2019 Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Charting outcomes. DOs match rate of 61.3 for OB Gyn. Almost as low as surgery. It’s considered middle of the road in general competitiveness but is not very DO friendly.
It’s not a competitive specialty to MDs but for DOs it’s getting there. Kinda like GS is considered competitive for DOs but not MDs
Wow, didn't realize the percentage was that low, although I had noticed that MDs matched ob/gyn with wayyyy lower step scores than DOs.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn’t take a lot of brains to do general OBGyn well, mostly just good procedural skills.
now, now dont go bashing another specialty :p. That wasn't their point of the step score differences.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn’t take a lot of brains to do general OBGyn well, mostly just good procedural skills.

That’s right . Not enough brains.... except getting into Med school and scoring well to get interviews..... you could bash ob but it’s one of the harder residencies. I’d put it up there with gen surg and ortho . These people get dookied on figuratively and physically speaking....

now, now dont go bashing another specialty :p. That wasn't their point of the step score differences.

It’s not bashing, just pointing out the truth that it’s not as intellectually demanding as most. It’s hard work, physically, less difficult from the standpoint of spectrum of disease, treatments to familiarize yourself with, organ systems to have facility with etc.

That’s right . Not enough brains.... except getting into Med school and scoring well to get interviews..... you could bash ob but it’s one of the harder residencies. I’d put it up there with gen surg and ortho . These people get dookied on figuratively and physically speaking....

Ortho is cushy, at least where I trained. They had us admit any and all patients with anything other than pure orthopedic issues. HTN? Admit to medicine and we'll consult, DM...same. I'm sure the hours were rough, maybe even rougher than average, But it's residency, the hours are rough everywhere.

Ortho is not competitive because you have to have a broad scope of knowledge to practice it. It's competitive because it pays really well.

Gen surg on the other hand, those guys are legit. But OB and Ortho are nowhere near Gen surg in terms of breadth of knowledge and variety of clinical problems they need to be able to tackle. The GenSurg residents were more likely to offer to take over patients we consulted them on, and less likely to admit to us or even consult us for Med-management. They were comfortable running point on pretty much anyone, no matter how sick.

Lets put it this way. Imagine you're going on an extended space flight, say to mars, it’s gonna take a couple of years to get there.
You've got a ship with an OR and all the meds you'd need, come what may. You can take 2 docs. Who ya gonna choose? OB and Ortho? Or some combo of EM, FM, IM, Gensurg (I.E. generalist oriented fields).

That's not a knock on OB, or Ortho. Just an observation that the fact that MD students may not need top-shelf academics to match and succeed in OB. It's by it's nature a narrow field. Students need the scores in Ortho, but due to competition, not because you've got to have the entirety of your med-school course material committed to memory and at the ready at all times to be a competent Orthopod.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
It’s not bashing, just pointing out the truth that it’s not as intellectually demanding as most. It’s hard work, physically, less difficult from the standpoint of spectrum of disease, treatments to familiarize yourself with, organ systems to have facility with etc.
Ya I just don’t think that was her argument. She was acknowledging that MDs match easier than DOs. And we all agree it’s easier to match as USMD and it has nothing to do with knowledge.

Just on the basis of the number of uber-specialties matched into, this is far more impressive than a certain for-profit US MD school. I'll leave it to the experts as to what is a "good" residency.

I saw that in the MD match thread and was like "oof". Was going to comment, but didn't want to rain on anyone's parade. A lot of the programs on their list were pretty weak too.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw that in the MD match thread and was like "oof". Was going to comment, but didn't want to rain on anyone's parade. A lot of the programs on their list were pretty weak too.
Can you link the thread?

Ya I just don’t think that was her argument. She was acknowledging that MDs match easier than DOs. And we all agree it’s easier to match as USMD and it has nothing to do with knowledge.

Yep, I didn’t imagine that was her argument; it was just an observation/thought I had when I read the comment.

I used to moonlight as a 2nd and then 3rd year FM resident doing medicine consults in a women’s hospital; one that houses an apparently highly regarded OBGyn residency program.
There I saw, and cleaned up after, some seriously scary stuff . Fairly regularly too. I’ve got some wild stories from that gig. Thing is, they all seemed very competent in their area of expertise. Excellent OBGyn docs in every way.

So I don’t blame them for mismanaging non-gyn stuff; they just don’t deal with it, nor do they really have a lot of reason to worry about it. The vast majority of their patients are young, healthy, pregnant women. The rest they only manage the Gyn complaints on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Can confirm DMU also had the following matches:

Optho
SUNY Upstate

Urology
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Spectrum Health/Michigan State
Maimonides

Vascular Surgery
Cleveland Clinic (Main Campus)

ENT
San Antonio Uniformed Health
Dude michigan Uro? You kiddin me? Holy shnikeys people that kid is a legend

Yep, I didn’t imagine that was her argument; it was just an observation/thought I had when I read the comment.

I used to moonlight as a 2nd and then 3rd year FM resident doing medicine consults in a women’s hospital; one that houses an apparently highly regarded OBGyn residency program.
There I saw, and cleaned up after, some seriously scary stuff . Fairly regularly too. I’ve got some wild stories from that gig.

And I don’t even blame the OB’s; they just don’t deal with this stuff, nor do they really need to worry about it. The vast majority of their patients are young, healthy, pregnant women. The rest they only manage the Gyn complaints on.

Then I may have misinterpreted your first statement when I thought you were making an assumption about why they were talking about step scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
OB not very DO friendly? this is big news to me. Always thought it was DO friendly
I would still classify it as DO friendly but just getting more competitive.

Do people here still hate California Northstate?

see post 192; mind the "Northsplaining"

I submit that the students did well in spite of thier school, not because of it.

Just continues to prove the bias for picking some letters over quality candidates. Touro-CA, which has been around awhile, has probably one of the worst EM DO match lists I've seen and Cal North beats them first try.

Just continues to prove the bias for picking some letters over quality candidates. Touro-CA, which has been around awhile, has probably one of the worst EM DO match lists I've seen and Cal North beats them first try.
Not what I hear from our EM residents for them and other schools, including mine.

Full DMU Match Data 2019 - a few spots missing due to student's not wanting to share info

Attachments

• Match Data No Names.xlsx
    23.8 KB · Views: 227

I submit that the students did well in spite of thier school, not because of it.

:( My DO schools match list looked better, Specialty wise. There are some good programs and the ENT is nice but way underperformed according to the common knowledge that USMD is always better than DO

EM is one specialty. On the whole, Touro CAs match list is better

I'm noticing that there generally aren't that many people matching into Neurology and PMR across the schools. I thought those specialties were pretty DO friendly. Is it just that lower proportion of people are interested in those fields/there aren't many spots or am I missing something?

Full DMU Match Data 2019 - a few spots missing due to student's not wanting to share info

the 7 ortho matches would normally be sweet, but supposedly DMU had 15+ applying ortho this year due to the score inflation.

There are only 3 FM matches total. There are also 4 psych, 4 rad, ENT, 3 nuero, 4 surgery, 6 EM, 3 gas with many of them being in California. All from a class of <60 students with no home program who are first ever graduating class. Sorry, that list is pretty dang good considering. Especially percentage wise for specialties, its better than most DO schools, no excuses needed.

http://medicine.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/Academic/2019-Match-Results.pdf

You must interview like **** haha

If I remember correctly, you got excepted into a program with a direct linkage... A program that accepts individuals with 35th percentile MCATs.

Since you know nothing about the interview game, you might want to keep your smart aleck remarks to yourself... Focus that energy into studying because you ain’t getting no direct linkage into your hopeful gen surg residency.

Reactions: 7 users
So, the are saying on post (see here: DO friendly IR residencies) that a DO matched IR at U. Michigan and its confirmed.

Question is, why so many DOs matching IR this year? Pretty crazy we are getting close to 10 I wanna say and full lists / schools havent been reported

Reactions: 3 users
Gunna predict a record amount of DOs entering EM and Gas. Seemed like 1/3 of some schools lists were just those lol

Reactions: 4 users
If I remember correctly, you got excepted into a program with a direct linkage... A program that accepts individuals with 35th percentile MCATs.

Since you know nothing about the interview game, you might want to keep your smart aleck remarks to yourself... Focus that energy into studying because you ain’t getting no direct linkage into your hopeful gen surg residency.
Lol damn wasn't that serious...

Most programs (MD or DO) were in Acgme match

You referring to former AOA programs converted to ACGME? Aren't there still DO schools with ACGME match rates in the 60s-70% - indicative of relying more heavily on AOA matches?

Isn't Olive View UCLA a pretty hard IM program to get?

The UCSD match is a lot more impressive. Most MDs with below avg stats will interview and be able to get into Olive View, but UCSD is hard to get in even with 240+ or 250+, among many people I know who had ranked it high.

You referring to former AOA programs converted to ACGME? Aren't there still DO schools with ACGME match rates in the 60s-70% - indicative of relying more heavily on AOA matches?

Yes, and there wasn't much left in the AOA match.

There are only 3 FM matches total. There are also 4 psych, 4 rad, ENT, 3 nuero, 4 surgery, 6 EM, 3 gas with many of them being in California. All from a class of <60 students with no home program who are first ever graduating class. Sorry, that list is pretty dang good considering. Especially percentage wise for specialties, its better than most DO schools, no excuses needed.

http://medicine.cnsu.edu/shareddocs/Academic/2019-Match-Results.pdf

Not for a USMD where matches are always better. Yes it unlocked California but being in CA doesn’t make them better programs. For USMD all of those specialties except ENT are opened to average students. You can’t say the same about DO

Holy crap that Michigan match for Uro is probably the best match I have ever seen for DO

Dude michigan Uro? You kiddin me? Holy shnikeys people that kid is a legend

Was talking to a friend who is a Peds resident at Michigan. They told me that they don't have any DO's in their program. Plus no DO's in their IM residency or ANY surgical residency that they know of.....crazy

Was talking to a friend who is a Peds resident at Michigan. They told me that they don't have any DO's in their program. Plus no DO's in their IM residency or ANY surgical residency that they know of.....crazy

Also matched someone IR this year

Im literally floored at this Michigan match. I havent seen a better DO match ever since Penn (HUP) Plastics couple years back

Last edited:
I'm noticing that there generally aren't that many people matching into Neurology and PMR across the schools. I thought those specialties were pretty DO friendly. Is it just that lower proportion of people are interested in those fields/there aren't many spots or am I missing something?
Also curious about this. Anyone have insight on the lack neuro matches?

Why on the DO forum we always waste our time arguing what's top notch and what's not top notch? I mean who cares? The important thing is the person matched, and s/he did because s/he applied to some programs, got several interviews, liked some of them, ranked them based on fit, and the program chose them based on fit. There shouldn't be any more argument on that. Whatever program it is it's top notch for whoever is going to be a resident there. End of discussion.

Reactions: 13 users
Why on the DO forum we always waste our time arguing what's top notch and what's not top notch? I mean who cares? The important thing is the person matched, and s/he did because s/he applied to some programs, got several interviews, liked some of them, ranked them based on fit, and the program chose them based on fit. There shouldn't be any more argument on that. Whatever program it is it's top notch for whoever is going to be a resident there. End of discussion.
Agree but I def love amping up the kickass matches though which weve had a decent amount of this year so far

Have you done a neuro rotation? That’s why. Great specialty but certainly a personality

Man I hope DO schools release their match lists soon! I am excited to find out how my school did this year. Does anyone know when they usually release this kind of information?

For neuro, it seems to be an interest thing across the nation when I was looking at the numbers last year. With that, a few matches per school is inline with the average it seems.

Neurology and PM&R are both DO-friendly, but in different ways.

Neurology is DO-friendly in the sense that it's relatively easy to match into if you're a DO with mediocre stats (>90% DO match rate, average Step 1 in 220s). However, a handful of top neurology programs refuse to take any DO residents, so it's not really DO-friendly in that sense.

PM&R programs are DO-friendly in the sense that virtually all of them (including top programs) are willing to take at least a couple of DO residents. However, the PM&R match rate for DOs is low (<70%). The DOs who apply to PM&R with mediocre stats (<500 COMLEX, <220 Step 1) are in serious danger of ending up unmatched.

Neurology is one of those specialties that only attracts the ones who truly adore the CNS and/or can’t imagine doing anything else in medicine. Its intellectually challenging, not very lifestyle friendly, brutal residency workload/hrs, and the pay isn’t that great (on par with nonprocedural IM specialties- rheum, Allergy, Endo). On top of all that, unfortunately Neuro is not a core rotation at most DO schools (something that is truly disturbing tbh). For these reasons and more, it’s not hard to see why neurology is not a sought after specialty among med students, specially DO students.

Reactions: 11 users
My school had a few I think but this is anecdotal info as of now. I know for a fact we had Derm, NS and IR though which is awesome and I want to know where. NS and Derm anywhere is still great regardless so thats good. I will post as soon as I find out