A word of advice from one of my good students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
one of my OMSIIIs told me a few days ago that "being in med school is NOT like drinking from a fire hydrant.

It's like drinking from a fire hose, while running after the fire engine!"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
What is it like?

Drinking from a geyser on Io?

Looking from the outside-in I would say I am jealous they have that opportunity ;) but, when I get in to medical school I don't think I will share the same views as I do now...bittersweet ordeal med students have.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking from the outside-in I would say I am jealous they have that opportunity ;) but, when I get in to medical school I don't think I will share the same views as I do now...bittersweet ordeal med students have.
Med school is like trying to stay at float swimming in the ocean in the middle of a hurricane. Enjoy the time you have not being here dude.

Reactions: 3 users
Med school is like trying to stay at float swimming in the ocean in the middle of a hurricane. Enjoy the time you have not being here dude.
The uncertainty of acceptance is what kills me. Once I am in I will hopefully enjoy one last summer of freedom before I am cast off into the world of sorrow. No, but really, I have no idea what medical school is like but I sure as heck would rather be in school than out doing something just to get by in the world.

Reactions: 1 users
Do people actually get to do nothing the summer before starting med school? Bunch of gunners that we are I figured most people would be working full time in a lab or something, starting to build the resume for residency...

The uncertainty of acceptance is what kills me. Once I am in I will hopefully enjoy one last summer of freedom before I am cast off into the world of sorrow. No, but really, I have no idea what medical school is like but I sure as heck would rather be in school than out doing something just to get by in the world.
What I wouldn't give to make changes knowing the things I know now. Remember, less than half of physicians would recommend their children go to medical school, and there is a reason for that ;) Enjoy life while you can, not getting in immediately is a blessing, not a tragedy.

Do people actually get to do nothing the summer before starting med school? Bunch of gunners that we are I figured most people would be working full time in a lab or something, starting to build the resume for residency...
:lame: Chill, plenty of time for research in med school.

plenty of time for research
Really? All I hear on SDN is "oh god med school is so busy I can't even maintain all my relationships or hobbies"
Plus I think you're just a lot more laid back than most of us ;) perhaps I should ask if the gunners tend to take the summer off...

Really? All I hear on SDN is "oh god med school is so busy I can't even maintain all my relationships or hobbies"
Plus I think you're just a lot more laid back than most of us ;) perhaps I should ask if the gunners tend to take the summer off...
There's plenty of time for research. DopaDO did like 8 projects starting in third year and matched ACGME ophthalmology, to give you an idea. I could have done two or three projects first year, I had tons of time.

Wow, are clinically oriented projects a lot faster than basic science stuff? At least for us clueless undergrads it's standard to barely get a small project done in a full time summer of work

I have been spending my last summer eating good food, drinking lots of beer, hanging with people I probably won't see for a while, goofing off, and browsing SDN.

So yeah basically nothing productive.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been spending my last summer eating good food, drinking lots of beer, hanging with people I probably won't see for a while, goofing off, and browsing SDN.

So yeah basically nothing productive.
Lol same here, but then school starts soon, I'm currently in panic mode.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I wouldn't give to make changes knowing the things I know now. Remember, less than half of physicians would recommend their children go to medical school, and there is a reason for that ;) Enjoy life while you can, not getting in immediately is a blessing, not a tragedy.
bless us yung'uns with those "changes"

Lol same here, but then school starts soon, I'm currently in panic mode.

Yeah afterb seeing the work load in all its glory it feels like a giant tsunami is about to hit you and there's nothing you can do because you purposely tied yourself to a chair for a front row view.

Yeah afterb seeing the work load in all its glory it feels like a giant tsunami is about to hit you and there's nothing you can do because you purposely tied yourself to a chair for a front row view.
My body is ready. (P.s. this is what I will probably do when OMM professor tells us to take shirts off).

D42.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Only gunners tie themselves to a chair on the front row

At the point that you are in med school the pain is self inflicted.

I worked full time... in the same IT job I had been in for the previous decade. Oh, I also went on vacations.

I'm at the beach now. White coat ceremony this weekend :)

There's plenty of time for research. DopaDO did like 8 projects starting in third year and matched ACGME ophthalmology, to give you an idea. I could have done two or three projects first year, I had tons of time.
Where the hell do you go to school? I can assure you nobody in my class had that kind of time first year.

I entered medical school and costed me my first marriage. I think if I rethought this thing out, I probably would not go to medical school unless I had someone else pay for it and was single and younger.

Unfortunately because I have student loan debt, I am stuck, I think though once I finish I will think I accomplished something, became a doctor, and maybe these feelings will go away.

I think for anyone entering medical school soon, my best advice is to make sure you got a good social support system outside of school, your classmates might appear friendly, but nowhere else will you meet a bunch of cutthroat type of people, you really cannot trust your classmates or really anyone that has the job of evaluating you, I would be extremely wary of faculty and school administrators as well, you have to be cordial and diplomatic with them of course, but keep your distance. What I am saying might sound harsh but its reality and its particularly the case when you enter the clinical phase of medical school where your evaluation can become very subjective.

Medical school is not like drinking from a fire hydrant, its like getting into a ring for five hours with the heavy weight champion of the world and getting hit left and right.

Last edited:
I entered medical school and costed me my first marriage. I think if I rethought this thing out, I probably would not go to medical school unless I had someone else pay for it and was single and younger.

Unfortunately because I have student loan debt, I am stuck, I think though once I finish I will think I accomplished something, became a doctor, and maybe these feelings will go away.

I think for anyone entering medical school soon, my best advice is to make sure you got a good social support system outside of school, your classmates might appear friendly, but nowhere else will you meet a bunch of cutthroat type of people, you really cannot trust your classmates or really anyone that has the job of evaluating you, I would be extremely wary of faculty and school administrators as well, you have to be cordial and diplomatic with them of course, but keep your distance.

Sounds like your school sucks. Mine is not even remotely like that.

I thought the hardest part of medical school was getting in!

I think for anyone entering medical school soon, my best advice is to make sure you got a good social support system outside of school, your classmates might appear friendly, but nowhere else will you meet a bunch of cutthroat type of people, you really cannot trust your classmates or really anyone that has the job of evaluating you, I would be extremely wary of faculty and school administrators as well, you have to be cordial and diplomatic with them of course, but keep your distance.
I feel like there must be a story behind this
This is certainly one of the most negative, everyone's a gunner descriptions I've seen so far...sure hope you're an outlier

I feel like there must be a story behind this
This is certainly one of the most negative, everyone's a gunner descriptions I've seen so far...sure hope you're an outlier

Try being a conservative minded person surrounded by a bunch of liberals. What I was getting at is that certain issues like politics, religion, sexuality, etc, your views on these matters are things you do not want to share with people in medical school, only people outside of school where your relationship is strictly personal.

Try being a conservative minded person surrounded by a bunch of liberals. What I was getting at is that certain issues like politics, religion, sexuality, etc, your views on these matters are things you do not want to share with people in medical school, only people outside of school where your relationship is strictly personal.
It's probably not just medical school that you'd face this issue though. Pretty much all modern communities full of intelligent, moral and well-educated people lean liberal.

It's probably not just medical school that you'd face this issue though. Pretty much all modern communities full of intelligent, moral and well-educated people lean liberal.

You just made my point, I do not trust liberals at all. Japan has a higher average IQ than the most "liberal" parts of the US and Japan is super conservative.

You just made my point, I do not trust liberals at all.

Well you certainly sound like you exercise good judgment and self-reflection.

This is a ridiculous post. It sounds like you need to keep to yourself in med school not because your classmates are untrustworthy back-stabbers, but because you are paranoid and judgmental.

You just made my point, I do not trust liberals at all. Japan has a higher average IQ than the most "liberal" parts of the US and Japan is super conservative.
It's all relative, the younger in Japan are liberal relative to the older, and the more educated more liberal relative to the poorer and less educated. It's the same trend even in very liberal places like Scandinavia. Culture shifts the entire curve. Can see the same thing in the middle east with young vs old, overall them vs us...as a general law though progress is driven by the young and educated

Well you certainly sound like you exercise good judgment and self-reflection.

This is a ridiculous post. It sounds like you need to keep to yourself in med school not because your classmates are untrustworthy back-stabbers, but because you are paranoid and judgmental.

I would say faculty and administration are even worse. There is tons of back stabbing in medical school, people think pre-meds are cutthroat but your classmates in medical school are more so.

The social scene for example in medical school is nothing like in undergrad which is far less judgmental.

Last edited:
I would say faculty and administration are even worse. There is tons of back stabbing in medical school, people think pre-meds are cutthroat but your classmates in medical school are more so.

The social scene for example in medical school is nothing like in undergrad which is far less judgmental.
What were you judged and stabbed in the back for? Does everyone do this to everyone or were you a target for some reason

What were you judged and stabbed in the back for? Does everyone do this to everyone or were you a target for some reason

When you have a point of view that opposes someone who is a "Liberal" they totally try to burn you down, but when you oppose a conservative they tend to keep their civility.

When you have a point of view that opposes someone who is a "Liberal" they totally try to burn you down, but when you oppose a conservative they tend to keep their civility.
thats because conservatives are superior beings and liberals are scum, amirite

That attitude will serve you well in life. I'm frankly kind of surprised you made it past the interview stage.

That attitude will serve you well in life. I'm frankly kind of surprised you made it past the interview stage.

Its actually true, liberals cannot constructively criticize someone with conservative views, they just twist words or totally try to trash someone who has a point of view that is in opposition to theirs. Conservatives on the other hand keep their civility when opposing a liberal the vast majority of the time.

Reactions: 2 users
Actually I was just warning new students to avoid discussion of certain topics with people in school, issues like politics, religion, and sexuality are best to be avoided with your classmates, professors, etc. Its better to discuss neutral issues like the weather, sports(well not really neutral but not so bad), hobbies.

Actually I was just warning new students to avoid discussion of certain topics with people in school, issues like politics, religion, and sexuality are best to be avoided with your classmates, professors, etc. Its better to discuss neutral issues like the weather, sports(well not really neutral but not so bad), hobbies.

No one should take your advice, and I think that will be more than obvious from the paranoid, judgmental attitude in your posts. You clearly disrespect and dismiss opinions that are contrary to yours, and are projecting that attitude onto other people who are rejecting not your political views but your paranoid attitude.

I encourage all new medical students to treat their classmates with respect, and expect to be treated with respect. My classmates have all been exceptional human beings, and I suspect that is the norm at all schools.

That would be the downhill he's talking about....

How can you expect others to respect and value your opinion if you're not willing to do the same? Gonna be a boring life if you only discuss controversial topics with those of the same view point.....this is coming from someone who also tends to lean conservatively.

That would be the downhill he's talking about....

How can you expect others to respect and value your opinion if you're not willing to do the same? Gonna be a boring life if you only discuss controversial topics with those of the same view point.....this is coming from someone who also tends to lean conservatively.

I had a professor tell me I should vote Democrat because my parents are immigrants from Asia. I thought that was the most ignorant and racist thing I ever heard in my life and one of the reasons why I think liberals cannot be trusted. The common attack liberals have against conservatives is that conservatives are racist, but in real life I have spotted more racist liberals than conservatives. Jon Stewart is a fine example of a liberal hypocrite, he was harping about racism and then one of his former employees came out about Stewart's actual behavior.

Bill Maher is another one, he got caught when he started collectively putting down all Muslim people after the Charlie Hebdo incident.

Fellow Conservative here, we have been doing this for the last four years of college. It is nothing new, just the workload changed. It is a quagmire of liberalism.

Anything in education is going to be exceedingly liberal, because it is a separate entity from the entire world. It doesn't have to compete with how the actual workforce operates.

No one should take your advice, and I think that will be more than obvious from the paranoid, judgmental attitude in your posts. You clearly disrespect and dismiss opinions that are contrary to yours, and are projecting that attitude onto other people who are rejecting not your political views but your paranoid attitude.

I encourage all new medical students to treat their classmates with respect, and expect to be treated with respect. My classmates have all been exceptional human beings, and I suspect that is the norm at all schools.

If you read my older post I said to be diplomatic with fellow classmates, in other words treat them with respect but to be cautious and keep certain views to yourself.

If you read my older post I said to be diplomatic with fellow classmates, in other words treat them with respect but to be cautious and keep certain views to yourself.

I don't even bring up political things with my peers in college anymore, because there is not constructive debate that can be had with them. They drag us down to their level and throw out derogatory terms.

And there is such a double standard.

Its just tired to talk about anymore, which is sad becauseI actually like making conversation with people about politics and enjoy hearing their view on things. But flip it to them hearing about my political views Oh dear no no no.

I don't even bring up political things with my peers in college anymore, because there is not constructive debate that can be had with them. They drag us down to their level and throw out derogatory terms.

And there is such a double standard.

Its just tired to talk about anymore, which is sad becauseI actually like making conversation with people about politics and enjoy hearing their view on things. But flip it to them hearing about my political views Oh dear no no no.

This is unfortunately true, the first amendment seems to be non-existent on college campuses. I find it interesting how liberals like Bill Maher and Jon Stewart, two of the biggest hypocrites out there, can get away with saying racist and provocative things. Maher trashed an entire religion because of the Charlie Hebdo incident, as if every Muslim had a hand in that event. Bill O'Reilly would have lost his job if he said the same thing.

Jon Stewart abused an African American employee a while back but he recently made a speech about racism being so evil, so it makes me wonder about liberals, you really cannot trust them.