2020 Cycle Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got off two waitlists this month!! From 0 A to 2 and one of them in the top 15!!! There’s still hope!!! Peoples cycles can change literally overnight. It’s not over till it’s over!!! So happy!!! Rooting for all of you

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 55 users
Got off two waitlists this month!! From 0 A to 2 and one of them in the top 15!!! There’s still hope!!! Peoples cycles can change literally overnight. It’s not over till it’s over!!! So happy!!! Rooting for all of you
Congrats!! I recognize you from the other thread where you got accepted first (I’m currently waitlisted there). Which school are u gonna choose, 1st or 2nd? Hehe :shifty:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering. Anyone who hasn't heard anything from their med school (No WL, just literal silence), can you like this post? I'm trying to see how common it is to determine if it's something that just happens or I'm just out of luck lmao. If you want you can also reply to this saying how long you've been waiting for?
For one school, nothing since January

Reactions: 1 users
3 cycles, 3 years on the support thread. Hoping for something different this year. Still, it is nice to see so many of you be accepted and so full of joy :)

• Sad
Reactions: 42 users
Looks like there was WL movement at a bunch of schools today, including UCSF, Cornell, Tufts, GW, EVMS, Drexel and Brown

Reactions: 22 users
Got my first acceptance today! I am so happy - After 3 Interviews, i got into 3 waitlists and finally got pulled off one today. This seems unreal! This very morning I started my re-app and i am so so glad i don’t have to go through it again. I’ve already done it twice lol! Crossing fingers i get off my top choice now

• Love
Reactions: 57 users
For those that have called admissions offices, what exactly do you say or ask?

I ask if there is a timeline I can expect to hear back from them, I also ask if Waitlists are ranked etc and just general questions about movement i.e. how much movement do they usually expect, trends on when movement tends to die down etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have called admissions offices, what exactly do you say or ask?
This is what I sent in my email: My name is (name). I am a currently waitlisted applicant at (school). I interviewed on (date) and was offered a place on the waitlist on (date). As we are now in May and past traffic day, I am wondering if you can offer any insight into waitlist movement and if movement and timing of decisions are any different this year due to COVID-19 circumstances. I appreciate any information you can share. Thank you for your continued consideration. I am very excited for the possible opportunity to attend (school). I hope you are all safe and healthy during this time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reactions: 6 users
This is what I sent in my email: My name is (name). I am a currently waitlisted applicant at (school). I interviewed on (date) and was offered a place on the waitlist on (date). As we are now in May and past traffic day, I am wondering if you can offer any insight into waitlist movement and if movement and timing of decisions are any different this year due to COVID-19 circumstances. I appreciate any information you can share. Thank you for your continued consideration. I am very excited for the possible opportunity to attend (school). I hope you are all safe and healthy during this time, and I look forward to hearing from you.
This is the perfect thing to say! I also recommend calling your admissions offices! Even if they are closed, leaving a message along these lines can prompt them to call you back and have a conversation with you. Any way you can keep reminding them of your name and your interest/intent is good, so when it comes down to deciding last minute picks, you might have a higher chance of being chosen. And before anybody comes for me saying this isn’t true, I know many schools where phone calls like this are considered additional statements of intent, and they CAN make a difference.

Reactions: 8 users
Do you guys think it would be okay to send a second letter of intent to the same school? I sent one early April and they’ve had a good amount of waitlist movement since then...idk if that’s bordering on too desperate though haha

Do you guys think it would be okay to send a second letter of intent to the same school? I sent one early April and they’ve had a good amount of waitlist movement since then...idk if that’s bordering on too desperate though haha
Go for it! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone else ever wonder what would’ve happened if you would’ve picked an interview date? Like maybe the candidates would’ve been completely different that day and you would’ve stood out better, or had a diff interviewer that you clicked w better. I know there’s actually NO point in these thoughts since we can’t change the past but ughhhhhh I wonder

Reactions: 7 users
I’m going to do the same thing in the next week or so!

Does anyone else ever wonder what would’ve happened if you would’ve picked an interview date? Like maybe the candidates would’ve been completely different that day and you would’ve stood out better, or had a diff interviewer that you clicked w better. I know there’s actually NO point in these thoughts since we can’t change the past but ughhhhhh I wonder
Don’t think like that :) be proud of what you did. And clicking with an interviewer is not correlated with acceptance!!

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t think like that :) be proud of what you did. And clicking with an interviewer is not correlated with acceptance!!
Can definitely agree with that. I thought my first-choice school's interview went extremely well; had a great experience with my interviewer and thought I had secured the bag. Been on the waitlist since February, whereas some of my friends who claim they didn't have friendly interviewers have already gotten off the waitlist. Everything happens for a reason my friends, move forwards and onwards :xf:

Reactions: 7 users
mafmed11 said:
Can definitely agree with that. I thought my first-choice school's interview went extremely well; had a great experience with my interviewer and thought I had secured the bag. Been on the waitlist since February, whereas some of my friends who claim they didn't have friendly interviewers have already gotten off the waitlist. Everything happens for a reason my friends, move forwards and onwards :xf:
:thumbup: :luck: :)

secure the bag haha

What is considered early, on time, and late for the WL at this point? Is June late / low chances to get off or not? I always thought most people came off in May after traffic day.
I would say that it’s impossible to generalize I’ll explain why. Take EVMS for example. After December they basically WL or reject everyone. Then when may 1 comes around they give out like 30-50 acceptances. Same with a school like vermont. I would say for both those schools we are past the peak of WL movement but there will be more to come. Now take a school like rush or VA tech that tend to over accept their class. If their WL movement Was to move, it probably had not happened yet. So to answer your q this really is school dependent. But if we were to generalize I would imagine almost if not all schools would be moving past their peak by June 1. Acceptances will still come in June, and a few in July.

What is considered early, on time, and late for the WL at this point? Is June late / low chances to get off or not? I always thought most people came off in May after traffic day.
We are past the peak movement that occurs after traffic day, but I think the next little waves will be around CTE deadlines in mid June and mid July for schools since that will essentially force applicants with an acceptance or multiple (due to WL movement) to commit to one place and withdraw from other WLs. I have a feeling that some schools may put some WL applicants with no acceptances on the backburner until after their CTE deadline since we have the flexibility to go there if we are offered an acceptance offer and fill out their last remaining seats. It probably won't be as much as the peak movement after traffic day though and could take a while but there's still a little hope imo for the ones that don't have an acceptance yet like me. The whole process is still very school dependent and unpredictable like TallDoctor96 said

Last edited:
We are past the peak movement that occurs after traffic day, but I think the next little waves will be around CTE deadlines in mid June and mid July for schools since that will essentially force applicants with an acceptance or multiple (due to WL movement) to commit to one place and withdraw from other WLs. I have a feeling that some schools may put some WL applicants with no acceptances on the backburner until after their CTE deadline since we have the flexibility to go there if we are offered an acceptance offer and fill out their last remaining seats. It probably won't be as much as the peak movement after traffic day though and could take a while but there's still a little hope imo for the ones that don't have an acceptance yet like me. The whole process is still very school dependent and unpredictable like TallDocter96 said
There’s definitely hope!!! Last year someone got off one of the waitlists I was sitting on like 1 day before orientation!

• Love
still no acceptances at this point and i have truly entered the point of constant nausea :’) im glad to have a long weekend but also am dying with the silence lol

Reactions: 18 users
What do you guys think about sending an update on a submitted manuscript? I know it has mixed views on it but are we at the point of desperate times here or should I wait? I think I’m hesitant because I just don’t want to annoy the adcoms- I’ve been on the waitlist at my top choice since dec and have sent two updates already. Also they’re a research powerhouse and I don’t want them to laugh in my face :(

What do you guys think about sending an update on a submitted manuscript? I know it has mixed views on it but are we at the point of desperate times here or should I wait? I think I’m hesitant because I just don’t want to annoy the adcoms- I’ve been on the waitlist at my top choice since dec and have sent two updates already. Also they’re a research powerhouse and I don’t want them to laugh in my face :(
Send it, don’t expect it to do anything

Getting excited that tomorrow is Monday then remembering it’s a holiday so there’s not really any chance of getting news. :confused:

• Sad
Reactions: 23 users

I would highly suggest sending it. You have nothing to lose. I sent all my transcript updates. Some say that it shows that you are still very interested.

Just got the acceptance call. Thank you everyone who has shared on this thread for the positivity and helpful tips. The day will come!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 40 users
Just got the acceptance call. Thank you everyone who has shared on this thread for the positivity and helpful tips. The day will come!!
On Sunday night at 11:50 pm?

• Haha
I doubt they'd be annoyed. I'm pretty sure the admissions team is prepared to be bombarded with emails around this time LOL. You have been waiting since december. You have every right to update them on your progress especially if it can help with their decision in accepting you. You have nothing to lose, send it in!

This is my third cycle. I got waitlisted in 2017 in November (for 2018) and didn't get in. I am currently on 2 waitlists with no A. One is HPWL. Seems like a fourth MD cycle is low probability. Thinking it's time to fire in a DO app for 2021, and maybe UQ-Ochsner too for Feb start (I actually have been accepted to this program before but did not accept)..
Any thoughts?! Anyone else in a similar boat?
Thanks for the camaraderie and misery in company. Crossed fingers for us all..

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
If you go to med school at UQ-Ochsner you will most likely only be allowed to practice medicine in Australia.

Australian docs typically have a MBBS instead of a MD degree, which makes it difficult, if not impossible to practice medicine in the US.
People with MBBS can practice in the US. However, they have to go through American residency first. With Step going P/F, it’ll be more difficult to get a spot in competition with American MDs and DOs, but not impossible.

People with MBBS can practice in the US. However, they have to go through American residency first. With Step going P/F, it’ll be more difficult to get a spot in competition with American MDs and DOs, but not impossible.
You make it sound so easy. You have to be approved to even be able to apply for US residency. My friend from somolia waited 5 years for approval to apply through ERAS, and he said he was one of the fastest ones. Not every international doctor can just sign up. There’s a long slow process.

Not exactly, I have met a guy who did an ENT fellowship in a top program and he told me he was in some sort of process that he didn't need to spend another five years for NET residency but could get the license and full privilege to practice. He also told me there was another current chair in a top university (Pitt or peen I don't remember) who had been a figure and giant name in the field before he came to the US. He didn't do any training in the US but was granted licensure to practice
source: I saw the webpage of this chair he told me, and I could confirm he didn't do any regular training in the US but was practicing clinically, I don't remember what the school was tho.

This is my third cycle. I got waitlisted in 2017 in November (for 2018) and didn't get in. I am currently on 2 waitlists with no A. One is HPWL. Seems like a fourth MD cycle is low probability. Thinking it's time to fire in a DO app for 2021, and maybe UQ-Ochsner too for Feb start (I actually have been accepted to this program before but did not accept)..
Any thoughts?! Anyone else in a similar boat?
Thanks for the camaraderie and misery in company. Crossed fingers for us all..

I have a couple of suggestions. Tried to PM you but I couldn’t...
PM me if you like.

You make it sound so easy. You have to be approved to even be able to apply for US residency. My friend from somolia waited 5 years for approval to apply through ERAS, and he said he was one of the fastest ones. Not every international doctor can just sign up. There’s a long slow process.
Not exactly, I have met a guy who did an ENT fellowship in a top program and he told me he was in some sort of process that he didn't need to spend another five years for NET residency but could get the license and full privilege to practice. He also told me there was another current chair in a top university (Pitt or peen I don't remember) who had been a figure and giant name in the field before he came to the US. He didn't do any training in the US but was granted licensure to practice
source: I saw the webpage of this chair he told me, and I could confirm he didn't do any regular training in the US but was practicing clinically, I don't remember what the school was tho.
Nowhere did I say it was easy, just a possibility. And I do understand there are multiple pathways to practicing in the US that are based on extraneous factors (ie. citizenship, visa status, if a residency is already completed, etc). I was not trying to be ignorant, but rather hopeful. I know of quite a few MBBS graduates who are practicing here in the US.

Nowhere did I say it was easy, just a possibility. And I do understand there are multiple pathways to practicing in the US that are based on extraneous factors (ie. citizenship, visa status, if a residency is already completed, etc). I was not trying to be ignorant, but rather hopeful. I know of quite a few MBBS graduates who are practicing here in the US.
great as long as it is understood that it is a very difficult and long pathway :) I agree that it can very much be done!

Hey guys, how helpful do you think it would be to send an email to adcoms at the school I'm waitlisted at...my significant other was accepted at this school and we have been in a long-term relationship for over 5 years. We were hoping to be in the same class. There was no where on secondaries at this school to list a significant other like some schools have. Would this hold any weight in the admissions process?

Hey guys, how helpful do you think it would be to send an email to adcoms at the school I'm waitlisted at...my significant other was accepted at this school and we have been in a long-term relationship for over 5 years. We were hoping to be in the same class. There was no where on secondaries at this school to list a significant other like some schools have. Would this hold any weight in the admissions process?
Send a letter of intent to the school and include this factor (among others) as the reason you would not hesitate to attend this school should you be accepted off the waitlist.

Send a letter of intent to the school and include this factor (among others) as the reason you would not hesitate to attend this school should you be accepted off the waitlist.
Do y’all just email the letter of intent? Or is there usually a special place to turn it in. What about updated transcripts?

Do y’all just email the letter of intent? Or is there usually a special place to turn it in. What about updated transcripts?

It’s school dependent. For most schools you’d email the admissions committee. However some schools have an option to upload files in their portal and Include updates/letters as an option

If you don't have anything significant to say then it's better to not say anything. No one likes to waste time reading insignificant and monotonous update letters/ LOI.

• Dislike
I'm in the exact same situation but had already sent a letter of intent in February (without including that my SO had been accepted) and I don't dare send another.. From what I've been told, adcoms seem to take it into consideration more if you are engaged/married but it still may be worth a try as there is really nothing to lose at this point!