2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was reading on previous NHSC forums that there's an initial credit check that shows if your application will move onto the next step, does anyone have any information of when they plan on doing the credit checks this year? seems that every year is different.

Members don't see this ad.

My guess would be something was filled out incorrectly, or your letter writers didn’t follow exactly what they were needing to include, or a document was missing. Any of those would make you ineligible for the award.
i still don't see where they said they awarded every applicant... where does it say that??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i still don't see where they said they awarded every applicant... where does it say that??

Yeah the handbook states that it’s competitive and gives the % of applicants that get it. There’s no way this was my case knowing my writers etc…

i think they said results come out sept 30 :\
I think they say all results will come out before sept 30 but the first round of finalists I’ve heard should be around early August while credit checks be around mid-July

when i called they said you can start hearing back as early as june and they'll email you to confirm you're still interested first

when i called they said you can start hearing back as early as june and they'll email you to confirm you're still interested first
Did they say if they'll be doing a credit check before sending out emails to confirm?

I just noticed that I had a slight grammatical error in one of my essays on my application, does anyone know if that would weigh heavily on my overall app?

Did they say if they'll be doing a credit check before sending out emails to confirm?
she mentioned the credit check but I don't think she specified if it's before the email, sorry! I would assume it is, though. otherwise she said to keep an eye on the portal + your email!

Anyone know what to do if we have to switch what school we are attending?

Hi all, might be somewhat of a stupid question.

I am matriculating this fall. Applied to NHSC. I need to take out loans to cover expenses and whatnot, which must be done before starting. But it appears the scholarship wont be announced until well after I would have taken these loans out. Will NHSC pay these loans back or how does this work?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, might be somewhat of a stupid question.

I am matriculating this fall. Applied to NHSC. I need to take out loans to cover expenses and whatnot, which must be done before starting. But it appears the scholarship wont be announced until well after I would have taken these loans out. Will NHSC pay these loans back or how does this work?

Thanks
Yep, they said they will pay them back (I called with the same question and she said this is written in the Program Guidance packet for this year)

Reactions: 1 users
Just checked Experian, no credit checks yet as far as I can tell -- has anyone had it yet?

I understand that if you get the scholarship, they’ll pay your loans back.

So, If we take a loan for tuition + housing, etc., do they only pay back tuition only or do they pay back the entire COA loan?

If not, are we responsible for giving back the housing portion of the loan we borrow since NHSC gives $$$$/month or?

😂 how does this work

I understand that if you get the scholarship, they’ll pay your loans back.

So, If we take a loan for tuition + housing, etc., do they only pay back tuition only or do they pay back the entire COA loan?

If not, are we responsible for giving back the housing portion of the loan we borrow since NHSC gives $$$$/month or?

😂 how does this work
The NHSC will pay the school your tuition/fees and then the school will return your loans for that amount only.
The NHSC will then pay you directly two additional lump sums (usually in Oct): your yearly ORC payment and your monthly stipend backpay from July-Oct.
The amounts paid directly to you should be enough to return the remainder of your loans. If not, it usually isn’t too much in loans that you have to keep. From there, the school continually pays your tuition/fees, you continue to receive your yearly ORC to cover the rest, and you can continue to receive/live on your monthly stipend.
You also have the option of taking out additional loans up to a maximum of your school’s COA (COA - total NHSC payments = amount of additional loans you are eligible for). Or you can live on a tighter budget and be truly debt-free.

Turns out it just disqualifies us immediately lol a bummer
I had someone at my school who was disqualified for that, so I used to assume that it happened automatically in every case. But during a webinar one year, they said not always. It depends on when the decision to switch takes place, so they advised to inform them ASAP to try and avoid disqualification. Sorry that happened in your case.

Anyone know where I can find success rates for people who applieda second time, after being rejected the first? Or does anyone have experience with this, and is able to answer a few questions?

I got a credit check from NHSC today

I received a credit check from NHSC today also!

Anyone know where I can find success rates for people who applieda second time, after being rejected the first? Or does anyone have experience with this, and is able to answer a few questions?

I don’t have stats but I applied last year and didn’t get it. I don’t know if I’ll get it this year but I just got my credit check and last year I never got a credit check so I feel that that’s good news!

How did you all see if you got a credit check or not? Thanks!

I also received a credit check yesterday.
I have Chase and it has a section in the app that gives me updates on my credit score. I would check with the app for your bank or credit card, or one of those free websites like Credit Karma.

I also received a credit check yesterday.
I have Chase and it has a section in the app that gives me updates on my credit score. I would check with the app for your bank or credit card, or one of those free websites like Credit Karma.
Okay thank you! Looks like I didn’t get one yet, hopefully there’s a couple rounds of them.

I also got my credit check yesterday! Experian told me the check was from "NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA".

Based on previous years' credit checks, it looks like we can expect the first round on or possibly before July 11/12 at the earliest. Though a lot of previous years released August. In 2019, the first credit check came out on July 15 (also a Monday) and the first round of finalists was released August 6. In 2020, the first credit check came out August 10 (also a Monday), and the first round of finalists was released August 19. 2020 was a fast turnaround time but there was also delays and extensions due to COVID. I can't find official dates for 2021 but my friend who got it said her credit check was somewhere July when our summer quarter began and her (not sure if it was the first) round of applicants was around August 11/12.

Also a thing of note, watch out for when the website says it will go under maintenance. Apparently, NHSC said it would go under maintenance August 20, 2020 and the finalists were released August 19, 2020.

Reactions: 8 users
I also got my credit check yesterday! Experian told me the check was from "NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA".

Based on previous years' credit checks, it looks like we can expect the first round on or possibly before July 11/12 at the earliest. Though a lot of previous years released August. In 2019, the first credit check came out on July 15 (also a Monday) and the first round of finalists was released August 6. In 2020, the first credit check came out August 10 (also a Monday), and the first round of finalists was released August 19. 2020 was a fast turnaround time but there was also delays and extensions due to COVID. I can't find official dates for 2021 but my friend who got it said her credit check was somewhere July when our summer quarter began and her (not sure if it was the first) round of applicants was around August 11/12.

Also a thing of note, watch out for when the website says it will go under maintenance. Apparently, NHSC said it would go under maintenance August 20, 2020 and the finalists were released August 19, 2020.
yay so good sign for us!

yay so good sign for us!
Hopefully! The usual pattern was mid-July credit check, early August finalist notification with around a three week or less tunraround time but no complaints here if they do it a little earlier with this mid-June credit check.

Hey guys, what does 1st credit check mean? Is it a good sign for us? Is it an indicator that we will get the scholarship?

Anyone know if they do multiple rounds of credit checks or is it just this one?

I also have a chase card and got an email. But I also have Credit Karma. I just checked, and it hasn't been reported on CK yet. I do like that website though if you guys are interested. It's actually free, there's just a lot of offers that will pop up, that's how they make their money, not on you. But it does show you if you have any "derogatory remarks" which I believe is what they're looking for when they check your credit, not a good score (thankfully). Same as Grad + loans. You don't qualify if you had derogatory remarks.

I also have a chase card and got an email. But I also have Credit Karma. I just checked, and it hasn't been reported on CK yet. I do like that website though if you guys are interested. It's actually free, there's just a lot of offers that will pop up, that's how they make their money, not on you. But it does show you if you have any "derogatory remarks" which I believe is what they're looking for when they check your credit, not a good score (thankfully). Same as Grad + loans. You don't qualify if you had derogatory remarks.
Stupid question..but what is a derogatory remark in terms of credit score?

Stupid question..but what is a derogatory remark in terms of credit score?
Credit Karma has things listed such as; tax liens, collections, bankruptcies, civil judgements. I know NHSC specifically is looking for defaults on federal loans, etc...

Also, still no update for inquiries on that resource on my end. Only evidence is from my Chase monitoring. CK reportedly pulls from TransUnion and Equifax.

anyone have any details of when they would be sending out finalist emails?

anyone have any details of when they would be sending out finalist emails?
2020-2021 year’s first round of finalist email was 8/19 after the credit check at 8/10. However other years took around 2-3 weeks!

+1 credit check on 6/20 for NHSC LRP/SP/HRSA

didn't get a notif from Chase but just logged in to check and it was there!

Does anyone that doesn’t have Chase see a credit check? I saw someone say they didn’t see it on their credit karma and that’s what I have… just getting ansy over here lol

Does anyone that doesn’t have Chase see a credit check? I saw someone say they didn’t see it on their credit karma and that’s what I have… just getting ansy over here lol
I don’t have chase and don’t see a credit check either lol I’ve checked Experian and credit karma, still nothing

I have chase but I saw my credit check on Credit Karma.

I'm a little bit worried. Hopefully they will have second rounds of credit checks because we do need it to move forward.
Also wondering if they will accept as much applicants they did last year... but they also only did one credit check last year around June 14.