4th year scheduling / gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnedoots

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question for the PDs or residents that are familiar with residency application from the admin side of things. This is one of those questions that I'd love to ask my school's EM advisor but.....

I have to take one of my 8 week 3rd year core rotations at the beginning of my 4th year next year. This 8 weeker will be done by middle of August. I then need to complete two EM rotations for SLOEs. I can do one at my home institution and then need to do an away. Even assuming I can get them done back to back, I'd be done by October. I'd then need to wait for the SLOEs to be completed. So, optimistically, I'm thinking end of October I'd have my SLOEs into ERAS.

How would the SLOEs being in this late effect my application? Is it similar to med school apps where you want your completed app in the day the application is open? Should I consider taking a gap year so as to not be rushed through the process?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

This is one of those questions that I'd love to ask my school's EM advisor but.....

But what? Ask your advisor.

You don't need your entire application in by opening day and taking a gap year to apply is utterly silly. Just get everything in as soon as possible. That said, why don't you ask your school if you can take this core class in Sept or October instead?

Reactions: 1 user
Similar to what I said in another topic just a few minutes ago:

Your minimum requirement at 90% of programs is going to be having 1 SLOE for interviews (a majority of which are offered after October 1st) and then a second SLOE for when a program makes a rank list (in the spring). 2 SLOEs for interviews is better, but not necessary except for a few programs.

Here's a decent video source from ALIEM which should corroborate what I am saying: https://www.aliem.com/2016/em-match-advice-reflect-2016/

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you do the EM rotations in July and August and then do the make up in September/October? Do you get a M3 elective?

Talk to your advisor and get the core thing moved so you are free for SLOE rotations. Be firm about this.

Thanks for the replies. SDN never disappoints with the variety of replies.

I can't talk to my advisor because he is completely unresponsive to students. If he was responsive I wouldn't be asking SDN. One of my school's deans told me that, until I complete my third year core rotations, I am still a third year student and third year students can't do away rotations. So, not much room to move the core.
Additionally, I absolutely need extra time for step 2 which I planned to take at the end of this academic year in May. I suppose I could move one of the EM rotations to the time in May I was dedicating to step 2, and take step 2 in October. Again, without advising, I don't even know if this is feasible for application timing. At various conferences I've heard EM PDs say it's pretty much a necessity to have taken step 2 when applying EM. So, move step 2?

Thanks to those with constructive advice

Talk to your advisor and get the core thing moved so you are free for SLOE rotations. Be firm about this.
That's not how most schools work...

That's not how most schools work...

Its how my school worked. The end point of this whole thing is matching, not checking off a bunch of stupid boxes for 4th year. Missing out on SLOE rotations could actually cause you not to match and thus make 4 years of tuition pretty much worthless. I would bring this up with the dean if the coordinator isn't simpatico. You're paying them, not the other way around.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the replies. SDN never disappoints with the variety of replies.

I can't talk to my advisor because he is completely unresponsive to students. If he was responsive I wouldn't be asking SDN. One of my school's deans told me that, until I complete my third year core rotations, I am still a third year student and third year students can't do away rotations. So, not much room to move the core.
Additionally, I absolutely need extra time for step 2 which I planned to take at the end of this academic year in May. I suppose I could move one of the EM rotations to the time in May I was dedicating to step 2, and take step 2 in October. Again, without advising, I don't even know if this is feasible for application timing. At various conferences I've heard EM PDs say it's pretty much a necessity to have taken step 2 when applying EM. So, move step 2?

Thanks to those with constructive advice

If your school won't budge (shi*ty of them) I would say take Step 2 early and schedule your auditions for mid August on. The timing sucks because most rotations begin and end around the first of the month so finding a mid month one might be tough. Get two SLOE's ASAP...turnaround shouldn't be more than 2 weeks that late in the game. The clock starts ticking with SLOE's on October 1st which is when most programs start downloading apps. If there is anywhere you want to rotate for a guaranteed interview schedule that for after October, you won't get a SLOE but it might help you match. And when your school starts calling for alumni donations next fall hang up.

Its how my school worked. The end point of this whole thing is matching, not checking off a bunch of stupid boxes for 4th year. Missing out on SLOE rotations could actually cause you not to match and thus make 4 years of tuition pretty much worthless. I would bring this up with the dean if the coordinator isn't simpatico. You're paying them, not the other way around.
My school's administration really doesn't care.