2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think 12 less people are getting it this year per HHS budget. It looks like they added about 500 Loan Repayment spots and decreased Scholarship from 149 to 137.

“In FY 2022, the NHSC program anticipates making 137 new and 12 continuation scholarship awards, 4,404 new and 2,728 continuation loan repayment awards and 167 Students to Service loan repayment awards.”

- HHS FY 2022 Budget

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think from last year because they got $900 Million dollars in funding, I remember seeing on their site 1200 people got awarded from 1800 applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be crazy lol but where at on your Credit Karma did you see it?
you have to click on equifax and then scroll down and click credit report. and there will be a list of hard inquiries done on your credit

you have to click on equifax and then scroll down and click credit report. and there will be a list of hard inquiries done on your credit
Thank you, I was doing it right then! Just weird because I just had to sign a lease for an apartment recently and I don't even see their credit check on there so I'm confused. I probably should just stop checking it and maybe it'll show up one day lol

Thank you, I was doing it right then! Just weird because I just had to sign a lease for an apartment recently and I don't even see their credit check on there so I'm confused. I probably should just stop checking it and maybe it'll show up one day lol
you and me both!!! :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I think from last year because they got $900 Million dollars in funding, I remember seeing on their site 1200 people got awarded from 1800 applicants.
How did you find that info?

I've noticed this too. I have no inquiries on my credit even though several apartments have said they've checked. I'm wondering if it's because I don't have a credit history (never had a credit card, able to get through undergrad on scholarships, etc) so I'm wondering if inquiries will show up from entities if there's nothing to inquire about, if that makes sense. Whenever I try to use annual credit report, it says my file is too thin to generate a report but Experian app says I have no inquiries. Anyone else experiencing this?

I've noticed this too. I have no inquiries on my credit even though several apartments have said they've checked. I'm wondering if it's because I don't have a credit history (never had a credit card, able to get through undergrad on scholarships, etc) so I'm wondering if inquiries will show up from entities if there's nothing to inquire about, if that makes sense. Whenever I try to use annual credit report, it says my file is too thin to generate a report but Experian app says I have no inquiries. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have 15 years of credit history (multiple houses, cars, cards, etc..) and still nothing on CK this morning even though chase reports it. My guess is that it doesn’t make it on your report on some sources because it’s not you asking about loans? Like It’s a credit check for a background type reason rather than actual financial reasons. For instance, I bet if you get a job at a place that checks credit it wouldn’t report it because it doesn’t actually matter to your creditworthiness. Just guessing.

By the way I interpreted a post with similar info I read on the HRSA website, although they did mention they received additional funding, they didn’t specify that it has all been used in the 2021-2022 year? I was having high hopes for this year because technically we are still in the middle of a pandemic just like last year’s applicants...

I think 12 less people are getting it this year per HHS budget. It looks like they added about 500 Loan Repayment spots and decreased Scholarship from 149 to 137.

“In FY 2022, the NHSC program anticipates making 137 new and 12 continuation scholarship awards, 4,404 new and 2,728 continuation loan repayment awards and 167 Students to Service loan repayment awards.”

- HHS FY 2022 Budget
Why are there 1200 award recipients last year but there are only “12 continuation scholarship awards”?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are there 1200 award recipients last year but there are only “12 continuation scholarship awards”?
i don’t know where the number 1200 came from. someone else in the thread said they found that.

The published budget for HHS says there was only a budget for 149 scholarships last year and will be 137 this year.

My better intuition tells me 1200 is not how many people they’ll be accepting esp since only about ~2,000 people apply.

By the way I interpreted a post with similar info I read on the HRSA website, although they did mention they received additional funding, they didn’t specify that it has all been used in the 2021-2022 year? I was having high hopes for this year because technically we are still in the middle of a pandemic just like last year’s applicants...

I remember seeing it on the NHSC site, I cant find it anymore because they were talking about how almost eligible applicant got the scholarship last year. They had the biggest class of awards last year because of the $900 million dollar funding. Also, someone also brought it up in one of the NHSC Q&A sessions.
I did some deep digging and im hoping for a second credit check. They haven't done a second round of credit checks since 2018.

If you google $900 million for nhsc, it will pop up about how much funding they got since Biden became president.
Also this link says that HRSA is going award almost 1,200 scholarships.

I remember seeing it on the NHSC site, I cant find it anymore because they were talking about how almost eligible applicant got the scholarship last year. They had the biggest class of awards last year because of the $900 million dollar funding. Also, someone also brought it up in one of the NHSC Q&A sessions.
I did some deep digging and im hoping for a second credit check. They haven't done a second round of credit checks since 2018.

If you google $900 million for nhsc, it will pop up about how much funding they got since Biden became president.
Also this link says that HRSA is going award almost 1,200 scholarships.

*cue Rihanna Money song*

• Haha
I am a Green Card holder, which category of NHSC would I be eligible as a future dental student?

For those of you curious about a rough timeline of when we should be hearing back from them, I was lurking through last years forum and found this helpful post!

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 8.15.49 PM.png

For those of you curious about a rough timeline of when we should be hearing back from them, I was lurking through last years forum and found this helpful post!

View attachment 356727
based on this it looks like it took around 3 weeks for them to send out finalist emails from when they did the credit checks. So if we assume the same for this year, hopefully we'll see something early/mid July.

If we have not received any credit checks, should we assume we are out of the running for the scholarship?

Reactions: 2 users
If you haven’t seen a credit check you might have nothing to worry about since (I’m guessing) the credit check will be considered a soft inquiry which may or may not show on your credit report. [I did a bit of googling on if all credit checks appear on your credit report]

anyone hear anything about when they would be sending out finalist emails?

anyone hear anything about when they would be sending out finalist emails?
Historically, the first wave of finalist emails have been sent out the first week of August. However, last year credit checks weren’t given out until mid July, unlike this year when we were notified mid June. So most likely we’ll be hearing back either end of July or beginning of August. But again, this is all speculation on my part 🤷🏽‍♀️

If you haven’t seen a credit check you might have nothing to worry about since (I’m guessing) the credit check will be considered a soft inquiry which may or may not show on your credit report. [I did a bit of googling on if all credit checks appear on your credit report]
Hmmm, from my credit report, experian only, it is considered a hard inquiry. In the program guide it also states that this will be a hard inquiry.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Hmmm, from my credit report, experian only, it is considered a hard inquiry. In the program guide it also states that this will be a hard inquiry.
Okay! Good to know. I was just going off this article I read that said soft inquiries are for searches that aren’t for loans basically.

Has anyone had their credit checked twice? I had a credit check June 20 and then again yesterday. Wondering if that means anything but whew too hard inquiries so soon hasn’t been nice on my credit score.

Has anyone had their credit checked twice? I had a credit check June 20 and then again yesterday. Wondering if that means anything but whew too hard inquiries so soon hasn’t been nice on my credit score.
were they both on experian?

Nope, still just one from Chase. I did check CK today and still don’t see the inquiry on there.

Also just the one credit check on 6/20 but I called them when I was having issues with the portal and they said the next step after the credit checks if an email asking to confirm interest -- has anyone received that yet? and/or knows if that was a thing in previous cycles?

Nope just the one.

Also just the one credit check on 6/20 but I called them when I was having issues with the portal and they said the next step after the credit checks if an email asking to confirm interest -- has anyone received that yet? and/or knows if that was a thing in previous cycles?
I have not received the next email but that does appear to be the next step as read in other post and from the customer service.

man school is starting soon and i'm getting so nervous for this scholarship! i wish they announced the results before school started!

Reactions: 2 users
It’s been four weeks... it really could be any day now from how last year’s notifications came out

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
It’s been four weeks... it really could be any day now from how last year’s notifications came out
That's possible but based on historical trends it seems like it will come out mid August

Reactions: 3 users
i got a hard inquiry from dept of education today on CK

Double check with who inquired! it said NHSC for mine
oh yeah i think it might be student loans for me because it said dept of education

maybe bc i borrowed loans for the upcoming fall tuition? but do they usually do hard inquiries???

but back in june i got one from chase saying its from HRSA. i'm so confused ahh

oh yeah i think it might be student loans for me because it said dept of education

maybe bc i borrowed loans for the upcoming fall tuition? but do they usually do hard inquiries???

but back in june i got one from chase saying its from HRSA. i'm so confused ahh
Ah yeah HRSA* thats the one I saw! I didnt even think about student loan lol but I read its only direct PLUS loans that do a hard inquiry

Ah yeah HRSA* thats the one I saw! I didnt even think about student loan lol but I read its only direct PLUS loans that do a hard inquiry
that's interesting because it's never happened to me before for undergrad :oops:
also, on CK the HRSA hard inquiry doesn't show up -- only on chase ? is that for you too?

that's interesting because it's never happened to me before for undergrad :oops:
also, on CK the HRSA hard inquiry doesn't show up -- only on chase ? is that for you too?
Yea same for me. Im assuming that HRSA/NHSC only does 1 credit check. It makes sense logically because then they'd just be hurting peoples credit without purpose. Maybe another credit check if we finalist but prob just 1 pre-finalist.

Yea same for me. Im assuming that HRSA/NHSC only does 1 credit check. It makes sense logically because then they'd just be hurting peoples credit without purpose. Maybe another credit check if we finalist but prob just 1 pre-finalist.
CK is only Transunion and Equifax but HRSA checked Experian which is where Chase gets their info. I agree it does seem logical that they would only check one of the bureaus instead of all of them.

CK is only Transunion and Equifax but HRSA checked Experian which is where Chase gets their info. I agree it does seem logical that they would only check one of the bureaus instead of all of them.
Agreed!

did any of you guys get a hard inquiry from dept of education as well on CK?