3rd year rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OR4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a do student with some of flexibility in my 3rd year but because of my rotation dates, hospital requirements, and my schedule I am unable to sign up for any 3rd year EM rotations. I have 1 rotation left after my current rotation in 3rd year. I am currently doing a family rotation, and its chill enough, 9-4 or 5 usually with downtime to study.

I was thinking about scheduling my next rotation as FM here again for my last rotation of 3rd year and studying for my upcoming step 2

Would it look bad to do what would effectively be my 3rd FM rotation of 3rd year or would it not matter (the 1st one was required) I won't be doing any 4th year but I don't want programs to think that I am interested in FM, I will be doing 3-4 EM rotations 4th year hopefully; is this something that would come up in interviews possibly as conflict of interest since I would have chosen to do my elective rotations in FM or am I overthinking this?

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely over thinking this. Medical school rotations should only be done with three very important goals.

1. It is required and you have no choice in the matter.

2. It is what you want to do, or allows you the opportunity to get valuable clinical skills that will serve you well in your future (like anesthesia for an EM hopeful)

3. It is none of the above two, and therefore should be the least time consuming easiest breeziest rotation available to you

Class Dismissed.

Can you do an EM related elective (such as anesthesia, ICU, radiology, critical care, trauma, optho, ortho, hand )? Other schools don't have EM in year 3 so that should not be a big deal. Just do EM early in 4th year, do well and get good letters.