2020-2021 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, what’s an ideal time for all letters of rec to be in? I think med schools start reviewing things July 15 (right?) so is it ok to not have everything in by this date or will you be “pushed back” in their pile of applications? I think I have at least 3 letters in right now which is the minimum at most schools. I forget all of these important details from last year 😂

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, what’s an ideal time for all letters of rec to be in? I think med schools start reviewing things July 15 (right?) so is it ok to not have everything in by this date or will you be “pushed back” in their pile of applications? I think I have at least 3 letters in right now which is the minimum at most schools. I forget all of these important details from last year 😂
The earlier the better most likely. I had all mine in by mid-July last year and my first II was sent out in October IIRC

Reactions: 1 users
Just received my first MD acceptance on Thursday after receiving 4 WL & 1 R post-interview!! I had given up getting in this cycle & dropped $1K on reapplications the night prior. Still in shock! There’s still some hope left! Good luck everyone ❤️

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 30 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my first MD acceptance on Thursday after receiving 4 WL & 1 R post-interview!! I had given up getting in this cycle & dropped $1K on reapplications the night prior. Still in shock! There’s still some hope left! Good luck everyone ❤️

Withdraw your 2022 AMCAS. IIRC, they refund the fee if the primary isn't processed.

Withdraw your 2022 AMCAS. IIRC, they refund the fee if the primary isn't processed.
Sadly I was verified for one school & held off adding the rest of the schools until Wednesday :/

• Sad
  • Care
I’m personally preparing for other things at the moment…but how screwed are those with no A (i.e. me) at this point?

June is pretty much over and July looks on the horizon - the school I’m waiting on starts in August.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I’m personally preparing for other things at the moment…but how screwed are those with no A (i.e. me) at this point?

June is pretty much over and July looks on the horizon - the school I’m waiting on starts in August.
At this point, prospects are very very low but not zero. Could you be one of the last people to get the call? Yes. But the odds at this point are quite low.
Keep your hope alive, but move onto a reapplication in your head.

Reactions: 6 users
At this point, prospects are very very low but not zero. Could you be one of the last people to get the call? Yes. But the odds at this point are quite low.
Keep your hope alive, but move onto a reapplication in your head.
Fair point.

The school I’m looking at (it’s a DO institution) has been moving, but they haven’t picked me.

Reactions: 2 users
Fair point.

The school I’m looking at (it’s a DO institution) has been moving, but they haven’t picked me.
If it’s STILL moving that’s a good sign. My post was more indicative of MD waitlist (because this is the MD waitlist support thread not DO: not being sassy). DO is different, more movement typically.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, I hadn't checked SDN in a week. I am at peace with my fate.

I no longer attach my identity to medical school, and am somewhat excited to have another gap year now.

I've lost but won.

• Care
Reactions: 32 users
Wow, I hadn't checked SDN in a week. I am at peace with my fate.

I no longer attach my identity to medical school, and am somewhat excited to have another gap year now.

I've lost but won.
I have other plans…but I’m also thinking about surrendering them for yet another gap year.

I don’t know though - my record’s issue is pretty glaring: multiple MCATs. I’m also running out of chances as well.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i really thought it wouldnt be :( how long have you been waiting? i submitted on the 25th and its showing they're on June 4th :/
How do you find out what day they’re currently processing? And compared to last year are they really behind because last year was a disaster for them lol

How do you find out what day they’re currently processing? And compared to last year are they really behind because last year was a disaster for them lol
This page - says which day they are working on currently. Applying to Medical School with AMCAS®
So far it's between 10 and 21 days for the most part. I think it will get longer as more people submit.

This page - says which day they are working on currently. Applying to Medical School with AMCAS®
So far it's between 10 and 21 days for the most part. I think it will get longer as more people submit.
So if I’m complete at most schools by the second week of august that’s considered early right? I wasn’t complete until September 7-9ish at all schools last year and I still received 4IIs. Maybe being earlier will change my outcome

So if I’m complete at most schools by the second week of august that’s considered early right? I wasn’t complete until September 7-9ish at all schools last year and I still received 4IIs. Maybe being earlier will change my outcome
i submitted on june 29th last yr and i think i wasn't verified until august 10th. this yr i submitted june 25th so it's not looking so great again. i really thought it'd take way less time this yr compared to last

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Never expected to be typing this, but I JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!!! The only school I interviewed with, one of my top choice schools, I am going to be a DO!!!! Its slow but movement is still happening yall and I am so overwhelmed with gratitude.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 45 users
Definitely seeing more movement in the last 2-3 weeks than I had expected. Are others seeing the same? A good amount of DO movement and lower tier MD too.

This all seems good and I am hoping for a good trickle down effect with CTE dates coming up too (although I’m well aware CTE doesn’t always open up spaces).

Just putting some hope out there in the universe for anyone hoping for that first acceptance or that dream acceptance.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Definitely seeing more movement in the last 2-3 weeks than I had expected. Are others seeing the same? A good amount of DO movement and lower tier MD too.

This all seems good and I am hoping for a good trickle down effect with CTE dates coming up too (although I’m well aware CTE doesn’t always open up spaces).

Just putting some hope out there in the universe for anyone hoping for that first acceptance or that dream acceptance.
I hoping for some trickle.

…and to be picked. Everybody is seemingly being picked up except me at my WL choice.

…though I’m not surprised, to be frank.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Why is AMCAS so slow this year?
They’re not slow, every year more applicants get the message to apply early. Especially after last years **** show cycle. They’re moving the same speed they always do with higher volume

The year is 2050…Submitting one minute after verification opens results in a DOA late app.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
They’re not slow, every year more applicants get the message to apply early. Especially after last years **** show cycle. They’re moving the same speed they always do with higher volume
Not only this, but people either don't recognize or appreciate the speed bump they build into the process to make things a little more fair for everyone.

People who submitted and were verified on 5/27 had to wait 29 days for their apps to be transmitted to schools. People who submitted on 6/5 and were verified on 6/30 had to wait 25 days to be transmitted. It's a manual process that takes time when 60,000+ applications are involved, many with multiple transcripts. Nobody is transmitted anywhere close to immediately, any year, until the end of the cycle when the queue falls to zero days.

AMCAS is still well within its quoted 6-8 weeks. AMCAS deals with this every year. Yes, the more people who apply, the longer waits will become, but 25 days is far from unprecedented. It will certainly get much worse before it gets better, just as it does every year.

Expecting AMCAS to train and staff for an onslaught of submissions at the beginning of every cycle, and to then lay those people off until the next year, is just not reasonable and is not going to happen, so this is the system we have. Basically, nobody waits less than 3-4 weeks, and, if you don't submit within the first week or so, you can expect your wait to be 6-8 weeks.

If you want to be sure to be "early" (before Labor Day), you have 5 weeks to submit from when the application opens for submission the last week of May (3.5 weeks after the application opens for drafting in the beginning of May). It's the same thing every year. JMHO, as someone who has been paying attention and went into the cycle knowing exactly what to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Okay...
Alright, I'm officially calling it a wrap this cycle. Got the R from 1 of my 2 WLs-- the other one hasn't had movement since March, so I'm not expecting any miracles at this point. I'm pretty bummed that I couldn't even get one A out of 3 II, but it is what it is.

I've already submitted my application and got back my new MCAT score, so looks like I'm going to start pre-writing secondaries while waiting to get verified (looks like it'll take forever this year as well). Good luck to everyone still on the WL and I really hope that you get the A. If you're reapplying, I hope that this cycle treats you well and that we don't find ourselves stuck in limbo again.

• Care
Reactions: 20 users
I just want to say that the med school admissions process is really demoralizing and I empathize with everyone on this thread. I had a conditional acceptance to my dream school this cycle only to have it revoked because I wasn’t “fit” for military service. Two waitlists later and nothing. I’m thankful to have a DO acceptance but man, this whole ordeal has really made me feel like crap. Good luck everyone. Maybe there are still a handful of spots to open before all is said and done. Gotta keep the faith and know your worth even when the schools don’t see it.

• Care
Reactions: 20 users
Hi friends! Long time lurker in need of advice.
Just some context: 1st mcat was 499, 2nd try was a 503. Decided just to try and apply during senior year with the 503 and got interviewed at my state MD school, but eventually rejected. Was told to increase mcat and get clinical experience. I finally took 3 months off of everything to study and rewrote for a 507. Started work as a MA. Reapplied with a 3.5 sgpa/3.7 cgpa. Only had 1 ii, silence from all oos low-mid tier private schools. I’m currently on 1 waitlist at my state school that starts in a few weeks. I do want to try one more time before giving up and trying for another allied health career. I plan on trying for the mcat for the last time and will take a gap year for that and reapply during the 2022-2023 cycle.

I’m still working at my MA job and i’ve been thinking about quitting in order to focus on the mcat. I plan to take 4-5 months to study and sign up for a mcat class/tutor. I guess I just wanted reassurance or advice that quitting my job will be okay/not looked down upon by admins. I love my job, have been there for about 2 years, but i’m not confident that i can work and hardcore study successfully at the same time. I know a 507 isnt horrible, but i feel it make it harder for me to reapply with it, especially with my average-ish gpa.

• Care
Just some context: 1st mcat was 499, 2nd try was a 503. Decided just to try and apply during senior year with the 503 and got interviewed at my state MD school, but eventually rejected. Was told to increase mcat and get clinical experience. I finally took 3 months off of everything to study and rewrote for a 507. Started work as a MA. Reapplied with a 3.5 sgpa/3.7 cgpa. Only had 1 ii, silence from all oos low-mid tier private schools. I’m currently on 1 waitlist at my state school that starts in a few weeks. I do want to try one more time before giving up and trying for another allied health career. I plan on trying for the mcat for the last time and will take a gap year for that and reapply during the 2022-2023 cycle.

I’m still working at my MA job and i’ve been thinking about quitting in order to focus on the mcat. I plan to take 4-5 months to study and sign up for a mcat class/tutor. I guess I just wanted reassurance or advice that quitting my job will be okay/not looked down upon by admins. I love my job, have been there for about 2 years, but i’m not confident that i can work and hardcore study successfully at the same time. I know a 507 isnt horrible, but i feel it make it harder for me to reapply with it, especially with my average-ish gpa.
Your stats are good- DO would take

If you feel that you need to stop working in order to study and prepare well for the MCAT, it might be in your best interest to ask for an extended leave of absence or temporary departure instead of outright quitting. After all, you want to do something after the MCATs done right?

6 interviews, 5 waitlists, no Acceptances, high stats… let my story be a warning sign for all those who think their stats or amount of interviews is sufficient…

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 25 users
Your stats are good- DO would take
I was going to say apply DO. You’ll set yourself up for a great career regardless of MD/DO and as someone with a 3.9/509 I got waitlisted at multiple MD and acceptances at a lot of DO schools. Once I convinced myself that I can still have a fulfilling career despite two letters I took the DO and ran with it.

Reactions: 7 users
I was going to say apply DO. You’ll set yourself up for a great career regardless of MD/DO and as someone with a 3.9/509 I got waitlisted at multiple MD and acceptances at a lot of DO schools. Once I convinced myself that I can still have a fulfilling career despite two letters I took the DO and ran with it.
Exactly!

Officially calling it quits on this cycle, as some secondaries for 2021-2022 are showing up in my inbox. Thank you everyone for the advice, support, and memes!! Best of luck to you all, and hopefully we don’t need to use a WL support thread next year 😂🙏🏼

• Care
Reactions: 14 users
Officially calling it quits on this cycle, as some secondaries for 2021-2022 are showing up in my inbox. Thank you everyone for the advice, support, and memes!! Best of luck to you all, and hopefully we don’t need to use a WL support thread next year 😂🙏🏼
never thought I'd see Murr applying to med school :rofl: :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

I'd consider asking to move to a part time schedule at work. Maybe not what you're wanting, but just another option. That way you have full days at home to study and maintain some life balance. I'd also ask for feedback from the school where you are waitlisted. I was told to not retake my 507 by admissions where I am waitlisted. Good luck to you!

As if this cycle could get any crazier, I was accepted to my MD program for next years class 🥺😭

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 38 users
That’s great news! Congrats! Are you going to take it and wait a year or go to the DO school this year?
I’m accepting the offer! So I will be withdrawing my spot at the DO school this weekend!

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats!! How does that even work? What explanation did they give in the email or phone call?
Thank you! They told me something along the lines of the class being full this year and they thought they’d see more movement but didn’t and they want me in their class for next year. I was preparing for the fat R soon tbh. I just have to submit a AMCAS 2022 to them but don’t need anything except my transcripts

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I interviewed in May at a school that notoriously interviews late into the cycle, but am on edge as the CTE date passed, classes start in 2 weeks, and haven't received any updates from them yet. No waitlist, no R, nada. I recently emailed them, and they said my status is "interview complete, pending review". At this point, is this a soft R? :/

Thank you! They told me something along the lines of the class being full this year and they thought they’d see more movement but didn’t and they want me in their class for next year. I was preparing for the fat R soon tbh. I just have to submit a AMCAS 2022 to them but don’t need anything except my transcripts
congrats!!!! spend a year doing things you love!

I interviewed in May at a school that notoriously interviews late into the cycle, but am on edge as the CTE date passed, classes start in 2 weeks, and haven't received any updates from them yet. No waitlist, no R, nada. I recently emailed them, and they said my status is "interview complete, pending review". At this point, is this a soft R? :/
Not to be a debbie downer, but its essentially an R. The chances of any WL movement at this point are incredibly low.

super random, but i'd thought i'd ask here. Anyone else's AMCAS down? It says for me that maintenance is going on and will be back up July 10 which already passed... just making sure this isn't an error on my end...

super random, but i'd thought i'd ask here. Anyone else's AMCAS down? It says for me that maintenance is going on and will be back up July 10 which already passed... just making sure this isn't an error on my end...
No. It's definitely an error on your end. This happened to me in the spring after they took the system down for maintenance. I can't tell you why it's affecting you and not me, other than the fact that I wasn't in the application before or while they were working on it, and you probably were. After I experienced what you are experiencing now, I cleared the cache in my browser and all was well. Please try that and let me know if it works.

No. It's definitely an error on your end. This happened to me in the spring after they took the system down for maintenance. I can't tell you why it's affecting you and not me, other than the fact that I wasn't in the application before or while they were working on it, and you probably were. After I experienced what you are experiencing now, I cleared the cache in my browser and all was well. Please try that and let me know if it works.
it worked! you rock @KnightDoc

• Love
do adcoms get a notification when someone submits an update letter, letter of intent, etc?
Depends on what you mean by "notification"! I'm sure their mailbox would be totally destroyed if they received an e-mail every time any applicant had any activity on their application.

As you probably know, no part of the application is reduced to paper. It's all exactly what you see on AMCAS, plus on your individual school portals.

I'm not on the other side of the wall, so this is nothing more than my somewhat informed speculation, but my best guess is that nobody is sitting around reading our updates constantly. The update, letter, upload, whatever, goes into your application, where it is available for them to review whenever they want.

Either they don't look at them other than when they are otherwise reviewing your file, OR, they periodically run screens looking for recent updates, and review them then. My guess would be the latter, and that any file that is competitive and has an interesting, significant update is then flagged for further review.

For most of us, updates probably fall into a black hole and never mean anything, either because we were good without them or because nothing we send them will make a difference. I seriously doubt a designated person does nothing all day other than review everyone's updates, based on notifications that would probably arrive nearly constantly from the date applications open until a week after classes begin the following year, if notifications were actually a thing.

• Care