2023-2024 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any current TCOM students that I can message with some questions I have?
I'm a current student, happy to answer any questions!
Does TCOM give $1K scholarships to OOS so they can have in-state tuition like some other public Texas schools?
One of my friends who's OOS did get the grant, but I'm not sure if it's an automatic process or what. To my knowledge, she didn't explicitly apply for it, they just gave it to her.
Is anyone still getting any interview invites, still hoping for an interview?
Fwiw, I got my II in December for interview in early January. Cycle isn't over at this point by any means

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

One of my friends who's OOS did get the grant, but I'm not sure if it's an automatic process or what. To my knowledge, she didn't explicitly apply for it, they just gave it to her.

Fwiw, I got my II in December for interview in early January. Cycle isn't over at this point by any means
Thank you friend ❤️

Any idea if TCOM is prematch heavy or do they tend to fill most on match day?

Last edited:

Hey! So I was wondering if the school offers y’all any electronics/supplies included in the fees? Wanting to get a new laptop but if that’s already given then I wouldn’t want to buy another one. Also don’t know if I should get scrubs, stethoscope, etc. or if I should wait.

Also are there any things about TCOM that you think can be improved? And are there any things that TCOM does really good at? It would be great to hear a current student’s perspective to assist in my decision making process of where to go!

I don’t have the option to DM you but I feel like your responses would help other incoming students too! Thank you <3

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you friend ❤️

Any idea if TCOM is prematch heavy or do they tend to fill most on match day?
I'm honestly not sure, I'm not very involved with the admissions side. Anecdotally, I have friends that pre-matched, but they also pre-matched to other schools as well.

Hey! So I was wondering if the school offers y’all any electronics/supplies included in the fees? Wanting to get a new laptop but if that’s already given then I wouldn’t want to buy another one. Also don’t know if I should get scrubs, stethoscope, etc. or if I should wait.

Also are there any things about TCOM that you think can be improved? And are there any things that TCOM does really good at? It would be great to hear a current student’s perspective to assist in my decision making process of where to go!

I don’t have the option to DM you but I feel like your responses would help other incoming students too! Thank you <3
There is a technology package included in the fees that includes an M2 MacBook Pro, a 1TB external drive, and a couple other things. Everyone's required to use the same laptop for exams so nobody has a potential hardware advantage over anyone else in exams.

The school gives you a really nice stethoscope (Littmann Cardiology IV), so no need to buy your own. You have the option between business professional or navy blue or black scrubs for patient interview/physical exam labs/OSCEs, but you will need scrubs for dissection lab (2-3x/wk). I recommend just getting the cheapest scrubs you can for dissection, and having them be a separate set from your interview/exam scrubs, since you'll probably throw them out at the end.

Biggest thing I think could be improved on is weekly scheduling. Most lectures aren't mandatory, but every once in a while we'll just have a week that's super packed with everything going on. Scheduling is something that the school has been taking feedback from us about and is working on improving for future classes.

I really like how the curriculum is formatted with a "2-pass" system. We go through normal A&P for each system in the 1st year, with some clinical correlates sprinkled in, then go back through each system the 2nd year focusing on pathophys and treatment. Helps with reinforcement and long-term retention of content so you're not just purging everything once that system block is done. We also have like, 2-3 questions on each exam from previous blocks to help with that too (they tell you what topics they're over). Physical exam and OMM labs are also structured to focus on whatever system block you're learning concurrently too.

I'm honestly not sure, I'm not very involved with the admissions side. Anecdotally, I have friends that pre-matched, but they also pre-matched to other schools as well.

There is a technology package included in the fees that includes an M2 MacBook Pro, a 1TB external drive, and a couple other things. Everyone's required to use the same laptop for exams so nobody has a potential hardware advantage over anyone else in exams.

The school gives you a really nice stethoscope (Littmann Cardiology IV), so no need to buy your own. You have the option between business professional or navy blue or black scrubs for patient interview/physical exam labs/OSCEs, but you will need scrubs for dissection lab (2-3x/wk). I recommend just getting the cheapest scrubs you can for dissection, and having them be a separate set from your interview/exam scrubs, since you'll probably throw them out at the end.

Biggest thing I think could be improved on is weekly scheduling. Most lectures aren't mandatory, but every once in a while we'll just have a week that's super packed with everything going on. Scheduling is something that the school has been taking feedback from us about and is working on improving for future classes.

I really like how the curriculum is formatted with a "2-pass" system. We go through normal A&P for each system in the 1st year, with some clinical correlates sprinkled in, then go back through each system the 2nd year focusing on pathophys and treatment. Helps with reinforcement and long-term retention of content so you're not just purging everything once that system block is done. We also have like, 2-3 questions on each exam from previous blocks to help with that too (they tell you what topics they're over). Physical exam and OMM labs are also structured to focus on whatever system block you're learning concurrently too.
You are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. I hope they throw in the new M3 MacBooks for next years class 😈

You are AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. I hope they throw in the new M3 MacBooks for next years class 😈
IMO, I mean if they are giving out Macs, they should give out the new ones.

Thank you so much! You are AMAZING!!

For those who interviewed, where do you send thank you letters to? I missed the chance to ask

IMO, I mean if they are giving out Macs, they should give out the new ones.
My class started like, a month after the M2 came out so we got M1s since the school had to requisition them pretty far in advance 😢. The current tech package does include the M2 though.

For those who interviewed, where do you send thank you letters to? I missed the chance to ask
I sent one to the main admissions email address.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Based on past cycles, does anyone have a rough idea of TCOM’s timeline for pre matches, or if they do more pre matches vs match process admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS pre-match at 12:45 p.m. CST! Complete 08/01, interviewed 9/26! AHHHHH :love:

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Congrats guys - I pre-matched as well! Just so I understand the transcript aspect - from their message, it seems like TCOM want transcripts sent directly to them and not through TMDSAS, is that correct? In addition, should I send transcripts now or should I wait until after match day to send them my transcripts?

Reactions: 2 users
IS pre-match today at 12:45 pm!! Interviewed 9/19.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Congrats guys - I pre-matched as well! Just so I understand the transcript aspect - from their message, it seems like TCOM want transcripts sent directly to them and not through TMDSAS, is that correct? In addition, should I send transcripts now or should I wait until after match day to send them my transcripts?
@Enne , if you have already graduated, send TCOM your transcript now. Just in case they go through your transcript and tell you - "hey you’re missing a course that we require" you would have time to take it in Spring 2024.
If you're sure you have covered all the pre-reqs, you can wait until after Match Day & send your transcript to the school you match with, if that turns out to be a different school.

@Enne , if you have already graduated, send TCOM your transcript now. Just in case they go through your transcript and tell you - "hey you'e missing a course that we require" you would have time to take it in Spring 2024.
If you're sure you have covered all the pre-reqs, you can wait until after Match Day & send your transcript to the school you match with, if that turns out to be a different school.
So if I haven't graduated yet would I send my transcript after?

@Enne , if you have already graduated, send TCOM your transcript now. Just in case they go through your transcript and tell you - "hey you'e missing a course that we require" you would have time to take it in Spring 2024.
So would we still send our transcripts to TMDSAS as well? In addition to sending it to TCOM.

So would we still send our transcripts to TMDSAS as well? In addition to sending it to TCOM.
Send to TMDSAS when they request it (or at the end of the next semester if you’re still in college)
Send separately to the school you will attend

All those who prematched, check your deficiency report (not sure what it is called by TMDSAS -PCR?) to see if they are flagging you for any missing credits.

Not sure if this has already been answered but has there been a groupchat made?

II IS yesterday LM:68 submitted late july. But all the slots are full :( I will call the office and hopefully they have a slot for me

Reactions: 6 users
II IS yesterday LM:68 submitted late july. But all the slots are full :( I will call the office and hopefully they have a slot for me
Aw they open them up periodically I noticed. I think it’s Tuesdays and Fridays with 20 people each day

Anyone who interviewed the week of 10/3 receive a Pre-Match offer yet?

Anyone who interviewed the week of 10/3 receive a Pre-Match offer yet?
I think we’ve only seen September dates so far. October dates seem to have been looked at late November to early December based on last year (just a guesstimate obviously)

I am confused about the pre-interview LOR requirements. Can someone assist?

We will accept in total for your application:
1 Committee/Composite letter and 2 individual (1 to TMDSAS, 1 directly to our campus)

OR

5 individual letters (4 to TMDSAS, 1 directly to our campus)

We will give you 2 weeks from the date of your interview to send in any additional letters. Letters should be sent by the evaluator.

Name of evaluator to expect a letter from in 2 weeks or less from interview date

Are they saying this is the minimum requirement or the maximum they will accept? I had a stroke reading this. Please advise!!! I sent in three LOR to TMDSAS.

I am confused about the pre-interview LOR requirements. Can someone assist?

We will accept in total for your application:
1 Committee/Composite letter and 2 individual (1 to TMDSAS, 1 directly to our campus)

OR

5 individual letters (4 to TMDSAS, 1 directly to our campus)

We will give you 2 weeks from the date of your interview to send in any additional letters. Letters should be sent by the evaluator.

Name of evaluator to expect a letter from in 2 weeks or less from interview date

Are they saying this is the minimum requirement or the maximum they will accept? I had a stroke reading this. Please advise!!! I sent in three LOR to TMDSAS.
“We will accept in total for your application”

Maximum!

Not sure if it was reported before but the TCOM 2023 COMLEX-USA Level 1 first time pass rate is 98%

I wonder what they're putting in that curriculum...

Last edited:
Not sure if it was reported before but the TCOM 2023 COMLEX-USA Level 1 first time pass rate is 98%

I wonder what they're putting in that curriculum...
I think I remember in the interview they were saying how it’s a true 98% rate. Like some schools will even hold students back from taking it to not hurt their stats but TCOM doesn’t do that.

Could be talking about the wrong exam anyways since there’s so many lol

I think I remember in the interview they were saying how it’s a true 98% rate. Like some schools will even hold students back from taking it to not hurt their stats but TCOM doesn’t do that.

Could be talking about the wrong exam anyways since there’s so many lol
No you’re right! I do remember that. He said there’s pros and cons to stopping students from taking it unless they’re scoring a certain score but TCOM does not hold students back who want to take it!

Super cool.

Can someone who has prematched here as well dm me real quick? I had a question about the email that was sent to us.

Hmm, ty! Do you think sending update letter would be helpful?

Hello! I have a question about the pre-interview to-do list. They only listed my most recent MCAT dates (I've taken it twice) on their website and they have a box that says "Additional MCAT date". To my understanding, I don't need to put in any additional MCAT date right since they say "Please review your last reported MCAT test date; if you have taken or plan to take the test since that date (no later than September of the year you applied) let us know what date that exam is and make sure to release your score to TMDSAS as soon as possible. We will not make a final admissions decision on your application until we have all test scores" right before it? Thank you!!