This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbeck8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I just wanted to write a quick post to any premeds because when I was in your situation I read tons of different posts on this website that made me feel like garbage and that I would never get in because of my lower GPA and MCAT. I scored a 500 breakdown was 127/125/123/125. My gpa was a 3.55 and sgpa was a 3.41. I applied to 25 DO schools and 2 MD schools.

I received an interview to the following schools
ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
PNWU
WesternU (lebanon campus)
WVSOM (accepted)
ARCOM (waitlisted)
RVU-SU (Accepted)
touro NV (added to interview waitlist)

I would say to make sure and get your primaries completed ASAP do not wait, also do your secondaries quick I had them all in by 07/15. Don't let others tell you you won't get accepted because they didnt get accepted. Also DO is just as good as MD so don't worry about that you will have the same salary and the same job.
Feel free to message me personally with questions. I do blame my success on the extracurriculars because obviously my MCAT wasn't very outstanding.

I thought I would write this because posts like these helped me feel more confident during the application process.

Good LUCK!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 38 users
What were your ec's if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi I just wanted to write a quick post to any premeds because when I was in your situation I read tons of different posts on this website that made me feel like garbage and that I would never get in because of my lower GPA and MCAT. I scored a 500 breakdown was 127/125/123/125. My gpa was a 3.55 and sgpa was a 3.41. I applied to 25 DO schools and 2 MD schools.

ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
PNWU
WVSOM (accepted)
ARCOM (waitlisted)
RVU-SU (Accepted)

I would say to make sure and get your primaries completed ASAP do not wait, also do your secondaries quick I had them all in by 07/15. Don't let others tell you you won't get accepted because they didnt get accepted. Also DO is just as good as MD so don't worry about that you will have the same salary and the same job.
Feel free to message me personally with questions. I do blame my success on the extracurriculars because obviously my MCAT wasn't very outstanding.

I thought I would write this because posts like these helped me feel more confident during the application process.

Good LUCK!
:claps::claps::claps::love::love::love::thumbup::thumbup::luck::luck::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive::highfive::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::biglove::biglove::biglove::banana::banana::banana::hello::hello::hello:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
PNWU
WVSOM (accepted)
ARCOM (waitlisted)
RVU-SU (Accepted)

Good LUCK!

How long did it take to get your first acceptance?

what are the 2 MD schools?

ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
PNWU
WVSOM (accepted)
ARCOM (waitlisted)
RVU-SU (Accepted)

Good LUCK!

Reactions: 1 user
That's terrific news! Congratulations on your achievement. Do you mind to share if you have applied to any MD schools?

That's terrific news! Congratulations on your achievement. Do you mind to share if you have applied to any MD schools?
They said two , no interviews from them on the list

Congrats! My stats are relatively similar and you've given me hope for applying next cycle!

ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
PNWU
WVSOM (accepted)
ARCOM (waitlisted)
RVU-SU (Accepted)

Good LUCK!

Great, encouraging post. It’s threads like these that keep me coming back to the usual pool of negativity that is SDN

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats man! So excited for you! Had a 500 MCAT and was accepted to an MD school! I completely agree DO vs MD doesn’t matter!

Members don't see this ad :)

ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
PNWU
WVSOM (accepted)
ARCOM (waitlisted)
RVU-SU (Accepted)

Good LUCK!
Im so happy you posted this and I wanted to say I had a similar experience! I applied both MD/DO with a slightly higher GPA and MCAT (sgpa 3.88 cgpa 3.92 and 501 which was unbalanced w/ 121 CARS) and received 8 DO interviews and 1 MD interview! To anyone out there feeling down because of their numerical values, I worked extremely hard on my essays and secondaries and put a lot of effort into my extracurriculars and it paid off! If any premed applying wants to PM me feel free to!

Im so happy you posted this and I wanted to say I had a similar experience! I applied both MD/DO with a slightly higher GPA and MCAT (sgpa 3.88 cgpa 3.92 and 501 which was unbalanced w/ 121 CARS) and received 8 DO interviews and 1 MD interview! To anyone out there feeling down because of their numerical values, I worked extremely hard on my essays and secondaries and put a lot of effort into my extracurriculars and it paid off! If any premed applying wants to PM me feel free to!
Thanks for sharing! In a similar boat with a slight lower gpa: cgpa: 3.75 and sgpa:3.63. First Mcat was a 501 unbalanced ( 124 chem/ 125 cars/ 123 bio/ 129 psych) my second mcat score was a 499 unfortunately: ( 122 chem/ 125 cars/ 126 bio/ 126 psych) trying to apply to mostly DO and a few MD because of free applications. Do you mind sharing what schools you had your DO and MD interviews at?

ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
PNWU
WVSOM (accepted)
ARCOM (waitlisted)
RVU-SU (Accepted)

Good LUCK!
DO is just as good and you will get paid the same... however MD's tend to have more opportunities to get surgical residencies, derm, oncology, etc. which are at the higher end of doc pay, whereas osteopaths are left often with FM, IM, neuro, psych, EM, etc.

I myself am starting medical school at an osteopathic school with hopes of doing gen surg. However, I am prepared to alter my dreams to neuro or EM as well, even IM.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! In a similar boat with a slight lower gpa: cgpa: 3.75 and sgpa:3.63. First Mcat was a 501 unbalanced ( 124 chem/ 125 cars/ 123 bio/ 129 psych) my second mcat score was a 499 unfortunately: ( 122 chem/ 125 cars/ 126 bio/ 126 psych) trying to apply to mostly DO and a few MD because of free applications. Do you mind sharing what schools you had your DO and MD interviews at?
I had my DO interviews at both LECOMs, KCU, KCOM, PNWU, MUCOM, WCUCOM and my MD interview was at OUWB

I feel this thread hard. I applied late (around November)in 2016 with a 495-497 MCAT and now starting my 2nd year in August. Don’t let the doubters get to you. Plenty of others that are in my class had around the same MCAT, and they’re some of the brightest people I’ve ever met. And once you’re in, pass, do well on boards, and kill clinicals (at least that’s the word of mouth that goes around). The rest will fall into place.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel this thread hard. I applied late (around November)in 2016 with a 495-497 MCAT and now starting my 2nd year in August. Don’t let the doubters get to you. Plenty of others that are in my class had around the same MCAT, and they’re some of the brightest people I’ve ever met. And once you’re in, pass, do well on boards, and kill clinicals (at least that’s the word of mouth that goes around). The rest will fall into place.

If you don’t mind me asking what schools did you get into?

Also got into med school with a low MCAT (495)... albeit was through a direct linkage post-bacc and not thru normal app cycle
We're in now brotha - we'll be doctors!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m at vcom Carolinas!
That’s awesome congrats! I’m hoping I get in somewhere, mostly focusing on Do schools. Just sent in all my apps, the only issue I’m having is getting a physicians letter of rec ugh. But otherwise I should be okay hopefully.

That’s awesome congrats! I’m hoping I get in somewhere, mostly focusing on Do schools. Just sent in all my apps, the only issue I’m having is getting a physicians letter of rec ugh. But otherwise I should be okay hopefully.
I would apply to VCOM's - they like higher GPA's and lower MCAT's whereas some schools are the opposite... don't waste your time or money with those schools esp since you dripped sub 500 on your most recent one

I would apply to VCOM's - they like higher GPA's and lower MCAT's whereas some schools are the opposite... don't waste your time or money with those schools esp since you dripped sub 500 on your most recent one
I can second this, I didn't even a hear a peep from VCOM with my stats.

Your stats are fine for vcom. Just depends now on where you live and how the rest of your app looks. They prefer those from the Appalachian and The SE US.

Your stats are fine for vcom. Just depends now on where you live and how the rest of your app looks. They prefer those from the Appalachian and The SE US.
I live in Massachusetts so I’m hoping VCOM works out. I applied to all three schools so fingers crossed. Do you think it would be a big deal if I didn’t have a physician letter?

Congrats! How was your 1st year? I'm starting next month. I hope it will be little easier because I finished smp at same school.

I live in Massachusetts so I’m hoping VCOM works out. I applied to all three schools so fingers crossed. Do you think it would be a big deal if I didn’t have a physician letter?
Not a big deal. But if you had, it would help beat out the next guy in line with similiar stats who does have one...
For me, having a DO letter and applying to DO schools is a given.

I can second this, I didn't even a hear a peep from VCOM with my stats.
Yeah it's an interesting dynamic... thier highest complex/usmle scorers are high GPA students/lower MCAT, but obviously this is a generalization

Not a big deal. But if you had, it would help beat out the next guy in line with similiar stats who does have one...
For me, having a DO letter and applying to DO schools is a given.
Yeah it makes sense to have one it’s just been a while since I’ve done my shadowing. I work as a nursing assistant and have letters from my managers at both jobs so I’m hoping that counts as something.

Yeah it makes sense to have one it’s just been a while since I’ve done my shadowing. I work as a nursing assistant and have letters from my managers at both jobs so I’m hoping that counts as something.
You may need couple sci letters as well from prof's

You may need couple sci letters as well from prof's
Oh yeah I have one from a sci professor who I also was a Ta for. And another from a research lab that I worked in. Im having a committee letter written so these will all be included in the packet.

Working on getting a physician letter of rec..sadly no one is getting back to me.

Anyone willing to give me advice? I'm applying now and torn with high GPA/low MCAT score. I will PM you

Anyone willing to give me advice? I'm applying now and torn with high GPA/low MCAT score. I will PM you

Have you submitted apps anywhere? If not, maybe you should take a gap year. It's getting late for you to submit primaries/secondaries now.
(Might not be the advice you were hoping for.)