2020-2021 University of South Carolina - Greenville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted, Upper Tier, OOS with ties

Members don't see this ad.

Upper tier, IS. I haven’t heard of anyone accepted today yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Upper tier Waitlist, OOS close ties as well

Applying next cycle and this is my dream school, this thread is really scaring me! 😔
Good luck to everyone in this thread and I hope to meet y’all as M2s :)

Applying next cycle and this is my dream school, this thread is really scaring me! 😔
Good luck to everyone in this thread and I hope to meet y’all as M2s :)
Looking at this thread is scary, I'm sure. Just know that you are very different from all of us, and may have a very different experience than us. Keep hope, but use this thread to help you not go into the cycle blind. As long as you worked hard in undergrad (or grad if you are grad), be confident in yourself. And, if it makes you feel any better, my interview with Greenville was the best of all my interviews. They were very kind and welcoming, and none of them made me feel even a bit nervous. That is something to look forward to! Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Looking at this thread is scary, I'm sure. Just know that you are very different from all of us, and may have a very different experience than us. Keep hope, but use this thread to help you not go into the cycle blind. As long as you worked hard in undergrad (or grad if you are grad), be confident in yourself. And, if it makes you feel any better, my interview with Greenville was the best of all my interviews. They were very kind and welcoming, and none of them made me feel even a bit nervous. That is something to look forward to! Good luck!
Thank you so much for that wonderful message! Now I really hope you get accepted so I can learn more from you :)

Hi guys! Last time I will post to this thread this year, but feel free to continue to message me if you need. I wanted to offer some support to all of you who have been waitlisted. I know it's disappointing and difficult - I was waitlisted here and at one other school last year in the spring. I got my call in June that I was accepted to USCSOMG (I was OOS / upper tier). So do not lose hope until the day that class starts honestly! You could get the call at any time.
Please remember that if you got waitlisted, you are still so qualified and capable. Tons of people don't get secondaries or interviews anywhere, and you got BOTH here. That's huge!
If you look at the statistics from last year: 554 in-state applications, 231 interviewed, 70 matriculated and 3011 out-of-state applications, 124 interviewed, 35 matriculated. So if you even got an interview... you are amazing! If not, then keep working hard to get one next year. Reach out to the school and ask what they would want to see changed, what you could improve. I wish you all the best of luck, and feel free to reach out with any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys! Last time I will post to this thread this year, but feel free to continue to message me if you need. I wanted to offer some support to all of you who have been waitlisted. I know it's disappointing and difficult - I was waitlisted here and at one other school last year in the spring. I got my call in June that I was accepted to USCSOMG (I was OOS / upper tier). So do not lose hope until the day that class starts honestly! You could get the call at any time.
Please remember that if you got waitlisted, you are still so qualified and capable. Tons of people don't get secondaries or interviews anywhere, and you got BOTH here. That's huge!
If you look at the statistics from last year: 554 in-state applications, 231 interviewed, 70 matriculated and 3011 out-of-state applications, 124 interviewed, 35 matriculated. So if you even got an interview... you are amazing! If not, then keep working hard to get one next year. Reach out to the school and ask what they would want to see changed, what you could improve. I wish you all the best of luck, and feel free to reach out with any questions.
Oh wow - June?! I was thinking most decisions would be made by late April 😅

Do you know if they wait for a cluster of openings and then accept a group of waitlist candidates at once, or do they accept one at a time as soon as there's a spot open?

Thanks for your words of encouragement!

Thanks! Classes start in June?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow - June?! I was thinking most decisions would be made by late April 😅

Do you know if they wait for a cluster of openings and then accept a group of waitlist candidates at once, or do they accept one at a time as soon as there's a spot open?

Thanks for your words of encouragement!
Most people decide by mid-May so yes most shifting around is kinda done by then... but if somebody changes their mind and a spot opens up, they're gonna fill it. Luckily that happened for me!
I honestly do not know. I would assume it is one at a time, but that's just because it makes sense in my head that way.
You're welcome. Best of luck!

Pre-II R as well. I don't understand the admission games lolz

Thank you for this. I actually found it so encouraging. I’ve been waitlisted at 3/3 schools I interviewed at & it’s really disheartening.
like I’m good enough to interview, but they’re hoping someone better comes along?
I know the odds are in my favor that I’ll get an A somewhere. It’s relieving to know others have been in my shoes!

Reactions: 2 users
It's probably still way too early for this question, but have you guys heard of any waitlist activity/acceptances happening yet for this cycle? Or is that likely going to start around late April/early May?

being on a waitlist is unlocking levels of neuroticism i'd never imagined possible, i'm practically reading tea leaves trying to figure out my chances

Reactions: 7 users
I haven’t heard anything yet. But yeah I think things will start moving late April/early May based on the AAMC Waitlist Rules. At least that’s what I’m telling myself for the sake of my own sanity lol all this waiting is killing me.

It's probably still way too early for this question, but have you guys heard of any waitlist activity/acceptances happening yet for this cycle? Or is that likely going to start around late April/early May?
I haven't heard whether anyone has been pulled from the waitlist yet, and I have a bunch of friends at different spots on the waitlist. I think most schools don't start pulling from their waitlist until April 30th when people have to make decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS student but went to USC Columbia for undergrad with some instate ties. Interviewed back in Nov and was placed on the Low-Tier waitlist (OOF that one hurt lol).
Does anyone know roughly how long their waitlists are? Just trying to gauge if I have any chance of getting accepted from the Low-Tier division

OOS student but went to USC Columbia for undergrad with some instate ties. Interviewed back in Nov and was placed on the Low-Tier waitlist (OOF that one hurt lol).
Does anyone know roughly how long their waitlists are? Just trying to gauge if I have any chance of getting accepted from the Low-Tier division
this is the million dollar question, i'm really hoping it's not more than 35-40 people but it's impossible to tell

this is the million dollar question, i'm really hoping it's not more than 35-40 people but it's impossible to tell
I’m really curious how the waitlist is for OOS too if it’s separate or not I wanna go here so bad! 😫

I am IS waitlisted on the upper tier with strong ties. I got the call today that I was accepted! Not sure how long the waitlist is per se, but hopefully this gives you some solace in that people are now being moved off the waitlist.

Reactions: 6 users
I am IS waitlisted on the upper tier with strong ties. I got the call today that I was accepted! Not sure how long the waitlist is per se, but hopefully this gives you some solace in that people are now being moved off the waitlist.
Today as in 4/15?

congrats, that's awesome !!

for the rest of us, let the nail biting commence

Reactions: 4 users
Also pulled off the waitlist yesterday IS student upper tier WL.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
if we don't answer the call do they leave a voicemail ? i get a lot of spam/robocalls and never answer the phone because of it

if we don't answer the call do they leave a voicemail ? i get a lot of spam/robocalls and never answer the phone because of it
From what I've heard, they'll usually send you an email saying that they have a "question" about your application and then ask you to call the admissions office...and then they hit you with the good news.

Fingers crossed for the rest of us on the waitlist, it's been feeling like an eternity.

Reactions: 4 users
From what I've heard, they'll usually send you an email saying that they have a "question" about your application and then ask you to call the admissions office...and then they hit you with the good news.

Fingers crossed for the rest of us on the waitlist, it's been feeling like an eternity.
really ? i was under the impression that they just call out of the blue, since i've read 'just got the call' so many times on here. thanks for clarifying !

really ? i was under the impression that they just call out of the blue, since i've read 'just got the call' so many times on here. thanks for clarifying !
I think that the email is for when someone doesn’t answer the phone!

I’m OOS waitlisted in the upper tier, received the call today that I was accepted.

Reactions: 8 users
Do you guys think it's still worth sending application updates at this point (during waitlist waiting period), or is that likely not going to affect anything?

Do you guys think it's still worth sending application updates at this point (during waitlist waiting period), or is that likely not going to affect anything?
Personally, I think if you have something of value to update like a letter of intent or an updated activity, you should. Idk if the waitlist is already set in stone or if it actively moves but I am sure it couldn't hurt.

I asked the doctor I work for who teaches at the medical school to see if he had any idea. He believes there are only 10-15 people in each tier of the waitlist but he cannot be 100% sure. His daughter was waitlisted at Greenville four years ago and is graduating from Greenville in two weeks! So fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 users
I asked the doctor I work for who teaches at the medical school to see if he had any idea. He believes there are only 10-15 people in each tier of the waitlist but he cannot be 100% sure. His daughter was waitlisted at Greenville four years ago and is graduating from Greenville in two weeks! So fingers crossed.
I made a list of the people I know on the waitlist and the people from this thread and that sounds about right! I can't be 100% sure either though because there are obviously people that just lurk.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone happen to know if the waitlists are split into IS and OOS or is one combined waitlist? I’m OOS waitlisted upper tier and submitted a LOI, just curious of my odds.

Anyone happen to know if the waitlists are split into IS and OOS or is one combined waitlist? I’m OOS waitlisted upper tier and submitted a LOI, just curious of my odds.
It’s one combined waitlist but the way they pull people off the waitlist is based on who gave up their seat and they will go to the waitlist to find someone that “matches” them in a way. Like at the very least they try to match up M/F, & IS/OOS, and maybe MCAT score (unsure about that last one tho) if that makes sense

It’s one combined waitlist but the way they pull people off the waitlist is based on who gave up their seat and they will go to the waitlist to find someone that “matches” them in a way. Like at the very least they try to match up M/F, & IS/OOS, and maybe MCAT score (unsure about that last one tho) if that makes sense
Gotcha thank you! Crossing my fingers I match with someone who gives up their spot 😂

Mid tier IS applicant. Thinking of sending a LOI on April 30th since that's the major decision day for a lot of accepted folks. Would any current students lmk if this is a good idea?

Mid tier IS applicant. Thinking of sending a LOI on April 30th since that's the major decision day for a lot of accepted folks. Would any current students lmk if this is a good idea?
I think LOI's never really hurt!
My advice would be to send it now if you can though. That day (and likely even the day or two before) will be hectic because it is indeed major decision day. I personally would not want to risk my LOI being read later on due to the chaos of that day, so I would send it before then if you can. That being said, if you're not ready with it yet, it is still worth sending just whenever it is ready! Best of luck.

Those of you who received calls around what time do they normally call?