2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sigh. losing hope waiting. I hope we see movement this week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm slumped for a whole other reason: just got my parental leave paperwork to fill out and turn in and I see "In the event I do not return to work for at least 12 months after my approved leave or I change my status to a benefit ineligible position within 12 months, I agree to reimburse UPMC for the Paid Parental Leave benefit. I understand that available and vested PTO will first be applied towards this reimbursement."
Man, I am tired of being in the red in this medical school pursuit, and having pay limited by the jobs I qualify for in the medical field. I might just bail for a year and keep applying while working in another field of work. I'll cite "bills to pay" when schools ask me why I stopped working in medicine. :bullcrap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm slumped for a whole other reason: just got my parental leave paperwork to fill out and turn in and I see "In the event I do not return to work for at least 12 months after my approved leave or I change my status to a benefit ineligible position within 12 months, I agree to reimburse UPMC for the Paid Parental Leave benefit. I understand that available and vested PTO will first be applied towards this reimbursement."
Man, I am tired of being in the red in this medical school pursuit, and having pay limited by the jobs I qualify for in the medical field. I might just bail for a year and keep applying while working in another field of work. I'll cite "bills to pay" when schools ask me why I stopped working in medicine. :bullcrap:
i know a lot of people who worked in pharmacy and labs for their gap years! its a grind and even harder to balance with all the pre-med stuff but hopefully schools see your situation and the work you've already put in and understand

i know a lot of people who worked in pharmacy and labs for their gap years! its a grind and even harder to balance with all the pre-med stuff but hopefully schools see your situation and the work you've already put in and understand
I just might. the switchboard operator is getting paid more than me rn. I'll be using this leave to figure out a better paying gap year job at this rate.

Reactions: 1 users
Are the institutional scholarships submissions closed?

Are the institutional scholarships submissions closed?
Yes, unfortunately they close somewhat early. I came off the waitlist in the summer of my first year and I wasn't able to get any.

accepted to Cleveland today! i can’t believe it i’ve been crying since the call

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
accepted to Cleveland today! i can’t believe it i’ve been crying since the call
Ayoooo! Congrats!!! So happy for you!! Welcome to the HCOM fam!

Hopefully the rest of you will hear similar good news soon :)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats!!! i have no doubt it is well deserved. mind sharing stats?

thank you! not great stats! don’t wanna doxx myself on here but below 500 MCAT, good-ish GPA. I attended lots of hcom events and have a lot of clinical experience and research which definitely helped me.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
the waiting is quite possibly the worst part of being premed that I have experienced. Ready for this to be over tbh. Are they still taking people off the waitlist?

the waiting is quite possibly the worst part of being premed that I have experienced. Ready for this to be over tbh. Are they still taking people off the waitlist?
Remember they historically have taken people off the waitlist up until the week before orientation.

Orientation begins 8/17.

I know it's tough. Hang in there

• Care
missed a call from Ohio this afternoon. called back and got an automated message starting with "congratulations" followed by an ad for male enhancement meds. what did I do to deserve this :spam:

• Angry
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Got off the WL today for Athens! I will be attending a different in-state Ohio institution though. I hope it goes to one of you :) good luck!

• Care
I got off the waitlist today and was admitted to Athens campus around 12:40 pm! Looks like things are moving. I was hoping for Dublin, but telling them that I was open to Athens campus ahead of time helped. They said there’s not a lot of movement at Dublin campus, which makes sense since it’s a smaller class size. Hoping for the best for everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Could someone message me the accepted student group me link?

Got off the WL today for Athens! I will be attending a different in-state Ohio institution though. I hope it goes to one of you :) good luck!
I'll gladly accept it, gabby. Hoping for this week or next on my end.

I got off the waitlist today and was admitted to Athens campus around 12:40 pm! Looks like things are moving. I was hoping for Dublin, but telling them that I was open to Athens campus ahead of time helped. They said there’s not a lot of movement at Dublin campus, which makes sense since it’s a smaller class size. Hoping for the best for everyone!
Congratulations 🎉

PSA: For now, do not buy any textbooks from the required book list. They will either be provided by the school or can be found for free. More info to follow at orientation...

PSA: For now, do not buy any textbooks from the required book list. They will either be provided by the school or can be found for free. More info to follow at orientation...
if I may add, there's this excellent resource called (lib)rary (gen)es(.is) that is barebones but has a plethora of digital resources. just need to search, select mirror [1], then cloudfare. got all of my undergrad, mcat, and post bacc books through this resource.

I love that site. There used to be z library, but it got taken down. I haven’t checked to see if it’s been replaced.

Why do I feel like I’m one of the only ones that didn’t get anything from them yet?

Im With You GIF by GIPHY News

It's purgatory I tell you. Purgatory.

For those of you in that groupme, did anyone drop their seat recently in the last 24 hours or so?

Oh man, I hope some seats opened up. I’m losing it now.

Current students, can anyone chime in about the Student Health Insurance (via UHC Student Policy AKA literally the devil) versus going on Medicaid? Pricing differences, and quality and coverage differences?

Also, what about food stamps/SNAP to help defray grocery costs?

Current students, can anyone chime in about the Student Health Insurance (via UHC Student Policy AKA literally the devil) versus going on Medicaid? Pricing differences, and quality and coverage differences?

Also, what about food stamps/SNAP to help defray grocery costs?
sorry not a student, but as someone who has been on both during school with a fam and kids, say yes to any gov't help, Medicaid and SNAP. they are both worth while

So am i out of look if i haven’t gotten an interview yet if people are already being waitlisted…

No, that just means they had an interview already. People are interviewed until March/April