2019 Non-Trad Applicants Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the website says they will consider you for an II without the LOA being complete but wont' consider your application for acceptance withouth it, but i am not sure if that is true if they want that LOA before even sending out a II

Yeah I’d just ask your counselor about it. She might have some suggestions and can probably tell you if what they say on the site is true. It didn’t seem like a big deal when I was getting mine in, so that is probably true. Not sure how things work in the AF. Mine literally is two paragraphs of like two sentences each. It just says I’m approved to apply to USUHS and who the POCs are. Then it’s signed by my company commander.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I’d just ask your counselor about it. She might have some suggestions and can probably tell you if what they say on the site is true. It didn’t seem like a big deal when I was getting mine in, so that is probably true. Not sure how things work in the AF. Mine literally is two paragraphs of like two sentences each. It just says I’m approved to apply to USUHS and who the POCs are. Then it’s signed by my company commander.

its up at AFPC where it needs to be. AFPC is the one that makes the final decision on that kind of stuff in the Air Force so I should have my LOA in the next few weeks, so I am not too concerned. just having an II invite sooner than later is always preferred. who knows maybe we will be classmates next year.

Reactions: 1 user
its up at AFPC where it needs to be. AFPC is the one that makes the final decision on that kind of stuff in the Air Force so I should have my LOA in the next few weeks, so I am not too concerned. just having an II invite sooner than later is always preferred. who knows maybe we will be classmates next year.

Could be! Usuhs is my top choice, so if I get in that’s where I’m going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Came out of August with 2 IIs-- I'm over the moon! I've been remediating significant GPA damage from undergrad last decade, and I didn't even think I had any business applying to the places I've heard from. It's super exciting seeing hard work starting to pay off. Keep up the great work, everyone-- this thread and countless others like it have been a major source of inspiration!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm taking your (plural) advice and staying calm about IIs. I have a question I'm hoping the collective group can answer for timing of applications, should my situation not improve; I'm trying to plan ahead a little.

Based on my MCAT and GPA (521, 3.61c, 3.73s), I applied less broadly than I originally planned before I took the MCAT- I didn't do any of the DO schools, and filled out secondaries to 10 MD schools. There are 7 MD and 3 DO that I did primary for, but not secondary. Lets say I don't hear anything back by the middle of October from any other schools. Would it be too late to fill out more secondaries?

I'm taking your (plural) advice and staying calm about IIs. I have a question I'm hoping the collective group can answer for timing of applications, should my situation not improve; I'm trying to plan ahead a little.

Based on my MCAT and GPA (521, 3.61c, 3.73s), I applied less broadly than I originally planned before I took the MCAT- I didn't do any of the DO schools, and filled out secondaries to 10 MD schools. There are 7 MD and 3 DO that I did primary for, but not secondary. Lets say I don't hear anything back by the middle of October from any other schools. Would it be too late to fill out more secondaries?

As long as you complete the secondaries before the deadline they will be considered valid. However, a lot of schools have November 1 deadlines, so do you mean fill out secondaries that you have already received or apply to more schools? You probably won’t have time for the later. DO schools do have later deadlines so it might not be too late for those.

I’m also super neurotic and worried about IIs but I try remember the advice that before Thanksgiving break is generally the window for IIs and to not worry until after that. The admissions committee can only read so fast.

October is late for MD schools but you’d be fine for DO schools. If you applied well you shouldn’t have a problem getting some IIs though.

got my first R of the cycle today. i figured as a re-inventor applicant i would get plenty. but at least my know my applications are being reviewed

October is late for MD schools but you’d be fine for DO schools. If you applied well you shouldn’t have a problem getting some IIs though.
So what do you think is the limit for putting in the other MD schools' secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured I'd join in the chat... Non-traditional and re-applicant patiently waiting for some interviews!... sent out 5 DO secondaries and 19 or 20 MD secondaries I believe I was complete everywhere around 8/2 ... schools were just waiting on my committee packet. Anyways this group seems like a fun bunch, good luck everyone!

I got one more II!!!! now i have two :))). I know that there are people with 15 II out there, and they are the ones who should be proud with my two IIs, but I am so happy :))). EVMS and ETSU

Reactions: 7 users
I guess I forgot to post in this thread that I got an acceptance already. So yeah, chalk one up for the non-trads this cycle :D I've still got a flurry of interviews ahead so no time to relax just yet. Also, as I noted earlier in this thread, I continue to see lots of other non-trads as applicants and current med students while on the interview trail.

Reactions: 8 users
I guess I forgot to post in this thread that I got an acceptance already. So yeah, chalk one up for the non-trads this cycle :D I've still got a flurry of interviews ahead so no time to relax just yet. Also, as I noted earlier in this thread, I continue to see lots of other non-trads as applicants and current med students while on the interview trail.
Congrats !!!! Which school , if you don’t mind me asking ?

Congrats !!!! Which school , if you don’t mind me asking ?

ARCOM (Arkansas). They have a beautiful school and a great faculty team in place, so I was excited to get an early acceptance at a school I would be really happy attending. It also takes a lot of the pressure off, knowing that I've crossed the finish line and gained an acceptance and am no longer chasing a pipe dream :D

Reactions: 6 users
Sounds like you're crushing it already - great job! Score one for nontrads and veterans.

Reactions: 3 users
ARCOM (Arkansas). They have a beautiful school and a great faculty team in place, so I was excited to get an early acceptance at a school I would be really happy attending. It also takes a lot of the pressure off, knowing that I've crossed the finish line and gained an acceptance and am no longer chasing a pipe dream :D
That’s so awesome!!! I have an interview coming up in a school that is one of my top choices , and I can’t wait . If I get accepted (fingers crossed ) that would definitely change things . Takes pressure off , like you said

Reactions: 1 users
I got one more II!!!! now i have two :))). I know that there are people with 15 II out there, and they are the ones who should be proud with my two IIs, but I am so happy :))). EVMS and ETSU

When is your etsu interview? Mine is on Columbus Day lol.

Put another mark on the board for the non-trads today with an acceptance at UIW in San Antonio. I really liked this school as well and we have family 20 mins from the school so the location is great. Also, from a sheer cosmic resonance point of view, I began my medical career over 20 years ago in San Antonio when I stepped off the bus at Fort Sam. The hard part is going to be when December rolls around and I have to actually pick a school :D

Reactions: 5 users
Put another mark on the board for the non-trads today with an acceptance at UIW in San Antonio. I really liked this school as well and we have family 20 mins from the school so the location is great. Also, from a sheer cosmic resonance point of view, I began my medical career over 20 years ago in San Antonio when I stepped off the bus at Fort Sam. The hard part is going to be when December rolls around and I have to actually pick a school :D
Congrats !!!! This is great !!!

Reactions: 1 users
Many Congratulations to all of the non-trads this cycle! I am so proud of you all! I just sent in all my secondaries in early to mid Sept, and still waiting for any new development. In fact I did not receive 1 secondary invite from one of my favorite CA schools. I am a little lost, to be honest, as I really like that school (and if we just look at the stats, I am in the right range for that school). But I totally understand that, given their missions, the types of students they are looking for, and my backgrounds, I won't take it personal if they don't see a good match. But, alas, it would be very nice to have further conversations with them. At least from what I see on the internet (websites, videos their students made....) I like their laid back and supportive culture. I am currently working full time + 1 part time job, I only have a few weeks to have a break and get away from the application process and concentrate on my approaching deadlines..... Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
A little bit about myself:

Asian, non-trad, green card, married, no kids, non-science background(business undergrad and business grad school). Upwards GPA trend: 3.29(undergrad)-->3.69(grad)-->4.0(science prereq)
Consulting background(2+years), no research, some shadowing(30ish hours) and 1+year of hospital volunteering(200+ hours in different clinics) and 4+ years of other volunteering (teaching, tutoring and other stuff). Graduated from undergrad in 2012. Went back to school in Janurary 2017, and got first offer in September 2018. Been a full time student and part time tutor since 2017.

Let me know if my experience could be of any help for you. And good luck to all non-trads applying this cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
I hear you ... I had pretty much the same situation (32 secondaries), and I completed them very early , so waiting has been feeling like FOREVER. What IIs did you get ?

I completed my apps literally a week ago. So far for II: CUSM-SOM and Mayo Clinic- Az

Had my first interview yesterday. When I got back on the train to go home, it finally hit me that I’m actually going through an app cycle for real and that I actually have a chance at getting into med school lol.
Hahahahaha ..... I know , right? Where was your interview ? I have two interviews back to back : 9th and 10th of October

I meant close in physical proximity. I guess that’s not too bad. Hopefully you can decompress and get sleep on the 9th.

I do etsu on the 8th. :)
Nice . Well , I will drive 7 hours to ETSU on Monday , interview there on Tuesday , then drive out to Norfolk same evening (6 hours), arrive around 11 pm I guess , interview there on Wednesday , and drive 3 hours home to DC right after ..... all I am saying is that I am definitely stocking up on Red Bull

Nice . Well , I will drive 7 hours to ETSU on Monday , interview there on Tuesday , then drive out to Norfolk same evening (6 hours), arrive around 11 pm I guess , interview there on Wednesday , and drive 3 hours home to DC right after ..... all I am saying is that I am definitely stocking up on Red Bull

Yikes. Good luck to you. Are you doing it alone?

Has anyone else noticed that what they "thought" they wanted out of a med school and what they ended up wanting from a med school has changed over the application cycle? My initial impression was that I wanted to get out of preclinical as soon as possible and get to clinical rotations, or that I wanted to not need to move if at all possible, or that I wanted to be near family, etc. What I've realized is that the most important thing to me is the environment of the school. I have had many great experiences interviewing this cycle, but some students were definitely less stressed out than others. At some of the schools, the students actually seemed happy and at one school, in particular, the students had the same excitement I remember having when I first started this process.

Thus, I am hoping some anesthesiologist would be humane enough to put me into a medically induced coma until match day so that I don't have to worry about matching to that school for the next 3 months :D

Has anyone else noticed that what they "thought" they wanted out of a med school and what they ended up wanting from a med school has changed over the application cycle? My initial impression was that I wanted to get out of preclinical as soon as possible and get to clinical rotations, or that I wanted to not need to move if at all possible, or that I wanted to be near family, etc. What I've realized is that the most important thing to me is the environment of the school. I have had many great experiences interviewing this cycle, but some students were definitely less stressed out than others. At some of the schools, the students actually seemed happy and at one school, in particular, the students had the same excitement I remember having when I first started this process.

Thus, I am hoping some anesthesiologist would be humane enough to put me into a medically induced coma until match day so that I don't have to worry about matching to that school for the next 3 months :D

Not for me. Collaborative atmosphere and early clinical exposure with hands on learning in the clinical years has always been the most important to me, and that hasn’t changed now that I’m on interviews.

Not for me. Collaborative atmosphere and early clinical exposure with hands on learning in the clinical years has always been the most important to me, and that hasn’t changed now that I’m on interviews.

Well, what I've found is that early clinical exposure is available at all schools if you want it. For example, at UTMB, you can work at St. Vincents as soon as you want, you just do it on your own time. The upside to that is that instead of having your two years of preclinical curriculum shovelled into 18 months (thus making an already tedious workload worse), you still take two years and you get your clinical experience when and how often you want it.

I know the party line is "oh, we've cut out the filler, that's how we are getting you out in 1.5 years," but I've talked to numerous students at those schools who have said that is total BS. N = whatever, but they didn't seem very happy. I actually think I like the idea of getting my clinical experience in student-run clinics over extra rotations, primarily because I feel the preceptors at the student clinics are genuinely enthusiastic about having med students there. Again, n= whatever multitude of students I've talked with, but that is not always the case with scheduled rotations (and one need only look at the med student forums to confirm this).

Well, what I've found is that early clinical exposure is available at all schools if you want it. For example, at UTMB, you can work at St. Vincents as soon as you want, you just do it on your own time. The upside to that is that instead of having your two years of preclinical curriculum shovelled into 18 months (thus making an already tedious workload worse), you still take two years and you get your clinical experience when and how often you want it.

Yeah, I don't really mean shadowing. I mean experience actually doing stuff. And the 18 month "shortened" curriculum isn't really shortened. Most schools just take out the summer break, so you're not really making the workload any worse.

I know the party line is "oh, we've cut out the filler, that's how we are getting you out in 1.5 years," but I've talked to numerous students at those schools who have said that is total BS. N = whatever, but they didn't seem very happy. I actually think I like the idea of getting my clinical experience in student-run clinics over extra rotations, primarily because I feel the preceptors at the student clinics are genuinely enthusiastic about having med students there. Again, n= whatever multitude of students I've talked with, but that is not always the case with scheduled rotations (and one need only look at the med student forums to confirm this).

I've had almost the complete opposite experience. Almost everyone I have talked to at a 1.5 year preclinical school is super happy they get to rotations quicker since the general consensus is that the first two years of med school are worse than the clinical years. The only gripe seems to be that they don't get a vacation between M1 and M2, but that it isn't that big of a deal.

And the example of student-run clinics are what I was talking about wrt clinical experience right away.

Yeah, I don't really mean shadowing. .

Yeah, that's not what I mean either. I'm talking about basically the same level (or better) of the actual provision of care that you would get during clinical rotations. Many of the schools I've visited thus far have this available, so you can basically start providing care on some level from your first week of school.

Yeah, that's not what I mean either. I'm talking about basically the same level (or better) of the actual provision of care that you would get during clinical rotations. Many of the schools I've visited thus far have this available, so you can basically start providing care on some level from your first week of school.

Yeah that was one of the thing I’ve been looking for in schools.