3.3 uGPA, 514 MCAT - SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member212121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
BA Psychology - private liberal arts college
cGPA: 3.3 (2.8 freshman year - 3.5 senior year)
sGPA: 3.0

MCAT (september 2015)
C/P: 127
CARS: 130
B/B: 126
P/S: 131
Composite: 514

- Spent two semesters in a clinical psychology PsyD program before withdrawing to apply to med school (3.9GPA)
- Research: minimal - project as senior with a psychology grad student - no publication
- Volunteer: youth development programs
- Field experience: shadowing 2 MDs, regional training conference for military psychology
- Crew team member for 4 years in college, captain senior year (self-funded and organized club, handled cabinet of 10 students, hired a coach, wrangled 40 students' schedules, etc.)

Would an SMP be worthwhile? I haven't seen many people with medium-high MCAT and low GPA floating around. Any help is appreciated.

*EDIT: FL resident

Members don't see this ad.

With that sGPA unless you have a strong upward trend in the sciences yes I think it might be a good idea to really consider an SMP. Note do some research on the risks involved in SMP's, which are the most ideal programs and know what you are getting into. Note if you are open to the DO route a much easier and safer route is simply re-taking any classes you got C's and lower in as your sGPA can skyrocket doing this and you will be a viable DO candidate fast.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how much it matters but your MCAT score is pretty unbalanced, and the lowest ones are sciences. They may see a red flag in that.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure how much it matters but your MCAT score is pretty unbalanced, and the lowest ones are sciences. They may see a red flag in that.

I understand my score is unbalanced, but are the sciences really low enough to raise red flags? I assumed that since they translate to 8-9s (roughly) on the old test that it wouldn't be a problem.

Your MCAT is fine. A 130 CARs score is impressive. Your academic performance is what needs work. An SMP is probably in order if you are all in on the MD; if you are open to the DO route re-taking all C's or lower while acing some new upper level science courses via DIY post-bacc will suffice. If you can bump up your sGPA in the process to say around a 3.25 through this who knows; maybe even your state MD program or some lower tier MD program might be interested. But all in all you should be under the expectation you'll need an SMP to really be a strong MD candidate and some grade replacement to become a good DO candidate.

Why would a good MCAT score be a red flag??????? It won't salvage a lethal sGPA.

I was under the impression an unbalanced score was something that schools take notice of but I guess I misspoke? That's why I said may, I'm not really sure it's only what I've been told by my pre-professional advisement office. Though I should probably take what they say with a grain of salt. I wasn't at all suggesting a retake for the MCAT it's definitely a great score.

I do agree with everyone about the sGPA, if anything that's the one thing you should bump up and I'd say go DO since it's probably quicker. Honestly it's a great choice and I've met plenty of them in the hospital and for the most part they matched pretty darn well for residencies. One of them was even the chief resident for trauma.

Thank you all for the input. Confirmed the SMP is my best option. Since I only learned about them a few weeks ago I wanted to hear from someone other than the admissions offices at the programs.

I was under the impression an unbalanced score was something that schools take notice of but I guess I misspoke? That's why I said may, I'm not really sure it's only what I've been told by my pre-professional advisement office. Though I should probably take what they say with a grain of salt. I wasn't at all suggesting a retake for the MCAT it's definitely a great score.

I do agree with everyone about the sGPA, if anything that's the one thing you should bump up and I'd say go DO since it's probably quicker. Honestly it's a great choice and I've met plenty of them in the hospital and for the most part they matched pretty darn well for residencies. One of them was even the chief resident for trauma.

That's not an unbalanced score.