3rd Year Engineering Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBioEngineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently in my 3rd year of undergrad studying Biomedical Engineering at Ohio State University. I plan on graduating in 5 years (due to engineering being packed as it is & having to fit in pre-med classes). I Currently have a 2.9 but am going to get a projected 3.7 this semester. I did very bad in some classes my freshman & sophomore year due to anxiety problems(I had to take medicine for it) & just not really knowing how to study effectively or the right way that works best for me. This semester I have figured it out and will most likely be getting a 3.7 with 18 hours of very rigorous pre-med & engineering classes. I feel like now that I have conquered my own anxiety problems & discovered how I study best I could average about a 3.7 per semester for the next 2.5 years. I only need to take o chem labs and anatomy to finish my pre-med pre reqs.

I calculated my GPA if I can accomplish this and when I graduate (end of 5th year) I would have a 3.38 & when I would actually apply for medical school (end of 4th year) I would have a 3.22. I have gotten some some C's & a D that I am not proud of at all, but they weren't pre-med classes. (Do you think I should re-take any classes??) If I only get mostly A's and some B's for the next couple years will medical school admission committees like that I finished with an upward trend and improved my GPA? I know some med schools don't care about your major & don't give harder ones that much weight, but will the fact that I took one of the hardest curriculums(Engineering) in undergrad be taken into account when they see my GPA? I am planning on studying for the MCAT this upcoming summer and then taking it the following spring & hopefully doing really well since I've heard engineers generally do very well on the MCAT.

I have 6 months of research experience and will continue to do research until I graduate & publish in journals, present at forums, and get my name on papers in my lab. I have shadowed an anesthesiologist for a couple weeks before & EC-wise I am a part of two clubs but that's it :( I'm planning on shadowing more & possibly becoming a scribe for the summer to gain patient exposure. I also need to volunteer (so many things lol :\ ).

I want you guys to give me honest feedback on what you think my chances are & what I could do these next 2.5 years to make my application more competitive and better to admission committees. & let me know what I could improve on. Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ace your classes here on out. Take easier classes if you can. Schools don't care if you did engineering or psych, it's all the same to them. GPA is what matters. Strong upward trend and killing the MCAT will make your case.