3.83 GPA, 517 MCAT, Upwards Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exonfactor12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
God shot at getting into a top 10. However, it is entirely random and you should apply to all of them if that is your goal. You may want Harvard but Duke gives you the interview. You may want Sinai but Cornell extends the interview. The idea is that the top 10 are real finicky and having your heart set on one could lead to disappointment. I think you have a good shot at some of the top 10s, however which one, no one can say for certain...

Reactions: 1 users
I am curious as to my chances of getting into a top 10 school with these stats:

Overall GPA: 3.82
Science GPA: 3.80
MCAT: 517
Race: White
Leadership:
-President/Founder of an organization focused on bringing a diverse population of students towards a cause of benefitting the underrepresented minorities in a town close to my University (2.5 years)
-Vice President of a social service organization on campus
-Director of Operations for a leadership conference through my University's student center (1.5 years)
-Research Assistant in cancer lab with 1000+ hours of research and 2 publications and mentoring students (4 years)
-Tutoring at local high school with 500 hours (2.5 years)
-Member Relations Committee for the only national conference on student government (2 years)
-A full summer in India working at a Leprosy Clinic(900 hours)
Additional ECs:
-Volunteer with 500 hours in Emergency Department at a hospital afilliated with one of my top choices in Texas Medical Center (4 years)
-AMSA member
-1 internship at University of Cambridge w/ 1 publication in cancer
-1 internship at Ivy League School w/ 1 publication in cancer
-Player for University's Men's Soccer Team
Shadowing:
-450 hours of shadowing variety of about 30 doctors
LORs: Strong, 1 specifically from a very well-known director and MD/PhD and leading researcher in his respective field.

By the end of my fall semester of sophomore year, I had a 3.5ish GPA for both 2 Q-drops . This was because I did not know how to manage my time well and I lost focus as to what I wanted to do. I quickly switched out of my major (engineering) and into a new one (economics). From there I have maintained a 4.0 and I graduate in May. From there, I plan to apply and continue with my work in India. I believe this displays a strong upwards trend.

What are my chances of getting into a top 10 school, top 20 school, and top 30 school? My top choices are Harvard, Mount Sinai, and Baylor University.

What could I do to boost my app?
You're golden; aim high.

I suggest having some fun, you don't have to be Mother Teresa.

IF you insists, service ot others less fortunate than yourself is always good. But get off campus.

Reactions: 1 user
You're golden; aim high.

I suggest having some fun, you don't have to be Mother Teresa.

IF you insists, service ot others less fortunate than yourself is always good. But get off campus.
Yeah, maybe if he spent 300 hours in a hospice it would really round out his application - but even as he is, he's quite the applicant. What could get him from golden to platinum, other than something like a first-author Nature paper or Olympic medal?