You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2020-2021 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread
Started by camedstudent23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For Neuro/PMR Applicants, would this theoretically reduce the number of "other" spots that programs have. For example, program A has 5 seats and rank them Anes/pmr/neuro/psych in whatever way they like. Program B has 4 spots, 3 for Anes, 1 for other.. I wonder if this would affect these specific applicants.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
- Albany Medical Center (1/9) - 5/8, 5/15, 6/26
- UCLA David Geffen SOM (1/10) - 3/13, 3/25, 4/10
- Allegheny (1/28) - 4/9, 4/16, 4/23, 4/30, 5/7, 5/14
- University of Kentucky (1/28) - 4/21, 4/28, 5/5, 5/12
- Emory University (2/3, 4/6) - 3/22, 5/17, 5/30, 6/14, 6/27
- UNM (2/5) - 3/27, 4/24, 5/8
- Dartmouth (2/11, 3/4) - 5/1, 5/8, 5/15, 6/1
- UMMS-Baystate (2/13) - 6/18, 6/25, 7/16, 8/6, 8/13
- University of Buffalo (2/13) - 3/27
- University of Kansas (2/18) - 5/4
- Cook County (2/21) - 3/4, 4/8
- University of Maryland (2/21) - 5/4, 5/11, 5/18, 6/1
- University of Wisconsin (2/28) - 5/6, 5/13
- University of Louisville (3/2) - 5/15, 6/12
- UNC (3/4) - 6/8, 6/9
- University of Nebraska (3/5) - 5/4, 5/18
- University of Michigan (3/9) - 4/18
- OHSU (3/10) - 4/3, 4/10, 4/17, 4/24, 5/1, 5/8, 5/9, 6/5, 6/26, 7/10, 7/17, 7/24, 8/21
- Rush (3/10, 3/26) - 5/2, 5/7, 5/28, 6/11
- Medical College of Georgia (3/12) - 4/27, 5/4, 6/1
- MD Anderson/UT Houston (3/13) - 5/30, 6/6
- Virginia Mason (3/16) - 5/11, 5/18, 6/8
- Wake Forest (3/22) - 4/4, 4/25
- Northwestern (3/23, 4/7, 4/28) - 3/27, 4/3, 4/24 [all via phone]
- Vanderbilt (3/24) - 5/15, 6/12, 6/19
- Mount Sinai (3/27) - 7/31, 8/14, 8/28
- UCSF (3/30) - 6/8, 6/15, 6/22
- UC Davis (4/4) - 5/11, 5/18, 6/1, 6/2
- Stanford (4/6) - 5/1, 5/8, 6/5
- UAB (4/8) - 5/26, 6/8
- Mayo Clinic, Arizona (4/8) - 8/19, 8/21
- UC Irvine (4/8) - 6/1, 6/5
- MGH (4/8) - 6/8, 7/13, 7/24
- UPMC (4/9) - 5/15, 5/29, 7/17
- University of Washington (4/9, 4/24) - 6/26, 7/10, 8/21
- MCW (4/10) - 5/8, 5,14, 5/18, 6/5, 6/12, 6/25 (all virtual)
- Duke (4/10) - 7/25, 8/1, 8/15
- NYP/Columbia (4/13) - 6/16, 6/22, 7/11 x2, 7/17, 8/3, 8/8 x2
- Utah (4/14) - 6/12, 6/26 (virtual meet & greets in April)
- Cedars Sinai (4/15) - 4/17, 4/22, 4/24, 5/1, 5/6
- Iowa (4/15, 5/4) - 4/24, 4/27, 5/1, 5/4, 5/8, 5/11, 5/14, 5/18
- Oklahoma (4/15) - 5/29, 6/5
- University of Minnesota (4/16, 4/23) - 6/4, 6/5, 6/18, 6/19
- University of Arizona (4/16) - 5/22, 6/5, 6/19
- University of Arkansas (4/16, 4/22) - 6/12, 7/10
- Wash U (4/17, 4/22) - 5/4, 5/8, 5/18, 5/22
- UCSD (4/19, 4/23) - 6/5, 7/13, 7/16, 7/18
- Mt. Sinai - St. Lukes (4/20) - 8/13
- University of Chicago (4/20, 4/29) - 5/1, 5/22, 5/29
- Cleveland Clinic (4/20) -
- Penn State (4/21) - 5/18, 5/29, 6/1 (all virtual)
- UT San Antonio (4/23) - filled outside match
- University of Florida (4/23) - 5/1, 5/12
- UT Southwestern (4/23) - 6/5, 6/12, 6/19
- University of Toledo (4/27) - 5/22, 5/29, 6/5, 6/12
- Case Western (MetroHealth) (4/28) - 6/1, 6/8, 6/15, 6/22
- University of Rochester (4/29) - 5/21, 6/4, 6/10, 6/18, 7/16
- VCU (4/29) - 5/8, 5/15, 6/19
- West LA VA (4/30) - 5/12
- Loma Linda (4/30) - 8/10, 8/14
- UVA (5/1) - 5/20, 5/29, 6/3a, 6/3p, 6/10, 6/24a, 6/24p
- Cincinnati Children's (5/1) - 5/15
- University of Vermont (5/4) - 6/22, 6/26, 7/10
- Ohio State University (5/6) - 6/1, 6/8
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester (5/6) - 6/15, 6/16
- SUNY Upstate (5/7) -
- University of Colorado (5/8) - 6/5
- Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville (5/11) – 6/5, 6/8
- Zucker School of Medicine Hofstra/Northwell (5/11) - 5/15, 5/22
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program (5/12) - 5/14,15,19,21,26,28,29, 6/4 and 6/11
- Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University Program (5/12) - ?
- Beth Israel (5/15) - 7/13, 7/20, 7/27
- UPenn (5/19) -7/7, 7/15, 7/22, 7/31
- BWH (5/21): 6/4, 6/11, 6/18, 6/25
- Texas Tech (5/22): 6/5, 6/12, 6/19, 6/26
- NYU (5/26): 6/2, 6/4, 6/9, 6/11, 6/16, 6/18, 6/23, 6/25, 6/30, 7/7, 7/9, 7/14, 7/16, 7/21, 7/23, 7/28, 7/30
- University of Michigan (5/28, 5/29): 6/20, 6/27, 7/25
- USC (Southern Cali) (6/1/20): 6/15, 6/22, 6/29
- LSU (6/2): 6/17, 6/24, 7/1, 7/22
- Case Western (6/7): 6/10, 6/11, 6/13, 6/16/, 6/18, 6/20
- Johns Hopkins (5/29): 7/9, 7/16, 7/18, 7/23
- Baylor, Scott & White (6/9): 6/27
- Jackson Memorial/ University of Miami (6/9): 7/6, 7/7
- Cornell (6/27): 7/17, 8/4, 8/14, 8/21, 9/4, 9/11
- Eastern Virginia (6/30)
- Nebraska 3/17
- University of Kentucky 3/26
- OHSU 4/3
- Stanford 4/3
- UCSF 4/9
- Duke 4/10
- UT Southwestern 4/13
- Cleveland Clinic 5/5
- MD Anderson 5/5
- Ohio State 5/6
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester 5/12
- UVA 5/14
- UPenn 5/14
As far as "telling your program they are your #1", I firmly believe this won't do anything. Maybe it helped for anesthesia residency when they interviewed 300 people to tell who actually wants to come, but I think when it's 30 interviewees they aren't going to rank you higher for this.
My question was if anybody was actually mailing/emailing thank you's after interviews? I find it weird to do so, especially when there is, say, 1 panel interview with 6 interviewers. But my SO in business said for her job interviews they always mail thank yous.
My question was if anybody was actually mailing/emailing thank you's after interviews? I find it weird to do so, especially when there is, say, 1 panel interview with 6 interviewers. But my SO in business said for her job interviews they always mail thank yous.
As far as "telling your program they are your #1", I firmly believe this won't do anything. Maybe it helped for anesthesia residency when they interviewed 300 people to tell who actually wants to come, but I think when it's 30 interviewees they aren't going to rank you higher for this.
My question was if anybody was actually mailing/emailing thank you's after interviews? I find it weird to do so, especially when there is, say, 1 panel interview with 6 interviewers. But my SO in business said for her job interviews they always mail thank yous.
I do it because i don’t see any downside and only a (small) potential upside.
Has anyone heard from GWU?
Per previous posts, people seemed to agree it’s not necessary. Just log into NRMP, provide your AAMC#, and pay the fee. Then you should be fine.can anybody let me know How to enter your NRMP number now in your ERAS application?
ThanksPer previous posts, people seemed to agree it’s not necessary. Just log into NRMP, provide your AAMC#, and pay the fee. Then you should be fine.
Any update on pending CCF interview ?
I believe they're done interviewing.
anesthesiamd66
New Member
anyone hear from montefiore?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
westcoastresdoc
New Member
Anyone have insight on Northwestern's status in the match? Looks like they are "withdrawn" on NRMP
Anyone have insight on Northwestern's status in the match? Looks like they are "withdrawn" on NRMP
Filled outside the match
Howwwww does one discover such things? 🙂Anyone have insight on Northwestern's status in the match? Looks like they are "withdrawn" on NRMP
Jk. Got it.Howwwww does one discover such things? 🙂
Is this confirmed? did anyone get an email from the PDFilled outside the match
anyone hear from montefiore?
They sent the invites last month. Interviews start beginning of August. they have 2 dates I believe.
Besides cost of living and location, any thoughts on comparing
Vanderbilt, Michigan, and Beth Israel?
Vanderbilt, Michigan, and Beth Israel?
What do you want to do work wise afterwards? I would lean Michigan over Vanderbilt and BID, unless you need an academic stamp in which case I might elevate Boston.Besides cost of living and location, any thoughts on comparing
Vanderbilt, Michigan, and Beth Israel?
What do you want to do work wise afterwards? I would lean Michigan over Vanderbilt and BID, unless you need an academic stamp in which case I might elevate Boston.
I’m curious if the “academic stamp” of BID/Harvard translates into better job opportunities. Ideally would like to end up in the southeast.
I’m curious if the “academic stamp” of BID/Harvard translates into better job opportunities. Ideally would like to end up in the southeast.
Not necessarily unless you're looking to stay in academics.
I generally counsel that it helps to train in the region you want to settle down in long term, with the understand that it may take one or two real jobs for you to understand what you really want out of your career.
Not necessarily unless you're looking to stay in academics.
I generally counsel that it helps to train in the region you want to settle down in long term, with the understand that it may take one or two real jobs for you to understand what you really want out of your career.
What if you are looking for PP jobs but don't get an interview in your target region? Then you basically just pick the brand name spot?
Yeah, brand helps, but often times faculty or people in your target region have connections to specific training programs. Realize that most people understand the brand of the college/basketball/football team more than the quality of the pain training, so sometimes a crappy training program has a better brand with patients than it should.What if you are looking for PP jobs but don't get an interview in your target region? Then you basically just pick the brand name spot?
Regardless, start with the end in mind. Look at where the people in your target region trained. Look at where graduates of your top programs go. Connections are helpful.
Location aside, can someone please discuss UPenn and UPMC?
I can’t speak to Penn other than their PD recently left for Duke.
I really liked UPMC - seemed like their interventional exposure was going to increase with the new faculty from Cleveland Clinic (i think?) they hired. Faculty also seemed very down to earth. I know someone who trained there recently and said they enjoyed it. Lots of fellows but there seems to be a lot of volume to support it. The downsides in my mind were the MANY different locations they have to cover and they don’t use Epic. Overall I really liked the program.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, brand helps, but often times faculty or people in your target region have connections to specific training programs. Realize that most people understand the brand of the college/basketball/football team more than the quality of the pain training, so sometimes a crappy training program has a better brand with patients than it should.
Regardless, start with the end in mind. Look at where the people in your target region trained. Look at where graduates of your top programs go. Connections are helpful.
Are you thinking of any places in particular?
Anyone get confirmation of interview date from Univ of Cincinnati ?
Anyone get confirmation of interview date from Univ of Cincinnati ?
Nope not yet on my end.
Nope not yet on my end.
Ya me neither, still waiting for confirmation of the date I wanted
Although it's been difficult hope that this season is treating everyone well. Just out of curiosity though how many people on this thread are either EM trained or Family Medicine trained?
Current fellow here. Based on what I have been hearing from many applicants, and my own experience as a current fellow in a very large city, programs in larger cities have been disproportionately affected by the decrease in volume. However, from what I’m hearing about MGH and Brigham in particular, their volume has actually maintained pretty steady. My guess is those two programs in particular will be even more competitive than years past, and programs in certain other big cities will be less desirable because of less volume (quality of life issues 2/2 covid aside)
bigcitykid
New Member
Which programs have had decreases in volume? It's been hard to tease this out on the interview trail.
Although it's been difficult hope that this season is treating everyone well. Just out of curiosity though how many people on this thread are either EM trained or Family Medicine trained?
I’m EM trained. Over the course of interview season, I’ve seen a total of 3 other EM applicants at my various interviews. No FM so far. Also no Psych or Rads. I think FM is an even less common pathway to Pain than EM which is rare enough.
Last edited:
Finished my interview process. Interviewed at a lot of top programs. Not taking in account location, and wanting to practice out in California post fellowship, any opinions on training at Cleveland Clinic or BIDMC. Which is the better long term career move? Thanks in advance
bigcitykid
New Member
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I would choose based on location if I were you.Finished my interview process. Interviewed at a lot of top programs. Not taking in account location, and wanting to practice out in California post fellowship, any opinions on training at Cleveland Clinic or BIDMC. Which is the better long term career move? Thanks in advance
I’m EM trained. Over the course of interview season, I’ve seen a total of 3 other EM applicants at my various interviews. No FM so far. Also no Psych or Rads. I think FM is an even less common pathway to Pain than EM which is rare enough.
How did you do this cycle as far as number of interviews?
Finished my interview process. Interviewed at a lot of top programs. Not taking in account location, and wanting to practice out in California post fellowship, any opinions on training at Cleveland Clinic or BIDMC. Which is the better long term career move? Thanks in advance
CCF. Save some money on living. Get the solid brand and a very large network of connections across the world.
yup, and saving money might be even more important than before:
Congratulations, Pain MD's just got a 7% pay cut...
CMS Announces 2021 Physician Fee Schedules and Other Important Updates As usual, today, August 4, 2020, ASIPP would like to share multiple news from the President, and CMS covering the following issues: 1. Executive order expanding telehealth benefits permanently for Medicare beneficiaries...
How did you do this cycle as far as number of interviews?
I think I did fairly well? I received 11 invites. Have the last interview coming up in early September but I’m otherwise done. Granted, I applied really broadly. Regional bias hasn’t really been an issue as far as I can tell.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NRMP says Match Results are on Oct 14th (Wednesday). I thought Match Day was on Friday Oct 16th. Anyone have any insight?
NRMP says Match Results are on Oct 14th (Wednesday). I thought Match Day was on Friday Oct 16th. Anyone have any insight?
It’s always been Wednesday 10/14 for this season.
concsious sedation
New Member
do programs send out the "make sure to register for the NRMP, send us your ID and name" to everyone who interviewed? I.E nyu? or perhaps the people who they are more interested in?