AACPMAS 2017/2018 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Both i would've rated a 9/10... There are positives to both curriculum wise (DMU w/ the DO's, Scholl with clinical exp 1st and 2nd years etc... lots of other things to list of it'd be so long). I just don't know how to weigh the pros and cons of both. Both locations are great in their own ways. Guess i better flip a coin :s
For me, if the schools were equal on all fronts then I would go the cheaper route

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished interviewing at Kent State and wow, I am super impressed by this school. Warm, friendly, well-educated, and caring for sure! Ask me any questions about my process if you want!

Reactions: 4 users
I just finished interviewing at Kent State and wow, I am super impressed by this school. Warm, friendly, well-educated, and caring for sure! Ask me any questions about my process if you want!
Was just there yesterday too and I can vouch that it was a really great experience!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sup guys. 1st year Scholl student here. Not super active on these forums, but I hover around occasionally. Less so on pre pod because I'm not one anymore lol.
Just wanted to drop by and let you all know that you can PM me any questions you may have. I'd warn you though, I'm not super informed about everything, and I'll probably only be able to answer based on my own experiences.

For reference. last cycle I interviewed at DMU, Temple, Kent, and Scholl.

Wishing all of you the best of luck in the process! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Today I donated all of my MCAT prep materials to two students hoping to get into med school. I bought my first prep book 7 years ago when I decided medicine is what I wanted to do and then purchased new materials with the MCAT change. I had to put it all on hold for the past few years because life happened (I'm a non-trad applicant). I have busted my a$s working 70-80 hour weeks, going to school, then taking a large pay cut to commit to a job that would let this all happen. I have two acceptances so far, one sizable scholarship, and waiting to hear back from two schools. I am very thankful and more than happy to pass on the materials to other hopefuls. Hoping others are feeling the same relief and excitement I do!

Reactions: 7 users
Just put my deposit down for Scholl '22! Very excited and happy to be done with the process.. Goodluck everyone else in the cycle!

Just got accepted to Kent State! I think I'm going to vomit. Also, I just interviewed at DMU. I have to admit, this is a super impressive school in terms of academics and getting you ready for becoming not just a podiatrist but as a professional.

why vomit?

what made you like DMU just by interviewing there?
Just an exaggeration due to my excitement.

DMU is well-prepared for their students to succeed (100% Board Passing rate; 95% Residency Matching). The DPM will study with the DOs for the first two years and since you are put into the level as a medical student; you are definitely more prepared for the boards. I had a third-year student just walked by my interview group and said he thought the board exams were definitely doable since he was so prepared. Oh yeah, the DOs over there definitely DO NOT underestimate the DPMs but see them as equals, which I appreciate. In terms of buildings and labs, they definitely provide you the best experience, no doubt.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys! Just got an email to confirm!! Woohoo accepted to Azpod!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. Guess I need to be patient then!! Lol did your email come in the morning or evening? Haha the anticipation is driving me insane!
I got mine in the early evening but it depends on the person. It's funny, after my DMU interview and heading to the airport, I received it. If you felt like you did good on your interview and have pretty decent stats (GPA of 3.2 or above) and an MCAT score of 493 and above, you should be fine. I emailed Carla a thank you note, including my interviewer, and said they were both super impressed with my application and interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we get official acceptance letters in the mail besides the phone call or e-mail?

Well hopefully if I got an interview my stats should be okay. I don’t understand why they would interview if the stats were not good enough to begin with. I wonder if they accept a lot of the people they interview.
Judging from what I’ve seen from past threads I’d say you pretty much have a 70% chance or greater at this point in the cycle after interviewing (assuming you’re about the average matriculate for whichever school). Last time I read if you divide total applicants by matriculates about 55 percent of all applicants get accepted somewhere. Something like 1100/600

Well hopefully if I got an interview my stats should be okay. I don’t understand why they would interview if the stats were not good enough to begin with. I wonder if they accept a lot of the people they interview.
Usually, after the interview is complete, they will review you as an overall candidate. Most likely, they will select the ones who truly want to head into podiatry based on the interview. Also, they give out scholarships to the ones who have pretty good stats, so keep that in mind.

Hello everyone, my podiatry school application just got sent to all 8 of the schools I applied for yesterday. I was offered an interview at Scholl, Barry, Temple, Samuel Merritt, and Kent. Still waiting on Arizona, Des Moines, and Western. I was scared at first when applying (why I applied to so many). Now I'm regretting it. It's overwhelming to receive that many invites in one day. I'm honestly torn. I want to attend each of these interviews but don't think I have the time nor money to do ALL. Everyone says the schools are pretty comparable when it comes to academics, etc. The schools at the top of my list are Des Moines and Scholl. Obviously I plan to attend interviews there, if Des Moines offers me one. I guess my questions is... How many interviews should I go to? What's a good number? Would you suggest attending all of them to be on the safe side? Any input helps! :) Thanks

Hello everyone, my podiatry school application just got sent to all 8 of the schools I applied for yesterday. I was offered an interview at Scholl, Barry, Temple, Samuel Merritt, and Kent. Still waiting on Arizona, Des Moines, and Western. I was scared at first when applying (why I applied to so many). Now I'm regretting it. It's overwhelming to receive that many invites in one day. I'm honestly torn. I want to attend each of these interviews but don't think I have the time nor money to do ALL. Everyone says the schools are pretty comparable when it comes to academics, etc. The schools at the top of my list are Des Moines and Scholl. Obviously I plan to attend interviews there, if Des Moines offers me one. I guess my questions is... How many interviews should I go to? What's a good number? Would you suggest attending all of them to be on the safe side? Any input helps! :) Thanks

Pick top 2. Add 3rd for safety.

Your favorites may get scrambled.

Pick based off preferences- Location, proximity to family, weather, facilities, DPM/DO integration, Cost. Literally whatever the hell it is you value the most.

Reactions: 5 users
Pick top 2. Add 3rd for safety.

Your favorites may get scrambled.

Pick based off preferences- Location, proximity to family, weather, facilities, DPM/DO integration, Cost. Literally whatever the hell it is you value the most.
This.

You should definitely interview at both Scholl and DMU (my opinion, you can't go wrong with either school) especially if they are already top on your list.. Add a 3rd like Weirdy said

Reactions: 1 users
What Weirdy said.

If I would suggest to anyone, I would suggest to apply only to 2-3 schools you would go. If they accept you and you like it, then you got it. No need to apply or interview at other schools. If they don't accept you, then you can apply to other schools. This is in case you apply early enough though.

In the case when people apply to 9 schools, you pay more for fees and then you have to not go to an interview to some schools. What if you cancel some interviews and not get accepted at those that you went to for an interview? You already cancelled other interviews.

I would not even apply to those schools that you are not willing to attend I have seen some students who interviewed but mentioned even before interview that they will not go there. Why apply and attend interview?

I applied to only 2 and received 2 invites. I did not apply to others because I do not want to move farther and because these two schools are my top 2 anyways.

Just my opinion

What Weirdy said.

If I would suggest to anyone, I would suggest to apply only to 2-3 schools you would go. If they accept you and you like it, then you got it. No need to apply or interview at other schools. If they don't accept you, then you can apply to other schools. This is in case you apply early enough though.

In the case when people apply to 9 schools, you pay more for fees and then you have to not go to an interview to some schools. What if you cancel some interviews and not get accepted at those that you went to for an interview? You already cancelled other interviews.

I would not even apply to those schools that you are not willing to attend I have seen some students who interviewed but mentioned even before interview that they will not go there. Why apply and attend interview?

I applied to only 2 and received 2 invites. I did not apply to others because I do not want to move farther and because these two schools are my top 2 anyways.

Just my opinion
I would be okay with moving anywhere. The reason why I applied to so many was because I was afraid I wouldn’t get any interviews. I do agree though, I should’ve applied only to a few at first and then more later on if needed. What would you suggest I email to those schools that sent me interview invitations? I don’t want to schedule interviews before I even hear back from my top schools. I want those schools to still be options. Any suggestions?

I scheduled my favorite schools first and then scheduled the other interviews for the latest available date. After I heard back from the schools I was interested in and was accepted then I cancelled the other interviews. Most schools get back to you fairly quickly (2 weeks tops. Usually quicker!) If needed, you could even postpone your interview to a later date if you are still waiting to hear from a school you like.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Accepted DMU! Those who got accepted as well did your email mention your scholarship because the email I received just mentioned my outstanding supplement items and seat deposit information?

I would be okay with moving anywhere. The reason why I applied to so many was because I was afraid I wouldn’t get any interviews. I do agree though, I should’ve applied only to a few at first and then more later on if needed. What would you suggest I email to those schools that sent me interview invitations? I don’t want to schedule interviews before I even hear back from my top schools. I want those schools to still be options. Any suggestions?
ask for later interviews?

Just Cancelled my interviews with Temple and NYCPM...hope they go to one of you guys :)

Hey for all the guys out there,

do you think it's worth it to invest in a proper wool suit (tailored) for a few hundred bucks more than poly-blend ones (such as the ones you find at express or those suit supply stores that tout you can get a whole setup for $149) ? lol

I'm thinking that it would be a wise purchase to buy 1 or 2 perfect higher end suits for school since there's going to be residency interviews, conferences, possibly research presentations, etc. And I figured at this point, I'm done growing so I don't have to worry about out-growing them like I did when I bought my last one in high school.

do you think it's worth it to invest in a proper wool suit (tailored) for a few hundred bucks more than poly-blend ones (such as the ones you find at express or those suit supply stores that tout you can get a whole setup for $149) ? lol

I'm thinking that it would be a wise purchase to buy 1 or 2 perfect higher end suits for school since there's going to be residency interviews, conferences, possibly research presentations, etc. And I figured at this point, I'm done growing so I don't have to worry about out-growing them like I did when I bought my last one in high school.

Personally I think all guys should have at least 2 well tailored suits. You never know when you need to look your best. Specially in an industry where networking is so important.

Honestly, I bought two suits ($220 $240 respectively) from Express last year and used only those two suits for the interviews. They are still in excellent shape and good-looking. A higher end suit is not worth it in my opinion unless you got real money.

Honestly, I bought two suits ($220 $240 respectively) from Express last year and used only those two suits for the interviews. They are still in excellent shape and good-looking. A higher end suit is not worth it in my opinion unless you got real money.

Have you washed them? I read that poly blend suits like express, h&m ,etc. don't last long due to them falling apart and fading because of washing/drycleaning. But then again, we wear shirt underneath it so we don't really have to worry about cleaning it unless you spill something on it.

Have you washed them? I read that poly blend suits like express, h&m ,etc. don't last long due to them falling apart and fading because of washing/drycleaning. But then again, we wear shirt underneath it so we don't really have to worry about cleaning it unless you spill something on it.
I always take them to the dry cleaners after I get home from an interview (I had a total of 4 so far and I wore these suits on other occasions such as research presentations and formal meetings).

Just take care of them, of course. I am not sure about H&M but I have express suits and they still look good (I suggest buying a suit jacket above $140 and suit pants above $75)

Finally famous pod on the Doctors show.... ;)

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted to DMU with scholarship!

Still waiting on Scholl even though I had interview there before DMU
Just to add:

My interview experience was awesome at DMU. I read on SDN feedback that DMU is more stressful than others. I expected that to be so. Turned out DMU interview went a lot better then my other one. I was given enough time to express myself, elaborate on my answers and to talk about my passion and experiences. I felt like they were really interested in me. I had time to ask my questions and engage in a discussion.

Top choice, best experience, great school.

Interview Invite from Temple!!! Anyone else interviewing Dec 4th? :)

Accepted to DMU with scholarship!

Still waiting on Scholl even though I had interview there before DMU
How long ago did you interview at Scholl? I interviewed on the 20th of Nov. and still waiting on an email.

How long ago did you interview at Scholl? I interviewed on the 20th of Nov. and still waiting on an email.
for you 2 weeks haven't passed, they will let you know before it's been 2 weeks.
check you slam/junk folder.
If 2 weeks passed kindly email admissions

I have an interview at Kent State in February. First time I will be interviewing for any professional school (also the first time I will be driving "up north" during the winter), so I am both excited and nervous.

Good luck to everyone who has applied this cycle, and congratulations to those who have already been accepted!!

I have an interview at Kent State in February. First time I will be interviewing for any professional school (also the first time I will be driving "up north" during the winter), so I am both excited and nervous.

Good luck to everyone who has applied this cycle, and congratulations to those who have already been accepted!!
Good luck

The interview day is very relaxed and conversational there is nothing to be nervous about. The roads are cleared regularly when weather is bad, so you should not have much of a problem.

Last edited:
Not to make you nervous, but be prepared.

Know any C grades that you have. I was grilled on my academic performance. I was also accepted, so just have honest answers.

The interview day is very relaxed and conversational there is nothing to be nervous about. The roads are cleared regularly when weather is bad, so you should not have much of a problem.

Both of those are very good to hear. One of the problems we have here in the south (or at least the part of Georgia I live in - Northwest part) is that the roads departments don't ever really get into that big of hurry cleaning the roads. As a result, "snow" and ice amounts that don't really have to be a problem become one. After the major issue in Atlanta a few years back where motorists were stranded on the Interstate my county has done a little better during winter weather, but not as good as they could do. I am renting a car for me and my wife to drive up to Ohio in, so at least I don't have to worry about my car as well.

Thanks for your feedback!

Not to make you nervous, but be prepared.

Know any C grades that you have. I was grilled on my academic performance. I was also accepted, so just have honest answers.

Thanks for the feedback!

Did they ask you any questions about current political issues in medicine? The reason I ask is that I go to church with a physician (MD) who said he was asked about this type of thing back in the 80s when he was interviewing.

Those kind of questions didn't come up at all when I interviewed at Kent. Even though it didn't come up at my interview at Scholl, I was told to have a current event in mind should they have asked. Kent asked a lot of questions about my academic history, so be able to explain any red flags on your transcripts. They did ask about hobbies/what I like to do during my spare time. Overall, it was a really great interview experience. The interview itself was super laid back and conversational, and the staff and students were some of the nicest people I've ever met.

This is awesome news!!

Thanks again!

No, no political questions.

Thanks for the feedback!

Did they ask you any questions about current political issues in medicine? The reason I ask is that I go to church with a physician (MD) who said he was asked about this type of thing back in the 80s when he was interviewing.