-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 U Houston (Fertitta)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
read their mission statement it's pretty clear what they want.Does anyone know what Houston screens for? academics or mission fit?
I don't have any numbers about how many secondaries they send compared to number of applicants.
I was under the impression they have been screening secondaries since they formed.They didnt screen for secondaries last year. This is the first year. Or atleast, that is my impression.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medapplicant4
Full Member
Is anyone else experiencing issues with copying and pasting text into the boxes in section A? I always write my essays in a Word doc to make sure I don't lose my progress bc sometimes, the application page runs out of time without me noticing so I don't want to risk anything. The problem is that I can't copy and paste full paragraphs into this section.
Also, section A text boxes seem to only show one long line at a time so idk if my paragraphs will look good when the admission committee reads my essays 🙁
Any solutions?
Also, section A text boxes seem to only show one long line at a time so idk if my paragraphs will look good when the admission committee reads my essays 🙁
Any solutions?
so you're thinking if someone doesn't get a secondary by today (ish), that they won't get one? family member has LM81, IS, and primary care/underserved focused app and didn't get one. things that make you say hmmm...I am waiting, but last year I looked at their thread and it looks like they sent all the secondaries at once and never really went back for older applications 🙁 I hope that is not the case though.
I am not thinking that. I am just saying what I saw from last years thread. I saying what I saw not what I think. Hopefully, they send more secondaries for the applications completed earlier on and family member gets the opportunity to get a secondary.so you're thinking if someone doesn't get a secondary by today (ish), that they won't get one? family member has LM81, IS, and primary care/underserved focused app and didn't get one. things that make you say hmmm...
Edit: I very well think they can send more secondaries to older applicants, but last year that was not the case.
The very first secondaries were sent out this weekso you're thinking if someone doesn't get a secondary by today (ish), that they won't get one? family member has LM81, IS, and primary care/underserved focused app and didn't get one. things that make you say hmmm...
Please all of you be calm and don’t make assumptions.
Almost all of the other TMDSAS schools send secondaries to everyone with a complete application.
This school screens for mission fit so it takes some time to read your primary to see what you have written.
Last edited:
I'd also like to add that I didn't get the confirmation of my primary being submitted until about 2 days after everyone on SDN did, even though I was verified in mid June. They may have grouped us into batches that are spread a couple days apart🤷♂️I am not thinking that. I am just saying what I saw from last years thread. I saying what I saw not what I think. Hopefully, they send more secondaries for the applications completed earlier on and family member gets the opportunity to get a secondary.
Edit: I very well think they can send more secondaries to older applicants, but last year that was not the case.
Last edited:
Wouldn't ya know it, just got a secondary. + 1 IS secondary, verified 6/21I'd also like to add that I didn't get the confirmation of my primary being submitted until about 2 days after everyone on SDN did, even though I was verified in mid June. They may have grouped us into batches that are spread a couple days apart🤷♂️
Received IS
+1 IS secondary, verified 7/11
Hanako-kun
Full Member
+1 IS verified 06/22
Hanako-kun
Full Member
I do not have any primary care experience but I am interested in pursuing primary care (pediatrics). Do you know how crucial it is to have previous primary care experience?
Thats amazing! Hopefully, I get one soon!Wouldn't ya know it, just got a secondary. + 1 IS secondary, verified 6/21
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1177773
+1Thats amazing! Hopefully, I get one soon!
D
deleted1177773
OOS Secondary in my Spam!!
BluthBananaStand
Full Member
Yes/No
I have prior experience in community or public health:
Could anyone specify what would count as community or public health? I volunteered at my college campus's healthcare clinic that served the student body, would that be applicable?
I have prior experience in community or public health:
Could anyone specify what would count as community or public health? I volunteered at my college campus's healthcare clinic that served the student body, would that be applicable?
There are 3 distinct Yes/No questions in 1A. your experience sounds like it fits under the first one -Yes/No
I have prior experience in community or public health:
Could anyone specify what would count as community or public health? I volunteered at my college campus's healthcare clinic that served the student body, would that be applicable?
primary care setting (general internal medicine physician, a general pediatrician, or a family medicine physician).
Yes/No
Community would be if you served in a clinic that is treating general public.
D
deleted1177773
What would be an example of 3?There are 3 distinct Yes/No questions in 1A. your experience sounds like it fits under the first one -
primary care setting (general internal medicine physician, a general pediatrician, or a family medicine physician).
Yes/No
Community would be if you served in a clinic that is treating general public.
Community would be if you served in a clinic that is treating general public.What would be an example of 3?
D
deleted1177773
Do most people still say not complete?
Just got my complete application email. Interview invitations start the week of August 12th and are virtual. Applications with a focus on primary care will be prioritized.Do most people still say not complete?
IS +1 LM 73
Secondary? When did you submit?IS +1 LM 73
yes it is a community hospital.Would volunteering at a Safety Net hospital be considered public health?
madidrenowatz14
New Member
received secondary july 24, 2024. am instate
when did you submit?received secondary july 24, 2024. am instate
madidrenowatz14
New Member
today, 07/26when did you submit?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For this "Section 1a I have prior experience in primary care setting (general internal medicine physician, a general pediatrician, or a family medicine physician)."
I was wondering if it would be alright to talk about my experience in an internal medicine subspecialty (endocrinology and rheumatology) could be used to explain why I am interested in primary care, or is it strictly asking for general internal medicine.
I was wondering if it would be alright to talk about my experience in an internal medicine subspecialty (endocrinology and rheumatology) could be used to explain why I am interested in primary care, or is it strictly asking for general internal medicine.
Has anyone received an email back about getting their secondary application fee waived?
Me you need to send them the fee waiver receipt
AppleDestroyer
Full Member
Can confirm this, I sent them an email with a copy of my Fee Assistance approval message and they waived it very quickly. They sent me an email to confirm and my portal was updated to show the fee as being waived.Has anyone received an email back about getting their secondary application fee waived?
premed25548384
Full Member
Is the optional secondary prompt truly optional? Can you talk about hardship for it or is it only for extenuating circumstances?
medapplicant4
Full Member
I really can't tell if the place I used to work at was urban, inner city, or suburban. It def wasn't rural lol but the city isn't huge tbh. It's just a regular city. How did you guys specify location in section 1-b?
I would classify as what you think it is and if they disagree with you they will take it as such and just wont consider it like how you thought it was. That is probably the best advice.I really can't tell if the place I used to work at was urban, inner city, or suburban. It def wasn't rural lol but the city isn't huge tbh. It's just a regular city. How did you guys specify location in section 1-b?
D
deleted1085576
secondary or interview invite?+1 IS today!
secondary, they are not sending interviews until august 12thsecondary or interview invite?
submitted 6/9 processed 6/21Secondary? When did you submit
hellokittydoctor22
New Member
Got secondary today 7/29; had gotten email from them saying they got my primary on 07/152024-2025 U Houston (Fertitta) Secondary Essay Prompts:
Section 1a
I have prior experience in primary care setting (general internal medicine physician, a general pediatrician, or a family medicine physician).
Yes/No
I have prior experience in a medical practice or social service for an underserved area:
Yes/No
I have prior experience in community or public health:
Yes/No
Section 1b
Describe the setting (urban/inner city; suburban; rural); your role and responsibilities; and approximate date range for any of the experiences you indicated in the previous section. If you answered (N) to the category, enter “N/A” or leave the box blank for that category.
-Primary Care: (300 character limit)
-Medical or Social service for underserved area: (300 character limit)
-Community or Public Health: (300 character limit)
Section 2
-Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application. (750 characters, optional)
-Describe up to 3 of your activities/life experiences that align with our mission. Explain how they might demonstrate a commitment to underserved communities. The examples you select must be included in TMDSAS primary application. Go to the UH College of Medicine mission for more information. (1500 character limit)
Good luck to all applying!
Interview Feedback:
![]()
University of Houston Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine Admissions, Tuition & Student Feedback | SDN
Admissions data, tuition, degrees, location, interview feedback, essay prompts, and SDN forum links for UHFCOM on SDN Schools Database.www.studentdoctor.net
They are specific about education getting impacted by employment/family or other obligations.For this question: Describe any employment, family or other obligations that impacted your education that are NOT already indicated in your TMDSAS application.
could I write about COVID-19 and how it affected my employment and education?
Essentially they are trying to see if you did badly for a short or long while at school because you had to work to make money to support yourself or take care of your family or anything else affecting your grades or missing a semester etc.
futureobgyny
Full Member
just got a secondary 8/6!! they emailed me that they had my primary on 7/3 LM 64.4
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm so confused on what is meant by "community or public health." Doesn't all medicine serve a community? Forgive me if I'm being stupid but I don't really understand what qualifies as "community/public health"
For example, I did some hospice volunteering, would this count as community health?
For example, I did some hospice volunteering, would this count as community health?
Yes.I'm so confused on what is meant by "community or public health." Doesn't all medicine serve a community? Forgive me if I'm being stupid but I don't really understand what qualifies as "community/public health"
For example, I did some hospice volunteering, would this count as community health?
Anyone having issues with the secondary? every section of it says "this page is closed" and won't allow me to click/type anything :/
ricefanatic
Full Member
Are you over the 2 week mark? They have a hard deadline, maybe that's why this is happening.Anyone having issues with the secondary? every section of it says "this page is closed" and won't allow me to click/type anything :/
D
deleted1085576
I’m wondering if it might be due to the strict two week deadline they have for secondaries — is there a chance yours is past that deadline?
Anyone having issues with the secondary? every section of it says "this page is closed" and won't allow me to click/type anything :/