2020 advanced PTEeXAM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonzie37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's late but I was just curious about what people are using for practice questions. The PTE Masters questions are very repetitive and I've heard they do not accurately reflect the exam.

Has anyone used other question sources? How do the questions from the Mathew text stack up to the real exam.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Josh zimmerman sends out pics every day. Keeps me sharp been doing it for 2 years. Recommend it to anyone

Reactions: 2 users
I know it's late but I was just curious about what people are using for practice questions. The PTE Masters questions are very repetitive and I've heard they do not accurately reflect the exam.

Has anyone used other question sources? How do the questions from the Mathew text stack up to the real exam.

Thanks!
Perrino's book has qs at end of every chapter and so does mathew. Both good reads but if time contrained and bored with tommy burch then you could just do the q's in those books

PTEMasters is repetitive but I found it prepared me quite well for the exam. Honestly just doing that along with clinically doing cardiac cases (there was a lot of you see this what do you do) is a good recipe for a pass.

PTEMasters is repetitive but I found it prepared me quite well for the exam. Honestly just doing that along with clinically doing cardiac cases (there was a lot of you see this what do you do) is a good recipe for a pass.
This is good to know. What is this Matthew text everyone refers to. I have my Perrino book but that's about it.

This is good to know. What is this Matthew text everyone refers to. I have my Perrino book but that's about it.

Mathew, one T.

what is the test duration/number of questions/format in terms of blocks of questions and breaks and such? I skimmed through the PDFs on the NBE site but couldn't find this and am wondering what to expect.

I assume there's a simple on-screen calculator since one of the testing software tutorials had one?

what is the test duration/number of questions/format in terms of blocks of questions and breaks and such? I skimmed through the PDFs on the NBE site but couldn't find this and am wondering what to expect.

I assume there's a simple on-screen calculator since one of the testing software tutorials had one?

It’s there but you have to dig through their suboptimal website I think.

From what I remember I believe it’s 3-4 blocks of... 75ish questions? I was in there from 8 to about 11, taking only a short break.

It’s there but you have to dig through their suboptimal website I think.

From what I remember I believe it’s 3-4 blocks of... 75ish questions? I was in there from 8 to about 11, taking only a short break.
Yeah. I think I remember practicing and building the stamina to do 2 blocks, take a good break, do another block, take a short break, and then do the last block. If I remember correctly.

Found on their website.

Both (RePTE and AdvPTE) exams contain 5 exam blocks. The Advanced PTEeXAM blocks contain 40 items each and candidates are given 54 minutes per block

So 200 questions and 5 hours. Jesus. i plan to be there like half that. Even for the ITEs which were also 200 questions, I'd be done in <2 hours, too ADHD to sit aorund that long.

Members don't see this ad :)
So 200 questions and 5 hours. Jesus. i plan to be there like half that. Even for the ITEs which were also 200 questions, I'd be done in <2 hours, too ADHD to sit aorund that long.

There’s some calculations you have to do (AVA, PISA, etc) which makes it take a bit longer than the more straightforward ITE. But you’re definitely tired at the end of it, it’s a long test. But also probably the last standardized test I’ll take like that for... ever?

There’s some calculations you have to do (AVA, PISA, etc) which makes it take a bit longer than the more straightforward ITE. But you’re definitely tired at the end of it, it’s a long test. But also probably the last standardized test I’ll take like that for... ever?
I wish, I’m part of the unfortunate cohort that had oral boards indefinitely postponed.

• Sad
Recertifications though right? I’m up for it next year

Reactions: 1 users
Recertifications though right? I’m up for it next year

No, I don’t think so. As I’ve said before I was unimpressed at the 18 months it took to the get the certification after the initial exam. It’s so slow and sporadic we don’t even require certification for us cardiac folks, just testamur status within 3 years. There’s a reason so few take the RePTE.

Re the duration of the test, I am usually a very fast test taker that finishes in about half the allotted time for ITE, BASIC, etc, but I was pushed on this one on just about every block. I thought it was a fair test overall, though definitely challenging.

No, I don’t think so. As I’ve said before I was unimpressed at the 18 months it took to the get the certification after the initial exam. It’s so slow and sporadic we don’t even require certification for us cardiac folks, just testamur status within 3 years. There’s a reason so few take the RePTE.
I can totally understand that, especially in terms of the actual reimbursement you get for an echo read

May have already been mentioned, but they review paperwork twice a year to certify you if I recall.