2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,

The old TCC chat is no longer in use. Please let me know if you would like to be added to the new TCC chat.
Hey I'd like to join as well plz!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, current OMS-I at the Cleveland Campus as well as TCC Class of '25. Procrastinating studying rn, so if you have any questions about TCC or just HCOM in general, lmk!
I would love to hear about their experiences with the flipped classroom format + live lecture broadcast from Athens. I was accepted to a Dublin campus. Not sure how I feel about this one as the instructor who is lecturing will not be in the room, maybe I am misunderstanding some things. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to hear about their experiences with the flipped classroom format + live lecture broadcast from Athens. I was accepted to a Dublin campus. Not sure how I feel about this one as the instructor who is lecturing will not be in the room, maybe I am misunderstanding some things. Thanks in advance!
Hey sorry it's taken me forever to reply, haven't checked this in a while.

Flipped classroom is...meh. Sometimes you have the time to prepare in advance for the iRAT/gRAT (assessment that quizzes how well you prepped ahead) and sometimes you just don't. Those don't matter as much, the exams are everything. But honestly, with good time management it's not bad.

You are a little bit misunderstood. We don't always have Athens present and we watch. Sometimes Dublin is the presenting campus and sometimes Cleveland is. I would say it's a pretty even split. And sometimes we don't have a broadcast at all and we just do local lectures. They're actually doing some surveys and research to see if we should be totally local, so we'll see about that. I don't mind the broadcast. The technology is pretty seamless and it's cool to see other people from the other campuses. It's also really easy to get the attention of the instructor and have them answer your question in real time. It doesn't feel like we are all hours away sometimes. I even prefer a lot of the specific instructors on Dublin's campus (Dr. Sheridan in particular is great!)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys first year here and some advice I would give is to definetly try and take human anatomy before going here if you can help it. People that took it in undergrad had a way easier time with it than those who didn't.

Hey everyone I am a first year at OU-HCOM and we are done for the Holidays — just thought I would hop on here and say if anyone has any questions about the school feel free to message me figured I would offer since I have some time off!

Hey everyone I am a first year at OU-HCOM and we are done for the Holidays — just thought I would hop on here and say if anyone has any questions about the school feel free to message me figured I would offer since I have some time off!
Hi!! Do you know anyone who applied early and got an interview /got in after the new year??? This is my top choice school and I'm getting worried. Thanks so much.

Hi!! Do you know anyone who applied early and got an interview /got in after the new year??? This is my top choice school and I'm getting worried. Thanks so much.
Hello! Yes that happened for a lot of people there is a lot of movement on waitlist especially in may/June/July — just keep emailing admissions and advocate for yourself/update them on what you are doing

Reactions: 1 user
Do they offer any II's after Christmas and the New Year?

waitlisted and interviewed for tcc. Is there waitlist movement only in april?? or can I be taken off of it before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone still waiting to hear back? Completed my secondary back in August and nothing so far

A friend of mine who applied to OU-HCOM earlier last summer recently told me that there's a "mandatory contract" for out-of-state applicants to sign and submit along with their secondary applications. Otherwise, their applications won't be considered as complete.

Since its terms sounded to me a bit odd, I wanted to share a part of it here for our fellow out-of-state applicants before they invested their hard-earned-cash onto their primary application to OU-HCOM if they don't genuinely plan to stay in Ohio for at least 5 years after graduating medical school.

Since I haven't seen such a contract in any of my applications, my reaction might be a bit naive. Who knows, there might exist other schools with even more strict application rules.

1672801358011.png

A friend of mine who applied to OU-HCOM earlier last summer recently told me that there's a "mandatory contract" for out-of-state applicants to sign and submit along with their secondary applications. Otherwise, their applications won't be considered as complete.

Since its terms sounded to me a bit odd, I wanted to share a part of it here for our fellow out-of-state applicants before they invested their hard-earned-cash onto their primary application to OU-HCOM if they don't genuinely plan to stay in Ohio for at least 5 years after graduating medical school.

Since I haven't seen such a contract in any of my applications, my reaction might be a bit naive. Who knows, there might exist other schools with even more strict application rules.

View attachment 364214

this is a topic every year. pretty sure it always gets waived.

Thanks for the clarification. It was the first time I heard about it, thus I was a bit shocked.
Current OMS 1 at OU-HCOM I am instate but have a lot of out of state friends and they got it waived

Hello everyone! I just received an interview invite for the 17th. If anyone who has gone through the interview process this year or previous years could send any advice or tips, that would be much appreciated! Thank you!

For those wondering: I'm in state, MCAT 507, GPA 3.98, secondary complete in September.
I'll let you know after the 10th! Did you have a choice of what day you interview? They emailed me on Tuesday, Jan 3rd and basically was like "you interview Tuesday, Jan 10th". I'm worried I was just someone they threw in because someone else dropped out last minute and they're not that interested in me

also does anyone know their post-interview acceptance rate?

Hello everyone! I just received an interview invite for the 17th. If anyone who has gone through the interview process this year or previous years could send any advice or tips, that would be much appreciated! Thank you!

For those wondering: I'm in state, MCAT 507, GPA 3.98, secondary complete in September.
it was super chill and conversational just review your app and the general why us question and you should be fine. Just be yourself! I wasnt thrown any curveball questions at all.

I'll let you know after the 10th! Did you have a choice of what day you interview? They emailed me on Tuesday, Jan 3rd and basically was like "you interview Tuesday, Jan 10th". I'm worried I was just someone they threw in because someone else dropped out last minute and they're not that interested in me
I just got the email today and they said the interview was for the 17th, though they said you could change it if you needed.

Not to say the cycle is exactly the same now, but I had a friend that interviewed a couple years ago in late January and was accepted the next day. I wouldn't think they're not interested in you just because they offered an interview spot with such short notice. We're coming off the holiday season so I imagine they're just getting back to sending out interviews now.

I just got the email today and they said the interview was for the 17th, though they said you could change it if you needed.

Not to say the cycle is exactly the same now, but I had a friend that interviewed a couple years ago in late January and was accepted the next day. I wouldn't think they're not interested in you just because they offered an interview spot with such short notice. We're coming off the holiday season so I imagine they're just getting back to sending out interviews now.
awesome, thank you!

They wouldn't give you an II at all if they weren't very interested in you so have hope!

Oms1 ouhcom student here, my advice would be to be nice and relatable. Answer the questions thoughtfully but try to have a conversation with them instead of only answering the questions. This school had the easiest going interview for me than the other schools I intetviewed at.

waitlisted at Cleveland and Athens :/ is there a lot of movement in the WL or is my application basically dead now
a ton of WL movement. a friend of mine got in, in July and she interviewed specifically for the waitlist, in March

IS LM:71
Secondary complete: 11/4 (letters took a while to be checked off)
II invite: 12/20
A received for Athens but WL for Cleveland on 1/10
I'm not disappointed by the Cleveland WL, much smaller class size and I imagine most, if not all seats are filled currently. The application and interview process was the best I've had and the staff/school seem extremely nice. I'm very excited to visit, and good luck to any hopeful candidates.

waitlisted at Cleveland and Athens :/ is there a lot of movement in the WL or is my application basically dead now
I also have a friend who got in to school off the WL in July. She got into the Athens campus.

IS LM:71
Secondary complete: 11/4 (letters took a while to be checked off)
II invite: 12/20
A received for Athens but WL for Cleveland on 1/10
I'm not disappointed by the Cleveland WL, much smaller class size and I imagine most, if not all seats are filled currently. The application and interview process was the best I've had and the staff/school seem extremely nice. I'm very excited to visit, and good luck to any hopeful candidates.
Congrats on the acceptance

Just received the A for the Cleveland campus tonight! I'd love to reach out to any current Cleveland campus students with some questions if anyone is willing :)

Hi everyone, what is WL movement like? Are we pre-ranked and Is your ranking altered if you’re IS and interviewed through TCC? Thanks!