A Premed's choice: CC When to transfer? What is okay to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davidgomez0100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Student Doctor Network,

This is my first post. Currently, I am a freshman at a local CC. I plan to stay at my CC to finish all my medical prereq's while pursuing a major in English/Literature.
Then, transfer to a 4-year institute where I will take biochemistry, and The Organic Sequences while finishing my English Degree.
All in all my plan is to do 5 years (total) Undergrad to Accomplish both of these goals.
I hope to apply my 4th year and have everything ready to matriculate after my undergrad into Medical School(hopefully)

My question is will it be looked down upon that I choose to stay a 3rd year to finish all my prerequisite courses? Will taking them all at a CC be a bad idea?
I've noticed a strong duality when this question is asked in many posts. I'd like insight into my situation.
I've spoken with my Chemistry professor and the conversation surmounted to "It doesn't matter where you come from, what matters is graduating both places with as close to a 4.0 as possible and having a great MCAT with extracurriculars."

What do you all think?

Any help is appreciated.
With Thanks,
D.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Student Doctor Network,

This is my first post. Currently, I am a freshman at a local CC. I plan to stay at my CC to finish all my medical prereq's while pursuing a major in English/Literature.
Then, transfer to a 2-year institute where I will take biochemistry (and maybe anatomy) while finishing my English Degree.
All in all my plan is to do 5 years (total) Undergrad to Accomplish both of these goals.
I hope to apply my 4th year and have everything ready to matriculate after my undergrad into Medical School(hopefully!!!! I pray!!)

My question is will it be looked down upon that I choose to stay a 3rd year to finish all my prerequisite courses? Will taking them all at a CC be a bad idea?
I've noticed a strong duality when this question is asked in many posts. I'd like insight into my situation.
I've spoken with my Chemistry professor and the conversation surmounted to "It doesn't matter where you come from, what matters is graduating both places with as close to a 4.0 as possible and having a great MCAT with extracurriculars."

What do you all think?

Any help is appreciated.
With Thanks,
David.

Yes.

@gonnif can quote some med schools which discuss their perception of CC rigor.

If you do some prerequisites at CC, you should try to do higher level courses in most of those areas at a 4-year university in order to prove you can get high grades with more rigor. Your chem professor is probably not the most knowledgeable person for med school advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

@gonnif can quote some med schools which discuss their perception of CC rigor.

If you do some prerequisites at CC, you should try to do higher level courses in most of those areas at a 4-year university in order to prove you can get high grades with more rigor. Your chem professor is probably not the most knowledgeable person for med school advice.

I see.
What courses specifically? My generals are done and I'm really only taking English + 2 Spanish courses (for the major) / Math / Pre-Reqs
So I can't really take much else at my CC. Only thing left is to tackle the Pre-Reqs within my 3 years here and take some upper fun stuff like biochem at whatever 4-yr I go to. Is that correct?
I'm not really certain. Should I transfer in two years? It would mean taking upper division English whilst also doing the Pre-Reqs.
It's a gamble either way, and I'm willing to put in the work/time. Do ad-hoc's really look down upon CC that much?

Only take about half the pre reqs at your CC. Do the other half at a 4-year university after transferring.

I'm going to have to disagree with all these guys. If you take all your courses at a CC and kill the MCAT (meaning you had a great GPA and crappy MCAT, implying your CC was a joke), they will ask no questions. ADCOMS are well aware of the financial burden of students. Whether you take them there or at a university won't make much a difference if your MCAT and rest of your app are solid. But yes to one of the posts saying to take upper div classes. Take upper div bios when you get to university as well to prove you have a solid foundation of life science.

Should I do my dramatic Shakespearean reading of rigor?

You can disagree with all us guys, but dont disagree with what many medical schools say as formal policy for admissions

There are some medical schools that directly speak to this idea of community college courses. This may give a little better insight in how the underlying “culture” or “attitude” of admission committee members, whether a formal policy or not, may perceive applicants who choose summer or community college coursework. While this list is not exhaustive, it is representative enough to help advise students who are considering such a step.

SUNY Upstate College of Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
“Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.”

Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Medical Program Admissions Requirements | Icahn School of Medicine
Q: Can I take my courses at a community college, or must I take them at a four-year college or university?
A: We have no requirement about where you take courses, though the Committee on Admissions does take that into consideration in evaluating your application.

Johns Hopkins Medical School
Prerequisites and Requirements| Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine M.D. Admissions
The School of Medicine accepts prerequisites completed at the community college level. In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with community college prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution.

University of Florida College of Medicine
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions » Medical Admissions » College of Medicine » University of Florida
Q: Can I take the prerequisite courses at my local community/junior college?
A: In order to create the most academically competitive application you should take all prerequisite courses at the most competitive bachelor’s degree granting institution where you can gain entrance. You should try to complete your pre-requisite courses at a four-year institution

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx
Whereas course work at a four-year college or university is our benchmark, if a student chooses to meet a competency component via an alternate route such as through laboratory experience, through an advanced placement course, a course taken at a community college, a course taken abroad (during a semester abroad for which the undergraduate U.S. degree-granting institution gives credit, or for which AMCAS will verify and report the grade), or an online course, he or she should seek guidance from his or her advisor to ensure that the option meets the above guidelines as well as the rigorous academic standard required by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

George Washington University
M.D. Program Frequently Asked Questions | The School of Medicine & Health Sciences | The George Washington University
Do you accept community college credits?
Yes. The Committee on Admissions does accept coursework taken at a community college; however, it is preferable to have the pre-medical coursework taken at a four-year college or university.

Florida State University College of Medicine
http://med.fsu.edu/?page=mdAdmissions.admissionRequirement
Listed below is the pre-requisite coursework required for all matriculates to the FSU COM. Advanced Placement, CLEP, and dual enrollment credits fulfill the course requirements. However, courses taken in a traditional classroom at a four-year institution are considered to be more academically competitive.

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Requirements | Lewis Katz School of Medicine
Two pre-requisite science courses can be fulfilled with AP credits, community college courses or through a study abroad program.

Texas A&M Health Sciences Center College of Medicine
How Do I Apply?
Policy on AP Credits, Credits by Exam, and Dual Credit
We generally prefer that applicants take the prerequisite courses at 4-year accredited colleges and universities rather than utilize advanced placement credits, credits by exam, dual-credit, pass/fail course work or community college courses. We do not dismiss these credits; and, if they have been taken, we will accept them toward meeting the prerequisites. In fact, if an applicant has placed out of a required level course, we will also accept another course in that discipline at the same or higher level. Again, our preference is that applicants take graded courses at 4-year institutions, particularly the prerequisites in the biological sciences and the chemistry series.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq/#q43
Are community college classes accepted as prerequisite course credit?
They may be, but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a four-year undergraduate institution.

Yale
https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx
Pre-medical courses must be completed in a U.S., U.K., or Canadian college or university. U.S. Community College courses are acceptable, provided that the courses include laboratory work and are comparable in content to courses at four-year colleges, universities, or institutes of technology.

Weill Cornell
Medical Education at Weill Medical College of Cornell University | About Us
Can I take my prerequisite courses at a Community College?
It is not recommended.

I will need to prove myself with some upper division sciences at my 4yr (after transfer) and with my extra circulars. I understand. Thank You

Last edited:
Should I do my dramatic Shakespearean reading of rigor?

You can disagree with all us guys, but dont disagree with what many medical schools say as formal policy for admissions

There are some medical schools that directly speak to this idea of community college courses. This may give a little better insight in how the underlying “culture” or “attitude” of admission committee members, whether a formal policy or not, may perceive applicants who choose summer or community college coursework. While this list is not exhaustive, it is representative enough to help advise students who are considering such a step.

SUNY Upstate College of Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
“Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.”

Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Medical Program Admissions Requirements | Icahn School of Medicine
Q: Can I take my courses at a community college, or must I take them at a four-year college or university?
A: We have no requirement about where you take courses, though the Committee on Admissions does take that into consideration in evaluating your application.

Johns Hopkins Medical School
Prerequisites and Requirements| Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine M.D. Admissions
The School of Medicine accepts prerequisites completed at the community college level. In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with community college prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution.

University of Florida College of Medicine
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions » Medical Admissions » College of Medicine » University of Florida
Q: Can I take the prerequisite courses at my local community/junior college?
A: In order to create the most academically competitive application you should take all prerequisite courses at the most competitive bachelor’s degree granting institution where you can gain entrance. You should try to complete your pre-requisite courses at a four-year institution

Albert Einstein College of Medicine
https://www.einstein.yu.edu/educati...pplication-procedure/course-requirements.aspx
Whereas course work at a four-year college or university is our benchmark, if a student chooses to meet a competency component via an alternate route such as through laboratory experience, through an advanced placement course, a course taken at a community college, a course taken abroad (during a semester abroad for which the undergraduate U.S. degree-granting institution gives credit, or for which AMCAS will verify and report the grade), or an online course, he or she should seek guidance from his or her advisor to ensure that the option meets the above guidelines as well as the rigorous academic standard required by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

George Washington University
http://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/md-program/admissions/faqs#communitycollege
Do you accept community college credits?
Yes. The Committee on Admissions does accept coursework taken at a community college; however, it is preferable to have the pre-medical coursework taken at a four-year college or university.

Florida State University College of Medicine
http://med.fsu.edu/?page=mdAdmissions.admissionRequirement
Listed below is the pre-requisite coursework required for all matriculates to the FSU COM. Advanced Placement, CLEP, and dual enrollment credits fulfill the course requirements. However, courses taken in a traditional classroom at a four-year institution are considered to be more academically competitive.

Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
https://medicine.temple.edu/education/md-program/admissions/requirements
Two pre-requisite science courses can be fulfilled with AP credits, community college courses or through a study abroad program.

Texas A&M Health Sciences Center College of Medicine
http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/admissions/apply/index.html
Policy on AP Credits, Credits by Exam, and Dual Credit
We generally prefer that applicants take the prerequisite courses at 4-year accredited colleges and universities rather than utilize advanced placement credits, credits by exam, dual-credit, pass/fail course work or community college courses. We do not dismiss these credits; and, if they have been taken, we will accept them toward meeting the prerequisites. In fact, if an applicant has placed out of a required level course, we will also accept another course in that discipline at the same or higher level. Again, our preference is that applicants take graded courses at 4-year institutions, particularly the prerequisites in the biological sciences and the chemistry series.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/faq/#q43
Are community college classes accepted as prerequisite course credit?
They may be, but the Admissions Committee generally expects students to complete all prerequisite courses at a four-year undergraduate institution.

Yale
https://medicine.yale.edu/education/admissions/apply/premed.aspx
Pre-medical courses must be completed in a U.S., U.K., or Canadian college or university. U.S. Community College courses are acceptable, provided that the courses include laboratory work and are comparable in content to courses at four-year colleges, universities, or institutes of technology.

Weill Cornell
Medical Education at Weill Medical College of Cornell University | About Us
Can I take my prerequisite courses at a Community College?
It is not recommended.

Good sources. The only exception is being a bio major and all of the pre-med classes being a requirement to transfer. If you're enrolled at a 4-year, and you take classes at a CC, yah that's a dumb thing to do. But if you're at a CC you need to take those classes for transfer (or I do at least).

Do your pre-req at 4-years if you can.