2023-2024 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone receive a rejection on or after match day? Just wanted to see if everyone who didn't match was waitlisted or not.

Have they been selective with waitlist offers in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when OOS waitlist movement happens? I’m really hoping for an A here🤞

Members don't see this ad :)
We use in-house exams for years 1 and 2, and the questions are statistically validated by previous classes. Like purkinje said, the questions do become more board-like in second year, and we also take the COMAT FBS-C, COMSAE, and NBME's CBSSE in year 2. NBOME is currently in process of data collecting and standardizing scores for their line of NBME equivalent preclinical subject exams (COMAT FBS-T), so it's not in widespread use at the moment.

Can you link where you're seeing on the website that we use NBME exams for clerkships? Our (internal) clinical rotation policy manual says we use NBOME's COMAT Clinical Subject Exams.

The above link shows that NBME shelf exams are used for every core rotation except OMM. The link below shows that the shelf exams for every core rotation are NBOME (COMAT). Both links were updated as of 2023 so I am confused. It seems that your clinical rotation policy manual aligns with the latter. Are you or another current student able to chime in to clarify? Based on google searches, past SDN responses I could find (pre-2010) all align with the first link (NBME for every rotation except the OMM).

Last edited:
Just an FYI, TCOM is still interviewing. They have opened another Interview day in March. I assume this is for OOS as Match Day has passed, but I am not sure! Good luck to those who have an upcoming interview!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Just an FYI, TCOM is still interviewing. They have opened another Interview day in March. I assume this is for OOS as Match Day has passed, but I am not sure! Good luck to those who have an upcoming interview!
I just got it and I'm in-state, honestly cannot believe it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I also received an interview invite and I’m in state. This is my top choice school and I wouldn’t have to move if I was accepted here.
Are they interviewing for waitlist spots now? I’m super nervous and would absolutely be over the moon if I was accepted.

• Love
What implications, if any, do these new interview dates have for those on the waitlist? This makes me think there might be significant movement on the WL if they haven't filled their class yet...

What implications, if any, do these new interview dates have for those on the waitlist? This makes me think there might be significant movement on the WL if they haven't filled their class yet...
Have they done post-match interviews in the past? If so, how did it play out that year with WL movement?

Have they done post-match interviews in the past? If so, how did it play out that year with WL movement?
Based off of hearsay on Reddit, they have done post-match interviews in the past. Since TCOM doesn't post waitlist statistics (as far as I know), no way to tell how that went 🤷‍♂️

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the Pre-II R today, interesting.

Reactions: 2 users
This website claims a 70% acceptance rate to UNT-TCOM, this can’t be true, is it?

UNTHSC has multiple programs (school of public health, school of biomedical sciences, TCOM, etc.), so this is likely referring to their total acceptance rate among all programs

They said the class is full at the moment and the post match interviews are for the waitlist. I’m not sure what will happen/what has happened in the past with a situation like this

They said the class is full at the moment and the post match interviews are for the waitlist. I’m not sure what will happen/what has happened in the past with a situation like this
There will no doubt be some WL movement if those currently holding any DO seat get in from an MD WL. Even though TCOM grads get awesome residencies including at our TX MD schools

I know this is probably a far-fetched possibility but did they mention anything else about the waitlist? Like it is smaller than normal and that's why they are continuing to interview? anything about how many they typically take from the waitlist?

I know this is probably a far-fetched possibility but did they mention anything else about the waitlist? Like it is smaller than normal and that's why they are continuing to interview? anything about how many they typically take from the waitlist?
Not really. Something was said about them looking at the waitlist and offering more interviews but I don’t remember exactly. Definitely nothing about it being smaller.

My positive take on this is that they looked at the size of the waitlist this year and anticipated potential problems filling the class due to the historical trend of significant WL movement after the April 30th deadline (largely from applicants with MD offers turning down a DO offer to TCOM as @wysdoc said). So for example, maybe they had 30 students on the waitlist this year, but have accepted 40 from the WL in the past -- therefore, more interviews. We shall see in May (and potentially later)!

so i forgot because i was anxious

but were the interviews for a potential spot on the WL

My positive take on this is that they looked at the size of the waitlist this year and anticipated potential problems filling the class due to the historical trend of significant WL movement after the April 30th deadline (largely from applicants with MD offers turning down a DO offer to TCOM as @wysdoc said). So for example, maybe they had 30 students on the waitlist this year, but have accepted 40 from the WL in the past -- therefore, more interviews. We shall see in May (and potentially later)!
if you don't mind me asking, but are you on the WL?

i apologize if you've mentioned this before

This came up on the first page of what I saw for unt-tcom DO acceptance rate when searching on Google
See what kind of meaningless data AI spits out for you to worry about?
I recommend searching this type of information on an individual school's website.

Overall acceptance rate for TMDSAS schools is in the 30 to 35% range, with less qualified applicants faring below this average.

• Haha
Unfortunately @MCAThiccy, the MSAR doesn’t have data for Osteopathic schools and there is not a similar database for AACOMAS schools
AH! You're right! Very sorry (forgot that). I would just look arounf TCOM's site or even look for a pamphlet for details. I know my school just released a pamphlet/booklet with details for the 2023 cycle.

This is my thought process too. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but the hope keeps me alive.

• Care
This website claims a 70% acceptance rate to UNT-TCOM, this can’t be true, is it?

IMG_8348.jpeg

TCOM posts their data!

Reactions: 2 users
AH! You're right! Very sorry (forgot that). I would just look arounf TCOM's site or even look for a pamphlet for details. I know my school just released a pamphlet/booklet with details for the 2023 cycle.
I was watching ElPaso match video. It is amazing how many of their students did an MS at UNT. I assume it is a post bac program?

What about all the labs?
so it's a specialized masters program rather than a postbacc. i actually completed the master's program at UNTHSC and i opted for the online option because it was during the peak of COVID-19 (no vaccines were available... all that mess).

having "virtual" labs was a major downside and i was bummed to not have that hands-on experience, but it was a crazier time back then lol. however i loved the program so much and came out of there a better and more confident student that's for sure!

I’m praying for an acceptance here, I’m currently sitting on 5 waitlists and no As😭😭 (OOS for reference)

• Care
I’m praying for an acceptance here, I’m currently sitting on 5 waitlists and no As😭😭 (OOS for reference)
Same here, 2 waitlists and the waiting is painful. Very hopeful for WL movement for us!

myhsc portal has been updated to waitlisted. I interviewed on March 19th. The waiting begins.

• Care
Any WL movement?
Not that I’ve seen. FAFSA was late and people aren’t getting financial aid info back at some schools until the latter part of April, so I don’t think there will be a lot till closer to the CTE deadline. I’m in the same boat though so I hope it picks up sooner rather than later.

hmmmm i got put on the waitlist as well - interviewed march 19th

what a weird little process as i have already started reapplying LOL

Did anyone else get the “status update” email? Basically saying that you’re on the waitlist and most offers for admission are given by June 1st. Nearly gave me a heart attack 🥲

Did anyone else get the “status update” email? Basically saying that you’re on the waitlist and most offers for admission are given by June 1st. Nearly gave me a heart attack 🥲
i suuuuuure did, i also got a heart attack

• Haha