Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine- Part THREE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D.I on hold again? What did he do:laugh:

Okay what did Inviz do?

Drop Kick is "on hold" too!

Sweet salami!

Members don't see this ad.

LOL! I know. Some people just don't enjoy their sense of humor.:rolleyes: :smuggrin:

i love sarcastic humor:D
I think the problem is that ppl get offended because they take everything too serious.
Everyone should chill out. There are more serious things in life then Dr.I makeing sarcastic comments about you;) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the problem is that ppl get offended because they take everything too serious.
Everyone should chill out. There are more serious things in life then Dr.I makeing sarcastic comments about you;) :laugh:

Absolutely!:thumbup: People should just relax and have some fun around here.:D

He posted on a PCOM-GA thread last night when I was on and it was pretty late, but he was still normal status. It must of happened in the wee hours of the morn.

He posted on a PCOM-GA last night when I was on and it was pretty late, but he was still normal status. It must of happened in the wee hours of the morn.

Apparently, the thread or posts were removed. I think it did happen late.:eek:

I told him to behave. I wasn't on last night to keep him in line and look what happened. :smuggrin: :laugh:

I am sure he will be back soon enough though.

I have expressed on many occassions that it is a poor idea to use SDN as a support group because it is easy to offend someone anonymously, yet so many people continue to do so. People who seek therapy on SDN are very likely setting themselves up to be hurt. However, those people are not going away, and the right to be or not be offended is not guaranteed by law.

Sarcasm can be a very vicious weapon. I know that because I've used it a number of times in my life. Used sparingly, it can add a lot to the conversation, but used in excess, can be a sign of a more serious problem. It's very easy to say, "You need to grow some thicker skin", "lighten up", or "boys will be boys." But, it's much harder to understand that, even though it may not be intentional, you are hurting a substantial number of people by your actions.

When someone is told to "tone down" their behavior, yet they feel a compulsion to write posts that say, more or less, "I could humiliate you with my great wit and sarcastic banter, but I am restraining myself", or "I'm going to hold my tongue on that one", then it's just as bad as stinging them with the sarcasm. The effect is the same; only the words have changed. If you're truly trying to "hold your tongue" then you won't be posting a reply at all. You'll just let it pass without comment.

I read his posts from the past and understand many of the problems/pressures invoked by his family and situation. He's angry; I get that. But taking it out on others is no way to deal with the underlying situation, nor is enabling his behavior a good way to deal with it. People need outlets for their frustration, but there are better ways. If your behavior, regardless of whether or not it is intentional, is hurting other people, then it needs to be changed. It's that simple.

i know this has nothing to do with DCOM but i just thought we all can use some good laugh:laugh:
05n.jpg

I have expressed on many occassions that it is a poor idea to use SDN as a support group because it is easy to offend someone anonymously, yet so many people continue to do so. People who seek therapy on SDN are very likely setting themselves up to be hurt. However, those people are not going away, and the right to be or not be offended is not guaranteed by law.

Sarcasm can be a very vicious weapon. I know that because I've used it a number of times in my life. Used sparingly, it can add a lot to the conversation, but used in excess, can be a sign of a more serious problem. It's very easy to say, "You need to grow some thicker skin", "lighten up", or "boys will be boys." But, it's much harder to understand that, even though it may not be intentional, you are hurting a substantial number of people by your actions.

When someone is told to "tone down" their behavior, yet they feel a compulsion to write posts that say, more or less, "I could humiliate you with my great wit and sarcastic banter, but I am restraining myself", or "I'm going to hold my tongue on that one", then it's just as bad as stinging them with the sarcasm. The effect is the same; only the words have changed. If you're truly trying to "hold your tongue" then you won't be posting a reply at all. You'll just let it pass without comment.

I read his posts from the past and understand many of the problems/pressures invoked by his family and situation. He's angry; I get that. But taking it out on others is no way to deal with the underlying situation, nor is enabling his behavior a good way to deal with it. People need outlets for their frustration, but there are better ways. If your behavior, regardless of whether or not it is intentional, is hurting other people, then it needs to be changed. It's that simple.

WOW! You totally over-analyzed that post.:eek:

this is directed to all who were offended by Dr.I's posts:

all i can say that if one takes everything so serious that Dr.I's sarcasim is offending to them...they are going to have a hell of a life as a doctor:rolleyes:
There is a space for being serious but for God's sake chances are that as a student/resident/doctor you are going to be yelled at gazilion times a day, you will face drunks who will try beat you up, pissed of moms who do not like your proposed treatment, wifes who act like they know everything about heart pacers and try to undermine your authority, people who will threaten you with law suit and coligues who are competetive aholes. And the problem is that unlike Dr.I on the anonymous forums you will not have a choice of banning them out.

If at the end of the day you take every SINGLE thing said to you word for word you will either die of heart attack at the age of 35 or you will end up in the mental facility.
Lighten up a little. Who cares what other ppl say. You should be the one who knows your true value.
Dr.I often attacked me but i found it funny and never taken it seriously... and he is really not a bad guy. It's just that he has this evil SDN persona. I find it cool because i take it with a grain of salt. I suggest you do the same. It will make your life sooooo much easier.

all i can say that if one takes everything so serious that Dr.I's sarcasim is offending to them...they are going to have a hell of a life as a doctor:rolleyes:
There is a space for being serious but for God's sake chances are that as a student/resident/doctor you are going to be yelled at gazilion times a day, you will face drunks who will try beat you up, pissed of moms who do not like your proposed treatment, wifes who act like they know everything about heart pacers and try to undermine your authority, people who will threaten you with law suit and coligues who are competetive aholes. And the problem is that unlike Dr.I on the anonymous forums you will not have a choice of banning them out.

If at the end of the day you take every SINGLE thing said to you word for word you will either die of heart attack at the age of 35 or you will end up in the mental facility.
Lighten up a little. Who cares what other ppl say. You should be the one who knows your true value.
Dr.I often attacked me but i found it funny and never taken it seriously... and he is really not a bad guy. It's just that he has this evil SDN persona. I find it cool because i take it with a grain of salt. I suggest you do the same. It will make your life sooooo much easier.

:thumbup: :D

Members don't see this ad :)

It's true you will have to deal with difficult people in your career; however, you are completely within your rights to discharge an abusive patient or to refuse to treat someone who has the intention of causing you harm. We're doctors, not punching bags. Sarcasm can be funny, or make a point, but Dr. I's indiscriminate use of sarcasm suggests his intention is primarily to cut people down.

It seems like he craves the attention he gets from being the "bad guy" on SDN, which is rather sad, like watching a comedian with one schtick.

It's true you will have to deal with difficult people in your career; however, you are completely within your rights to discharge an abusive patient or to refuse to treat someone who has the intention of causing you harm. We're doctors, not punching bags. Sarcasm can be funny, or make a point, but Dr. I's indiscriminate use of sarcasm suggests his intention is primarily to cut people down.

It seems like he craves the attention he gets from being the "bad guy" on SDN, which is rather sad, like watching a comedian with one schtick.

you are even more within your rights to put Dr.I on your ignore list if his posts are anoying to you.
We all know that he tends to drag over ppl who try to argue with him.
I say just use this nice little button with "ignore" on it:D .
And as far as i know discharging a patient who's only abuse is being sarcastic would be kinda silly.:p ;)
Anyways i do not want to argue here over Dr.I so to loosen up the atmosphere let's listen to some music :D
beta215.gif
beta155.gif

you are even more within your rights to put Dr.I on your ignore list if his posts are anoying to you.
We all know that he tends to drag over ppl who try to argue with him.
I say just use this nice little button with "ignore" on it:D .
And as far as i know discharging a patient who's only abuse is being sarcastic would be kinda silly.:p ;)
Anyways i do not want to argue here over Dr.I so to loosen up the atmosphere let's listen to some music :D
beta215.gif
beta155.gif

LMAO!!! Nice kitties!:laugh:

Im such a dork, I ended up buying all the books for the first semester today because I had nothing better to do lol... I guess now at least Ill have an idea about what Ive gotten myself into... Amazon definately had some discount deals.

amazon is much cheaper, i'll second that. i'm waiting until june to buy my stuff to see if anyone puts their books from year 1 up

Im such a dork, I ended up buying all the books for the first semester today because I had nothing better to do lol... I guess now at least Ill have an idea about what Ive gotten myself into... Amazon definately had some discount deals.

No you are not a dork. The only reason why I am hesitating to start buying books is because I'm still trying to figure out how I would bring them from CA to TN, whether I would just stick them in a box and send it to myself or if I should put them in my car with me when my father and I drive out there in July. I'll probably buy the books used on Amazon as well.

On another note, the DCOM website has updated information on the apartments. I think I have an idea of what the rooms will look like. It is basically a hotel room with instead of 2 queens, there is 1 queen and a kitchen area, at least for the 1 bedroom. Its nice that it comes with a convection microwave/oven. I was thinking I'd have to buy myself a toaster oven in order to bake things.

I've been looking at the website for the Cumberland Gap National Park and I just find it so beautiful. There is even an early settlement within the park which I think would be a great outing in order to go see. I think when I get there, I am going to wake up in the mornings at around 5am and just do a morning hike/walk/jog every morning for an hour or so. We should form an outdoor activities club for those of us who want to do that sort of thing. I think if I get that morning activity in, it'll give me more energy for the rest of the day.

On another note, the DCOM website has updated information on the apartments. I think I have an idea of what the rooms will look like. It is basically a hotel room with instead of 2 queens, there is 1 queen and a kitchen area, at least for the 1 bedroom. Its nice that it comes with a convection microwave/oven. I was thinking I'd have to buy myself a toaster oven in order to bake things.

Hi Cat48100. I believe the "convection microwave/oven" that they speak of should be enough for your baking needs. It is a new type of convection/micro combination that will either nuke or bake. A huge plus with convection ovens -it takes far, far less baking time. I have attached a link for you about convection ovens http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00042.asp

Hopefully you can save your toaster oven money for vacation! :laugh:

amazon is much cheaper, i'll second that. i'm waiting until june to buy my stuff to see if anyone puts their books from year 1 up

very good idea.
I have been buying and selling books on amazon for years. This semester i saved around 400 and i am sure that medschool books are much more expensive.
Half.com also is great for savings sometimes even cheaper then amazon. Another one is abebooks.com.
The best is to search by ISBN number if you know it.
And if you wait till the very last minute you may buy texts very very cheap.

Hi Cat48100. I believe the "convection microwave/oven" that they speak of should be enough for your baking needs. It is a new type of convection/micro combination that will either nuke or bake. A huge plus with convection ovens -it takes far, far less baking time. I have attached a link for you about convection ovens http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00042.asp

Hopefully you can save your toaster oven money for vacation! :laugh:

Well, what I meant to say in my previous post was that before I knew that that they were going to put in a convection microwave/oven, I was going to get a toaster oven. But now since they are putting one of those in, I am no longer looking into it.

Well, what I meant to say in my previous post was that before I knew that that they were going to put in a convection microwave/oven, I was going to get a toaster oven. But now since they are putting one of those in, I am no longer looking into it.

That's good. I wondered how they were going to get all the stuff into those kitchens! They sound like they are going to be great apartments.

very good idea.
I have been buying and selling books on amazon for years. This semester i saved around 400 and i am sure that medschool books are much more expensive.
Half.com also is great for savings sometimes even cheaper then amazon. Another one is abebooks.com.
The best is to search by ISBN number if you know it.
And if you wait till the very last minute you may buy texts very very cheap.

www.half.com is great too. I will never again by a textbook from a college bookstore. Retail is for suckers and non-Cubs/Soxs/Bears/Rangers fans! :smuggrin:

So, have all the people taking boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, puppies, kitties, fishies, reptiles, rodents kids down to Harrogate with them worked everying out?

How is the house and job hunting going for you coupled people? Anyone thinking of roughing it without the family for a year or two?

So, have all the people taking boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, puppies, kitties, fishies, reptiles, rodents kids down to Harrogate with them worked everying out?

How is the house and job hunting going for you coupled people? Anyone thinking of roughing it without the family for a year or two?

Nowhere near "all figured out" at this point. Moving 50-100 miles is a LOT different than moving cross-country I've found... :)

House listed, want it sold NOW. Jobs? She can't seem to actually get in touch with anyone down there!

I've seriously considered just heading down there by myself. :) Would make things much simpler.

We haven't really started yet. We will be putting our condo up for sale sometime in May and want to be in TN by the beginning of July. We are still debating where to live. It would be great to be within minutes of DCOM, but then rotations are far away, so you have to look somewhere in between. I don't want to rent b/c I don't feel like having to move again after two years. So I think we will be looking at places like LaFollette, Jacksboro, Maynardville, etc. These places are placed nicely in the middle of everything. Plus, it will be easier for the Mrs. to find a job b/c she can look anywhere from Knoxville to Middlesboro. We will start searching hard after April 15 - that damned tax season :smuggrin:

I don't believe my girlfriend is going to go with so i'll be soloing it.

I was thinking about buying, but after seeing the rotation list, I think renting will grant me a lot more freedom to be close to school the first 2 years, and then move around third and fourth year.

And I don't think I could live away from the wife and baby.

Hi guys, I was wondering if anybody knows any details about the DCOM curriculum - it's lecture based and follows a systems approach, correct? Is there an attendance policy, streaming lectures, etc.?

I am trying to advise someone on DO schools for the next cycle, and DCOM is in the mix. Appreciate your help.

I don't say this very often, but I am glad to be single! :)
That would be such an ordeal to move a family.

As for the living situation, I've lived in 3 apartments in 3 years. So the idea of living in the student apartments for 2 years is pretty appealing to me. :D

firemedictodo - what did you put for an AOA# on that form?

Hey nmperett

I just put student there and LMU-DCOM. I think that will suffice.
:)

Once you matriculate (probably during your orientation period) you'll be given to form to fill out and you'll get an AOA number. Your membership as a student costs nothing. You'll also automatically get both journals for free.

That would be such an ordeal to move a family.

As for the living situation, I've lived in 3 apartments in 3 years. So the idea of living in the student apartments for 2 years is pretty appealing to me. :D

LOL...when i worked before college i would live in 5 different places in a month:eek: usually sharing room with ppl from all over the Mother Earth:laugh: .
I already moved about 4 times in last two years so i guess i would not have this kinda problem if it comes to it in a year from now.
PPL I ENVY YOU ALL SO MUCH NOW!!!
i wish i was worrying now about moving, books, nearest Chipotle, having to live far away from my bf etc etc...
and here i am...in the middle of semester and still with stupid MCAT to go:( :( :(

It does have its benefits. I am thinking an apartment definitely. When I went and looked at the student apartments they looked way too small for the money. If they were $250 a month I'd be more interested, but at $550 you should be able to get a good apartment plus pay for cable/internet. At least that way I will have more space for uh...studying. :eek:

i wish i was worrying now about moving, books, nearest Chipotle, having to live far away from my bf etc etc...
and here i am...in the middle of semester and still with stupid MCAT to go:( :( :(

Maybe i'm just a naive southerner at this point, but what is Chipotle? I've heard of a sauce that's Chipotle, but that's about it. I'm getting the hint that it's a form of Mexican food?

Maybe i'm just a naive southerner at this point, but what is Chipotle? I've heard of a sauce that's Chipotle, but that's about it. I'm getting the hint that it's a form of Mexican food?

it's a mexican chain restaurant. Sort of a mexican fast food restaurant. yuuummmmyyy:D

It does have its benefits. I am thinking an apartment definitely. When I went and looked at the student apartments they looked way too small for the money. If they were $250 a month I'd be more interested, but at $550 you should be able to get a good apartment plus pay for cable/internet. At least that way I will have more space for uh...studying. :eek:

Studying, sure, sure. Wink, nod ;)
*Sunny laughing cause she knows NP want room for his wimmins and all the LMU coeds he plans on corrupting*

I don't know if I'd call it Mexican food, but the specialty is a spicy, VERY FATTENING AND CALORIE LOADED, burrito. They are HUGE.

Just had one for lunch today...they are very good, but very bad for you.

Until a year or so ago, I figured they were at least somewhat healthy (better than going to a burger joint, for instance), but have since learned different.

Even the rice has fat! :)

I do think $550 is a little much, but I love knowing that if something breaks someone is going to fix it in a timely manner. With some apartments, the management doesn't care if it takes a week to fix the toilet, and I doubt student apartments will be like that.

As for the lack of "study space" ;) I sort of enjoy a cozy environment.
Plus, I am a total pack rat if I have too much extra space! :D

Dr. Jamie - welcome! I was on vacation and just caught up with SDN and I'm in for drinking cheap wine with you!![/quote]

Thanks! Where was your vacation?
You can tell me all about over a bottle of nice wine (which of course needs to cost less than $5!) :D

I don't know if I'd call it Mexican food, but the specialty is a spicy, VERY FATTENING AND CALORIE LOADED, burrito. They are HUGE.

Just had one for lunch today...they are very good, but very bad for you.

Until a year or so ago, I figured they were at least somewhat healthy (better than going to a burger joint, for instance), but have since learned different.

Even the rice has fat! :)

There's nothing like those preventative care D.O.s! :D
I've never eaten at Chipotle, but I sure am going to miss my favorite local mexican restaurant. :( I get a taco salad from there at least twice a week!

I am starting to get a little nervous about all of the above - we went to visit last week and my husband had an interview for a job that we thought was in pineville but is really in london (an hour north!). Is anyone else panicking about jobs for spouses?

Also, the rental properties available seem fairly limited, but we can't live in the student housing because of our dog. Has anybody found anything to rent yet, or are all of you that are not living in the old hotel buying?

On a brighter note, the school looked like it was coming along well! I am getting very excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.