95k/year at Walgreens Full-Time LOOOOOOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to this, a single person who maxes 401k will have 2.3 million so a couple will have 4.6 million. That was written 2 years ago when 401k limit was only 18k. That's not even counting the other investment vehicles.

There's people with 40k pre-tax salaries who max out 401k. If they can do it then someone with 100k salary surely can.

The problem is people don't know how to budget, it really isn't that hard

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing in my scenario is false. Did I get extremely specific? No but I solved your house down payment problem.

Not sure why you think it's so hard to accomplish.

I have a hard time understanding your scenario and it's hard to follow. 48k is the household student loan debt? Both graduated at 22?(which very few pharmacist graduate at 22..in fact only 54% of college students graduate after 6 years and the rest don't even graduate).

So I see that you had very low student loan debt, and both graduated early and start making money. Also I guess there are no personal credit card debts? Parents covering insurance cost?

A lot of outliers that doesn't explain the typical RPH graduating today with 150k worth of debt, 24-28 years old, and are not married with a spouse making good money as well. A lot of things need to happen in your scenario like early graduation, early marriage, spouse making money, parents paying for insurance, and under 50k worth of student loans....

The problem is people don't know how to budget, it really isn't that hard

It's not about budgeting, it's about using realistic numbers and applying to real life. Look I had a crap ton of help. My parents paid for my tuition, and put 100k down toward my house. My wife wasn't so lucky and came out with 186k worth of loans. We are now 36 and have a net worth over 2 million and zero debt(including mortgage). So yeah..I know how to play this game.

But I also understand that I had some privileges that other people doesn't enjoy. So I'm not going to throw out unrealistic scenarios and blaming people for not knowing how to budget because of how successful I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is pathetic and less than I was making at Walgreens 11 years ago. However, now I am on the job search and would be happy for any job offer. So lame what pharmacy has become. The PBM's are to blame for this.

The plumber doesn't even need to go to college or a degree, he can start right out of high school without the debt.
There is quite a bit of book learnen for a master plumber..electrician..etc.....to get the license..

I have a hard time understanding your scenario and it's hard to follow. 48k is the household student loan debt? Both graduated at 22?(which very few pharmacist graduate at 22..in fact only 54% of college students graduate after 6 years and the rest don't even graduate).

So I see that you had very low student loan debt, and both graduated early and start making money. Also I guess there are no personal credit card debts? Parents covering insurance cost?

A lot of outliers that doesn't explain the typical RPH graduating today with 150k worth of debt, 24-28 years old, and are not married with a spouse making good money as well. A lot of things need to happen in your scenario like early graduation, early marriage, spouse making money, parents paying for insurance, and under 50k worth of student loans....

No 48k was how much was paid during that time frame. The loan payment is 2k per month for 10 years so two years is 48k.

No the guy graduates with a bachelors at 22, she graduates at 24. The guy brings home 40k a year and she will bring home 80k. During the two years she is still in college, he brings home 80k and covers 60k in expenses over that time and puts the rest in an emergency fund.

Read it again, it's not that hard to understand especially if you help students with finances which I hope you tell them to live cheap for a few years after graduating to get their emergency fund and savings for a down payment on a house.

I get that you are stuck on one person being the provider but when your kids are in school there is no reason both parents shouldn't be working.

Last edited:
There is quite a bit of book learnen for a master plumber..electrician..etc.....to get the license..

They don't need to go to college though. My friend is an electrician and bought a home, became a landlord, owned multiple vehicles while the rest of us were paying down loans. Works for a company full time and does side gigs for fun money.

Reactions: 1 users
This is pathetic and less than I was making at Walgreens 11 years ago. However, now I am on the job search and would be happy for any job offer. So lame what pharmacy has become. The PBM's are to blame for this.
The PBM’s are to blame for this? When you have 15,000 new grads each year with $200k+ in loans desperate for jobs, why wouldn’t the corporate retail chains slash salaries because they can? It’s a simple principle of supply and demand. Nothing to do with reimbursements.

They don't need to go to college though. My friend is an electrician and bought a home, became a landlord, owned multiple vehicles while the rest of us were paying down loans. Works for a company full time and does side gigs for fun money.

Electricians and plumbers are always in need. There is always a leak and or a electrical problem in some area. Yes you can work for corporate, but you can also work for yourself and make really good money. I have alot of plumbers/electricians in my practice and they are rollling in dough. I did talk to a plumber about how long it takes to become proficient enough- he says 8 years or so. The downsides to the job is alot of poop, gross smells, and rodents.

Electrican you can literally die on the job.

So yes the tradeskills are good but they also carry alot of risks and unpleasant things. Pharmacy you work in air-con and clock in and out.

The PBM’s are to blame for this? When you have 15,000 new grads each year with $200k+ in loans desperate for jobs, why wouldn’t the corporate retail chains slash salaries because they can? It’s a simple principle of supply and demand. Nothing to do with reimbursements.
Except lots of pharmacies are closing. Shopko closed all their pharmacies recently. Independents have been on a steady decline. Pharmacy is no longer a very profitable business

Reactions: 1 user
Except lots of pharmacies are closing. Shopko closed all their pharmacies recently. Independents have been on a steady decline. Pharmacy is no longer a very profitable business
The amount of pharmacists hitting the job market due to pharmacy closures/getting laid off is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of new grad pharmacists hitting the market each year. We’re talking about maybe a couple hundred pharmacists vs 15,000 here.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The way around this is mid-levels. There has been dramatic increases in NPs and PAs. Also, residency spots have been increasing despite popular belief. All of healthcare is saturated.
A key factor crippling response to rising demand is that residency slots, a crucial step toward practicing medicine in this country, have been capped since 1997, he said. The United States has about 800,000 licensed doctors, he said, but it’s hard to tell how many see patients full-time.

A key factor crippling response to rising demand is that residency slots, a crucial step toward practicing medicine in this country, have been capped since 1997, he said. The United States has about 800,000 licensed doctors, he said, but it’s hard to tell how many see patients full-time.
I cited you data directly from the national matching and residency system, and you giving a philly.com link. NRMP data shows a 50% increase in residency spots in the last 10 years. Theres no arguing this. The data is coming directly from the people who runs the residency matching.

How are you a physician and this oblivious to vetting your sources? I'm curious.

Last edited:
I cited you data directly from the national matching and residency system, and you giving a philly.com link. NRMP data shows a 50% increase in residency spots in the last 10 years. Theres no arguing this. The data is coming directly from the people who runs the residency matching.

How are you a physician and this oblivious to vetting your sources? I'm curious.

Yes, this is correct. Let me though add more of a nuanced view though. Most government residencies were not in the NRMP system (they used their own system) until very recently, and much of the expansion is from that rather than organic growth. There has been some expansion with the CMS allocation changes, but not enough to offset the growth (both in class sizes and schools) in medical and osteopathic schools. CMS and the AMA have gone to Congress begging for a higher allocation for physician training, particularly for the "primary care" specialties (IM, FM, Peds).

CMS and the military closely track this, because our manpower needs for medicine keep growing relative to the population growth. But on the ground, your scores have to be much better and more competitive than in recent years for the same spots when you finish in two years (more definitively, when you complete the USMLE Step I). There are more competitive areas for the slots, and I do not envy this next several classes until the CMS funding situation increases.

As much as I dislike them, AMA is your friend here. But it's already quite a cutthroat competition, best of luck when you hit your time.

The amount of pharmacists hitting the job market due to pharmacy closures/getting laid off is a drop in the bucket compared to the number of new grad pharmacists hitting the market each year. We’re talking about maybe a couple hundred pharmacists vs 15,000 here.

Actually, the pharmacist workforce shrank from 2016 to 2017 from 301,920 to 288,789, or 13131. This does not take into account the bloodbath that has been happening since mid 2018 with the mergers and acquisitions, store closures, hour cuts, and hourly wage cuts.

So from 2016 to 2017 we had a surplus of 15,000 new grads plus 13,131 jobs that were eliminated minus some that retired.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you just ask every coworker private financial questions like that? Geee, I can’t even imagine asking people about their debts.

Techs don't have 200k worth of debt. Every tech I have talked to are in credit card debt and living paycheck to paycheck. 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck and 62% of them has less than 1k in liquid cash. The average savings rate in the U.S is 3.5% of income. And most tech I have talked to don't have a 401k open with the company.

Do you just ask every coworker private financial questions like that? Geee, I can’t even imagine asking people about their debts.

Some people talk about it openly. I got a job at the same place as my classmate, she asked "you have a lot of student loans right? I have 180k". I told her I paid them off two years ago LoL.

And what is so private about asking how much debt someone has? You can lookup what anyone paid for their house on Zillow. Salaries are practically public info with sites like Glassdoor or if they work for the government it's literally public info. Anyone can lookup how much tuition your school costs and MSRP for the car you drive.

Last edited:

Have you ever worked with people? My experience is they talk about EVERYTHING. I know way more about most of my coworkers than I want to.

• Love
  • Haha
If someone talks openly about their auto loan, mortgage, salary,...., I wouldn't trust them with anything I don't want everyone else to know. They can't keep anything to themselves.

FYI, if you work in a private company, you can fired for telling people your salary.

If someone talks openly about their auto loan, mortgage, salary,...., I wouldn't trust them with anything I don't want everyone else to know. They can't keep anything to themselves.

FYI, if you work in a private company, you can fired for telling people your salary.

Or maybe people are open about their personal finances or possibly your manager trying to gauge your financial situation...

https://www.millennial-revolution.com/freedom/the-****-over-ability-index/

I don't think I believe this.
The company I worked for made you sign a form that you wouldn't disclose your salary to anyone. Of course they were also a bunch of Nazis. Also made you sign a form that they could sue you if you dissed them on social media....

The company I worked for would terminate people for that. PA is an "at will" state; you can be fired at any time for any reason. There is nothing to protect the employee, and the company knew that....

The company I worked for would terminate people for that. PA is an "at will" state; you can be fired at any time for any reason. There is nothing to protect the employee, and the company knew that....

FL is also 'at will' but employers can still be sued for wrongful termination. Discrimination is the obvious example but not the only one.

FL is also 'at will' but employers can still be sued for wrongful termination. Discrimination is the obvious example but not the only one.

This is why you should be worried when your manager starts nitpicking over minor issues or tracking compliance with policies that never seemed to matter before. They want to fire you for stupid reason A, but the company prefers reason B. Suddenly you are let got for a 1 minute late clock-in.

The plumber doesn't even need to go to college or a degree, he can start right out of high school without the debt.

This isn’t true. It takes years to form the perfect plumbers crack. Before that, your not a true plumber.

This is why you should be worried when your manager starts nitpicking over minor issues or tracking compliance with policies that never seemed to matter before. They want to fire you for stupid reason A, but the company prefers reason B. Suddenly you are let got for a 1 minute late clock-in.

Better yet, don’t worry about it. Quit before they fire you.

Lol you guys saying nps/pas are the future are clearly speaking out of your a**. Most patients still ask for the mds and dos and that will not stop. Truth is they are vastly under trained compared to us and make mistakes often, like dumbbbbb mistakes. I’m not worried. Most of my collegues average 300k after residency in primary care and our sky is definitely not falling like yalls and I think it’s getting better. The specialty I’m going into averages 600-800k after residency and I’m definitely happy with my decision. Med school cost me 150k, had no college debt, and am on track for paying it off during residency. Will be making bank and living the life I want; 4000+ square ft house, travel whenever I want wherever I want and but just about any car I want. Sure Med school was hell but it was worth it in my opinion. Truly feel bad for what pharmacy has become and give you all my sympathies.

I am known as the financial advisor among my peers. I also offer a personalized financial course for pharmacy interns.

Lol you guys saying nps/pas are the future are clearly speaking out of your a**. Most patients still ask for the mds and dos and that will not stop. Truth is they are vastly under trained compared to us and make mistakes often, like dumbbbbb mistakes. I’m not worried. Most of my collegues average 300k after residency in primary care and our sky is definitely not falling like yalls and I think it’s getting better. The specialty I’m going into averages 600-800k after residency and I’m definitely happy with my decision. Med school cost me 150k, had no college debt, and am on track for paying it off during residency. Will be making bank and living the life I want; 4000+ square ft house, travel whenever I want wherever I want and but just about any car I want. Sure Med school was hell but it was worth it in my opinion. Truly feel bad for what pharmacy has become and give you all my sympathies.

Good for you. How are you paying off your loans so fast on a residents salary, wouldn't the entire 4 year's take home pay be close to 150k?

I wouldn't know what to do with a 4k SF house besides fill it with consumer stuff that I don't need. Heat the air under the cathedral ceilings? LoL. We'd be cleaning it all the time. 2k SF is plenty for my family.

Congrats???

Doesn't matter who they ask for, if that's the only option.

Good for you. How are you paying off your loans so fast on a residents salary, wouldn't the entire 4 year's take home pay be close to 150k?

I wouldn't know what to do with a 4k SF house besides fill it with consumer stuff that I don't need. Heat the air under the cathedral ceilings? LoL. We'd be cleaning it all the time. 2k SF is plenty for my family.
My wife works and makes enough to support us, all of my resident income is going towards loans. Plus moonlighting brings in an extra 50-80k. Where I’m going we are able to start moonlighting 2nd year.

Congrats???

Doesn't matter who they ask for, if that's the only option.
Where I’m at they choose to fill spots with mds and dos over mid levels so yeah it kind of matters. God bless the Midwest. Only place you can still live like a king.
I read these pharm posts and I just don’t understand why anybody would want to go into pharmacy. It’s dying. These vending machines the hospitals are rolling out are going to take so much opportunity and costs away. Medicine still has 20-30 years left before we need to worry.
Only reason I commented on this thread is because mid levels are really not a concern in most places. We have such a shortage of doctors that our pay is not going to be affected for a long time. All of the doom and gloom on this site are unfounded and I like clarifying that medicine is still a great field. You can still make great money and it’s very fulfilling. The pharmacist/students on here don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to the medicine side and I don’t want fake news out there on stuff that isn’t y’alls lane.

Let me be the first to say that I detect that your a massive *edited by mods*.

I’m a pharmacist.

Edit: oh and - don’t tell me what my lane is, that is for me to decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
These vending machines the hospitals are rolling out are going to take so much opportunity and costs away.
Are you referring to dispensing cabinets (Pyxis, Omnicell, etc)? Those have been around for ages. It's the massive oversupply of new graduates that will be the end of us.

Where I’m at they choose to fill spots with mds and dos over mid levels so yeah it kind of matters. God bless the Midwest. Only place you can still live like a king.
I read these pharm posts and I just don’t understand why anybody would want to go into pharmacy. It’s dying. These vending machines the hospitals are rolling out are going to take so much opportunity and costs away. Medicine still has 20-30 years left before we need to worry.
Only reason I commented on this thread is because mid levels are really not a concern in most places. We have such a shortage of doctors that our pay is not going to be affected for a long time. All of the doom and gloom on this site are unfounded and I like clarifying that medicine is still a great field. You can still make great money and it’s very fulfilling. The pharmacist/students on here don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to the medicine side and I don’t want fake news out there on stuff that isn’t y’alls lane.

I don't recommend coming here and gloating and I really hope you show more respect for your coworkers.

Yes it is nice living in the Midwest but it is coming for you guys too. No reason to pay more when cheaper options are available.

Just remember going from a shortage to surplus will happen extremely quick. Living in the Midwest will give more time though.

Last edited:
My wife works and makes enough to support us, all of my resident income is going towards loans. Plus moonlighting brings in an extra 50-80k. Where I’m going we are able to start moonlighting 2nd year.

Well not everyone is fortunate to have a spouse fully support them through medical school and residency, so that's not a good comparison. Medicine is obviously still a good field, but not as cost effective as you make it to be. The average doctor takes years to break even. Isn't it common knowledge that many live paycheck to paycheck until their 40s?

Are you referring to dispensing cabinets (Pyxis, Omnicell, etc)? Those have been around for ages. It's the massive oversupply of new graduates that will be the end of us.

No he's referring to actual vending machines like this. Of course they have their limits, like no controls, but they definitely cut down on overhead. One Rph probably oversees multiple machines.

• Love
Well not everyone is fortunate to have a spouse fully support them through medical school and residency, so that's not a good comparison. Medicine is obviously still a good field, but not as cost effective as you make it to be. The average doctor takes years to break even. Isn't it common knowledge that many live paycheck to paycheck until their 40s?

No he's referring to actual vending machines like this. Of course they have their limits, like no controls, but they definitely cut down on overhead. One Rph probably oversees multiple machines.

I haven't seen anything like that before. I wonder how that sort of thing is regulated?

Re: SpotRx
"save a lot of time"
"save a lot of money"

That's all your typical consumer cares about

I saw a few Pharmaboxes in Vegas. They only have OTC items. What's the value-add for those if you're on the strip anyway unless you need something ASAP.

95k a year for full time employment. $46/hour. And that 95k is assuming 40 hours, only guaranteed 30. One classmate had the same offer, and another was offered part-time 20 hours/week.

At 30 hours that's 70k/year.

Years to break even? Depends on how you live. Plenty of jobs available and job security. Not so in many other areas.

Electricians and plumbers are always in need. There is always a leak and or a electrical problem in some area. Yes you can work for corporate, but you can also work for yourself and make really good money. I have alot of plumbers/electricians in my practice and they are rollling in dough. I did talk to a plumber about how long it takes to become proficient enough- he says 8 years or so. The downsides to the job is alot of poop, gross smells, and rodents.

Electrican you can literally die on the job.

So yes the tradeskills are good but they also carry alot of risks and unpleasant things. Pharmacy you work in air-con and clock in and out.
Gastroenterologist has poop and gross smells too

From like age 38-55 you will enjoy a pharmacist way more than being in trades. Sure, the electrician may party a little more and drive a bmw before you but everything later on in life will suck more.

From like age 38-55 you will enjoy a pharmacist way more than being in trades. Sure, the electrician may party a little more and drive a bmw before you but everything later on in life will suck more.

So in other words you will enjoy life when you have no desire to enjoy life anymore? I would rather blow money in my 20s and 30s. That's the time to live.

So in other words you will enjoy life when you have no desire to enjoy life anymore? I would rather blow money in my 20s and 30s. That's the time to live.

When your young just have lots of sex and exercise. When your older you will still be healthy enough to enjoy toys.

Don’t forget compound interest.

The electrician or software engineer can start earning a high salary at a young age with little or no debt. If you’re smart by not blowing it on parties and BMWs you can invest it for a 7% yearly return which allows for an earlier retirement.

The pharmacist graduates with $200k+ in debt at a much later age as their balance balloons at 6% yearly interest. You earn probably no more than the electrician or software engineers in terms of gross salary.