2023-2024 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question- I have been accepted to another school in Texas not apart of accomas, if I accept and pay the deposit there does that affect my application at tcom? I interviewed at TCOM on 11/7 & don't anticipate hearing back before the deadline to accept for the other school.
At this point in the application cycle you can hold on to more than one acceptance.
If you are a Texas Resident and applied on the TMDSAS application, you will find out your results on Match Day Feb 16.
If you have a deposit deadline at an AACOMAS school due before then, you may have to pay that to hold the spot while waiting to hear your Match results.
If you are an OOS applicant to TCOM my advice is much the same, although you might hear an answer from TCOM on a different date.

Members don't see this ad.

also forgot to ask this question is my interview date early enough to receive a prematch or will I likely be waiting till February 16th? (interviewed 11/7)

Members don't see this ad :)
also forgot to ask this question is my interview date early enough to receive a rematch or will I likely be waiting till February 16th? (interviewed 11/7)
Ya! I think they said it takes about 3 weeks to review your application but once you’re reviewed your application is ranked in comparison to everyone else that interviewed already! If you’re high enough on the rankings you might make a prematch round.

What goes into the rankings is beyond my scope of knowledge so truly just trust you do the best you can and wait it out from here :)

Reactions: 1 user
In regards to the marketing email from TCOM stating that they had a 100% match rate of the 210 graduates…does that mean roughly 20 people failed out or repeated since their class size is 230 or more normally?

In regards to the marketing email from TCOM stating that they had a 100% match rate of the 210 graduates…does that mean roughly 20 people failed out or repeated since their class size is 230 or more normally?
There are a variety of reasons a student wouldn’t be able to match or possibly be eligible for match. Possibly needing to repeat or remediate, leaving school or taking a leave of absence. In some cases they may have passed everything successfully but applied to too few residencies or very competitive residencies

Reactions: 1 users
There are a variety of reasons a student wouldn’t be able to match or possibly be eligible for match. Possibly needing to repeat or remediate, leaving school or taking a leave of absence. In some cases they may have passed everything successfully but applied to too few residencies or very competitive residencies
I am assuming they are counting everyone who applied to show 100% or else it would not be accurate right?

In order to get to this point, the schools, even schools like UTSW will encourage people to apply to residencies they have a shot at matching. Most of the advisors undersell their students as well as oversell the students on applying to programs far below their match capabilities to ensure they match and school does not look bad.

I am assuming they are counting everyone who applied to show 100% or else it would not be accurate right?

In order to get to this point, the schools, even schools like UTSW will encourage people to apply to residencies they have a shot at matching. Most of the advisors undersell their students as well as oversell the students on applying to programs far below their match capabilities to ensure they match and school does not look bad.
IMG_6927.jpeg

This was their wording. It seemed like there was 210 people who graduated overall who all matched into a residency. My immediate thought was “isn’t the class size normally 230+ at times?”

View attachment 379770

This was their wording. It seemed like there was 210 people who graduated overall who all matched into a residency. My immediate thought was “isn’t the class size normally 230+ at times?”
Not everyone graduates with their batch.
Some people might be repeating years or have not passed their tests to apply.
Some have issues during rotations.
Some take research years (sometimes more than 1) to match into something they consider competitive like Ortho, Neuro or Uro.
Some never graduate.

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone have a prediction of the next round of prematches?

does anyone have a prediction of the next round of prematches?
Last year more pre-matches came out on Dec 20, followed by another round in January and February. Since Match is earlier this year, there will probably only be 1-2 more rounds, if we are lucky🤞🏼

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm running a week behind with this post, but:

IS Prematch 12/7! Interview 11/17!

SHOCKED that it came so fast, but SO pleased it came before I had to pay deposits at other OOS schools. A mixture of these feelings was me ugly, hiccupy crying on the phone to my mom. I've been checking the acceptance email over and over again to make sure I didn't dream it.

Choosing TCOM over all DO/MD OOS schools LESGOOOOOOO.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Is TCOM likely finished sending out interview invites?

Is TCOM likely finished sending out interview invites?
Maybe, but maybe not. They are done interviewing for December, but there are 3 interview days scheduled for January. There are 18 spots left with the available days, but more days could open up.

Declined pre-match offer today. Super excited for whoever picks it up!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Let me know where you dropped it and I’ll pick it up rn!!
Would be really cool if the schools put it up for a vote on SDN asking who would make the best addition to their school when someone drops a prematch. :)

Are there still more interviews for TCOM coming up?

Anyone know if they will make any decisions of acceptance soon?

Should we start our next round of delusional prematch acceptance date guesses?

my bets are this wednesday at 12pm :)

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
It's not public information, so I don't feel comfortable saying.
Oh sorry, I was just asking to see if they were the same dates as the school I got an interview at. I am still hopeful for an interview w/ TCOM and wondered if I did get one if I would have to choose which one to attend.

Oh sorry, I was just asking to see if they were the same dates as the school I got an interview at. I am still hopeful for an interview w/ TCOM and wondered if I did get one if I would have to choose which one to attend.
They’re always Tuesday and Friday for TCOM but I’m not sure what days are left

Is TCOM finished sending out interview invites? Still hoping to get one

Is TCOM finished sending out interview invites? Still hoping to get one.
As of now they are not opening anymore interview days(from what I know) and the ones left are basically full. Not sure if they will send more II out to fill the final interview day. However, the admissions office has said that occasionally they have people interview in March.

As of now they are not opening anymore interview days(from what I know) and the ones left are basically full. Not sure if they will send more II out to fill the final interview day. However, the admissions office has said that occasionally they have people interview in March.
They told me that too which seems odd since Match is In February this year

Ah man, I hope it’s not joever. Really wanted an ii ):

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how long it takes for OOS to hear back after their interview? I interviewed in September but I finally am getting reviewed as of last week since I went to undergrad on the quarter system and it took a LONG time to get my prerequisites sorted out between TCOM and my undergrad (admissions was super kind and helpful during the whole process tho) Also if I get into MD programs and into TCOM which do you guys recommend? Will choosing a DO hurt my chances at residency? I’m thinking of internal medicine or psych so nothing too competitive. My significant other goes to UTSW and I would like to be close to him but also want to make sure I get into a good residency. He’s planning on doing residency in Texas and I think going to TCOM would help my chances at matching into Texas vs OOS md programs but I’m not sure. Any advice is much appreciated!! :)

Does anyone know how long it takes for OOS to hear back after their interview? I interviewed in September but I finally am getting reviewed as of last week since I went to undergrad on the quarter system and it took a LONG time to get my prerequisites sorted out between TCOM and my undergrad (admissions was super kind and helpful during the whole process tho) Also if I get into MD programs and into TCOM which do you guys recommend? Will choosing a DO hurt my chances at residency? I’m thinking of internal medicine or psych so nothing too competitive. My significant other goes to UTSW and I would like to be close to him but also want to make sure I get into a good residency. He’s planning on doing residency in Texas and I think going to TCOM would help my chances at matching into Texas vs OOS md programs but I’m not sure. Any advice is much appreciated!! :)
I think most people will tell you to pick MD but I would do pick TCOM over any MD to be close to my SO! Life is sm more than a competitive residency and TCOM matches so strongly anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
I think most people will tell you to pick MD but I would do pick TCOM over any MD to be close to my SO! Life is sm more than a competitive residency and TCOM matches so strongly anyways.
It’s so hard to make these decisions but I’ll just have to wait to see where I even get in lol

• Care
Pre-matched! Interviewed in September.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I'm going to be a doctor!!!! Pre-matched an hour ago and interviewed in November 😭

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
IS pre match earlier today! Interviewed 1/5 so I wasn't expecting it at all :,))

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users