2020-2021 University of South Carolina - Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Greenville has been so quiet... like please y'all just a crumb of communication would be lovely

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they have had 2-3 rounds of interviews already. I interviewed IS 3.94 511

Reactions: 1 user
Greenville has been so quiet... like please y'all just a crumb of communication would be lovely
I so wish they gave status updates in their portal. Or gave numbers for completed secondaries.

Is there an actual portal for Greenville or is it the generic gateway URL? I feel like i'm missing something now lol
It's not really the traditional portal, but you can go back and read your essays and stuff

II last week - IS, ORM, stats below - complete late July

Anyone heard from Greenville SC early decision

Anyone heard from Greenville SC early decision

Early Decision applicant here, I got a call on 10/1 saying I was accepted! I know a few other students who heard back and were either waitlisted or accepted.

Reactions: 5 users
II received last Friday (10/9)! OOS, First one and I'm stoked!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!! I actually was complete 10/4 so I don't know what explains the fast-ish turn around?

Holy, that is fast. I was complete late August and am OOS as well. LOL hoping that means I haven't been ghosted, but regardless, congrats!

• Haha
Holy, that is fast. I was complete late August and am OOS as well. LOL hoping that means I haven't been ghosted, but regardless, congrats!

Yeah I definitely read the email a couple times to make sure LOL!! And I'm sure you haven't been! I have seen weird turn arounds like this with other students on different threads! Thank you though!!

• Care
Just got the phone call for an Acceptance! Super excited since I was very impressed during the interview day! Interviewed on 9/16.

Reactions: 6 users
I sent in an LoR update and they sent back an email saying I was currently being reviewed. I really hope they don't reject me lol

I sent in an LoR update and they sent back an email saying I was currently being reviewed. I really hope they don't reject me lol
Exciting! And fingers crossed! When did you submit your secondary?

• Care
Just got the phone call for an Acceptance! Super excited since I was very impressed during the interview day! Interviewed on 9/16.

Also interviewed on this day and I was accepted yesterday!

Finally got an II today! IS, ORM, 511, 3.5. Complete 7/28. They scheduled my interview for November 4th

• Love
For individuals that have already had their interviews, how did y’all prepare? I’m really nervous about the MMI portion!

Finally got an II today! IS, ORM, 511, 3.5. Complete 7/28. They scheduled my interview for November 4th
I personally thought the MMI was very easy and kind of fun. If you've ever worked in a clinical setting or have even shadowed it should be pretty simple. almost like casper but in real life and honestly easier.

• Love
I personally thought the MMI was very easy and kind of fun. If you've ever worked in a clinical setting or have even shadowed it should be pretty simple. almost like casper but in real life and honestly easier.
Thank you! And how did you feel the traditional interview?

Thank you! And how did you feel the traditional interview?

I agree with comment above! I was stressing for no reason; the traditional interview was great. Everyone is extremely friendly and they just want to get to know the person behind all the great accomplishments. Just be yourself and you will do great!

• Love
For individuals that have already had their interviews, how did y’all prepare? I’m really nervous about the MMI portion!
MMIs are great! Personally, the only preparation I did was some light research on what an MMI is. I would say be yourself and have fun. MMIs sound strange and awkward but feel like a casual conversation in the moment!

Pretty much all of my interview prep was put towards the traditional interview, in which I would say you should draft some answers for 10-20 common questions, with a few curveballs to keep yourself on your toes. If you have the chance, I would recommend a mock interview!

• Love
MMIs are great! Personally, the only preparation I did was some light research on what an MMI is. I would say be yourself and have fun. MMIs sound strange and awkward but feel like a casual conversation in the moment!

Pretty much all of my interview prep was put towards the traditional interview, in which I would say you should draft some answers for 10-20 common questions, with a few curveballs to keep yourself on your toes. If you have the chance, I would recommend a mock interview!
Thank you I am actually doing a mock interview tomorrow! Hopefully it translates well :)

i've been in greenville before and this school is probably my top choice! really hope i get in. any current students wanna weigh in on their opinions of the school, pros/cons, etc?

shamelessly tagging some guys from last year's thread in the hopes of getting some responses

@excitedmedapp @J.R. McAnally @Itisnottoolate @Hiddenleaf09

• Love
this app got buried at the bottom of my email, is it wayy too late to submit the secondary? also is it worth it for those OOS with no ties?

In the interview they said we would hear scholarship status at the end of October. Has anyone heard anything yet?

this app got buried at the bottom of my email, is it wayy too late to submit the secondary? also is it worth it for those OOS with no ties?

how attached are you to the money?

In the interview they said we would hear scholarship status at the end of October. Has anyone heard anything yet?

my understanding is the meeting got pushed back due to the recent storm

Is the next round of acceptances due on Nov. 13th? I am eagerly waiting to hear back.

i've been in greenville before and this school is probably my top choice! really hope i get in. any current students wanna weigh in on their opinions of the school, pros/cons, etc?

shamelessly tagging some guys from last year's thread in the hopes of getting some responses

@excitedmedapp @J.R. McAnally @Itisnottoolate @Hiddenleaf09

Hi! So I honestly really love Greenville a lot. It's hard to do normal pro and cons for us, because we are students during covid. I love the flexibility that is Greenville, even before Covid. Being a younger school, they are so open to feedback and adapt with the classes. They accommodate us whenever they can. I love that we can go to lecture in person, watch live on webex at home, or watch later in the day after its recorded (this way you can speed up, slow down, and pause it). The school is also extremely supportive of you. Your classmates and your faculty - everybody wants you to succeed. It's just a very encouraging community, instead of the typical cut-throat mentality you see going on at some schools. We aren't comparing grades or knocking others down. We share resources, make study groups, help others when they struggle, and so forth. This goes across grades too- all the upperclassmen help us in any way they can.

They have IPM all four years, which is basically getting you ready to actually be in the hospital. It is a pro and con to me. It can honestly be really stressful, terrifying, and confusing doing it- but it's also so much fun and helps us learn SO much. You think you can just walk in the room and play doctor because you've seen it done a hundred times, but they show you how it's not that simple. We learn how to interact with all sorts of patients in different situations, perform different kinds of exams, etc. I honestly really enjoy it and have already learned so much.

My biggest con has been due to covid honestly. It has made communication pretty hard sometimes. Stuff gets lost in the weeds and disorganization happens- but we are also aware nobody is perfect, and everybody is trying their best. These are just unprecedented times and I don't think this issue is unique to USCSOMG right now. I guess my true con outside of covid world is just the dress code. Most schools have one anyways, I just think if I am outside of class and studying in a private room that I should be able to dress lazy but it's not a big deal really. So I usually study at home.

I was an OOS later applicant (not this late, just later than I should have).
During my interview, I was literally told "Why did you not turn this in earlier? You would've interviewed in spring and been accepted in a heart beat. I'm disappointed for you." lol and it hurt but it was true. I had to explain I had no clue timeline really mattered when I applied.
That said, I still did get the interview. I was a spring interview (which for the most part tends to mean you get waitlisted). I got the call in the summer that I was accepted. I did have ties to the state, the school, and Prisma (which I assume helped lots). If you want to be at USCSOMG, I think you can still send it in- you just may not hear til later in the year! It's worth a shot :)

Hi! So I honestly really love Greenville a lot. It's hard to do normal pro and cons for us, because we are students during covid. I love the flexibility that is Greenville, even before Covid. Being a younger school, they are so open to feedback and adapt with the classes. They accommodate us whenever they can. I love that we can go to lecture in person, watch live on webex at home, or watch later in the day after its recorded (this way you can speed up, slow down, and pause it). The school is also extremely supportive of you. Your classmates and your faculty - everybody wants you to succeed. It's just a very encouraging community, instead of the typical cut-throat mentality you see going on at some schools. We aren't comparing grades or knocking others down. We share resources, make study groups, help others when they struggle, and so forth. This goes across grades too- all the upperclassmen help us in any way they can.

They have IPM all four years, which is basically getting you ready to actually be in the hospital. It is a pro and con to me. It can honestly be really stressful, terrifying, and confusing doing it- but it's also so much fun and helps us learn SO much. You think you can just walk in the room and play doctor because you've seen it done a hundred times, but they show you how it's not that simple. We learn how to interact with all sorts of patients in different situations, perform different kinds of exams, etc. I honestly really enjoy it and have already learned so much.

My biggest con has been due to covid honestly. It has made communication pretty hard sometimes. Stuff gets lost in the weeds and disorganization happens- but we are also aware nobody is perfect, and everybody is trying their best. These are just unprecedented times and I don't think this issue is unique to USCSOMG right now. I guess my true con outside of covid world is just the dress code. Most schools have one anyways, I just think if I am outside of class and studying in a private room that I should be able to dress lazy but it's not a big deal really. So I usually study at home.

thank you so much for the detailed reply! it honestly sounds like an amazing school in every way, and it seems like they're doing all the right things. i really enjoyed the interview, despite it being online. we'll see how it goes, but this is definitely where i want to be

Does anyone know if USCSOMG gives their incoming class any kind of gifts or items included in tuition? Like a stethoscope or iPad?

Does anyone know if USCSOMG gives their incoming class any kind of gifts or items included in tuition? Like a stethoscope or iPad?
We got a few gifts. No stethoscope (at least not this fall, and not previously that I'm aware of), but we did receive iPads because the school is an Apple distinguished school. Not sure if goodies will be the same each year. Also got some other little welcome gifts like a school water bottle for example.

We got a few gifts. No stethoscope (at least not this fall, and not previously that I'm aware of), but we did receive iPads because the school is an Apple distinguished school. Not sure if goodies will be the same each year. Also got some other little welcome gifts like a school water bottle for example.
Great, thank you!

Got the acceptance call at 2pm!!!!

Reactions: 5 users