This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

namaste08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- not sure if I should post here but I am desperate! I am graduating from a northeast public university in the spring with BS in pubhlth. Science GPA 3.98 Nonscience GPA 4.0, MCAT 512. Currently enrolled in a 1 year accelerated MPH at the same university, but not impressed with the classes I am taking for it currently so I may just take time off and work as a CNA in a hospital (is that a bad idea?). Experience - 500 hours as a CNA in a nursing home, 1.5 years research/program development on a youth development program in northwest Alaska (travelled there on grant), 300 volunteer hours (non medical, more like big brother/big sister, unpaid non CNA nursing home volunteer, sexual assault community education, homeless shelter).. unfortunately no shadowing as I thought CNA would be better use of my time/ I have followed my MD mom around since I was a kid.
I really want to be a PCP in underserved communities.. do I have chances at UMass med, tufts, dartmouth? I have heard these places are best for that. I am having trouble on MSAR figuring out what private universities beyond northeast accept people despite geographic distance. Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:

U VM
USF Morsani (maybe)
Duke (maybe)
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
U MA
Any DO program, starting with UNECOM

I suggest:

U VM
USF Morsani (maybe)
Duke (maybe)
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
U MA

Both? Or one or the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

U VM
USF Morsani (maybe)
Duke (maybe)
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
U MA

Does UVM still stand given I am from MA? Also, do I even bother applying to DO with no DO recommendations?

U VT is one of the few state schools that doesn't have a true bias for ISers, at least when looking at IIs and matriculants. The fact that you're next door can't hurt.

There are plenty of DO schools that will accept an MD LOR (like mine). But it always helps to have one.

Does UVM still stand given I am from MA? Also, do I even bother applying to DO with no DO recommendations?

I would find some shadowing other than your mom.... Good idea to find a DO or some other specialty to gain exposure.

Shadowing isn't super important but I agree with the above. I wouldn't even put shadowing your mom on your app as family member experiences like that mean practically nothing to adcoms. Go out and get a few hours in in like 1-2 specialties, about 30 should be enough with your clinical exposure.

Shadowing isn't super important but I agree with the above. I wouldn't even put shadowing your mom on your app as family member experiences like that mean practically nothing to adcoms. Go out and get a few hours in in like 1-2 specialties, about 30 should be enough with your clinical exposure.
no intention to put shadowing my mom as hours... Just explanation for why I didn't bother doing it in the first place.

no intention to put shadowing my mom as hours... Just explanation for why I didn't bother doing it in the first place.
This doesn't really fly. If anything, you are a child of privilege with plenty of access. Do you have some other lens by which to convince us that you know what you are getting into? I do see it. You just need to show us.

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't really fly. If anything, you are a child of privilege with plenty of access. Do you have some other lens by which to convince us that you know what you are getting into? I do see it. You just need to show us.
I worked as a CNA and did lots of public health work as opposed to just shadowing. I preferred to be contributing something, regardless of how small it definitely was haha