2024-2025 U Houston (Fertitta)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2024-2025 U Houston (Fertitta) Secondary Essay Prompts: **Take note: This school has a firm 14-day deadline to return their secondary, and will lock you out of the submission portal if you miss the deadline**

Section 1a

I have prior experience in primary care setting (general internal medicine physician, a general pediatrician, or a family medicine physician).
Yes/No
I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area:
Yes/No
I have prior experience in community or public health:
Yes/No

Section 1b

Describe the setting (urban/inner city; suburban; rural); your role and responsibilities; and approximate date range for any of the experiences you indicated in the previous section. If you answered (N) to the category, enter “N/A” or leave the box blank for that category.
-Primary Care: (300 character limit)
-Medical or Social service for underserved area: (300 character limit)
-Community or Public Health: (300 character limit)

Section 2

-Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters, optional)

-Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Go to the UH College of Medicine mission for more information. (1500 character limit)


Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
 
Last edited:
I am surprised that nobody has received secondary essay prompts from Fertitta yet. Does this mean that none of the people who have had their applications verified applied to Fertitta?
 
Last edited:
I am surprised that nobody has received secondary essay prompts from Fertitta yet. Does this mean that none of the people who have had their applications verified apply to Fertitta?
Nope, my app was transmitted on 6/4 and I've received secondaries from almost all TMDSAS schools already. From my understanding UH and Dell both pre-screen secondaries so that's why nobody has received anything from either school. They're just slower to the party
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, my app was transmitted on 6/4 and I've received secondaries from almost all TMDSAS schools already. From my understanding UH and Dell both pre-screen secondaries so that's why nobody has received anything from either school. They're just slower to the party
Great, that's good to know. I will be watching this space for their secondary essay prompts as I wait for my app to be verified and transmitted.
 
Great, that's good to know. I will be watching this space for their secondary essay prompts as I wait for my app to be verified and transmitted.
2 weeks later and have not heard anything. Last year, they got their secondaries pretty early, I wonder why it is taking longer.
 
Anyone heard from U Houston-Fertitta? My primary was submitted early and they are the only TMDSAS school (other than Dell and Long) that I have not heard from. Just wondering.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I had to make a guess, I'd assume that they've just decided to do the brunt of their screening pre-secondary invites. They're a pretty new school and probably trying to figure out what system works best for them.
Yep, I think getting a secondary this cycle will be much more valuable than last cycle in terms of where you stand in the eyes of the committee.
 
The class size is going to stay at 60 for now.
See this post from last year for projected numbers:
Thank you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@wysdoc

Prompts:

Section 1a
I have prior experience in primary care setting (general internal medicine physician, a general pediatrician, or a family medicine physician).

Yes/No

I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area:

Yes/No

I have prior experience in community or public health:

Yes/No

Section 1b
Describe the setting (urban/inner city; suburban; rural); your role and responsibilities; and approximate date range for any of the experiences you indicated in the previous section. If you answered (N) to the category, enter “N/A” or leave the box blank for that category.
Primary Care: (300 character limit)


Medical or Social service for underserved area: (300 character limit)


Community or Public Health: (300 character limit)


Section 2

Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters, optional)


Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Go to the UH College of Medicine mission for more information. (1500 character limit)
 
@wysdoc

Prompts:

Section 1a
I have prior experience in primary care setting (general internal medicine physician, a general pediatrician, or a family medicine physician).

Yes/No

I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area:

Yes/No

I have prior experience in community or public health:

Yes/No

Section 1b
Describe the setting (urban/inner city; suburban; rural); your role and responsibilities; and approximate date range for any of the experiences you indicated in the previous section. If you answered (N) to the category, enter “N/A” or leave the box blank for that category.
Primary Care: (300 character limit)


Medical or Social service for underserved area: (300 character limit)


Community or Public Health: (300 character limit)


Section 2

Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters, optional)


Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Go to the UH College of Medicine mission for more information. (1500 character limit)
The essay prompts didn’t change. That’s good
 
Really don’t know much about this school, but if I wanted to pursue a competitive specialty should I still apply here since they primarily produce primary care physicians?
No one's gonna stop you from pursuing a competitive specialty just because you go to UH (which focuses on primary care). If you have the bandwidth to pay the $60 secondary fee & write the essays, why not? None of us here can answer the question of whether or not you should apply here because it's a personal decision that you should make for yourself.
 
Really don’t know much about this school, but if I wanted to pursue a competitive specialty should I still apply here since they primarily produce primary care physicians?
Check out the secondary questions. They exist to filter you out in reality so you wouldnt have to make a decision.

Medical schools have specific aims during the recruitment process. When they admit people, they dont expect everyone who graduates to stick to their mission. A majority of residents are studying internal medicine which is primary care. Do you want to hazard a guess as to how many of those end up pursuing a specialty fellowship after that primary care residency?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When they ask for experience in primary care settings, I imagine that doesn't include shadowing?
 
Anyone in-state still waiting for a secondary application?
I am waiting, but last year I looked at their thread and it looks like they sent all the secondaries at once and never really went back for older applications 🙁 I hope that is not the case though.
 
I am waiting, but last year I looked at their thread and it looks like they sent all the secondaries at once and never really went back for older applications 🙁 I hope that is not the case though.
They didnt screen for secondaries last year. This is the first year. Or atleast, that is my impression.