This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AristarchusOfSamos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a 21 year old senior at an accredited university in Puerto Rico. After much indecisiveness, I've set my eyes on studying medicine in the U.S. However, for the past three years, I've managed to pass most of my classes (I'm an Anthropology major) with little to none study habits and overall academic discipline. I won't discuss the slew of personal and domestic challenges I've faced throughout these years, but I am confident that they belong in the past now.

Here's the problem—I already took most of my pre-reqs and performed badly in them. See for yourself:
Biology I (B)
Biology II (B)
Chemistry I (C)
Chemistry II (C)
Calculus (F)
Calculus RETAKE (C)
Organic Chemistry (F)
Physics I (D)
I'm starting my fourth year with a 1.78 sGPA. Surprisingly, I've managed to score an A in virtually every other non-science class, leaving me with a workable 3.19 cGPA.

I'm confident I can maintain a 4.0 GPA in the next semesters to come (I plan on staying on for another year). With a few calculations, I would wound up with ~2.5 sGPA and ~3.5 cGPA. This includes retaking Organic Chemistry I and acing Organic Chemistry I & Physics II.

I have some previous research experience in biological anthropology. I have 50 hours of non-clinical volunteering. No clinical volunteering. I have not taken the MCAT yet.

I'm also looking into any kind of post-bacc programs and/or retake all of my pre-reqs. However, I'm not sure this could repair my abysmally low sGPA and nudge my hypothetical cGPA to a more competitive number.

Should I enroll at a make-or-break SMP? Retake all of my pre-reqs or a formal post-bacc program? Should I take some upper level science classes to demonstrate I can handle it? Would that be enough to have a chance at an MD/DO program in the United States?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you first need to prove to yourself that you can handle it. Nothing in your academic history hints at understanding of the basic sciences, much less an indication of future success.

Why do you want to be a doctor? You have no clinical experience. To me, it seems as if you simply like the idea of being a doctor, and don't understand what being a doctor is like, or why you want that lifestyle.

My advice would be to explore what you want to do. Shadow, get a job, explore your interests. If medicine still interests you after that, pursue it more seriously than you have in the past.

Either way, you will need multiple gap years, especially being international. I'm far from an expert, but international MD requires Harvard/Stanford level stats...with a 2.5 sGPA when applying, all of your apps will be donations.

I think you first need to prove to yourself that you can handle it. Nothing in your academic history hints at understanding of the basic sciences, much less an indication of future success.

Why do you want to be a doctor? You have no clinical experience. To me, it seems as if you simply like the idea of being a doctor, and don't understand what being a doctor is like, or why you want that lifestyle.

My advice would be to explore what you want to do. Shadow, get a job, explore your interests. If medicine still interests you after that, pursue it more seriously than you have in the past.

Either way, you will need multiple gap years, especially being international. I'm far from an expert, but international MD requires Harvard/Stanford level stats...with a 2.5 sGPA when applying, all of your apps will be donations.

Puerto Ricans are not internationals...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats you would not get into a SMP even after staying for an additional year. For a SMP you need at least a 3.0 Science GPA for most, very few have minimum requirements bellow a 3.0 (I believe the Drexel SMP technically does not have a minimum but say they like to see at least a 2.9). However like it has been said already in this thread nothing from what you have said hints that you would be able to succed in a SMP. The only real option you have is to do a post-bacc where you would retake any pre req that you received a C or bellow in and take additional upper level science courses. I think it would take at least 2-3 years of strong grades (I mean near straight A's) before you should even consider applying to medical school.

With your stats you would not get into a SMP even after staying for an additional year. For a SMP you need at least a 3.0 Science GPA for most, very few have minimum requirements bellow a 3.0 (I believe the Drexel SMP technically does not have a minimum but say they like to see at least a 2.9). However like it has been said already in this thread nothing from what you have said hints that you would be able to succed in a SMP. The only real option you have is to do a post-bacc where you would retake any pre req that you received a C or bellow in and take additional upper level science courses. I think it would take at least 2-3 years of strong grades (I mean near straight A's) before you should even consider applying to medical school.
Yep, this guy needs a couple years of 3.7+ DIY postbacc. With a 515+ MCAT he can redeem himself.

Hi all,

I'm a 21 year old senior at an accredited university in Puerto Rico. After much indecisiveness, I've set my eyes on studying medicine in the U.S. However, for the past three years, I've managed to pass most of my classes (I'm an Anthropology major) with little to none study habits and overall academic discipline. I won't discuss the slew of personal and domestic challenges I've faced throughout these years, but I am confident that they belong in the past now.

Here's the problem—I already took most of my pre-reqs and performed badly in them. See for yourself:
Biology I (B)
Biology II (B)
Chemistry I (C)
Chemistry II (C)
Calculus (F)
Calculus RETAKE (C)
Organic Chemistry (F)
Physics I (D)
I'm starting my fourth year with a 1.78 sGPA. Surprisingly, I've managed to score an A in virtually every other non-science class, leaving me with a workable 3.19 cGPA.

I'm confident I can maintain a 4.0 GPA in the next semesters to come (I plan on staying on for another year). With a few calculations, I would wound up with ~2.5 sGPA and ~3.5 cGPA. This includes retaking Organic Chemistry I and acing Organic Chemistry I & Physics II.

I have some previous research experience in biological anthropology. I have 50 hours of non-clinical volunteering. No clinical volunteering. I have not taken the MCAT yet.

I'm also looking into any kind of post-bacc programs and/or retake all of my pre-reqs. However, I'm not sure this could repair my abysmally low sGPA and nudge my hypothetical cGPA to a more competitive number.

Should I enroll at a make-or-break SMP? Retake all of my pre-reqs or a formal post-bacc program? Should I take some upper level science classes to demonstrate I can handle it? Would that be enough to have a chance at an MD/DO program in the United States?
Read this: