2020-2021 University of South Carolina - Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s one combined waitlist but the way they pull people off the waitlist is based on who gave up their seat and they will go to the waitlist to find someone that “matches” them in a way. Like at the very least they try to match up M/F, & IS/OOS, and maybe MCAT score (unsure about that last one tho) if that makes sense
Just trying to understand more about the process and it might be a silly question buttttt:

Do they pull “everyone” off upper tier before looking at middle (and middle tier before looking at lower) even if the higher tier person doesn’t match with someone who declined their seat?
For example: if Bob gives up their acceptance, but he matches more with Daniel who is in lower tier as opposed to Shaun who is middle tier— who gets chosen?
To me, it seems like they would accept Shaun due to his higher ranking but because of the other factors, I’m not 100% sure.

Thanks for any help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just trying to understand more about the process and it might be a silly question buttttt:

Do they pull “everyone” off upper tier before looking at middle (and middle tier before looking at lower) even if the higher tier person doesn’t match with someone who declined their seat?
For example: if Bob gives up their acceptance, but he matches more with Daniel who is in lower tier as opposed to Shaun who is middle tier— who gets chosen?
To me, it seems like they would accept Shaun due to his higher ranking but because of the other factors, I’m not 100% sure.

Thanks for any help :)
I don't have a definite answer myself, but I'm pretty sure that they would filter through tier rankings first before looking at the "match." Otherwise, the whole tier system would be pointless.

Good luck, fellow waitlisters - fingers crossed for some good news this week!

Reactions: 1 user
I keep hearing about the waitlist movement on April 30. Does a lot of movement actually happen on that day? I feel like most students wouldn't wait until the very last day to commit to a school, so does anyone know how likely it is that say, 10 or so people get pulled from the waitlist on a single day?

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hearing about the waitlist movement on April 30. Does a lot of movement actually happen on that day? I feel like most students wouldn't wait until the very last day to commit to a school, so does anyone know how likely it is that say, 10 or so people get pulled from the waitlist on a single day?
From what I can see on old threads, there seems to be quite a bit of movement on April 30th.... but that varies year to year so it's really hard to tell. Keeping spirits high, though!

I think LOI's never really hurt!
My advice would be to send it now if you can though. That day (and likely even the day or two before) will be hectic because it is indeed major decision day. I personally would not want to risk my LOI being read later on due to the chaos of that day, so I would send it before then if you can. That being said, if you're not ready with it yet, it is still worth sending just whenever it is ready! Best of luck.
Who do directly send the LOI to? General admissions or Lucy Conaway? Thanks so much for the tips!

Who do directly send the LOI to? General admissions or Lucy Conaway? Thanks so much for the tips!
I personally didn't send one last year so I'm not sure. I'd check with Lucy and just ask who it should be sent to - she's always willing to help :)

Just checked 2020-2021 stats via AAMC and greenville got more applications than MUSC this year and they accepted 41% out of state, thats gotta be a new record. I was pretty shocked.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Just checked 2020-2021 stats via AAMC and greenville got more applications than MUSC this year and they accepted 41% out of state, thats gotta be a new record. I was pretty shocked.
Woah lol Where on the aamc site did you see that?

Compared to MUSC Greenville is more OOS friendly. MUSC isnt shy about being OOS “unfriendly” lol I think that might be the reason. I do wonder why the amount of instate students applying isn’t as close to the other SC schools 🤔 you would think if you’re applying instate you would apply to all 3. Lol might’ve been bc of that secondary 😂

Got accepted today! OOS applicant on upper tier and received a call this morning

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew my acceptance earlier this month- was wondering if the seat fee refund is automatically processed or do I have to do something? Thanks! Hope one of y’all grabs my spot :)

Just got accepted as well, OOS upper tier!

Reactions: 4 users
congrats to all of you guys, that's so exciting !!!

Congrats to all those accepted!! That must be an awesome feeling

Best of luck to the rest of us waitlisted, tomorrow should be a big day with *hopefully* a lot of movement!

Hoping to give up my acceptance seat today

Reactions: 5 users
Based on SDN, seems like not much waitlist movement or activity happening today for any of the SC schools :/

Reactions: 2 users
I got a call at 8:30 this morning and I was half asleep/awake but when I realized it was my phone I never jolted up so fast only for it to not be the school 😂😂

I got a call at 8:30 this morning and I was half asleep/awake but when I realized it was my phone I never jolted up so fast only for it to not be the school 😂😂
Same happened to me. Thought it was finally my time but it just turned out to be my car’s extended warranty 😭😭💔

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Same happened to me. Thought it was finally my time but it just turned out to be my car’s extended warranty 😭😭💔
Similar thing here too 🙃🙃 spam caller with Greenville area code called me an hour ago and almost gave me a heart attack

Based on SDN, seems like not much waitlist movement or activity happening today for any of the SC schools :/
Do you think there will be more movement next week, after the 1st? Isn’t that when most seat fees are due

Do you think there will be more movement next week, after the 1st? Isn’t that when most seat fees are due
The seat deposit for Greenville is due by May 12 and today is the last day the fee is refundable

I know a few others who have been pulled today and Friday so the waitlist is definitely active.

Still top tier I’m assuming?
I’m IS upper tier and still haven’t heard anything :/ these tiers seem a lot larger than I thought, but hopefully there’s still some more movement throughout this week

Hey I’m OS upper tier waitlist. Haven’t heard anything but saw that the Facebook group for the class of 2025 has 98 people already. Does that mean they are only space left for 2 people?

Hey I’m OS upper tier waitlist. Haven’t heard anything but saw that the Facebook group for the class of 2025 has 98 people already. Does that mean they are only space left for 2 people?
No. USCSOMG class is bigger than 100 people and there are admins in the group who are not a part of class of 2025

No. USCSOMG class is bigger than 100 people and there are admins in the group who are not a part of class of 2025
This might be a dumb question but I’m not really sure how this waitlist works...So if they reach their “target number” of students committing to enroll for their class, would all or most waitlist candidates get rejected at that point?

Otherwise, what’s the point of holding three tiers of waitlist candidates until June/July?

This might be a dumb question but I’m not really sure how this waitlist works...So if they reach their “target number” of students committing to enroll for their class, would all or most waitlist candidates get rejected at that point?

Otherwise, what’s the point of holding three tiers of waitlist candidates until June/July?
They probably won’t start rejecting waitlisted candidates until closer to July. This is because even if the class is “full” at the moment, anybody in the class right now may receive an acceptance from another school they may be waitlisted at. This person may prefer that new accepted school over Greenville and would withdraw from Greenville in favor of their new acceptance which leaves an open seat for someone on Greenville’s WL to be accepted. This can continue to happen up until Grenville’s CTE deadline or classes start. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
So if we are upper tier and still have not heard yet do we think it is gonna be June or maybe not at all?? Last year there was that big gap in May when no one heard anything. I just do not like sitting around thinking I could hear back each day.

I don't know if this helps, but accepted students were told we must select commit to enroll by June 18th, so I would anticipate up until or shortly after then there will be more waitlist movement!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi guys. I just got the call. I AM GOING TO GREENVILLE!!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi guys. I just got the call. I AM GOING TO GREENVILLE!!
Me too!!!! I am ECSTATIC!! fingers crossed for everyone else
Congrats you guys!!!

and for the rest of us waitlisters, that’s great news that the waitlist is still steadily moving even after 4/30. Hopefully more movement soon to come!