2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview invite today! Interview next Tuesday😆

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, what is WL movement like? Are we pre-ranked and Is your ranking altered if you’re IS and interviewed through TCC? Thanks!
I don't have exact numbers, but at the PreDoc session last Wednesday, Jill Harman (Sr. Dir. Admissions) stated that about 70-80 students are called for a spot from the WL. Certain factors may have made this tad higher than other years, so don't put all hope into such high waitlist movement, even if the odds are good. As far as rankings are concerned, I am not sure, nor do I know if this applies to TCC or just traditional admissions.

Mid-March is almost the latest one can expect an II. Searching through the previous years' threads reveals that usually interviews go until early-mid April. Getting off the WL can happen anytime up until the day/week before new student orientation (this does happen, years ago, a coworker of mine got the call from Dr. Schriner on a Thursday night, and the orientation BBQ was Monday. Said co-worker is now a PGY-1 at my hospital. He's a lucky duck, he went to OU for undergrad and again for med school).

Again, take caution. Things might change year-to-year depending on COVID or even other unforeseen internal factors that Admissions must navigate. Whatever happened in years past is not necessarily how things will pan out in future cycles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There is a groupme for the class of 2027 if anyone hasn't joined yet

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview and what school did you get the A?
How do you know what school you are interviewing?
Im assuming Dublin and Cleveland are pretty much full ash this point right?
Got an A for Athens and I interviewed today! :) you do 1 interview for all 3 campuses and then they try to get you into your top choice

I was wondering if a current student could talk about the new curriculum change that they have here. There was someone here that sent me a message a while back but they deleted their account.
Do ppl know if classes are recorded. I do hear that they are mandatory as well as a semi casual dress code.

I was wondering if a current student could talk about the new curriculum change that they have here. There was someone here that sent me a message a while back but they deleted their account.
Do ppl know if classes are recorded. I do hear that they are mandatory as well as a semi casual dress code.
Classes are recorded and there is mandatory attendance and a buisness casual dress code. All I can say about the curriculum here publicly is that it's pass fail with a top 25% distinction. It is very hard to fail here but there are things that can affect your chances of getting into the top 25% that are outside of your control. If you just care about passing and want to stand out via board scores/ research/ volunteering this is a good place to do so.

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning for 2/28! IS ORM uGPA 3.3x with strong upward trend, graduate GPA 4.0, 50x MCAT

I was complete in Aug, almost gave up hope

Reactions: 7 users
Got WL :(
Im on a roll. This is my second WL in two days. I think I peaked after my first 2 acceptances lol
As part of my WL, they did graciously accept me into their postbacc program which I would have attended if I didn't have any other A's.

Im starting to think that Ohio doesnt want me since 2 of my 3 WL are from the state. Interview was amazing though. I have nothing bad to say about the presentation and my interviewers. Im assuming my overall GPA is my red flag.

I hope others had a better outcome to their interview!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Me neither. Last Interviews in April. Heard from other places ? Have you sent an Update letter/ letter of interest?
No, nothing from other places yet either. Yes, I have sent them and will be sending another one. Is just, I really thought I would get into this school by now. I don't know why I kept my hopes too high.

Last edited:
Still no verdict on II or otherwise. Would appreciate advice from any current students or accepted applicants:
  1. Giving a pre-II update letter to the school.... yes or no?
    1. If yes, would a job promotion be considered a "fluff" update? It's a similar job title but comes with increased responsibilities and peer mentoring duties. It's not anything riveting like a new test score, grade, or new peer-reviewed publication (those have since dried up)
  2. I'm doing a campus visit very soon to meet with some current students and faculty, any advice? I'm having a hard time containing my excitement but would appreciate any advice on good questions to ask or places to visit.

completed 7/31
II 2/14
Interviewed 2/28
Accepted 3/1 OU-HCOM Dublin
LM 67
ORM
In-state

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Does OU do silent Rs because that's what it's feeling like :'(

alrightly long time lurker first time poster. got an interview in 2 weeks and I'm pumped after reading these comments.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel the same way.
My impression is that they don't. I think they actually wait until a decision is made before sending any further communications.

if you are truly interested, maybe send them an update letter?

They seem to be pretty methodical and holistic, from what I gather.

Has anyone in state ever sent emails and not gotten a reply?

What time of day are we typically seeing II's sent out? Also, which days of the week are typical?

Hi everyone. Ill be applying this upcoming cycle. I was preparing my application and I was wondering how many DO shadowing hours is good enough? Do we need like 100 MD and 100 DO hours???

Hi everyone. Ill be applying this upcoming cycle. I was preparing my application and I was wondering how many DO shadowing hours is good enough? Do we need like 100 MD and 100 DO hours???
There isn’t really a number. It depends on how well you write your activities and how will you describe the shadowing experience that you had

II just now. Pinch me, this is my third application cycle.

Super excited about this school.

Excuse me, I'm on break so I need to go find an empty conference room at work to scream in.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
II just now. Pinch me, this is my third application cycle.

Super excited about this school.

Excuse me, I'm on break so I need to go find an empty conference room at work to scream in.
are you in state?

are you in state?
Yes, happily. I plan to stay in-state and do some type of family med/PCP. My family and friends are here, so this is the community I want to stay and practice in.