2023-2024 Nevada - Reno

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Nevada - Reno Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Please share why you want to pursue your medical education at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine; describe any connections to Northern Nevada communities; and how you are prepared to contribute to UNR Med’s vision of a Healthy Nevada. (300 words)
  2. Describe a time when you were part of a team that was struggling to meet objectives. How did you react? What would you do differently? What did you take away from this experience that will influence your approach to working on a team in the future? (300 words)
  3. Reflect on and describe an experience where you provided care or service to individuals from populations that commonly experience health care disparities. Discuss what you learned about the socio-cultural or economic factors that affect underserved populations and describe how your interactions with these individuals motivated or prepared you for a future in medicine. (300 words)
  4. Describe a time when you faced a significant life crisis or an academic, personal, or professional failure. How did you respond, what did you learn, and how did the experience influence your future actions? (300 words)
  5. Please share an example of how you have used critical thinking and communication skills to develop a creative or innovative solution to a challenging problem. (300 words)
  6. (Optional) You are invited to provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed in your application that you would like considered during the review of your application. If you are a re-applicant to UNR Med, we encourage you to outline any significant changes or new experiences from your previous application. (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Nevada Reno School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
oos secondary received. the submission portal shows that casper + duet is required, but there is nowhere to select to send casper to UNR through acuity insights system. has anyone else had this issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. Please share why you want to pursue your medical education at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine; describe any connections to Northern Nevada communities; and how you are prepared to contribute to UNR Med’s vision of a Healthy Nevada. (300 words)
  2. Describe a time when you were part of a team that was struggling to meet objectives. How did you react? What would you do differently? What did you take away from this experience that will influence your approach to working on a team in the future? (300 words)
  3. Reflect on and describe an experience where you provided care or service to individuals from populations that commonly experience health care disparities. Discuss what you learned about the socio-cultural or economic factors that affect underserved populations and describe how your interactions with these individuals motivated or prepared you for a future in medicine. (300 words)
  4. Describe a time when you faced a significant life crisis or an academic, personal, or professional failure. How did you respond, what did you learn, and how did the experience influence your future actions? (300 words)
  5. Please share an example of how you have used critical thinking and communication skills to develop a creative or innovative solution to a challenging problem. (300 words)
  6. (Optional) You are invited to provide a brief statement regarding anything not previously addressed or disclosed in your application that you would like considered during the review of your application. If you are a re-applicant to UNR Med, we encourage you to outline any significant changes or new experiences from your previous application. (500 words)
@wysdoc

@wysdoc
Thanks for sharing the questions, @danimal09

oos secondary received. the submission portal shows that casper + duet is required, but there is nowhere to select to send casper to UNR through acuity insights system. has anyone else had this issue?
I don't see it on the list this year for either Acuity Insights or PREview.

They probably didn't edit/update their portal from last year.

Does anyone else's app show that UNR hasn't received a Duet Score for you? I took Duet right after finishing Casper, and UNR says it has my Casper but has a red x next to Duet

Does anyone else's app show that UNR hasn't received a Duet Score for you? I took Duet right after finishing Casper, and UNR says it has my Casper but has a red x next to Duet

I have the same issue. I reached out to UNR and they are aware of the problem and working to resolve it.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take for ya'll to get secondaries? I was processed by AMCAS on 7/18, I've checked junk folders, but still haven't received in. I'm in-state resident.
I was processed a bit earlier and still havent gotten my secondary. I emailed them and apparently they are sent out every tuesday

Hello all!

I wanted to introduce myself as your SDN Admissions Representative for this year's application cycle. I am a current MS3 here at UNR Med. You can free to ask my anything about the admissions process, what medical school is like here at UNR, or anything in between! Also, feel free to shoot me a PM if wanted!

I am excited for you all and wish you all the best of luck, please don't hesitate to reach out!

-UNR Admissions Student Rep

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to send everyone an update on secondaries since I've been getting lots of questions on when to expect them/the process.

We send out secondary apps out in batches of about 100 every Tuesday based on when applicants submitted their AMCAS application/got verified. So if their AMCAS was verified a long time ago, there’s a good chance they’ll receive their secondary in the next week or so. We wanted to make sure we are as transparent with our admissions process as much as possible. I hope this helps!

Please continue to DM with any other questions you have, I am happy to help!

-UNR Admissions Rep

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to send everyone an update on secondaries since I've been getting lots of questions on when to expect them/the process.

We send out secondary apps out in batches of about 100 every Tuesday based on when applicants submitted their AMCAS application/got verified. So if their AMCAS was verified a long time ago, there’s a good chance they’ll receive their secondary in the next week or so. We wanted to make sure we are as transparent with our admissions process as much as possible. I hope this helps!

Please continue to DM with any other questions you have, I am happy to help!

-UNR Admissions Rep
Hi, applications are only sent out on Tuesdays? sorry if this is a dumb question just curious

Hello all!

I wanted to introduce myself as your SDN Admissions Representative for this year's application cycle. I am a current MS3 here at UNR Med. You can free to ask my anything about the admissions process, what medical school is like here at UNR, or anything in between! Also, feel free to shoot me a PM if wanted!

I am excited for you all and wish you all the best of luck, please don't hesitate to reach out!

-UNR Admissions Student Rep
Hi! I just had a question on interviews. I am an early decision applicant and I just finished my mmi interview and I was wondering when I can expect the part 2 of the interview.

Hi! I just had a question on interviews. I am an early decision applicant and I just finished my mmi interview and I was wondering when I can expect the part 2 of the interview.
Hi there!

Great question. We plan to send out the I-live interviews the first week of September. Hope that helps!

-UNR Admissions Rep

Has anyone heard back regarding the I-live interviews yet?
I reached out to them and they said that interviews will be held Monday through Saturday anytime from 8 am - 8 pm from September - December. For early decision they did it last week and are doing it this week sept 4-9. I got my email yesterday for ED

Are In State interviews still going out? Would it be wise to send a follow up email?

Are In State interviews still going out? Would it be wise to send a follow up email?
Hi there,

In-state interviews are still going out! Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you have on here or DM!

-UNR Admissions Rep

Last edited:
Hi there,

In-state interviews are still going out! We continue to work on a rolling admissions basis! Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you have on here or DM!

-UNR Admissions Rep
Do you have an idea of when OOS II will be sent out? Thanks!

Update on the ED Results! We are anticipating to have these sent out TOMORROW! Keep an eye out for this on your emails!

-UNR Admissions Rep

Hello all!

I have an update for you all regarding interviews:

The I-Live interviews will take place weekly through the month of September – December. The interviews will be held Monday – Saturday, and will be 30 mins in total. The interviews will run anytime between 8:00am – 8:00pm PST.

We will send you an email prior to the start of your interview with a link to register for the available dates and times that are open for the given week. I appreciate your patience with the interview process and please keep an eye on your email for the invite.

-UNR Admissions Rep

I applied early admissions and got a “deferral” into the regular pool of applicants

I received an OOS update:

“On behalf of your UNR Med Admissions team, I thank you for your interest in and application to the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine. 

As an out of state applicant to UNR Med, we want to update you on where your application currently is in our process. As of now, your application is being screened by a committee who will be choosing the applicants to move forward to the interview stage. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive an email invatation in mid-November.”

But it also says:

“You will receive an invitation to complete a two-part, online interview upon completion of the secondary application and verification that you meet all application requirements. Your invitation will include instructions.

• Part 1 is a virtual Multi-Mini Interviews (MMI). We anticipate that all applicants will receive invitations November 1. Upon receipt of the email notification, please review the instructions. You will have one week to login and complete your MMI 
  • Part 2 is a traditional interview that will be conducted via Zoom with a UNR affiliated physician. These “live” interviews will be scheduled in November and December. Upon receipt of your Part 2 interview invitation, you will be directed to a website where you will select your interview time.”
So we have to interview for an interview? I guess good practice.

“On behalf of your UNR Med Admissions team, I thank you for your interest in and application to the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine. 

As an out of state applicant to UNR Med, we want to update you on where your application currently is in our process. As of now, your application is being screened by a committee who will be choosing the applicants to move forward to the interview stage. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive an email invatation in mid-November.”

But it also says:

“You will receive an invitation to complete a two-part, online interview upon completion of the secondary application and verification that you meet all application requirements. Your invitation will include instructions.

• Part 1 is a virtual Multi-Mini Interviews (MMI). We anticipate that all applicants will receive invitations November 1. Upon receipt of the email notification, please review the instructions. You will have one week to login and complete your MMI 
  • Part 2 is a traditional interview that will be conducted via Zoom with a UNR affiliated physician. These “live” interviews will be scheduled in November and December. Upon receipt of your Part 2 interview invitation, you will be directed to a website where you will select your interview time.”
+1

But it also says:

+1

@UNR Admissions Rep Can you explain a little about the interviews for OOS applicants and the email in the above. “We anticipate all applicants will receive invitations…” on November 1st? We can’t all be getting interview invites, right?

IS II Part 2 received (Part 1 of Interview completed 08/21)

• Love
Anybody OOS receive anything today? The previous OOS update email said that they anticipate "all applicants" will receive a part 1 invitation today. But they also say that OOS will receive an interview (if chose) in mid November.

Anybody OOS receive anything today? The previous OOS update email said that they anticipate "all applicants" will receive a part 1 invitation today. But they also say that OOS will receive an interview (if chose) in mid November.
Nothing yet

This is an appeal to applicants who have taken Casper for admission to University of Nevada Reno SOM.

Complete the 2023 Situational Judgment Test Experience survey.

HPSA/SDN has the 2023 SJT Experience Survey available to anyone preparing for SJTs (especially Casper and PREview). If you completed the 2022 survey, you are welcome to go ahead and complete the survey again. This survey consists of multiple pages and will take up to 10 minutes. You can also place yourself on a waitlist for a study focusing more on school-run SJTs run through platforms like Kira Talent, to be released later in the year.

Your feedback matters!
We learned a lot about how applicants prepared for Casper and PREview last year, but the number of PREview schools has almost doubled this cycle! Over 20% of all AMCAS applicants will likely have taken PREview, and up to 90% of all medical school applicants will likely have taken Casper this cycle (according to Acuity Insights). This does not include applicants in non-medical professions who have had to take these assessments for admission to physician assistant, anesthesiology assistant, dental, veterinary, pharmacy, or physical therapy programs, where we see a trend that applicants with higher Casper results are preferred. Medical residency applicants are also being asked to complete Acuity Insights Assessments, and very little is known about how program directors use these data. Your responses are vital to get objective insights on how admissions committees value the results of these exams.

Your feedback matters!
We want to hear from as many people as possible, especially those attending or applying outside of medicine (MD/DO). This year saw an expansion of SJTs in admissions, and more information has been made available on preparing for these assessments. We want to stay current with these trends to guide future applicants and students facing these SJTs.

Many of our findings from the 2022 survey align with the NAAHP Testing Task Force report released last summer. This includes concerns about proctoring, consistency of scoring, and concern that applicants are paying for validity research. But we need more student voices to gain a louder voice to advocate for future health professional school applicants.

Your feedback has helped HPSA develop a workshop focused on preparing for SJTs like Casper and PREview. This workshop is part of our Becoming a Student Doctor preparation course, and we have already had some positive results among those who have participated in our mock interview workshops. An updated workshop will be presented at the UC Davis Prehealth Conference on October 14, and we welcome opportunities to present the full-length SJT workshop to your campus!

Fill out this survey and help future applicants become physicians in their chosen profession!