2022-2023 Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (OU-HCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone that has been waitlisted (not sure if anyone has, hopefully not): please reach out to Terry or Jill for application feedback as soon as you can! They appreciate that and will give good feedback. Additionally, HCOM also appreciates update letters and intent letters if you are committed. I know it's still fairly early in the cycle, but just keep these things in mind as you go on through the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I interviewed for OU-HCOM on 10/25 and was put on an "alternate list" for the Dublin and Athens campuses. I am assuming that this is a waitlist. Historically, is there a lot of movement off the waitlist? I really want to go to this school and want to maximize my chances of getting off the waitlist. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I interviewed for OU-HCOM on 10/25 and was put on an "alternate list" for the Dublin and Athens campuses. I am assuming that this is a waitlist. Historically, is there a lot of movement off the waitlist? I really want to go to this school and want to maximize my chances of getting off the waitlist. Thanks in advance!
are you in state?

thanks for the reassurance lol! I always thought yield protection would prevent me from even getting an interview because the interview is pretty resource-intensive for the school

thanks for the reassurance lol! I always thought yield protection would prevent me from even getting an interview because the interview is pretty resource-intensive for the school
No problem :) theyre very into mission fit and like it when you say how you can contribute to their vision for healthcare. As long as you keep stating youre interested in them im sure youll get off the WL

You do have a high chance of getting off the WL! They typically have movement starting around the end of April to early May after exams (long wait, I know). I would reach out to Terry or Jill and go over your application and interview notes though - even if you feel that your application and interview was perfect, it helps put a face to your app and gets you on the radar. If you have any upcoming achievements or activities, it would be good to send them an update/interest/intent letter around January. And maybe another one around early April if you can, but only if you have significant things to update them with.

Hello everyone!!! Wow it has been a cool minute since I've been on SDN haha.

I just wanted to drop by as an OMS-I on the Athens campus and see if I can answer any questions anyone has about the application process, interviewing or how just OUHCOM is. Also, I was initially waitlisted and did their post-bac this past year and am now a med student as mentioned before, so if anyone has general questions about campus or Athens in general I can answer that as well. Feel free to ask here or shoot me a DM and I'll be more than happy to help!! I'm excited for all of y'all, I was literally in your shoes, err well forum, literally one year ago so I want to help as much as I can. Also, I'm an URM, OOS, non-trad (27 years old) student if anyone was curious about that too.

Good luck everyone!!!

Hello everyone!!! Wow it has been a cool minute since I've been on SDN haha.

I just wanted to drop by as an OMS-I on the Athens campus and see if I can answer any questions anyone has about the application process, interviewing or how just OUHCOM is. Also, I was initially waitlisted and did their post-bac this past year and am now a med student as mentioned before, so if anyone has general questions about campus or Athens in general I can answer that as well. Feel free to ask here or shoot me a DM and I'll be more than happy to help!! I'm excited for all of y'all, I was literally in your shoes, err well forum, literally one year ago so I want to help as much as I can. Also, I'm an URM, OOS, non-trad (27 years old) student if anyone was curious about that too.

Good luck everyone!!!
This question is inspired by your username, do you have to write any essays/papers?? Lol

This question is inspired by your username, do you have to write any essays/papers?? Lol
Haha yes for OUHCOM there are two required essays and an optional 3rd and 4th essay if you are also applying to their Cleveland and/or Dublin campus. If you are only applying to their main campus in Athens then it'll just be the 2 required essays. For the second essay you choose from three different prompts.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're asking about essays/papers as part of the curriculum, thank goodness NO! No essay or paper assignments at HCOM!

If you're asking about essays/papers as part of the curriculum, thank goodness NO! No essay or paper assignments at HCOM!
I didn't even take into account that they might be asking about during school lol, my bad :rofl: but yes thank goodness we do not have any writing assignments!

I heard from the admissions office that they are seeking more applicants who rank the Athens campus #1. The Cleveland and Dublin campuses are much more competitive since they're a lot smaller
I ranked Athens #1 exactly for this reason when I submitted my secondary and I still haven't heard back. If they need seat to fill I will be happy to take it lol

Reactions: 2 users
I heard from the admissions office that they are seeking more applicants who rank the Athens campus #1. The Cleveland and Dublin campuses are much more competitive since they're a lot smaller
Is it too late to switch my rankings to: "Please, just any campus that lets me become a doctor I'm so tired of this soul-crushing process?"

Asking for a friend, of course, who ranked Cleveland as #1. Maybe I'll ask TerryP at this week's PreDoc meeting ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Is it too late to switch my rankings to: "Please, just any campus that lets me become a doctor I'm so tired of this soul-crushing process?"

Asking for a friend, of course, who ranked Cleveland as #1. Maybe I'll ask TerryP at this week's PreDoc meeting ;)

hi, what’s the predoc meeting?!

hi, what’s the predoc meeting?!
It's a OU-HCOM interest club that their Adcoms run for college students/ OU-HCOM applicants. They have monthly meetings where they present about the school, OMT/OMM, and life as a med student at the three different campuses. Each month, med students and OU-HCOM alum will speak to the group and then they divide us up into smaller group breakout sessions where we can ask campus or specialty-specific questions.

It's honestly super cool. Terry Porter leads it, he's the main admissions person at the Dublin Campus. Bre Koch from the Cleveland campus also runs it. The med students do a good job giving advice for applicants/reapplicants, creating a positive energy that makes you feel you belong there. The sessions have been over Zoom since they started during the pandemic, but this year they're also doing campus visit days and already had the Dublin campus day (which I couldn't make, unfortunately).

If you want to be on the monthly email list, send Terry Porter an email!

EDIT: Terry prefers to be addressed as Terry. Don't call him Mr. Porter, only his own kids call him that :)

Last edited:

Unfortunately don't think that's an option, BUT it isn't too late to rearrange your rankings :shifty:

• Haha
It's a OU-HCOM interest club that their Adcoms run for college students/ OU-HCOM applicants. They have monthly meetings where they present about the school, OMT/OMM, and life as a med student at the three different campuses. Each month, med students and OU-HCOM alum will speak to the group and then they divide us up into smaller group breakout sessions where we can ask campus or specialty-specific questions.

It's honestly super cool. Terry Porter leads it, he's the main admissions person at the Dublin Campus. Bre Koch from the Cleveland campus also runs it. The med students do a good job giving advice for applicants/reapplicants, creating a positive energy that makes you feel you belong there. The sessions have been over Zoom since they started during the pandemic, but this year they're also doing campus visit days and already had the Dublin campus day (which I couldn't make, unfortunately).

If you want to be on the monthly email list, send Terry Porter an email!

thank you so much for the reply!!! that’s super cool, i’d love to attend. It sounds like a great opportunity.

I ranked Athens #1 exactly for this reason when I submitted my secondary and I still haven't heard back. If they need seat to fill I will be happy to take it lol
When did you submit? I submitted it in early august and still nothing

i ranked them one back in july.. I havent gotten an II from them yet

IS and still nothing. Submitted first day
I think they’re just behind maybe. I was reading some where that schools are super behind on applicants and interview. Hopefully after thanksgiving holidays they catch up

Hi everyone,

The old TCC chat is no longer in use. Please let me know if you would like to be added to the new TCC chat.

I would love to hear from current medical students on the regional campuses (preferably Dublin) about their experiences with the flipped classroom format + live lecture broadcast from Athens. Not sure how I feel about this one as the instructor who is lecturing will not be in the room, maybe I am misunderstanding some things. Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, first off good luck to all still waiting on decisions I know it's a grind but hang in there.

For those who know about the CLE campus, I was wondering if anyone had started searching for apartments and what areas you were looking at. I would definitely be willing to fork out a little extra for a nice place and short commute, is Shaker Heights a popular spot? I didn't see to many options on apartments.com tbh