MD & DO 516, 3.37: WAMC and School List help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moreps

Reaction score
Hello all, I am pretty new to SDN and am preparing for my first application cycle following my recent graduation from undergrad. I'm hoping I can get someone to help me narrow down my extremely rough school list, give me some tips to improve my resume over the course of my gap year, and let me know what my chances are!

Demographics:
-IL Resident
-ORM Male
-Degree in Biology from a large public university

Statistics:
-MCAT: 516
-cGPA/sGPA: 3.37/3.10

Research:
-1.5 yrs Biomechanics laboratory~300 hrs
-Co author of one paper awaiting publication

Paid Work Experience
-Experience at two different ambulance companies~2200 hrs
-Experience running 911 calls as well as nonemergent transfers

Extracurriculars
-4 yrs Marching band, leadership position for two years
-4 yrs Dance club, three years leadership position, one year president
-4 yrs School EMS organization, three years of various leadership positions

Clinical Volunteering
-200 hours volunteering as EMS personnel for university and community events

Non-clinical Volunteering
-100 hours providing meals on wheels to local unhoused population (I organized a group of friends to make and distribute meals)
-12 hours organizing and accomplishing local waterway and pond cleanup

Letters of Rec:
-1 Science professor
-1 PhD I worked with in laboratory
-1 Non-science professor

My weakest area is my GPA, which is why I'm worried about my school list. I'm trying to find schools that won't just drop me as soon as they see my GPA. I haven't really looked into DO yet, but I am definitely open to applying if it doesn't seem like my application will make the cut for MD. I separated out in-state schools just for viewing convenience, but also because I'm wondering about my chances with in-state in comparison to out-of-state. All that being said, here is an extremely rough list of schools that I have put together with the help of a friend. I appreciate any and all feedback, so thank you for reading this far and thank you for your advice!

School List
-NOVA
-George Washington
-Drexel
-Temple
-Jefferson
-Penn State
-Seton Hall
-New York Medical College
-Albany
-Vermont
-Quinnipiac
-Oakland Beaumont
-Western Michigan
-Medical College Wisconsin
-Creighton
-Kaiser
-University of Colorado
-Virginia Tech
-Robert Larner University of Vermont

In State (separated for convenience)
-Loyola
-UIC
-Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

Virginia Tech accepts few applicants who are not from that region. Colorado accept very few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state. You could add TCU-UNT and Rush. You should definitely apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
WVSOM
UNECOM

Are you in a postbac/master's program already, or are you applying to any? Getting into a strong postbac program with a linkage opportunity is going to give you a chance. You can still apply to many of the schools on your list, but only your academic and extracurricular record up to the point of submission will be what most schools will consider. Your in-state options have at least some of those opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in a postbac/master's program already, or are you applying to any? Getting into a strong postbac program with a linkage opportunity is going to give you a chance. You can still apply to many of the schools on your list, but only your academic and extracurricular record up to the point of submission will be what most schools will consider. Your in-state options have at least some of those opportunities.
I was going to apply to postbac programs after I submitted my primary, would you suggest applying before I submit?

If you know you are applying to postbac programs, why are you speeding your money on a primary application? Now there may be some postbac programs that require you submit an application and fail.