This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Appreciate the blunt honesty.

It seems like there was an assumption to immediately go back and try for US schools.
But that is not the case, I meant taking a few years to improve mental health and doing well in a Master's program (or SMP if possible), including retaking the MCAT and improving my application. Med schools wouldn't care for that then?

For what it's worth, I have a friend whose first MCAT attempt got them a <5th percentile score and who now is currently applying for residency as an M4.

I also have a friend who remediated multiple classes as an M1 and was officially recommended to withdraw but didn't. They went on to fail and repeat M2, then failed Step 1, took a year off to study, failed it again, and are now out of medical school. Their perseverance cost them a few years and only netted them a massive loan bill.

With your coursework, you might be able to get a BSN in like a year. Why not try being a nurse for a few years, get some experience (and money, and maturity, and a better MCAT), and try again?


Though, if you were my close friend, I would honestly recommend you try something else.
 
For what it's worth, I have a friend whose first MCAT attempt got them a <5th percentile score and who now is currently applying for residency as an M4.

I also have a friend who remediated multiple classes as an M1 and was officially recommended to withdraw but didn't. They went on to fail and repeat M2, then failed Step 1, took a year off to study, failed it again, and are now out of medical school. Their perseverance cost them a few years and only netted them a massive loan bill.

With your coursework, you might be able to get a BSN in like a year. Why not try being a nurse for a few years, get some experience (and money, and maturity, and a better MCAT), and try again?


Though, if you were my close friend, I would honestly recommend you try something else.
One of my friends is in a similar boat, went carib, couldnt hack it , took 300k loans because was completing a useless online MBA at the same time. It is difficult to see him in this position , it is unlikely he will be able to repay the loans, and this will have a negative impact on him for the foreseeable future. a terrible situation to be in. He also lost 7 years of income by chasing this.
 
Appreciate the blunt honesty.

It seems like there was an assumption to immediately go back and try for US schools.
But that is not the case, I meant taking a few years to improve mental health and doing well in a Master's program (or SMP if possible), including retaking the MCAT and improving my application. Med schools wouldn't care for that then?

I would apply to podiatry school, if I were in this situation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Problem with Podiatry school is, they take the same classes as MD/DOs for the first two years. So if OP couldnt hack a Caribbean program, chances are they would also fail out of DPM school. 3 DPM schools literally take the same courses side by side with DO students at the respective school (besides OMM).

Now, that changes with the boards, as Pod boards at this time are diffrent than step (5 hour test vs 8), but one has to get through those first two years before reaching that bridge.

Maybe Pharmacy or Optometry? Ive looked at both curriculums vs traditional medical school and it seems like both schools' coursework is less intensive than MD/DO/DPM. That way the OP can still be a "Doctor" and have similar doctor like responsibilities (patient care, endless paperwork, doctoral degree, etc.)

I would apply to podiatry school, if I were in this situation.
 
Problem with Podiatry school is, they take the same classes as MD/DOs for the first two years. So if OP couldnt hack a Caribbean program, chances are they would also fail out of DPM school. 3 DPM schools literally take the same courses side by side with DO students at the respective school (besides OMM).

Now, that changes with the boards, as Pod boards at this time are diffrent than step (5 hour test vs 8), but one has to get through those first two years before reaching that bridge.

Maybe Pharmacy or Optometry? Ive looked at both curriculums vs traditional medical school and it seems like both schools' coursework is less intensive than MD/DO/DPM. That way the OP can still be a "Doctor" and have similar doctor like responsibilities (patient care, endless paperwork, doctoral degree, etc.)
You obviously know more about this than I do. But I also know that their average mcat scores are a fair amount lower than what I think I remembered OP's being (I also know the mcat isn't the end-all measure for academic performance). They also don't have a financial incentive to limit the number of students making it to rotations. So there's a fair chance that OP's performance wouldn't have failed them out of a legitimate and regulated institution that wants to see their students succeed.
 
I absolutely agree. If a sub par student is considering the Caribbean, they should at least give Podiatry school a look to see if they could be happy doing that. Its not all sunshine and rainbows, and there was a residency shortage back in 2012-2013 (which last time a checked has been fixed and most people who didnt get in have now been placed), but even then the odds of matching were better than an IMG matching in the US. Much better odds overall of becoming a practicing doctor, even if its a specialty that someone originally didnt want to go into. Even gives premeds who "really want to be a surgeon" (though how would they know that) a way to do surgery.

Even though saturation is hitting them hard, Id be a Pharmacist or Optometrist before stepping foot in the Caribbean for medical school. There are still ways to be a doctor in the United States that doesnt involve medical school.

You obviously know more about this than I do. But I also know that their average mcat scores are a fair amount lower than what I think I remembered OP's being (I also know the mcat isn't the end-all measure for academic performance). They also don't have a financial incentive to limit the number of students making it to rotations. So there's a fair chance that OP's performance wouldn't have failed them out of a legitimate and regulated institution that wants to see their students succeed.
 
Appreciate the blunt honesty.

It seems like there was an assumption to immediately go back and try for US schools.
But that is not the case, I meant taking a few years to improve mental health and doing well in a Master's program (or SMP if possible), including retaking the MCAT and improving my application. Med schools wouldn't care for that then?

You were not very clear when you said "time is taken off to address the barriers that occurred during school/doing a post-bacc or master's program". That could mean collecting yourself for a couple of years and then looking for a new pathway, or it could mean filling out SMP applications on the plane ride home.

The problem you are going to have is the same one that may have driven you to the Caribbean in the first place: there will be many applicants in the pool who are stronger than you, and not enough seats for everyone. If I were you I would find something else to pursue. If, in 5 years, the urge to try again is irrepressible, then start going through the process to reapply. You aren't going to get any traction until enough time has passed, and enough new experience accrued, to effectively render you a new person.
 
What these data fail to show are people who made it through SMPs or postbacs. My school has a few <500 people. Several of them are at the top of their class, and all are doing well.

Y'all need to stop obsessing on single metrics. A 490 score is a risk factor like a 300 total cholesterol, not a death sentence.

You also are missing the point. A bad MCAT is NOT the same as someone failing out of a med school.
Totally agree here with Goro @libertyyne. Me and a friend/classmate of mine (both M1s) had a <500 MCAT and are at a well established DO program and honoring classes so far. Ill also add that I am about avg intelligence. But, the MCAT is a VERY important part of the admissions process to med school and it really gives you an idea of what med school is like (not content wise but more how demanding it really is). It gives people an idea of the hard work and dedication that is required and the level at which you have to play while you are a med student. Before attending med school I was one of those people that would say “the MCAT is so dumb we dont need this test it means nothing”, and now I can assure you its important. There is a large part of it that tests who is willing to put in the work and who isnt. I study my absolute butt off in med school because thats what i know i have to do to get the grades i want but just because you didnt get a 510+ doesnt mean you cant succeed. I see some premeds lurking this site telling people they wont pass med school or boards if they dont have well over a 500. This is false IMO.
 
So recently quite a few students were academically dismissed from a Big 3 Caribbean school due to grades (they set the passing grade differently each semester using some algorithm and the Hofstede theory supposedly, no one really knows how they determine it). So curious to know if time is taken off to address the barriers that occurred during school/doing a post-bacc or master's program (also retaking the MCAT to achieve a high enough score for a US school) - is it necessary to report the dismissal from a Caribbean school and if so, how would this affect the chance of acceptance? Any advice on what to do to improve the chances of attending a US school?

***side note: found out I had undiagnosed anxiety and depression, which I am now receiving treatment for***

Medical school might not be in the cards and a more realistic pathway still with a lot of great opportunities would be nursing. Lots of us schools offer a second degree accelerated bsn nursing program. From there there are lot of opportunities to getting a msn and working ij anesthesia or eventually working towards a np.

Going to become a physician assistant is also another option within the medical field that has lots of opportunities. There are also other avenues within medicine that are supportive roles or research roles to look into that can he just as rewarding . Just some food for thought
 
Totally agree here with Goro @libertyyne. Me and a friend/classmate of mine (both M1s) had a <500 MCAT and are at a well established DO program and honoring classes so far. Ill also add that I am about avg intelligence. But, the MCAT is a VERY important part of the admissions process to med school and it really gives you an idea of what med school is like (not content wise but more how demanding it really is). It gives people an idea of the hard work and dedication that is required and the level at which you have to play while you are a med student. Before attending med school I was one of those people that would say “the MCAT is so dumb we dont need this test it means nothing”, and now I can assure you its important. There is a large part of it that tests who is willing to put in the work and who isnt. I study my absolute butt off in med school because thats what i know i have to do to get the grades i want but just because you didnt get a 510+ doesnt mean you cant succeed. I see some premeds lurking this site telling people they wont pass med school or boards if they dont have well over a 500. This is false IMO.
I'm glad you can draw broad ranging conclusions by your one month in medical school about the applicability and value about the MCAT and its relationship to success in medical school. I would urge any premeds to actually read the studies compared to your anecdote. The literature is fairly clear. The likelihood of board failure and attrition increases the lower the MCAT gets. This doesn't mean some people can't succeed. But more often than not people will have difficulties and attrition at those scores. That's the point. I would urge you to comeback and share your experience after taking step.
 
Last edited:
I can’t believe how theatric and mean this thread is to someone who just failed out of medical school.

Honestly, a very poor look for SDN. :/


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

These threads rarely have much of anything to do with the OP after the first half-page or so. After that it usually just disintegrates into the same tiresome anti-Carib script. It's about as predictable as it gets. Same people, same opinions, same everything. It's a lot like watching NASCAR, TBH. I was hoping for something more but this section is just more of the same that you'll find in the pre-med sections.
 
I can’t believe how theatric and mean this thread is to someone who just failed out of medical school.

Honestly, a very poor look for SDN. :/


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

SDN is primarily for advice. Blowing smoke up the OP’s ass so as to not step on any feelings is a waste of time.

This is not a “poor look for SDN.” This is called “getting real world advice from people involved in the process themselves.”

I have been on SDN since 2004 and I have always maintained that, within reason, one of the best features of this site is the ability to elicit bluntly honest opinions and criticism. Telling someone something they want to hear rather than telling them the truth does no good. And 10 years down the road, the OP won’t remember that some members on this thread didn’t coddle his precious psyche. He will (hopefully) be living by a better life because of the advice he received here. And that’s the whole purpose of asking for advice here.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Just because its 2018 and the trendy thing to do is scream at anyone who verbally invades one’s safe space doesn’t mean we should shy away from honest evaluations and introspection.
 
Totally agree here with Goro @libertyyne. Me and a friend/classmate of mine (both M1s) had a <500 MCAT and are at a well established DO program and honoring classes so far. Ill also add that I am about avg intelligence. But, the MCAT is a VERY important part of the admissions process to med school and it really gives you an idea of what med school is like (not content wise but more how demanding it really is). It gives people an idea of the hard work and dedication that is required and the level at which you have to play while you are a med student. Before attending med school I was one of those people that would say “the MCAT is so dumb we dont need this test it means nothing”, and now I can assure you its important. There is a large part of it that tests who is willing to put in the work and who isnt. I study my absolute butt off in med school because thats what i know i have to do to get the grades i want but just because you didnt get a 510+ doesnt mean you cant succeed. I see some premeds lurking this site telling people they wont pass med school or boards if they dont have well over a 500. This is false IMO.

Dude you literally just contradicted yourself and started rambling. First you talk about how the MCAT isn't a good predictor of success in medical school, using yourself as an example, sub 500 score, but honoring classes now. Then you talk about how important the MCAT is because it does predict the difficulty of med school and assessing who is willing to put in the work and who isn't for downstream success.

So which one is it. Make up your mind.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When 40~ percent of total matriculants is comprised of less than 500 mcats, I am not holding my breath for strict quality control on behalf of new DO schools.
View attachment 239294

A few things:
1. That group of people with <500 is actually 38% of the people that took the new MCAT for the 2016 class (meaning those who took it between 2015-2016). That number is actually, per your table, only 16% of all DO matriculants in 2016.
2. A 500 is something like a 24 on the old MCAT (although supposedly they can't always be directly correlated), so to be fair, it comes out to ~34% (or a bit more than 1/3) who are in that range for both the old and new exams.
3. Its also only one metric, and admittedly probably the weakest one for DO matriculants (probably ~2/3 of DOs that go DO because they couldn't get into a US MD school didn't get a good MCAT score). This really says nothing about the other metrics or likelihood of OP getting admitted.

That said, I do not inherently disagree that after years of work, it might be possible for OP to enter a less competitive/new DO school.

Appreciate the blunt honesty.

It seems like there was an assumption to immediately go back and try for US schools.
But that is not the case, I meant taking a few years to improve mental health and doing well in a Master's program (or SMP if possible), including retaking the MCAT and improving my application. Med schools wouldn't care for that then?

I would strongly recommend considering other options. You're going to have to do some soul searching, and really evaluate other possible career paths to make sure that medicine is the only thing you'd truly be happy doing. I'd recommend at least 2-3 years of other experiences before definitively making a decision. Its a freakin long road full of missed family get-togethers, missed weddings, birthdays, holidays, lost time with loved ones, sleepless nights/weeks, incredible physical and emotional stress, hell even missed funerals, a never ending sense of responsibility for your patients (we're talking mistakes you made keeping you up at night, being haunted by the people you harmed - which you will do), etc. and in the end there's a strong possibility that you won't get what you want. You really have to be all-in for it. Its going to be even harder given that you've already struggled with the material.

If at the end of the day, you feel like you just have to try it, then I'd recommend 1-2 yrs of post-bac/SMP, retake the MCAT, apply broadly, and cross your fingers. You will likely have to admit that you were dismissed from the Carib, so don't entertain the idea of not doing so.

Think about why you wanted to become a doctor. Look at some other careers and see how they can fill that need. The reality is that you may spend 100s of thousands of dollars and countless years chasing this without the certainty of being able to become a doctor at the end of the day. You could apply to SMPs that guarantee admission after successfully completing the program. But I would take some time off right now and do some soul searching and understand the reason why this is important and see if there is another pathway to meet that need. You need to get better, and fix what went wrong in the first place, with undergrad, mcat, and now carrib.

This advise is solid.

I'm glad you can draw broad ranging conclusions by your one month in medical school about the applicability and value about the MCAT and its relationship to success in medical school. I would urge any premeds to actually read the studies compared to your anecdote. The literature is fairly clear. The likelihood of board failure and attrition increases the lower the MCAT gets. This doesn't mean some people can't succeed. But more often than not people will have difficulties and attrition at those scores. That's the point. I would urge you to comeback and share your experience after taking step.

Just to point something out, you don't really see a bigger drop in passing of the USMLE Steps/completion until around 24-25 (~500 I guess), and even then from what I recall from the AAMC data is that its the majority (70-80%) of people with those scores that still pass. Unfortunately, its hard to know what that really means, because the lower you go the more the data shrinks.

I would also say if someone really spent a solid amount of time (probably a couple months at least) primarily studying for the MCAT and maybe completed a review course, and the best they could get was a low 20s, then yeah that person is going to struggle. That said, I knew a lot of people in my school that had poor MCAT scores because they didn't know how to study, didn't take practice tests, didn't use solid resources for review, and spent a couple wks on the material. Those people actually did OK and average on the USMLE.

Some people are also just inherently more prepared by their colleges with the basic foundational material, and as a result don't need as much review. I remember the first diagnostic I took with 0 review time after my sophomore year of college (eons ago) was a mid-20s estimated score, so getting >30 was pretty doable with even mild test prep.
 
All this MCAT arguing is kind of moot, because things like the MCAT are used as predictors for academic difficulties later in medical school. OP already has been academically dismissed, from a Caribbean school at that. That trumps everything.

The point is that even a greatly improved MCAT, grades, whatever, may not be enough to overcome that astronomical of a black mark on OP's record. If I remember correctly, the application asks if you were ever dismissed from a program before, and I'm pretty sure checking that box sends your app directly to the circular file for most programs.
 
All this MCAT arguing is kind of moot, because things like the MCAT are used as predictors for academic difficulties later in medical school. OP already has been academically dismissed, from a Caribbean school at that. That trumps everything.

The point is that even a greatly improved MCAT, grades, whatever, may not be enough to overcome that astronomical of a black mark on OP's record. If I remember correctly, the application asks if you were ever dismissed from a program before, and I'm pretty sure checking that box sends your app directly to the circular file for most programs.
App forms also ask if you have ever matriculated at another medical school.
 
I'm glad you can draw broad ranging conclusions by your one month in medical school about the applicability and value about the MCAT and its relationship to success in medical school. I would urge any premeds to actually read the studies compared to your anecdote. The literature is fairly clear. The likelihood of board failure and attrition increases the lower the MCAT gets. This doesn't mean some people can't succeed. But more often than not people will have difficulties and attrition at those scores. That's the point. I would urge you to comeback and share your experience after taking step.
I would be glad to share my step experiences after i take it
 
Please show me a single situation where a do school took a Caribbean wash out.

Not likely? No, it’s totally f’ing impossible unless your dad donates $50 million to the endowment,

Even going conservatively, the investment returns on 50 million would be 2 million per year.

That would be a baller life without ever having to work
 
As username456789 alluded to above, people come to SDN for realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.

SDN is primarily for advice. Blowing smoke up the OP’s ass so as to not step on any feelings is a waste of time.

This is not a “poor look for SDN.” This is called “getting real world advice from people involved in the process themselves.”

I have been on SDN since 2004 and I have always maintained that, within reason, one of the best features of this site is the ability to elicit bluntly honest opinions and criticism. Telling someone something they want to hear rather than telling them the truth does no good. And 10 years down the road, the OP won’t remember that some members on this thread didn’t coddle his precious psyche. He will (hopefully) be living by a better life because of the advice he received here. And that’s the whole purpose of asking for advice here.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Just because its 2018 and the trendy thing to do is scream at anyone who verbally invades one’s safe space doesn’t mean we should shy away from honest evaluations and introspection.

There's a difference between being "theatrical and mean" as I said, and "blowing smoke up the OP's ass" or "hugs and kisses."

OP is an emotional mess because he just failed out of school, whether he admits it or not. It should be obvious that being taunted about it is not going to help him make a rational decision going forward.

There was a point in my life where I enjoyed threads like these where there was someone we could all dump on for making a bad decision or a series of bad decisions.

I have not been active on SDN for a while because med school and friends have filled that void for me. My gf pointed this thread out to me and I wanted to comment because I genuinely hope that the next time someone shows up who has potentially ruined their hopes and dreams (whether it be because of ignorance or stupidity), the initial reaction will be that of sadness and realistic encouragement instead of mean spirited lambasting and sarcasm.
 
There's a difference between being "theatrical and mean" as I said, and "blowing smoke up the OP's ass" or "hugs and kisses."

OP is an emotional mess because he just failed out of school, whether he admits it or not. It should be obvious that being taunted about it is not going to help him make a rational decision going forward.

There was a point in my life where I enjoyed threads like these where there was someone we could all dump on for making a bad decision or a series of bad decisions.

I have not been active on SDN for a while because med school and friends have filled that void for me. My gf pointed this thread out to me and I wanted to comment because I genuinely hope that the next time someone shows up who has potentially ruined their hopes and dreams (whether it be because of ignorance or stupidity), the initial reaction will be that of sadness and realistic encouragement instead of mean spirited lambasting and sarcasm.
We have very little tolerance for people engaging in self-sabotaging, if not outright foolish Behavior.
 
lol what ever dude. im sure people said that same to people with sub 488 mcats and yet they are matriculants at some DO school somewhere and there were 21 of them.

And if you look at the AAMC charts there were 8 people accepted to USMD schools with scores below 486 and an additional 20 with scores below 489 and several of those people had GPAs below 3.0. Yea, there's a correlation between MCAT and medical school success, but apparently MD schools also find reasons to admit people with abysmal MCATs and it's not really relevant to this convo.

Appreciate the blunt honesty.

It seems like there was an assumption to immediately go back and try for US schools.
But that is not the case, I meant taking a few years to improve mental health and doing well in a Master's program (or SMP if possible), including retaking the MCAT and improving my application. Med schools wouldn't care for that then?

I wouldn't consider reapplying without 6-8 years of solid work in healthcare under your belt and a significantly improved application. Even then you'd still be a huge underdog everywhere due to your previous failure in the Carib. So you not only need to significantly improve your application to the point you'd actually be competitive in the US, you have to prove that your past mistakes are behind you, you have learned from them, and you have grown enough that they can be overlooked or at least forgiven. That is extremely difficult to do and likely not worth it for the vast majority of people. As others have said I'd pursue a different career path and if 6-8 years from now you still can't see yourself doing anything else you can give it another shot.

In general though I'd advise you to find another career path and not waste more time and/or money on a path that is more than likely a pipe dream at this point.
 
And if you look at the AAMC charts there were 8 people accepted to USMD schools with scores below 486 and an additional 20 with scores below 489 and several of those people had GPAs below 3.0. Yea, there's a correlation between MCAT and medical school success, but apparently MD schools also find reasons to admit people with abysmal MCATs and it's not really relevant to this convo.



I wouldn't consider reapplying without 6-8 years of solid work in healthcare under your belt and a significantly improved application. Even then you'd still be a huge underdog everywhere due to your previous failure in the Carib. So you not only need to significantly improve your application to the point you'd actually be competitive in the US, you have to prove that your past mistakes are behind you, you have learned from them, and you have grown enough that they can be overlooked or at least forgiven. That is extremely difficult to do and likely not worth it for the vast majority of people. As others have said I'd pursue a different career path and if 6-8 years from now you still can't see yourself doing anything else you can give it another shot.

In general though I'd advise you to find another career path and not waste more time and/or money on a path that is more than likely a pipe dream at this point.
the conversation was about likelihood. With less than half of all matriculants and 2~ times as many sub 488. I would say DO schools would be more forgiving, especially new ones. Ergo the point of possible acceptance to those after rehabilitation.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: W19
the conversation was about likelihood. With less than half of all matriculants and 2~ times as many sub 488. I would say DO schools would be more forgiving, especially new ones. Ergo the point of possible acceptance to those after rehabilitation.

Fair enough. They may be the most forgiving, however I think the likelihood that any would accept OP at this point is essentially zero if they knew (s)he had failed out of a Caribbean school. No need to take the risk when they have thousands of other applicants to choose from without such a glaring red flag.
 
nd if you look at the AAMC charts there were 8 people accepted to USMD schools with scores below 486 and an additional 20 with scores below 489 and several of those people had GPAs below 3.0. Yea, there's a correlation between MCAT and medical school success, but apparently MD schools also find reasons to admit people with abysmal MCATs and it's not really relevant to this convo.

Multiple people have posted through the years here about being accepted with <20 MCAT scores, but if memory serves, 100% of them were former active duty military medics or officers, usually with special decoration.

While there are things can overcome poor academics, they're typically things the average applicant will never achieve.
 
Multiple people have posted through the years here about being accepted with <20 MCAT scores, but if memory serves, 100% of them were former active duty military medics or officers, usually with special decoration.

While there are things can overcome poor academics, they're typically things the average applicant will never achieve.

Of course, I was simply pointing out the fallacy that such applicants only exist at DO schools. There are more than a couple at MD programs as well and I actually know a couple. One of whom did not meet any of the criteria one would suspect such as minority status or former military (got in off connections). That's neither here nor there in reference to this thread though and I would not recommend OP continuing to pursue medical school anytime in the near future regardless of their current MCAT or even a drastically improved one in the next 3-4 years.
 
We have very little tolerance for people engaging in self-sabotaging, if not outright foolish Behavior.


While it's true that SDN is a great place to get honest and sometimes blunt advice, we have also been seeing an increasing number of people who can't seem to figure out that there's a line between being honest and blunt and being a jerk about it. The first one is helpful, if uncomfortable, the latter isn't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have very little tolerance for people engaging in self-sabotaging, if not outright foolish Behavior.

I think there’s a lot of piling on that happens in these instances, unfortunately. I am certainly guilty of having done so in the past. I agree that it certainly doesn’t help the OP’s feeling crappy to pile on him. But seeking validation from anonymous folks online is sort of asking for trouble

As someone alluded above there’s a fine line between being blunt and being a jerk. This I suspect doesn’t come across easily online because it’s (a) easier to be mean behind a computer screen and (b) sometimes intent is poorly conveyed via text.
 
While it's true that SDN is a great place to get honest and sometimes blunt advice, we have also been seeing an increasing number of people who can't seem to figure out that there's a line between being honest and blunt and being a jerk about it. The first one is helpful, if uncomfortable, the latter isn't.
I've noticed a "piling on" effect lately, as well.
 
And if you look at the AAMC charts there were 8 people accepted to USMD schools with scores below 486 and an additional 20 with scores below 489 and several of those people had GPAs below 3.0. Yea, there's a correlation between MCAT and medical school success, but apparently MD schools also find reasons to admit people with abysmal MCATs and it's not really relevant to this convo.



I wouldn't consider reapplying without 6-8 years of solid work in healthcare under your belt and a significantly improved application. Even then you'd still be a huge underdog everywhere due to your previous failure in the Carib. So you not only need to significantly improve your application to the point you'd actually be competitive in the US, you have to prove that your past mistakes are behind you, you have learned from them, and you have grown enough that they can be overlooked or at least forgiven. That is extremely difficult to do and likely not worth it for the vast majority of people. As others have said I'd pursue a different career path and if 6-8 years from now you still can't see yourself doing anything else you can give it another shot.

In general though I'd advise you to find another career path and not waste more time and/or money on a path that is more than likely a pipe dream at this point.
I don't think it is as impossible as you make it out to be with the proliferation of med school (especially DO). I think OP can get back in the game in 3 yrs if he/she does what I said in post #85
 
Last edited:
There is some value to be had in the piling on, especially if those doing so are well established posters and/or people heavily involved with the admissions process at their institution. The opinion of one or two might be easily dismissed by someone looking for false hope, but a near unanimous consensus sends a much more powerful message.

That message is precisely what we all hope will help the OP make a transition from medicine into another career. The sooner he does so, the sooner he can start rebuilding his life and working toward those things that are really important. He has wasted relatively little time in pursuit of medicine so far and has plenty of time to find another path and probably be earning a good living sooner than had he stuck with medicine.
 
I don't think it is as impossible as you make it out to be with the proliferation of med school (especially DO). I think OP can get back in the game in 3 yrs if he/she does what I said in post #85

Even new medical schools would be very, very hesitant to take a Caribbean dropout. It's not like they won't have hundreds or even thousands of other applicants who don't have massive red flags on their applications. Even with a postbacc and 505 MCAT, they'd still have to explain why they couldn't cut it in medical school before. Which is a much bigger task than you're making it out to be.
 
And FYI, don't dig yourself into a bigger hole by trying for pharmacy school. The job market there hurts really bad.
With hard work, consider getting a nursing degree -> Nurse practitioner or CRNA. This can get you to a 100 k or so salary in < 4-5 years.
Considering all the options touted here for remaining in health care and seeing patients, this appears to be the best.
 
Might be worth it to apply to one of the new DO schools if you are dead set on it, but don't waste your money/time on doing a SMP/post-bac. It's going to be a hail mary, and doing one of those programs won't increase your chances at that hail mary
Even new DO schools have standards. I know for sure my school wouldn't accept him/her.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
 
I was about to say, even the new DO schools have averages in the 3.4 and 500 region.

There was a lot of good info in these posts. Hopefully OP finds a way to rebound this failure.

Op seriously consider Podiatry Dentistry Optometry physical therapy or nurse practitioner if you still want the “doctor” experience with patient care and such.

Otherwise, I’ve heard good things about computer science and IT.
 
I was about to say, even the new DO schools have averages in the 3.4 and 500 region.

There was a lot of good info in these posts. Hopefully OP finds a way to rebound this failure.

Op seriously consider Podiatry Dentistry Optometry physical therapy or nurse practitioner if you still want the “doctor” experience with patient care and such.

Otherwise, I’ve heard good things about computer science and IT.
I agree if DO doesnt workout then maybe dental or Pod if you still wanna be a doctor and have the clinical experience with calling the shots. And please never consider chiro
 
I was about to say, even the new DO schools have averages in the 3.4 and 500 region.

There was a lot of good info in these posts. Hopefully OP finds a way to rebound this failure.

Op seriously consider Podiatry Dentistry Optometry physical therapy or nurse practitioner if you still want the “doctor” experience with patient care and such.

Otherwise, I’ve heard good things about computer science and IT.
The return on investment for PT is not too good...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad