2023-2024 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Auburn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! For those of you who have received the official acceptance letter for 2028 with a guarantee for 2029 if spots don’t open this year, did you send a letter to state you would accept this offer? I’m afraid to give up my spot elsewhere until I know that I’m either officially accepted this year and have paid my deposit or I’ve paid my deposit for next year. Do you think that the letter is all we will get or will we get something more concrete for next year if we don’t get off the waitlist this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
506 (126/127/126/127) mcat and if they looked at the last 90 credits (they say they do online since I had over 140 credits) then I had around a 3.8. Otherwise I had a 3.2 gpa. Non-trad, 3,000 clinical hours as a surgery tech
congrats. When did you interview with them?

For people who have sent in their letter of intent, which email did you send to and did you receive anything back acknowledging it? I sent mine to the auburn specific admissions email and uploaded to my portal back in March but not the regular vcom admissions email and haven’t received anything back. Wondering if I should resend to the other email.

Hi,
Please help me decide between these 2 schools. Its urgent. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

VCOM-Auburn

Pros:
closer to family (2hrs)
I liked the area when I visited
Nice campus and Resources
tuition cost is less
COL is low

Cons:
no affiliated hospital (not sure how much that matters)
no specific % of match rates in each specialty
frequent exams

ACOM:

Pros:
Better reputation for better rotation sites in bigger cities
affiliated hospital
better surgical match rates
fewer exams per month

Cons:
farther from family (3.5 hrs)
smaller town
more tuition cost (36K more per 4 years)
haven't visited campus

I am interested in pursuing surgery but don't want to make my entire decision based on a field I have very little exposure to. Any input from current or former students or advisors would be much appreciated.

Hi,
Please help me decide between these 2 schools. Its urgent. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

VCOM-Auburn

Pros:
closer to family (2hrs)
I liked the area when I visited
Nice campus and Resources
tuition cost is less
COL is low

Cons:
no affiliated hospital (not sure how much that matters)
no specific % of match rates in each specialty
frequent exams

ACOM:

Pros:
Better reputation for better rotation sites in bigger cities
affiliated hospital
better surgical match rates
fewer exams per month

Cons:
farther from family (3.5 hrs)
smaller town
more tuition cost (36K more per 4 years)
haven't visited campus

I am interested in pursuing surgery but don't want to make my entire decision based on a field I have very little exposure to. Any input from current or former students or advisors would be much appreciated.
I’ve heard nightmare stories about VCOM. I personally choose ACOM over VCOM in a heartbeat. I believe it has better research opportunities, more supportive staff, a better match list and pass rate for boards, and you’re not on a college campus. Plus ACOM is accredited with exceptional outcome whereas I believe VCOM is on heightened monitoring which raises some red flags. Also VCOM has multiple tests per week whereas ACOM is a more “normal” testing schedule. These are just the reasons I chose ACOM over VCOM during the process. I would research more on what is important to you though, ACOM is also much further from my family but fit my needs better. And the campus and facilities are beautiful!

Reactions: 1 user