MD 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, retaking MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lowGPA_highdesire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my retake MCAT score back and have scored the same both times (slightly different subscores but same composite - 495), despite scoring 508s on practice tests. I'm wondering what my chances are if I can boost my mcat and what people's thoughts are on retaking the mcat for the third time. I'm trying to not be discouraged, but I am at a loss for what to do right now due to the initial shock of the score.

I am currently double majoring in Neuroscience and Health Studies at a top 15 school.

cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.2.
Both GPAs showing good upward trend with Dean's List awarded for several semesters.

Excellent ECs
Strong LORs
1000s of Shadowing hours across several specialities
1000s of hours volunteering in both children and adult hospitals
1000s of hours in research with several publications (3) as lead author
Internship at a top hospital

I am planning on getting a master's from a top 10 school (already accepted into their program) and then plan to take a year off to work and study to retake the mcat with a hopes of doing better.

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can increase your MCAT to 500 or higher you would have a chance for interviews at some of the newer DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can increase your MCAT to 500 or higher you would have a chance for interviews at some of the newer DO schools.
Do you think I would have a chance at MD if I get my masters from a top med school's program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I would have a chance at MD if I get my masters from a top med school's program?
It is your MCAT that is the problem so that is what you need to fix. You need 508 on the MCAT to have a reasonable chance for a MD interview and remember that many schools average MCAT scores.

It is your MCAT that is the problem so that is what you need to fix. You need 508 on the MCAT to have a reasonable chance for a MD interview and remember that many schools average MCAT scores.
I know I will be able to get it up higher because of what I was scoring on my practice tests. I am hoping that by doing this masters program and taking some time off, I will be able to figure out what it is that I was doing wrong on the actual exam! Thanks so much for the help :)

How exactly does one get 1000+ shadowing hours?

But on a serious note I work in a doctors office as a MA, i will probably get 500+ hours easy with a couple doctors there

Taking the MCAT a third time is def the way to go... you need to increase your score for MD. I am proof you can take it three times and be accepted... I went from a 26 to 501 so no real increase, then on my third attempt I scored a 511 and was accepted to an MD this cycle. ( I applied with a 501 last cycle, all MD, and didn't receive a single interview!) So save your money and increase your score before your apply! Trust me I wasted sooo much money the 1st cycle. Good luck :)

Not just how...but WHY? :confused:

I've been shadowing since my first year and have shadowed at least 2-3 hrs each week of the school year plus some additional while I'm at home. It's actually required for a program I am in, so it really isn't that insane when it's all broken down. Also, the bulk of my shadowing experience has come in the summers while I am in the clinics and the OR on a daily basis!

Taking the MCAT a third time is def the way to go... you need to increase your score for MD. I am proof you can take it three times and be accepted... I went from a 26 to 501 so no real increase, then on my third attempt I scored a 511 and was accepted to an MD this cycle. ( I applied with a 501 last cycle, all MD, and didn't receive a single interview!) So save your money and increase your score before your apply! Trust me I wasted sooo much money the 1st cycle. Good luck :)

This is so wonderful to hear - thank you! Do you mind if I ask you your stats?

Also... CONGRATS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I don't think you need to score much higher to secure an interview. I know many med students that scored in the low 500s and received interviews and subsequent acceptances to respectable schools. As long as you present yourself well in your application and show your personality and passions in your written materials, many schools will want to get to know you through an interview.

Just got my retake MCAT score back and have scored the same both times (slightly different subscores but same composite - 495), despite scoring 508s on practice tests. I'm wondering what my chances are if I can boost my mcat and what people's thoughts are on retaking the mcat for the third time. I'm trying to not be discouraged, but I am at a loss for what to do right now due to the initial shock of the score.

I am currently double majoring in Neuroscience and Health Studies at a top 15 school.

cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.2.
Both GPAs showing good upward trend with Dean's List awarded for several semesters.

Excellent ECs
Strong LORs
1000s of Shadowing hours across several specialities
1000s of hours volunteering in both children and adult hospitals
1000s of hours in research with several publications (3) as lead author
Internship at a top hospital

I am planning on getting a master's from a top 10 school (already accepted into their program) and then plan to take a year off to work and study to retake the mcat with a hopes of doing better.

What are my chances?
your sGPA is going to get you the boot from most MD schools...
not trying to be rude just realistic

-retake MCAT (508 at least) \
-apply broadly to DO schools

This is so wonderful to hear - thank you! Do you mind if I ask you your stats?
I had a undergrad GPA of 3.8 overall my science GPA was higher than non science... but I don't remember the exact numbers.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think you need to score much higher to secure an interview. I know many med students that scored in the low 500s and received interviews and subsequent acceptances to respectable schools. As long as you present yourself well in your application and show your personality and passions in your written materials, many schools will want to get to know you through an interview.
Thank you!! That is good to hear. I know my science GPA is not great, but I am hoping the upward trend helps. Also, the masters program.

your sGPA is going to get you the boot from most MD schools...
not trying to be rude just realistic

-retake MCAT (508 at least) \
-apply broadly to DO schools
I know the science GPA is not the best, but also is it wrong to think that because of the caliber of the school I went to for undergrad (known for grade deflation), will end up giving me a little boost? I am not opposed to DO, just curious.

I know the science GPA is not the best, but also is it wrong to think that because of the caliber of the school I went to for undergrad (known for grade deflation), will end up giving me a little boost? I am not opposed to DO, just curious.
I'm mainly speaking from personal experience and the experiences of others on this site. People in your situation have a lot more luck with DO schools. I had 3.6/3.6 and didn't get a lot of love from MD but TONs of DO interviews. Just kill the MCAT and you will be golden

Thank you!! That is good to hear. I know my science GPA is not great, but I am hoping the upward trend helps. Also, the masters program.
Master's grades are not considered in the evaluation of undergrad gpa.
They appear on a separate line and are not averaged into the screening score (for MD schools). We expect all A's in Master's programs.
DO's see things differently.

I'm mainly speaking from personal experience and the experiences of others on this site. People in your situation have a lot more luck with DO schools. I had 3.6/3.6 and didn't get a lot of love from MD but TONs of DO interviews. Just kill the MCAT and you will be golden
I intend on retaking it and CRUSHING it!!!! I am not adverse to DO schools, I just wanna make sure I maximize my options. Thank you for your help!!!

Master's grades are not considered in the evaluation of undergrad gpa.
They appear on a separate line and are not averaged into the screening score (for MD schools). We expect all A's in Master's programs.
DO's see things differently.
Thanks for the response - I intend on doing as well as I can in the program (hopefully all A's!!!!) I know that MD is a long shot, but do you think I have a decent chance?

Thanks for the response - I intend on doing as well as I can in the program (hopefully all A's!!!!) I know that MD is a long shot, but do you think I have a decent chance?
Two sub-500 MCAT scores will be difficult to overcome for MD unless you are from a very lucky state.

Two sub-500 MCAT scores will be difficult to overcome for MD unless you are from a very lucky state.
How about Illinois? Also, what happens with my MCAT scores if I apply three years past the date I took them?

How about Illinois? Also, what happens with my MCAT scores if I apply three years past the date I took them?
24% of IL applicants matriculate IS, but the mean MCAT is 31.6 (equivalent to about 510-511), . The mean gpa is 3.67 (SD 0.28).

All MCAT scores remain visible and are considered even when they are no longer recent enough for eligibility.