This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rivers322

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm anticipating having to reapply the next cycle and I would greatly appreciate advice on a school list (I'm so overwhelmed by all the factors). I graduated from a decent state school (2019) and already took a gap year before applying the first time (2020), so I'll have taken 2 gap years before applying the second time. 2IIs and 2WLs listed below, preII Rs or ghosted from rest.

My previous application (with things that will change when reapplying in bold):
-cGPA: 3.70, sGPA 3.65 (Bio BS, Spanish for the Health Professions minor, chem minor, 3 years)
-MCAT: (511) 127/129/125/130, 515 (129/128/130/128)
-ORM (white but middle eastern), female

-PAID CLINICAL EXPERIENCE:
  • 153 hrs, expected 800 more prior to matriculation- Emergency room scribe (actual total is 200 - had to move across the country back home due to covid)
  • 900 hrs- HemOnc (breast ca) scribe 900 by the time I apply, I work about 120 hrs month so expect additional 1440 hours between app and matriculation
  • covid vax clinic- 50 hours before applying, clerical work and may group with scribe because same company
-RESEARCH: (most meaningful)
  • 600 hrs over 2 years, translational research through burn center of hospital (I have more research from previous years but didn't feel significant enough to mention)
  • publications- (3rd auth in abstract published in Jo of Immunology/same abstract in the American College of Surgeons as second author, forgot to mention this last year lol. I also have my name on a oral presentation and poster second auth in one idk if that's worth listing)
-LEADERSHIP: (most meaningful) (also non clinical volunteering but leadership felt more significant?)
  • 850 hrs- student led nonprofit benefiting patients in children's hospital directly: participated my full 3 years in college first as a member (150 hours), then sub chair (250 hours), and then as committee chair/exec member (450 hours - my proudest accomplishment and probably actually most meaningful activity.
-ARTISTIC ENDEAVOR: (most meaningful)
  • 3300 hrs- violin 14 years of playing, many orchestras, festivals, free lessons, etc
-CLINICAL VOLUNTEER/SHADOWING:
  • 60 hrs- bilingual educator in hospital (spanish and English) over 2 school years
  • 440 hrs- shadowed in high school 2014-2019, various specialties/doctors 40+40+320+40 hours (trying to do more shadowing now)
- NON-CLINICAL VOLUNTEER:
  • 64 hours over 2 school years- Tutor/mentor to ESL kids- I was an ESL kid so this was super meaningful and I really wanted to mention it in case they asked me about it in an interview so I could tell them about my kiddos.
  • 170 hrs- (2011-2018) mentor to turkish children- various schools/communities as I moved around
  • just started teaching English to kids in rural turkey online, the group I'm part of raised money to buy them tablets (1 hour a week so not much I guess)
  • just started working with a premed club at my old high school connecting members to current med students who were alum of the hs
-PAID NON-CLINICAL:
  • 695 hrs over 2 summers- 300 hours where I was a manager/trainer at one restaurant and 395 hours the summer before where i was a regular server
  • 170 hrs- office assistant over a semester (not gonna mention this again)
  • 300hrs- babysitting- 2 girls, 6 and 8 y/o (is this worth putting on there? I helped with homework and whatnot)
-EXTRACURRICULARS:
  • 250 hours- Professional chem frat member, first publicity chair, big little coordinator
-PERSONAL STATEMENT:
  • broken up in paragraphs was basically: immigrant, shadowed, non profit (patients), research, scribe, all tied together with a theme of communication/cultural barriers.
-SCHOOLS I APPLIED to: (I went on msar, put in my stats and had to narrow my list down in like 2 weeks)
  • UNC (IS, interviewed 11/16, WL), GWU SMHS (interviewed 10/26, WL), Albert Einstein, Stony Brook, BostonU, Tufts, Drexel, SKMC, VCU, UIC COM, UVA, MUSC (lol i have no ties), UCLA (lol shoot my shot)
  • Did not send secondaries but will now be a reapplicant anyway rip: Emory, EVMS, Keck USC, Brody ECU, Georgetown, UColorado, Icahn at Mt Sinai
I would like to pursue MD only for international practice reasons (if I decide I want to leave the country for any reason I would like to be able to practice with less obstacles that a DO might have. If I don't get into any MDs again I'm willing to take more time off to strengthen my app! I really like oncology but I'm open to primary care/rural practice/academic medicine, (literally wherever life takes me, I'm excited to spend the rest of my life learning though!). I'd prefer P/F schools so that there's more teamwork/less competitiveness lol im not cut-throat.

Any advice on school list/anything else (how to repackage, new activities I should pursue etc) would be greatly appreciated! I anticipate applying to about 25-30 schools this time! TIA!! Love this website so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was there some reason you did not apply to your other state public school- East Carolina ?
I realized I couldn't really see myself happy there for 4 years (I had spent a summer at brody in high school and I just wasn't a big fan of Greenville, NC...) So it was at the bottom of my list of priorities and I just didn't get to it (I also was irked that their secondary was basically rewrite your entire app that you spent months on but in 500 words...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I see 7 schools on your list that were realistic with your stats and North Carolina residency and you received interviews at 2 of them. If you need to reapply I suggest these schools:
East Carolina
UNC
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I see 7 schools on your list that were realistic with your stats and North Carolina residency and you received interviews at 2 of them. If you need to reapply I suggest these schools:
East Carolina
UNC
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
This is very helpful thank you!!

@Faha @Goro Would y'all recommend I wait another year to reapply? I am just not sure what I would do in a year that would particularly change my app... Or would spending more time crafting a school list and repackaging my app in the next 2 months and applying as soon as the cycle opens be sufficient for those schools?
Thanks for your time btw!!

@Faha @Goro Would y'all recommend I wait another year to reapply? I am just not sure what I would do in a year that would particularly change my app... Or would spending more time crafting a school list and repackaging my app in the next 2 months and applying as soon as the cycle opens be sufficient for those schools?
Thanks for your time btw!!
Include DO schools in your reapplication and you do not need to wait another year. For DO schools consider these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
LECOM (all schools)

I see 7 schools on your list that were realistic with your stats
Hi! Finalizing my list now, which 7 were you talking about? Here is what is still on my list this year:
-UNC
-GW
-EVMS
-Georgetown
-UIC
-Albert Einstein (I'm not that into research so I'm thinking about taking this one off)
-UColorado (I really like the area)
-Drexel/SKMC (trying to choose one)
-Tufts/BostonU (trying to choose one)
-Emory (this is my only "reach" school on my list, I have a great support system in the area and would die for an MD/MPH so I kinda wanna keep this if it's not 100% a donation)

Here is the rest of my school list btw with what I've narrowed down: (pls lmk if I'm wasting my money with any of these)
Wake Forest
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Loyola
TCU-UNT
Miami
USF
Virginia tech
Cincinnati
Tulane

Thank you!!

Hi! Finalizing my list now, which 7 were you talking about? Here is what is still on my list this year:
-UNC
-GW
-EVMS
-Georgetown
-UIC
-Albert Einstein (I'm not that into research so I'm thinking about taking this one off)
-UColorado (I really like the area)
-Drexel/SKMC (trying to choose one)
-Tufts/BostonU (trying to choose one)
-Emory (this is my only "reach" school on my list, I have a great support system in the area and would die for an MD/MPH so I kinda wanna keep this if it's not 100% a donation)

Here is the rest of my school list btw with what I've narrowed down: (pls lmk if I'm wasting my money with any of these)
Wake Forest
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Loyola
TCU-UNT
Miami
USF
Virginia tech
Cincinnati
Tulane

Thank you!!
You have a good list. Can you afford the non resident tuition at UIC ?