Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anvansch,

i was accepted at berkeley so i can't speak to why they reject people but i will say (as someone who also attended berkeley as an undergrad), they really like people with interesting life stories. so if you come across in your personal statement as a person who is outside the box, that helps. i don't know your story but from all the people i've known who went to berkeley, i have to say intelligence wasn't the biggest factor that got them in. i knew someone in undergrad who didn't understand fractions! yet, she had a really interesting life story and they must have felt she would bring different perspectives to the school.

just my 2 cents.

alice

Oh man.
This sort of stuff makes me feel terrible for having lived an absolutely average life. I knew I should have scaled Mt. Kilimanjaro when I had the chance!

Members don't see this ad.

Yea. I saw your post above and I turned in everything on time. They have received everything according to the online application thingy.

i mean the usc MHA full tuition dean merit seems enticing, but like i wonder whether it is worth it. I'm pre-dental as well and finished undergrad in 3 yrs. right now in my jr. year but grad. this semester.

I'm not sure on how the usc mha program is. But ima attend the dean's event on march 25th just to take a look at things.

But thx for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
Please, does anyone know anything about Yales's APMPH program??
need some info in my decision making.
thanks

I have still only heard from one school (Columbia) and I'm getting kind of nervous...

Has anyone else not heard from Hopkins MHA? or UNC MHA?

OR...anyone who was accepted to VCU MHA program...how did your online application change to reflect that you were accepted? I know they generally accept at the interview, but because of strange circumstances, I interviewed early and they told me they would let me know after my 'actual' interview day...but now, my online application has changed from 'there are incomplete items outstanding' to 'current program: masters of health admin'...what does this mean??? have i gotten accepted and just haven't received a letter in the mail??

I am getting extremely nervous...I haven't heard from my top two schools....

hey eatpray, when did you hear from columbia and for what program?

thx

Is anyone else still waiting for Columbia? I feel all alone and I'm getting worried because I haven't even gotten their financial aid app. I'm starting to think I should just decide between the schools that notified me early and forget about those that haven't, but I don't really want to do that.

I got in to columbia but never received the financial app like everyone else... I was freaking out thinking i was rejected... There's so many programs/departments within the school, so who knows what's up. They really haven't been organized (from what I can tell). I wouldn't worry about it!

Hi,
I am curious if anyone who was accepted to Tulane received any financial award information at the time of acceptance? If not, has any received any financial assistance (outside of loans) since they received their acceptance. My acceptance came via email and they said I would receive something in the mail in a few weeks. I really want to go and visit but would like to know first.

Thanks!
Jaya

Hi,
I am curious if anyone who was accepted to Tulane received any financial award information at the time of acceptance? If not, has any received any financial assistance (outside of loans) since they received their acceptance. My acceptance came via email and they said I would receive something in the mail in a few weeks. I really want to go and visit but would like to know first.

Thanks!
Jaya

Hey Jaya, I went down to visit and they told me that I would receive a $5,000 scholarship given to some of the people who are doing Master's International (it wasn't an official notification, but she said all people doing masters international are considered, but since I'm also an RPCV I could go ahead and bank on getting it - I got a really good scholarship from Emory though so I honestly forgot about it and haven't gotten an official notification yet) - She specifically said "that's really the only free money there is"

I don't know if she meant that they give no scholarships what-so-ever, but it kind of sounded like they don't give out much money.

hey eatpray, when did you hear from columbia and for what program?

thx

I was notified of my acceptance on feb. 11 for health policy and management. My app was submitted on 1/4 and complete on 1/28...strange that it was my last submission, and yet my first acceptance...

Hey Jaya, I went down to visit and they told me that I would receive a $5,000 scholarship given to some of the people who are doing Master's International (it wasn't an official notification, but she said all people doing masters international are considered, but since I'm also an RPCV I could go ahead and bank on getting it - I got a really good scholarship from Emory though so I honestly forgot about it and haven't gotten an official notification yet) - She specifically said "that's really the only free money there is"

I don't know if she meant that they give no scholarships what-so-ever, but it kind of sounded like they don't give out much money.

Thank, Awapi. That is interesting. So is the $5,000 only for the MI program if you are an RPCV. I thought they had a PC Fellows Program, too. I don't even remember anymore :) I am a RPCV but I'm not doing MI.

Thank, Awapi. That is interesting. So is the $5,000 only for the MI program if you are an RPCV. I thought they had a PC Fellows Program, too. I don't even remember anymore :) I am a RPCV but I'm not doing MI.

From what I was told, that specific scholarship is only for Masters International students (those planning to do a PC service after they complete their studies on campus). They've only had a couple of RPCVs do MI in the past at any of the schools I applied to...so the money is for MI students regardless of whether or not they are an RPCV...she just told me that I had an edge to get it because I'm the only MI accepted student who is also an RPCV (that's just what I was told, but who knows, I may not have gotten it, but I mailed in my card to decline my spot on Friday so I probably will never know). Tulane doesn't have a fellow's program, just MI, they do have MI coordinators which are RPCVs who coordinate the MI program. I'm sure they get a tuition offset or something for it, but there are only 2 positions and since it's generally a 3 semester MPH they aren't filled every fall (only when someone graduates or doesn't want to do it anymore - or that's what I was told by one of the coordinators who just started doing it this semester, meaning there probably won't be another opening until at least next spring).

Some people may call that "fellows," I know Emory has RPCV "fellows" who coordinate the MI program, but it is not a technical Fellows Program through the Peace Corps (like that you can find on the grad school portion of the PC website) but just a program Emory has started and is calling the 2-4 RPCVs chosen "Fellows."

You should email the financial aid office at Tulane and just ask if they offer any merit scholarships or otherwise (and maybe bring up the $5k, maybe I was told wrong, perhaps RPCVs are considered for that as well even if they aren't MI). She told me they were making the final decision on those $5k scholarships the first week of March and would send out notification later in the month, but it wouldn't hurt to know if you were considered for it or not.

Good luck!

Thanks again, Awapi. After more searching I found what I need to do for the financial aid process. Also, it appears that both RPCVs and MI students are likely contenders for the $5,000. However, I assume there are a number of RPVCs who attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane also has a large (and growing) undergraduate public health degree program, so there are a lot of chances to get a TA position. I think they pay a little over 1,000 a semester. Its not exactly financial aid, but every bit helps.

Speaking of Tulane, has anyone else still not heard anything from admissions?

For anyone else still waiting on BU, they told me last week that they would be sending out some decisions this week. Some of them should be for people who responded to the additional information email, but there may be some that didn't too.

injust: If you haven't heard anything in a long time from Tulane, you might try calling them. I received my decision from them over the phone long before I got the packet in the mail. They don't send an email or anything.

Speaking of Tulane, has anyone else still not heard anything from admissions?
injust: I also have not heard from Tulane. My app was designated on SOPHAS 2/12/11, and mailed 2/16/11. A friend of mine applied a couple days later and heard back early last week, so I was wondering the same thing as you. You're not alone!

Thank you, c504. That is helpful.

Injust and MPH seeker, I heard back from Tulane via email last Tuesday. I posted earlier how I had to read the email twice to make sure I was accepted. The subject line says something like: Application Status. I prefer just an easy, straightforward congratulations in the subject heading :) However, I think that calling them is fine, too.

Is anyone else still waiting for Columbia? I feel all alone and I'm getting worried because I haven't even gotten their financial aid app. I'm starting to think I should just decide between the schools that notified me early and forget about those that haven't, but I don't really want to do that.

hey epi, i'm on the same boat. :xf:
it seems like i'm the only one on the forum that applied to the MPH in PopFam under the Sexuality & Health track? yes?
i have yet to hear back from Columbia as well as NYU and CUNY Hunter College.
Has anyone heard back from NYU's Community Public Health MPH?
Thanks!

Hello, Here are my stats:

Gre V: 500 Q: 680 AW: 4
undergrad GPA: 3.3 in Biology
graduated last year, been volunteering with the Red Cross since

I applied to many programs because I wasn't sure of my chances. Plus, I was very late in the game, so I'm very relieved to hear back from several schools

All environmental health programs:
Accepted: Emory (MPH), Pitt (MPH), UIC (MS), Ohio (MPH), UAB (MSPH)
Waiting: USF, MICH, SDSU, Minnesota, UGA
Rejected: none so far

No word on finacial aid, which will be a signifiant factor in my decision-making process.

Last edited:
Ugh, UNC and BU are taking foreveeeeeerrrrrr. I no longer wish to go to BU, but UNC is still up for consideration. I was told I would hear something in about a week... two weeks ago. I guess I was plopped in their "maybe" pile.

So I've been waiting to hear back from all my schools before I posted this and now I finally have-

Accepted: Johns Hopkins, Columbia (10k merit scholarship per yr.), Yale, Emory, UCLA, Tulane, GWU, U. South Carolina, UPitt and UMDNJ (I never submitted the supplemental application and fee but they still accepted me haha)
Rejected: Harvard

The only work experience I have is doing peer education through my University's Health Services (that's why I applied to so many programs...out of fear that I was lacking in work experience). I am graduating with a BS in Public Health in May.

All the programs are health promotion/education/behavior science programs.

GPA: 3.95
GRE: 540 V, 680Q, AW: 5.0

Good luck to everyone hearing back and congratulations on all your acceptances!! This forum has really helped me get through this entire application process, thank you all!!! :D

Anyone else get an email the other day from GWU regarding a 2nd semester overseas program? The email began with "Congrats on your recent acceptance to the GWU MPH program" however, I haven't heard anything back yet and my app was forwarded to the department January 7th. Anyone else been waiting this long for GWU?

I sent an email asking if this actually means I was accepted and their response was vague: "Thank you for your application. You may have received an e-mail regarding our OLC-Second Semester Intensive program. This information was intended for applicants who have received official notification from George Washington University of their acceptance. As your application is still under review, we apologize for any confusion this may have caused."

Is that a good sign? Will it help if I call? Did anyone else get this?

You should call columbias admissions office. Did you check to see that all of your application materials got in on time?

Do you think you are going to take the full ride to usc over the other schools though? I was also offered the same scholarship, and I'm trying to decide. See my post above.

Columbia tend's to lose things. They lost my application twice. I didn't hear back until April 16th, one day after the deadline of submitting the deposit to attend.

Keep calling and calling.

hey epi, i'm on the same boat. :xf:
it seems like i'm the only one on the forum that applied to the MPH in PopFam under the Sexuality & Health track? yes?
i have yet to hear back from Columbia as well as NYU and CUNY Hunter College.
Has anyone heard back from NYU's Community Public Health MPH?
Thanks!

Don't worry. Columbia takes a while to notify people on time. Best advice is to keep calling and calling. They lost my application twice.

Is anyone coming to Columbia? If so, I recommend starting in the summer and knocking out your intro courses, such as epi and biostats. This will allow you to focus on things that really interest you right from the beginning in the fall.

Note: I am graduating from Columbia this summer. I am moving out July 1st. If there is any student interested that wants my stuff for cheap let me know. They will be less than 10 months old. I moved here September 1st, 2010.

I have a queen bed, a desk, desk light, and a huge lamp that has 5 light bulbs. Willing to sell cheap as I need to get rid of them. I live on campus in Tower 1, so it would be perfect for you to just move right in.

It is a hassle to go find a store and pay all the fee's for shipping, labor, and installation.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Have all the UCLA acceptances pretty much gone out already? I see that most of you heard back around mid-Feb for all the tracks. I'm on the waitlist for the MPH Epi track :oops: but there still is hope!... Just wondering when they're going to start another round of reviews and start looking at the waitlisted people.

Have any of you UCLA admits informed them that you will be/not be attending yet???

Here are my stats in case anyone is interested:

• Undergrad: BS Human Biology from UC school, Minor Psychology
  • GRE: V: 500 (English is my 2nd language) :p, Q: 680, AW: 5.0
  • 7 years total research experience working at different UC schools in infectious and genetic diseases.
  • International public health work volunteering in India.
  • General volunteer experience: hospitals, Special Olympics, CASA foundation, Center for AIDS Research, Habitat for Humanity.
  • 4 publications in national journals
  • 6 abstracts at national conferences
Acceptances: Yale, GW, Pitt, U of S Florida, USC, BU
Waitlist: UCLA (my #1 choice :D)
All MPH Epi programs

CONGRATS to everyone on their acceptances!! This forum has really helped me get through all this so much! :)

Have all the UCLA acceptances pretty much gone out already? I see that most of you heard back around mid-Feb for all the tracks. I'm on the waitlist for the MPH Epi track :oops: but there still is hope!... Just wondering when they're going to start another round of reviews and start looking at the waitlisted people.

Have any of you UCLA admits informed them that you will be/not be attending yet???

Here are my stats in case anyone is interested:

• Undergrad: BS Human Biology from UC school, Minor Psychology
  • GRE: V: 500 (English is my 2nd language) :p, Q: 680, AW: 5.0
  • 7 years total research experience working at different UC schools in infectious and genetic diseases.
  • International public health work volunteering in India.
  • General volunteer experience: hospitals, Special Olympics, CASA foundation, Center for AIDS Research, Habitat for Humanity.
  • 4 publications in national journals
  • 6 abstracts at national conferences
Acceptances: Yale, GW, Pitt, U of S Florida, USC, BU
Waitlist: UCLA (my #1 choice :D)
All MPH Epi programs

CONGRATS to everyone on their acceptances!! This forum has really helped me get through all this so much! :)

Holy hell. Now I'M SCARED!!! I haven't heard back from Harvard MPH yet and my work experience involves trying to teach the ABCs to five year olds- damn! I'm sure you'll get off the wait list at UCLA

I just found out that I got into BU with a 12,000 merit scholarship!! This basically only makes it comparably priced to the other schools I've heard from, but it makes my decision tougher now. My packet also included a handwritten note. Did others receive this as well? The packet didn't say which program as I was accepted into besides just MPH, but I'll assume it was the Epi concentration that I applied for. :)

GRE: 540 V, 680 Q, 4.5 AW
GPA: 3.34, recent undergrad
SOPHAS mailed: 12/8/10, but last LOR submitted 12/16/10
Programs: Epi, Global Epi, or Infectious Disease Epi where applicable
Acceptances: Tulane, GW, BU
Rejections: Yale, Emory
Still waiting: Columbia

Ugh, UNC and BU are taking foreveeeeeerrrrrr. I no longer wish to go to BU, but UNC is still up for consideration. I was told I would hear something in about a week... two weeks ago. I guess I was plopped in their "maybe" pile.

Agreed. If it makes you feel any better, there seem to be several of us waiting to hear back from UNC..... Some from HBHE, though it sounds like you might be considering another department.

Here's to hoping that UNC will send out decisions very soon!

Holy hell. Now I'M SCARED!!! I haven't heard back from Harvard MPH yet and my work experience involves trying to teach the ABCs to five year olds- damn! I'm sure you'll get off the wait list at UCLA

I don't know if you all realized this...but to get an MPH at Harvard you first have to have an MD or PhD, or a minimum master's degree with a few years experience. You can apply for the MsPH with just a bachelor's...

To those still waiting to hear from UC-Denver, I just asked admissions and they said they wouldn't be sending out decisions until early April. Is this normal? Seems a little late in the game as people are already making decisions and sending out deposits. They were my top choice, but now I'm starting to waver.

Award information was posted for me on Columbia's financial aid application site.

After being on the waitlist for just a week, I found out this morning that I was not offered admission to UCLA for Fall 2011 (My ultimate #1 choice) :( I am super disappointed since I thought my application was really strong and I have many years of research experience. Maybe my undergrad GPA was too low for them? (3.0)? I hoped that all my publications and volunteer experience would help me out... I want to stay in California and I also got into USC's MPH Epi program, so I might just end up going there. Got into some schools on the east coast but I don't want to leave my research job here in Cali so I don't know how I feel about moving... :-/

I was thinking about contacting someone in the department about what went wrong with my application. Do you guys think that's a good idea? At least I will know why, otherwise I'm going to drive myself crazy thinking about it for the rest of my life!!!

bummer :(

My award info for columbia was just posted too.
One confusing thing - I got a 10k per year merit award as part of my admission letter. The financial aid I received also includes a merit award - but it is less then the amount i was quoted in my admissions letter. Should i assume that this is an additional merit award? I'll contact financial aid, but i was just curious if anyone had this situation too.

Award information was posted for me on Columbia's financial aid application site.

How did you log in to see your award? Did you already commit to columbia? I went to the financial aid website but I needed student ID which I don't have...

In my FinAid letter for another school, they broke down my award into semesters, includuing a summer semester... might try factoring that into your calculations to see if it adds up...

How did you log in to see your award? Did you already commit to columbia? I went to the financial aid website but I needed student ID which I don't have...

Columbia sent out login information to complete their supplemental financial aid application. I used the same login information to view my financial aid package.

Summer semester!!!
yes, then it adds up...thanks!!!

In my FinAid letter for another school, they broke down my award into semesters, includuing a summer semester... might try factoring that into your calculations to see if it adds up...

Did you guys just hear from Columbia today? I'm still waiting for them and running out of patience. I already have planned trips to visit the other 3 schools that accepted me.

Welll columbia gave me a crap aid package.... sooooo that might be out...

Anyone else a lil frustrated with what they got? My whole year tuition isnt even covered :cool:

So this might be naive of me to ask but I just looked at my package and looked at your responses... what do you mean by crap package? I have $0 EFC but as this is grad school, wasn't expecting much scholarship beside for loans...

Heres kinda the basic breakdown... you want as much federal subsidized loans as possible because they dont earn interest, the next level are federal unsubsidized loans which are still good but you earn interest the second you start using them which will quickly add up to a couple thousand dollars but the rates are usually low. After that, you need to take out private loans from banks which usually have much higher rates of interest andddd can damage your credit score so things start to get really expensive.... Plus there are different ways to consolidate after graduation between all the loans and my understanding is that the rate that you need to pay things back are lower for federal loans vs. private loans.

If anyone might know more/if any of this is wrong, definitely jump in and add!

I have not heard back from schools yet, I applied late in the game. But I read your post and really could feel your pain. It's difficult to not get into a school that you had hoped to get into it. It's also tough to get up and leave a place where you are comfortable. But maybe it is worth visiting some of the schools on the East Cost (if you have not already), to be completely sure that you have chosen what is best for you. Don't get to discouraged though, you got admitted to some nice schools (I saw some of the schools in earlier posts).

After being on the waitlist for just a week, I found out this morning that I was not offered admission to UCLA for Fall 2011 (My ultimate #1 choice) :( I am super disappointed since I thought my application was really strong and I have many years of research experience. Maybe my undergrad GPA was too low for them? (3.0)? I hoped that all my publications and volunteer experience would help me out... I want to stay in California and I also got into USC's MPH Epi program, so I might just end up going there. Got into some schools on the east coast but I don't want to leave my research job here in Cali so I don't know how I feel about moving... :-/

I was thinking about contacting someone in the department about what went wrong with my application. Do you guys think that's a good idea? At least I will know why, otherwise I'm going to drive myself crazy thinking about it for the rest of my life!!!

bummer :(

Accepted into London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) for MScPH- start date Sept 2011!

Hi, I was accepted too exp.for Public Health in Developing Countries. Did you only apply to programs in Europe or were you looking in the US as well? How do you feel about the 12 versus 2 years aspect?

Hopkins and UNC, you're killing me...anybody heard from either of them? (esp. HBHE @ UNC or International Health @ Hopkins?)

Also, I checked my Columbia info. My merit scholarship didn't show up on there, just loans, so I'm assuming if a scholarship did show up with a different amount than the one on the letter it is an additional scholarship.

I'm still waiting on Hopkins for Epi....I submitted Dec. 1 :/ I was told this week or next I would hear (then again they told me a week earlier that I would hear the first week in March...)

Hey guys, just FYI for those who were waiting to hear from Emory on Merit awards, etc. I got an email today with the monthly newsletter and there was a section: http://www.sph.emory.edu/cms/prospective_students/documents/Newsletter_March_2011.pdf
specifically referring to it. They say that all people with completed applications by Jan 14 (including test scores) were considered. It says at this point all merit award nominees have been notified.

I know that I had seen on several threads where some people had mentioned Emory and that they were waiting to make decisions on schools until they got financial aid offers, I just thought that information/link might be helpful to anyone still waiting! It does say that there sometimes comes additional funding opportunities, so you may still get something, but I would think it would be helpful to know that merit scholarships are completed at this point (according to Emory).

Good luck everyone!