if everyone hated it we wouldnt have any neuros so thank God we have people that like it haha
I’m all about it so kinda hope people run away for my match in a couple years haha

Yes and we know little about the brain so it’s really the next frontier. People that want to be apart of cutting edge/ discovering treatments should strongly consider neurology

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Its hard, but when push comes to shove, and you decide you hate primary care, thats one of the last places you can turn to other than path.

Nuero/psych are on a continuum, but just like most medical students I find nuero to be the difficult and tedious side. I mean who really wants to do headache medicine or steal old peoples licenses because their demented.

Last edited:
Have you done a neuro rotation? That’s why. Great specialty but certainly a personality

I'm entering clinicals clinical rotations in a couple months, what kind of personality is it? Nerdy?

Still figuring out what I want to do, but neuro is up there. Hopefully it's not too bad by the time I start applying in 2 years.

Last edited:
the 7 ortho matches would normally be sweet, but supposedly DMU had 15+ applying ortho this year due to the score inflation.
It ended up being 13 that actually applied and interviewed. Those that didn't match 4 are doing TY and 2 are doing anesthesia.

It ended up being 13 that actually applied and interviewed. Those that didn't match 4 are doing TY and 2 are doing anesthesia.

Heavy bummer. Name of the game tho. If the same amount of DO residency spots are accredited at this time next year, and the same amount of people apply the match rate will be ~ +/-20% for osteopathic ortho spots.

I'm entering clinicals clinical rotations in a couple months, what kind of personality is it? Nerdy?

Still figuring out what I want to do, but neuro is up there. Hopefully it's not too bad by the time I start applying in 2 years.

Ya they are of the more intellectual types but not necessarily nerdy.

Rough. I heard similar, or even worse numbers for KCU students applying ortho this year. Luckily my school went 5 for 5. But I guess the idea that people had falsely inflated hope due to inflated COMLEX scores makes sense.

Rough. I heard similar, or even worse numbers for KCU students applying ortho this year. Luckily my school went 5 for 5. But I guess the idea that people had falsely inflated hope due to inflated COMLEX scores makes sense.
KCU had 8 ortho matches this year but I think like 13+ applied.

More news (limited) on Rowan SOM. Matches into Hopkins, Dartmouth, Georgetown Jefferson is all Ive read lol so these could be FM for all I know or they could be gas or something a little bit more competitive

More news (limited) on Rowan SOM. Matches into Hopkins, Dartmouth, Georgetown Jefferson is all Ive read lol so these could be FM for all I know or they could be gas or something a little bit more competitive

Get the deets bruh. Hit up the 4th years for the list

KCU had 8 ortho matches this year but I think like 13+ applied.

Kind of crazy how KCU has 8 out of 236 seniors match ortho and a newer school like CUSOM had 6 out of 154 seniors match. I think it goes to show picking a school by how much they have it together makes more sense than how established they are.

From personal experience being on the other side of the ortho match this year, its all about the away rotation and personality once your board score gets you in the door. School name was not considered once in our rank meeting and we are affiliated with an older DO school.

Anyways, congrats to everyone that matched any specialty! Its a major accomplishment and I know everyone worked their butts off for it. PS don’t study before intern year starts and enjoy your time off :cigar:

Reactions: 5 users
Why is psych so popular? Has there been some magical boom in reimbursement?

Edited to specify this is *NSU*

41E9EAA9-45CD-4E90-9CCD-12210B5EF9F9.jpeg
EC3AED56-7A1D-43F3-87FC-8F78730C7E4E.jpeg
17D359A9-C05C-4178-B02E-B1C5A9779CBF.jpeg
706E8A02-57C0-4D99-AD66-A49AEDBF3C49.jpeg
Anybody have the PCOM-Ga or Nova lists/info?

This is a self-reported list that was given to us (M2s) by the 4th year class for contacts and advice. (I cut the names and contact info out). Keep in mind this is only from 74 people who wanted to help other years, out of a class of 230-240.

Last edited:
Why is psych so popular? Has there been some magical boom in reimbursement?

It's compensation has been increasingly pretty nicely, yes.

Also people have realized it has amazing work-life balance. On top of that, it used to be very easy to get into so you could almost look forward to a derm lifestyle without the inflated competition. Given it's likely the new derm, that mindset will change but the other benefits remain.

It's compensation has been increasingly pretty nicely, yes.

Also people have realized it has amazing work-life balance. On top of that, it used to be very easy to get into so you could almost look forward to a derm lifestyle without the inflated competition. Given it's likely the new derm, that mindset will change but the other benefits remain.
Seems to me to be a good way to get some pretty crappy psychiatrists.

Just because someone partially picks a specialty because of lifestyle and reimbursement does not mean they'll provide substandard care.

Reactions: 11 users

The people who are smart and driven and lucky enough to make it into the competitive, lucrative specialties primarily due to financial incentive strike me as the type of people who will be successful at just about anything they put their minds to. Sure, they will complain like hell the minute ANYTHING threatens to reduce how much money they make, but other than that there's nothing to suggest they would be bad at what they do.

It actually kinda is. Thanks for the first year perspective, though.
And your perspective as an M3/M4 gives you special insight into residency training and professional acumen?

Alright, I’ve met a lot of Richy Riches in med school and on clerkships with dollar signs in their eyes in various specialities. Some of them are not very impressive at what they do. Every single passionate and intrinsically motivated physician I have has been stellar.

To avoid derailing this thread in that direction, let’s take a closer look at some of those psych matches. Are we seeing anywhere particularly competitive?

Not sure how competitive Boston U psych is, but I saw on NYITs page that someone matched there

To avoid derailing this thread in that direction, let’s take a closer look at some of those psych matches. Are we seeing anywhere particularly competitive?

They are, without a doubt, the more socially awkward and nerdy personalities.

Nah. I know more than a few that aren’t. Just super intellectual people who enjoy the brain power involved or people that have been touched my diseases followed by neurologists such as MS.

WOW.

Last edited:

My school had a few solid local matches. One solid one.

USMD match rate for psych this year was 83.8%, however. I suspect the DO match rate this year will be under 70.

Personally looking back this year, location was almost as important as specialty. I wish I had dual applied. But in the end I soaped into a solid program that has strong fellowship match rates and closer to home than a lot of the psych programs I interviewed at. So it worked out for me. Just be cognizant of the fact that the match is pretty ridiculous process.

Psych is one of the few fields in medicine that you can do a really terrible job at and STILL have success in it.

It's easy to be a crappy psychiatrist and the money and lifestyle is great for what you do.

I've seen it in person.

Out of the 10 people from my program entering psych, 8 of them have mentioned this to me in person when we hang and we talk about school.

They ONLY mention the salary, hourly pay, how they will live and work near the beach/coast.... etc.

NOT ONE MENTION of mental health disparities, solutions and the intriguing aspect of mental illness or ANYTHING.

The other 2 actually had EXTENSIVE background working in mental health BEFORE medical school and came to school to become psychiatrists and understand the management aspect more.

So yes.

There are going to be MANY crappy psychiatrists IF they make it through residency to practice ESPECIALLY if they have this SAME attitude.

How is this not a surprise?

You have a bunch of spoiled princesses and princes that want money and lifestyle and are disillusioned with medicine.

A bunch of millennials who wanna look like doctors for the 'gram... but don't wanna work like doctors. They'll sell you out for a dollar.

Every field has bad doctors who almost have close to no competency to manage things medically outside of their field. Psychiatry is no different in this respect. However with psychiatry there is simply a lot more you need to put up with in terms of the questionable nature of many approaches and paradigms. I think the great thing about Psych is that you most of the actual fun psych you can handle outpatient as a primary care physician.