A poor situation on any medical career application

Started by GFT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GFT

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to bother you....

I am a graduating senior with overall gpa 3.5, Science 3.4, BPMC gpa 4.0

1~should i take the mcat this august for the first time?
After seeing all those comparison between CBT and paper test, i am concerned about do i have time to prepare....This summer i will have physiology and biochem classes along with mcat....no time for preparation because the classes are like hell....

2~Institutional action?
To cut my story short, like every other student on my campus, i was trying to sell my old textbooks with materials to other students (materials i bought them from previous alumni ), but my materials, without my knowledge really~i swear to GOD~ accidentally overlapped with the materials kept by an academic program, thus, the program reported me to school, and no matter how i claimed myself about the innocence along with my student advocate and said it happened without my knowledge, i was charged of suspension for half year. All of this makes me postpone a year of graduation, thus, i need to force myself to take last 2 classes this summer.

3~Choices?
I will apply to some ms or mph programs starting this fall, but if i do not take this august mcat, i have to wait till next Jan to apply for these programs, most of which require mcat and have deadline in March 07....i assume they are rolling admission, too...
Any schools of master or post-bacc suggestions

All the frustration and diffidence make me procrastinated and self-destructed on the studying...

Sorry for the long message i pour over you, but i am really desperately need some advice from the beneficent you.
 
1. take the mcat when you feel ready. whether it is on the computer on on paper, you will do poorly without proper studying. if you can get A's in physio+biochem AND score 30+ on your mcats, then by all means. but you seem burned out, so either do one or the other.

2. how adversely this will affect your admission into med school (or any school for that matter) depends on how LONG ago the suspension was. did it happen freshman year? also, what does your official transcript read?

3. i didn't know mph programs require mcats (except for the md-mph schools). Some post-baccs require mcats, particularly those with formalized programs (the ones you probably are interested in).

an alternative-- could you take physio and biochem in the fall and concentration on mcats this summer?

hey, hang in there. there are people in worse situations than you get into med school. if you feel like you are burning out. take some time out to gain some perspective on life and this whole process.
 
GFT said:
2~Institutional action?
but my materials, without my knowledge really~i swear to GOD~ accidentally overlapped with the materials kept by an academic program, thus, the program reported me to school, and no matter how i claimed myself about the innocence along with my student advocate and said it happened without my knowledge, i was charged of suspension for half year. All of this makes me postpone a year of graduation, thus, i need to force myself to take last 2 classes this summer.

From this paragraph I have absolutely no idea what you are charged with, but based on the half year suspension, would have to assume it was something bad. You had better figure out how to explain it much much better than this, or adcoms will have to make the same assumption. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the March 07 deadline shouldn't be a problem if you still want to apply to ms and mph programs. the programs i'm applying to have similar deadlines and also require the MCAT. the good thing about the computerized MCAT is that if you take the january one, you will have your scores by february (test scores will only take 30 days instead of 60). so you can still take the january MCAT and get all your application materials in on time. and if you take the january one you might have a sufficient amount of time between now and then to study...that's my plan anyway. hope it helps...
 
Law2Doc, I think it's academic dishonesty (thread here if you can handle annoying fonts) (s)he was charged with. I agree that (s)he should be able to explain it better than this.
 
as a side note, people should really read the academic dishonesty code at their schools. you may think "no cheating, no copying hw, what's the big diff?" but sometimes something as minor as using an old edition of a book w/o the prof's consent can be called academic dishonesty (no joke)

i'm not trying to say the op is dishonest or anything. just a tip.